• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP sold to UGO/Hearst. EGM gone. 1up show & podcasts gone. 40 1up/EGM employees gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

skip

the best way you guys can show support is by supporting the "indie" guys like GB. and our remaining friends at New 1UP.

With BenjaminBirdie's permission, in support of those that have been laid off I've "borrowed" his avatar. I've asked him how he'd feel about GAF making use of it and his general sentiment was "Go nuts."

j959h0.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/j959h0.jpg

tanod

when is my burrito
dskillzhtown said:
Come on guys, let's remember they still are a business and if 1up was doing fine, ZD wouldn't have sold it.

1UP WAS fine. ZD is run by a bunch of incompetent morons.

Acid08

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Guys, seriously, it's so not that simple and seeing people continuously suggest it is just making me even more depressed.
I know I just really wish they would :/. Just think of that fucking Bombcast!

But really I'm sure they'll all find jobs. Shane especially he's a veteran.

yayaba

Jomolungma said:
I would. Shit, look at all the new millionaires thanks to something like the App Store. Sell a piece of crap at $.99 enough and you make bank. These guys could actually make something GOOD, and increasingly in limited supply. They could charge $.99, probably $1.99 per episode. What are the costs to produce a podcast? After the initial equipment, almost nil, right? You get a loyal following of only 5K fans (and I think they could do much better) and you're already at around $5K a week. Add a little Web site that throws some adds and drives traffic to the podcast and voila! - money. Not everyone could do it, but that is some serious talent leaving that shop - that talent could do it. I'd pay.

I'm quoting this while this thread is at 22 pages so excuse me if this has been stated before...

But while I would pay upwards of $2.99 or $3.99 per episode of 1up Yours even, a lot of the material they get to work with is because they're on the inside and developers/publishers actually send them preview/review builds, etc. Would they be able to maintain a show if all they get to talk about and work with are games that are on the retail shelf?

But maybe if they get popular enough they'll get more industry cred as well.

Guled

man Ryan Scott also, and SF4 was coming out soon :( I still can't believe this is real, seems like a really bad dream.

El-Suave

Sony about everyone who's been fired.
A person who hasn't been properly mourned for here yet I think is Nick Suttner. I don't get how they could have let him go! He has quickly become one of my favorite games journalists and was relatively new so he probably wasn't too high on the payroll.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
For some reason, "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" by Poison is playing in my head...

::breaks down and cries::

I'd pour a 40, but those are apparently illegal in my state... :-(

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Gaming is dead. DEAD!

Part of my childhood has died. I have been reading EGM ever since the early 90s. This is tremendously sad news.

mosaic said:
Wow, GAF turned on Sam Kennedy. Never thought I'd see the day. Next thing you guys will turn on Jim.
This. WTF, you guys?

Anyway, best of luck to all those involved. This is a pretty hard blow for gaming journalism, imo. I've got faith that the few guys who are still there can still do some great work (and if their hands are tied by their new overlords, I have equal faith that they can start something great elsewhere).

border

Fina1e said:
Both Shane and Milkey work for EGM, and EGM was completely shut down. Tina worked for 1up the site in general. It's not like they kept Tina over them.
Mielke and Shane were 1Up.com staffers. Shane had the same editorial rank as Matt Leone (who they kept).

Haunted

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT

alright.

No more Shane & co and no more 1upShow (and other podcasts ;_;) makes me fucking sad. Let's get skip and bburrito working on the GAFcast or something.

rinker

BenjaminBirdie said:
Guys, seriously, it's so not that simple and seeing people continuously suggest it is just making me even more depressed.

Its obviously not simple, but it seems like either following what Giantbomb did would be a great way to keep everyone intact and continue to let them do what they do.

angelfly

This is a sad day in gaming. I've been reading EGM for over 10 years and this news really hits hard. Hope the people who were laid off manage to quickly recover.

G-Pink

Ugh, this is horrible news. My hopes are with everyone who's been laid off. I know you'll bounce back, and the only thing that's stopping me from getting wasted right now is a hope you'll emerge into a community specific job, one that involves video or audio.

1UP's podcasts have had their ups and downs, and I've thoroughly enjoyed them all. I hope 1UP Yours sticks around at the very least.

Acid08 said:
I know I just really wish they would :/. Just think of that fucking Bombcast!

But really I'm sure they'll all find jobs. Shane especially he's a veteran.

I like the Bombcast as it is. Like I said, a podcast like that wouldn't even exist if it weren't for the ground that 1up laid before them. But it's its own thing.

UGO just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about online videogaming culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is at IGN where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over at 1UP, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the internet videogaming forum public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to use UGO for their news, nor will they listen to any of UGO's podcasts. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but UGO has alienated an entire market with this move.

