• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2 direct feed screens

jiggle

nathandog mode with auto-aim please >.>

now that mysticism is no longer a secret
i wonder if ND would start putting in fantasy creatures as bosses

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
sullytao said:
100% agree. I hate when games have good enemies to fight then all of a sudden they more or less get replaced by crappy monster things that require little strategy.

y hello thar halo

Ghost said:
Looks phenomenal. but I am kinda disappointed to see what looks like Nathan taking on another army of troops all by himself, GI lead me to believe that was much less of a focus this time around.

already in the screen, you can see the stealth mechanic here. Nathan is not openly confronting all those enemies, in some screen, Nathan is sneaking from behind, enemies don't know Nathan's location yet, and there's that 1 screen where Nathan is climbing the side of a building.

I guess what you want is more environment shot to showcase some possible puzzle solving level, but for a first reveal, I'm already glad ND show this much already. the game is still 1 year away, they have plenty of time to show other level later. they still haven't properly shown the female lead, who the villain this time. just wait and see is what I want to say here.

kevm3

huhhjq.jpg

Painting confirmed.

Hopefully Sony wises up and releases shots of the better looking areas of GOW3. It'd be internet overload.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Yeah the only way you really could call bullshots on any of this is if you haven't played the original game.
Actually, I think the failure is in the accepted terminology. "Bullshot" isn't precisely defined, so its application here could be right or wrong. If the user means "The game won't look anything like this", then like you say they simply haven't played the first one. It already looks very much like this, lighting, textures, and all.

But if the user means, "these aren't direct-feed captures of the game" (which is what I'm sure Blimblim meant), then that's true. These are clearly designed for print, output at a higher resolution and with supersampling to get rid of aliasing. For clarity's sake, I think it would be good if we had a different word for that sort of thing, like "cleanshot" or something.

In any case, everyone should be clear on the actual effect: on your TV, you will perceive the game to look pretty much like this, though it will actually be slightly jaggier.

TheExodu5

Banned
Liabe Brave said:
Actually, I think the failure is in the accepted terminology. "Bullshot" isn't precisely defined, so its application here could be right or wrong. If the user means "The game won't look anything like this", then like you say they simply haven't played the first one. It already looks very much like this, lighting, textures, and all.

But if the user means, "these aren't direct-feed captures of the game" (which is what I'm sure Blimblim meant), then that's true. These are clearly designed for print, output at a higher resolution and with supersampling to get rid of aliasing. For clarity's sake, I think it would be good if we had a different word for that sort of thing, like "cleanshot" or something.

In any case, everyone should be clear on the actual effect: on your TV, you will perceive the game to look pretty much like this, though it will actually be slightly jaggier.

Here's my terminology:

Bullshot: in-game assets, post-image processing to clean up aliasing and general artifacting.

CG: 3D rendered video, not using in-game assets.

Target Render: 3D render, but not using in-game assets. Often touched up by hand with various post-processing effects afterwards. Close to what CG is, but generally used more as well, a target render for the actual game.

Artwork: purely done by hand...no 3D modelling involved.

Forsete

Gold Member
TheMissingLink said:
WOW

Sony, you better do ND some favors and actually market the bojangles out of this.

Like two religious nutjobs me at Generalfeldmarschall Kittowny will paint gigantic cardboard signs and sing praises for Uncharted in the public street. No ad campaign needed when we're done.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Looking at some of those screens and remembering the reference to 'free climbing' in the GI preview makes me very...giddy..

arne

Liabe Brave said:

These are direct feed.

but they also shouldn't be out :'(

Forsete said:
Any smarter AI and the game would become VERY hard. U1 was pretty hard at times thanks to the sneaky AI.

nah im talking theatrics. any new or improved animation, piled onto the old stuff would make this game untouchable. the AI is one the best things about drakes fortune imo

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
gofreak said:
Looking at some of those screens and remembering the reference to 'free climbing' in the GI preview makes me very...giddy..
You can see Drake free-climbing in one on the screens with that burning bus.

Ranger X

TheExodu5 said:
Here's my terminology:

Bullshot: in-game assets, post-image processing to clean up aliasing and general artifacting.

CG: 3D rendered video, not using in-game assets.

Target Render: 3D render, but not using in-game assets. Often touched up by hand with various post-processing effects afterwards. Close to what CG is, but generally used more as well, a target render for the actual game.

Artwork: purely done by hand...no 3D modelling involved.

You also have composed screens. (in-game assets but the picture is composed in photoshop). They also clearly add special effects in those shots.
Aliasing in-game shots and bumping their res (like the shots here) is acceptable imo and might not be considered "bullshots" by most people.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Lord Error said:
You can see Drake free-climbing in one on the screens with that burning bus.

Ohh yes, I didn't see him at first :)

According to the article you can climb poles etc. as well. I hope things are well crafted for clever and rewarding nook-and-cranny exploration that isn't necessarily part of the game's main 'path'
with home item unlockables for discovering certain things, oh yes I SAID IT

regarding the supernatural aspect of the game, let's be honest here, there's no way ND can appease both sides. there's simply some people who like the supernatural and some don't. if ND 'caved in' and remove the super natural aspect in among thieves, the other halves of the fanbase will be bitching about it too.

ND should just go with their supernatural element and the hater will just have to suck it. the argument about how it affect the gameplay is purely opinion anyway, there's no right or wrong, just creative decision from ND.

that said, I hope ND treat the supernatural element with care. in Uncharted, there's always that uncertainty whether there's really a curse or not, and when the curse is revealed, Nathan is pretty damn freaked out by it. in comparison, I just recently start playing Tomb Raide Underworld and that game is just ridiculous in the supernatural element. just early on, Lara saw a giant squid (or octopus, don't care) and she doesn't even felt surprise or fear. if it was Nathan, he'd say something like 'what the hell is that thing!', then, not long after that, Lara got artifact that magically attach to her hand, again, no alert there. and in the ship, she saw a woman with wings!!!, what the hell is that. I'm so not following Tomb Raider story by now and actually felt kinda put off by it. I haven't continued playing since that level.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
arne said:
These are direct feed.

Just be happy that IGN didn't put them up first, all compressed with JPEG quality 4, shrunk down to 40KB file size!

luca_29_bg said:
Arne please only one question about the water,wil be shader based o geometric based ?

Please answer me....
First game had both, depending on the pool of water. Why would they change it here.

-Rogue5-

jiggle said:
she'll be back in Uncharted 4, when she marries Drake

OH sweet... so Uncharted 2 actually takes place before Drake even met Elena... and Uncharted 3 will be when Drake has to look after his father... Gotcha... sounds awesome to me.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Direct Feed eh?

Naughty Dog, you guys are Ridiculously Awesome.

Seriously though, this is by far and away my most anticipated game of the year. Please make the SP experience 2 -4 hours longer.

aku08

wow!. those screenshots looks awesome. i hope they give us more freedom on where to climb (ala assasins creed), it looks so much fun to explore that ruined town. and drake carrying that shield ala gears of war 2 is a good addition. oh man, this game is gonna rock!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
arne said:
These are direct feed.

here you go GAF

poor BlimBlim is just angry because that KillZone 2 thingy :p
just kidding

also , unleash and send Pogo to hunt and Kill Who Leaked the screens

jiggle

-Rogue5- said:
OH sweet... so Uncharted 2 actually takes place before Drake even met Elena... and Uncharted 3 will be when Drake has to look after his father... Gotcha... sounds awesome to me.

imagine the uproars from the anti-supernatural Uncharted fans when Drake bumps into some martians.

Goldrusher

The game is already looking amazing. Textures, color, lighting, all perfect.
Much, much better than the original Uncharted around this time.

Keep up the good work !

tinfoilhatman said:
I just hope there alot more indiana jones and alot less run and gun.

Yeah, the Indy-esque dialogue, exploration and set pieces / chases were great... the combat is just an annoying thing you put up with on the way sometimes. I do hope they get the balance a little better in this game.

FirewalkR

YES THEY SHOULD BE OUT GODDAMN ARNE YES THEY SHOULD!!!!!!

IN FACT THEY SHOULD BE OUT SO MUCH THEY ACTUALLY *ARE* OUT!!!!! THE UNIVERSE IS UNLEASHING JUSTICE TODAY!!!!! IN DROVES!!!!!!!!

I CAN'T CONTAIN MYSELF WITH ALL THIS AWES....

*faints*

NeoUltima

Dizzan said:
Direct Feed eh?

Naughty Dog, you guys are Ridiculously Awesome.

Seriously though, this is by far and away my most anticipated game of the year. Please make the SP experience 2 -4 hours longer.
Yes this is the one thing I want, a longer game please. edit: o and more challenging puzzles.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
arne said:
you missed something. 6mo lttp my friend.

Oh OK...and now I'm just noticing the avatar..gosh, I am very behind. Anyways, game looks awesome! Don't be sad about earlyness.

Jim

gofreak said:
Did I miss something, or does arne work for ND now or..?

You missed something that happened quite a while ago, hah. He's even posts Uncharted related stuff on the official PS Blog (like when Trophies came out, etc).

(Edit: beaten)

HOLY CRAP

Now THAT is what I call a painting coming to life :D :D :D :D :D

Uncharted is simply AWESOME. One of the best games I've ever played.

Top Bottom