• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's Next Project - 'New Halo 3 Campaign Experience'

The only thing that I can fathom from this is that Bungie are preparing to "drop" Halo 3 (hand the multiplayer stuff over to Gearbox), and move onto this game they are showing here.

Nutter

Mr Vociferous said:
Curious about the Halo 3 reference myself, but it's clear that we're watching ODST HEVs fall from the sky into various cities or districts which appear to be in Africa. It's also clear that these events take place in 2552, around the time of the trilogy. It looks like a completely different game using the Halo 3 engine, but other than that I can't figure out what the Halo 3 reference really is.
That city seems to be New Mombasa, infact if remember correctly that one building is even in Headlong from Halo 2. So it Could be about the events immediately following the Slipspace jump (remember the chief followed regret through the portal) but this is about what is going on earth. And from the end of Halo 2, the admiral makes it clear that the covenant is owning the UNSC's ass.

Wurm

Banned
Completely bored of Bungie's hype engine and teaser shit. Its Halo 3 again, wow. SuperIntendant seemed like something interesting and fresh. Oh well eh!

I was disappointed by both Halo 2 and 3, so forgive me if showing nothing substantial at all a year later doesnt get me excited at all. So no release window, no gameplay, nothing. I hate teasers, I really do. They amount to essentially a sentence that can be listed on a retail site: ODST Halo 3 Expansion. Great.

GitarooMan said:
Isn't this the kind of stuff you'd expect Gearbox/Halo Team/some other group to do instead of Bungie? It really reeks of an attempt to jump through the MS hurdles in the separation contracts and move on to something else as quickly as possible.

:lol Good lord

Checking at HBO, I think Bungie very much designed this as a puzzle for their community,

The countdown has ended, and the reveal is... staggering. A new teaser trailer, filled with win. I won't spoil it for you, but I WILL tell you that there is a TON of information in this one. This will be picked over, frame by frame, but the Halo faithful - but even a first watching should get your blood pumping. It's available on Bungie.net, of course (WMP9 and QuickTime, served up from speedy Microsoft hosts), and shortly on Xbox Live Marketplace, in glorious HD. If, for whatever reason, you can't get to Bungie.net, the download links are here:

This trailer's a present to the fans, it's an inside number, it's filled with Halo Lore that might not be understood by casual audiences. Everyone else is going to need some context.

Anyone have a physchic plant and asari? I can give you some genetic memories to understand the clues.

donmat.jpg

I tried to warn you, bitches....

Wizpig

Bungie, prepare for the GAF hate! [sigh]

But i think it was pretty cool.
I had my share of "WTF" moment, but i can't wait for this expansion.

They took the Half-Life expansions route.

Wow that was a let down.

I thought Bungie cut the chains of MS so they would not have to do another Halo game. Much less a f'ing expansion pack for it.

Free Bungie!

TDG

Banned
Kildace said:
More like I can't believe that it's only a teaser and not an actual trailer. I hate teasers.
It's a teaser trailer. A trailer that only teases something.

It's definitely confusing, but i have to wonder what some of you were hoping for... I don't think Bungie ever indicated that this would be anything more than a teaser.

Deathcraze said:
So definitely ODST themed then, but is that meant to be New Mombasa as Regret bails out?

At 0:52, the HUD says "MBARAKI.2552"

Mbaraki, Kenya.

And at 0:10, it says TANAGA.0086
Filipino poem, consisting of four lines with seven syllables each with the same rhyme at the end of each line --- that is to say a 7-7-7-7 Syllabic verse, with an AAAA rhyme scheme

0:14, the HUD says LUMUMBA.0624

Underneath the time, it says SIERRA117 LOC UNK

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I though it was fine, want to know more of course. I think some people need to have there mom tuck them back in and go back to sleep so they can calm down a little.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
LunaticPuma said:
That city is definitely NOT New Mombasa. The orbital elevator was still standing in the background after the explosion/blast.

Pause at 14 secs look at the left side of screen.

Uncle

Keyser Soze said:
The only thing that I can fathom from this is that Bungie are preparing to "drop" Halo 3 (hand the multiplayer stuff over to Gearbox), and move onto this game they are showing here.

Maybe you are a fathom or two short still.

Kildace

Wizpig said:
Bungie, prepare for the GAF hate! [sigh]

But i think it was pretty cool.
I had my share of "WTF" moment, but i can't wait for this expansion.

They took the Half-Life expansions route.

I also thought it was cool enough, I was just expecting more and definitely not an expansion.

TDG said:
It's definitely confusing, but i have to wonder what some of you were hoping for... I don't think Bungie ever indicated that this would be anything more than a teaser.