UGO, publicly apologize and cancel all of these firings (or go ps3 exclusive) or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Jomolungma

Neo Member
yayaba said:
I'm quoting this while this thread is at 22 pages so excuse me if this has been stated before...

But while I would pay upwards of $2.99 or $3.99 per episode of 1up Yours even, a lot of the material they get to work with is because they're on the inside and developers/publishers actually send them preview/review builds, etc. Would they be able to maintain a show if all they get to talk about and work with are games that are on the retail shelf?

But maybe if they get popular enough they'll get more industry cred as well.

Great point, and something I kinda took for granted I guess. I just assumed they could work their contacts for info. I guess the costs start to mount up if you factor in travel expenses and stuff to get to developers and conferences, but I still think it's a viable option. Someone, at some time, is gonna do it and everyone is gonna smack their heads and say "Why didn't I think of that!?"

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Haunted said:
WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT

alright.

No more Shane & co and no more 1upShow (and other podcasts ;_;) makes me fucking sad. Let's get skip and bburrito working on the GAFcast or something.
$$$

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Drinky Crow said:

I don't know how much the rest of you know about online videogaming culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is at IGN where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over at 1UP, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the internet videogaming forum public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to use UGO for their news, nor will they listen to any of UGO's podcasts. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but UGO has alienated an entire market with this move.

UGO, publicly apologize and cancel all of these firings (or go ps3 exclusive) or you can kiss your business goodbye.
I don't know man. This is, I think, the one time where that's inappropriate.

rinker said:
Its obviously not simple, but it seems like either following what Giantbomb did would be a great way to keep everyone intact and continue to let them do what they do.

Oh, I do hope they end up doing it. Finding someone with enough capital to support them and make their own identity. It would be phenomenal. But a Voltron AwesomeCast of Giant Bomb and 1up isn't feasible or likely, sadly.

Acid08

Banned
I've been reading EGM for 10 years since I was 8 fucking years old. It feels so weird that I'll never read another issue.

And listening to these guys on podcasts every week for about a year and a half now and suddenly being completely cut off is horrible.

Best friends I've never met indeed :(

Rlan

Drinky Crow said:

As jokey as this post is, it certainly didn't happen with GameSpot after the Gerstmann affair.

I wish I wrote something before I left about all the amazing people over there at 1UP, and who have come and gone. Most of my fondest memories was over there at 1UP. Working with Milky on insane covers, and getting to brainstorm intro ideas with Ryan on 1UP Show intros. I don't think that level of creativity or energy can be duplicated anywhere else. Back in 2004, our 1UP editorial meetings consisted of, like, 7 people. (I used to fall asleep because they were really boring. Haha, sorry!) And it was so amazing that the group just grew and grew and put out spectacular stuff. Yes, I'm feeling very blue about the lay-offs. Corporations too complex and too big for separating what's fair or unfair. Apparently, the bottom line that was spoken was
"your jobs do not transfer over."
Corporations don't see personalities, they merely see positions. But there's no doubt in my mind that the people who were let go today will go on and strut their stuff in greener pastures. And the people who stayed will for sure use their talents to make 1UP succeed.

Still, it's hard to not feel sad about all of this because these people are my friends. Warm wishes and best of luck. And RIP 1UP Show.

Barakov

Johnkers said:
Any word on Greg Ford? I imagine with him being one of the more focused EGM staff things would not be looking so good..

He was part of EGM so I imagine that he was on the fired list as well. We'll have to wait until more of this comes out, I guess.

EDIT: Yup. Looks like he's gone as well.

Puck

Banned
http://boards.1up.com/zd/board/message?board.id=games&thread.id=981770

Not sure how accurate, but;

Going:
Andrew "Skip" Pfister
Matt Chandronait
Ryan O'Donnell
Jay Fresh
Cesar Quintero

Philip Kollar
Nick Suttner
Anthony Gallegos
And Shane Fucking Bettenhausen!
James "Milkman" Mielke

Greg Ford
Giancarlo Varanini
Michael Donahoe
Andrew Fitch
Jason Wilson
Justin Haywald
Michael Grimm

Staying:

Garnett Lee
Tina Sanchez
David Ellis
Matt Leone
Jeremy Parish
Sam Kennedy

Totally sucks. Everyone at 1up was awesome.

jacobs34

border said:
Mielke and Shane were 1Up.com staffers. Shane had the same editorial rank as Matt Leone (who they kept).

Follow the $. I don't want to drop names because that wouldn't be appropriate but I'm sure some people either got the axe or didn't because of their salaries. It's terrible to think about it that way but these are the times we are living in.

colinp

Banned
Drinky Crow said:

Oh Drinky, you kill me. :lol :lol

Barrett2

Drinky Crow said:

Son of a bitch! :lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom