• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP sold to UGO/Hearst. EGM gone. 1up show & podcasts gone. 40 1up/EGM employees gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

DangerStepp

KaosAngel said:
Wow, can't believe people donated that much. I wish I got that much when I was laid off.

I never liked 1up or EGM, they always think they know more about Japan than most, and I remember a few times they were wrong about some stuff.

Then again, I've only been living in Japan for years now, and just recently started working here. The only site I know that gets it right about Japan has been Giant Bomb (hence why they were the only site I've ever donated anything to...a couple Dissidia Potions).

I really don't understand why people are donating to them when there are much more needed causes out there that benefit people. Before anyone gets on me, I'm Muslim and I have to pay Zakat on a yearly base for a noble cause.

But whatever, people can do what they want...just really sad 1up would get over 10k USD while loads of others were laid off due to douchebags in Office or heading corporations. Again, I don't care anymore, if it makes GAF happy, then I am content.

I'm glad you showed up to bring such startling facts and evidence to light. With guys like you, John Stossel's days are numbered.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Ninja Kn1ght said:
Verbal Diarrhea
Gotta be a joke right?
I'm absolutely floored that people on a GAMING forum are offended by the fact gamers spend money on meaningless things like donating to a gaming podcast. Really? its all gotta be a joke..it has to be. The Hypocrisy is to much for it not to be. I must be getting old.

Mr.City

from talkingorange

To be clear, much like our close friends and allies over at Eat-Sleep-Game we don't need money. We'll live. We have marketable skills and if you're looking to make life better for the impoverished, ill, and downtrodden there are a billion charities out there which will gladly take your hard-earned donations. We have a suggestion or two.

We're separate from ESG and they won't be paying for our equipment, but don't feel obligated to donate to us if you've already donated to them. Times are very lean for everyone and we'll be damned if we try to squeeze blood from an audience who's already given so much to us and all of our friends. If you're curious about our cursory plans for the future, read on. Otherwise, we just want to close with the only words that come to mind--inadequate and wholly not up to the task at hand: THANK YOU.

Owensboro

Wait.....what......what the hell happened? This thread was a great feel good farewell, and now it's become bitching? That is so unlike GAF.

But seriously, everyone who is complaining about people donating money to these guys needs to take a step back from their computer, and take a glance around where they are right now. Just look for something you have that you didn't really need, and then please bitch at yourself for not donating that money to a more fitting charity.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Get off your high horses and realize that some of us just wanted to see the podcasts and 1upshow, which became a big source of entertainment, continue on. I don't think there was one person in existence (and especially working at talkingorange / eat.sleep.game) who could of thought that this community could respond with that amount of donations, so don't chastise them for not putting up a donation limit (hindsight is 20/20). I for one am impressed. If anything it goes to show me that not everyone who enjoys this hobby is a bile-filled douche bag that posts on GAF.

KHarvey16

It's pretty depressing to see a few people swoop in here without knowing what the fuck they're talking about moaning over the amount of donations these guys received. Half of them seem to be under the impression these donations are for their groceries and heat or some shit. The other half like to give business analysis based on retarded assumptions about the podcast crew somehow being in charge of making sure they were a profitable endeavor.

Idiots.

border

Drinky Crow said:
in defense of wasabi, having an opinion is not trolling, and neither is displaying negativity during a pity party.
Showing up in a thread where you believe money is being misappropriated and calling all the fans (and project creators) "douchebags" qualifies as merely "having an opinion"? I think we all know he crossed the Angry Bridge into Trolltown pretty much from the get-go. Do you really think such behavior would fly in a game thread (assuming the game is not Too Human or Wii Music)? You can have an opinion without being needlessly abrasive - gotta call a spade a spade though.

speedpop said:
They are nothing special; the only reason why people seem to think they are is because they have no one else to fill that spot in their lives.

POOR INTERNET RHETORIC #5203:

"If you loved <thing that I dislike>, then it's probably only because you're a big empty loser that's too sad and lonely to realize that <thing I dislike but have no real experience with> is no better than similar efforts by everyone else!"

If everything is equally mediocre, then it doesn't really explain why this one particular thing has a huge following and nothing else does.

Flavius

KHarvey16 said:
It's pretty depressing...

Don't be depressed. As others have already said, everyone's entitled to their opinions.

Even the fucktards.

I tossed some money their way. The button might have said "Donate" but I certainly didn't think of it as a donation. I enjoy what they do and as far as I can recall, never sent them a fucking dime. If the pittance I gave to the RebelFM guys and the TalkingOrange guys means they'll continue doing podcasts and video (regardless of whether they needed it), that's all kinds of fuckawesome in my book.