I hadn't really followed the hype machine, I only knew that the announcement was today. Microsoft under Mattrick had been pretty good so far at only unveiling games with a lot of media when they were close to completion so that's what I was expecting.

Wurm said:
Completely bored of Bungie's hype engine and teaser shit. Its Halo 3 again, wow. SuperIntendant seemed like something interesting and fresh. Oh well eh!

I was disappointed by both Halo 2 and 3, so forgive me if showing nothing substantial at all a year later doesnt get me excited at all. So no release window, no gameplay, nothing. I hate teasers, I really do. They amount to essentially a sentence that can be listed on a retail site: ODST Halo 3 Expansion. Great.
I'm with you, man. I want something new, not just more of that game that didn't really impress me all that much a year ago and I don't really have much interest in going back to.

g23

European pre-madonna
Imagine it though. The ODST "Helljumpers" really rely on teamwork. This could be like Medal of Honor: Airborne with the Halo 3 engine and with Bungie's polish. What would be killer is if it were 3rd person or even RTS perspective (Bungie has RTS experience). All squad-based of coarse. (Sorta what the Killzone game on PST was like).

So this is basically the E3 2003 trailer minus the Chief plus ODSTs and with Halo 3's engine?

Where do I sign up?

Don't think this is related to the Slipspace Event though, the tether's still up at the end of the trailer. I think it's around the time of Halo 2 if I were to guess...

voltron

GhaleonEB said:
:lol

Definately looks like an ODST-based game. The setup is New Mombassa, the city on earth that the level "Metropolis" takes place in Halo 3.

"Prepare to Drop" is the dead give away, as are the orbital drop pods. The group of them that seperate off from the mass is probably the squad.

What confuses me is the "Halo 3" at the end. It's a new game....but it's Halo 3? What?

Because its not a full new game

Dirtbag

GhaleonEB said:

Definately looks like an ODST-based game. The setup is New Mombassa, the city on earth that the level "Metropolis" takes place in Halo 3.

"Prepare to Drop" is the dead give away, as are the orbital drop pods. The group of them that seperate off from the mass is probably the squad.

What confuses me is the "Halo 3" at the end. It's a new game....but it's Halo 3? What?

I'm so confused.
So halo3 mythic?

That was pretty awesome. ODSTs should make for a much different experience than playing as Master Chief. And not that the comparison needs to be made, but didn't the ruined cityscape remind anyone of KZ2 just a tad?

Phatcorns

LunaticPuma said:
That city is definitely NOT New Mombasa. The orbital elevator was still standing in the background after the explosion/blast.

Look at :13 in the video. It says <evacuate> CITY OF NEW MOMBASA

Wolffen

GhaleonEB said:

As others have mentioned, it's probably to Halo 3 as Crysis:Warhead is to Crysis. Expansion pack.

This has to be what the Firefly actors were talking about months ago.

GhaleonEB said:

Seems to me, this game will take place right after the events in Halo 2 where they jumpspace to follow the covenant.

The SI also says a few weird things as it flashes messages

One is,: "Maddie: Where are you?"

another is

"Danger: Flood Zone."

What could they mean?

mm04

I'm not a huge Halo fan, but I liked it. Maybe it's just me, but I thought it was pretty obvious that it's going to be a game based on a side-story of the Halo 3 timeline. By including Halo 3 in the title, that pretty much guarantees millions of sales, even if Master Chief isn't in it. I do hope that is the art-style they are going with as it seems like a nice change of pace. If it's using a new engine, then I for one will be excited to see more.

Talon

I'm not sure what this means, but when the Superintendent screen starts scrolling through messages, it says "Maddie, where are you?" for a moment.

Personal story in the game? I didn't pay attention to ILB, so does anyone know if Maddie was a character in that? Here's a screen.

ncc95f.jpg

Also, yes, I would resize it if I could, but I'm not on my own computer.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
UltimaPooh said:
Seems to me, this game will take place right after the events in Halo 2 where they jumpspace to follow the covenant.

The SI also says a few weird things as it flashes messages

One is,: "Maddie: Where are you?"

another is

"Danger: Flood Zone."

What could they mean?

I'm guessing firstly it's a Halo 3 expansion that takes place on earth after the Master Chief leaves for the Halo 3 halo... and you're cleaning up his mess. ¬_¬

PROFOUND.

I AM JOHN! said:
I'm with you, man. I want something new, not just more of that game that didn't really impress me all that much a year ago and I don't really have much interest in going back to.

It says in the teaser article post that this is "One of our current projects

Anyway, I hope Luke can get on here and give us some hints.

Top Bottom