That said, I also do a metric fuckton of charity work. I don't do it for any reason other than a purely selfish one: it makes ME feel better about myself. I volunteer, I donate, do fundraisers, help build houses with my huge, manly biceps, etc, etc, ec. Guys like Wasabi and Gaime can go take a fucking leap as far as I'm concerned when it comes to thinking they can tell me what I need to do with my money. Seriously, go eat a dick.

But...if you're so willing to "donate" to these guys and not donate to any of a number of awesome charities and/or donate your time to help volunteer and make this mudball a better place to live? Yeah, I think that's a bit fucked up as well. Regardless, that has precisely jack and shit to do with anything the ex-Ziffers have done, and everything to do with YOU.

I've said my peace, and I'm getting the fuck out of this thread.

Peace!

Darklord

Banned
Madsucktion said:
Wait.....what......what the hell happened? This thread was a great feel good farewell, and now it's become bitching? That is so unlike GAF.

But seriously, everyone who is complaining about people donating money to these guys needs to take a step back from their computer, and take a glance around where they are right now. Just look for something you have that you didn't really need, and then please bitch at yourself for not donating that money to a more fitting charity.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Get off your high horses and realize that some of us just wanted to see the podcasts and 1upshow, which became a big source of entertainment, continue on. I don't think there was one person in existence (and especially working at talkingorange / eat.sleep.game) who could of thought that this community could respond with that amount of donations, so don't chastise them for not putting up a donation limit (hindsight is 20/20). I for one am impressed. If anything it goes to show me that not everyone who enjoys this hobby is a bile-filled douche bag that posts on GAF.

The funny thing is I bet most of the people who are shitty about them donating have plenty of expensive shit like HDTV, 360, PS3, whatever and have never donated to anything in there life or if they have it's been like $4 or something.

Yeah, there a douchbag for helping someone out. What a dick! I lent $20 to my friend the other guy, we're both dickheads because I gave it to him and he took it when I should have given it to a poor blind man!

DangerStepp

How rich is the irony that Internet denizens ridicule one another for how they choose to spend their money?

Apparently, one should feel guilty for helping out some folks fallen on hard luck versus blowing cash on a special edition fourth-ported random manga game for the DS.

Note: Searching out the post history of the finger flingers would probably turn up some incriminating ish.

Ledsen

bloodydrake said:
Gotta be a joke right?
I'm absolutely floored that people on a GAMING forum are offended by the fact gamers spend money on meaningless things like donating to a gaming podcast. Really? its all gotta be a joke..it has to be. The Hypocrisy is to much for it not to be. I must be getting old.

Why did so many of you miss the awesome "I'm an expert" meme? :)

dock

If you put yourself out there you risk hatred as much as a positive following. Developers like Denis Dyack (Too Human) and Jon Blow (Braid) are a good example of this in the development side, where people are drawn to or repelled by their presense and personality. In fact, listening to the gamespot podcast put me off gamespot coverage from then on because I didn't like their 'overly macho' style.

I can see why people might find the 1up 'outpour' to be a bit annoying, but they've earned it, basically.

If anything, it shows that people need to put themselves out there more. It would be nice if games developers could be more transparent too, rather than the churning machine of faceless products and turnover.

1up deserves props for investing so heavily in its staff and allowing their personalities to shine through.

EviLore said:
*wakes up*

*reads last 10 pages*

Wow @ donations, that's pretty wild.

Re: Wasabi's comments, he doesn't care for the 1up personalities at all, so to him this is like donating to the next Uwe Boll production after Postal bombs, when tons of other productions had financial trouble. Of course, for many there is no worthy substitute for what 1up did with their video show and podcasts, and I'd personally like Uwe Boll to make as many movies as he can!

The general negativity all of a sudden is mostly the shock at the total amount that was received, I'm sure, when a startup podcast really doesn't need anywhere near tens of thousands of dollars to keep going. Whether RebelFM peeps get leet recording equipment or spend it on hookers and blow -- or both, I don't think most donors went in with any sort of strict expectations besides the dudes continuing the podcast and maybe looking towards other opportunities, so I won't begrudge them and their coke money until the podcast stops.

Just uhh, if you're going to donate money just to spite someone like Wasabi for his negativity, how about you point your browsers to http://www.unicef.org/ instead, because that's when all this starts to seem very fucking silly. The RebelFM dudes probably have enough for now, eh.

Hopefully the donation money will be going toward setting up a profitable business for these guys. 10k may be way too much for podcasting requirements but I doubt they can set up a decent business with it. If they do use it as a jumping off point for setting up eat-sleep-game or talkingorange as something in it's own right and don't need to move on to other sites and publications then power to them.

Otherwise you're spot on, UNICEF are a fantastic organisation and of course they deserve the money more than a bunch of videogame journos, so it'd be cool if a few GAFfers threw them a couple of bucks just to spite the naysayers (I didn't donate to the ex-1uppers so I'm not going to, plus I gave at the office).

Shurs

Three things.

1-Isn't 12 thousand dollars enough for podcasting equipment and hosting fees? I understand why the Game Videos guys would need more money for their equipment but 12k should be more than enough for podcasting equipment, right? Should the donation button be put away now?

2-Stop saying that they weren't asking for donations. You can quote their disclaimers all you want but you're ignoring the fact that they did put up donations buttons on their sites, and set up paypal accounts specifically to receive donations. It's like telling your wife you don't expect sex while pulling out your cock and placing it in her hand.

3-If you want to donate to these guys you should do so, without guilt. Just stop telling us how much you donated. Charitable acts shouldn't need recognition.

Shurs said:
3-If you want to donate to these guys you should do so, without guilt. Just stop telling us how much you donated. Charitable acts shouldn't need recognition.
Ennnh. Its not really charity as much as it is giving money in hopes of continued podcasts in the future.

Shurs

infinityBCRT said:
Ennnh. Its not really charity as much as it is giving money in hopes of continued podcasts in the future.

Sorry. I guess I've been trained to equate the word donate with a charitable cause. So as a fix:

3- If you want to donate to these guys you should do so, without guilt. Just stop telling us how much you donated. It makes you sound like a back patting jerkoff.

Mr.City

Shurs said:
Three things.

1-Isn't 12 thousand dollars enough for podcasting equipment and hosting fees? I understand why the Game Videos guys would need more money for their equipment but 12k should be more than enough for podcasting equipment, right? Should the donation button be put away now?

2-Stop saying that they weren't asking for donations. You can quote their disclaimers all you want but you're ignoring the fact that they did put up donations buttons on their sites, and set up paypal accounts specifically to receive donations. It's like telling your wife you don't expect sex while pulling out your cock and placing it in her hand.

Good God.

ElyrionX

WasabiKing said:
* Have not even considered donating to ACTUAL causes, like aid for Palestinians getting WHITE POWDERED by incoming rockets, feeding kids in Africa, hell even Child's Play since the money that goes to that cause is worthy

Child's Play is run by Penny Arcade.

Penny Arcade started off as a hobby for two gamers who initially needed donations to keep the website/webcomic going. Without the generous donations of fans in its early days, Penny Arcade probably wouldn't be what it is today.

I'm not going to say that you're jealous or bitter but I believe that your analysis of the situation is highly flawed. The failings of Ziff Davis/1up/EGM has completely nothing to do with the situation we have right now. Just because Ziff Davis wasn't smart enough to build a sustainable business model around its podcasts does not mean that one does not exist. The very fact that people are willing to donate a sizable amount of money to fund the podcasts shows that there is demand for entertainment of this form. These guys obviously love doing what they did at 1up and are very passionate about gaming. If they can somehow turn that passion into a sustainable business, isn't that really entrepreneurship and capitalism at its finest?

Haunted

This certainly turned out to be an excellent thread.

Well, all this does is raise expectations for the first episode of talkingorange's new gaming review show.
They're making a video review show akin to the 1upShow, right? Here's hoping the loss of half the cast won't hurt them too much.

This is why we can't have nice things.

As I said before I have no intention of giving up any money for this, so hopefully that leaves me in the clear to criticize the assholes (mods included) who seem determined to piss on the parade of those who want to fund a project that they'll personally get enjoyment out of.

Shurs

I should add that I do admire the transparency when talking about the funds by both Rebel FM and Talking Orange. They could have not said how much they've been given.

mm04

The term donate probably isn't entirely appropriate for what what the GAFFERs who did send money were intending. It's more like investment. Here's $20, continue making me podcasts to listen to that don't sound like I need to hit the Dolby noise reduction button and doesn't require me to have to try and make out a sentence from a guy who doesn't have a microphone.

$12k is a nice little amount, but it's not that much in real world money in the scenario that some people seem to think it's being used to sustain 4 guys for months. The arguments that $12k is enough and I had no idea they got so much money etc, what makes you think that all 500 donations were from GAF? Doing the math, the total amount comes to $24 per donation. There's no possible way they had any friends in the industry who may have decided to drop a little bit more than $24 for this venture...

Nobody said shit when people sent the Brodeo candy or when booze got sent to the 1UP Yours crew. Those were all things that most thought enhanced the podcasts. The posters on this forum are the same folks who all wanted to pitch in money for monthly NPD results for godsakes. Let's not forget buying games (some bad) just to support a developer. Nothing is inherently wrong with any of these things. I just find it petty to pick on RebelFM and Talking Orange.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
The Lamonster said:
Also, will I get my money back? I was one of the few paying subscribers...

I don't know if they have any way to distinguish between subscribers.

To me, giving money to these guys is based on my purely selfish motives. It is not charity. I want the pod casts to keep on coming. That is why I am willing to invest some money, even if it is a bit of a risk. But it's such a small risk. And I get so much enjoyment out of the shows.

So seriously, those green with envy who are complaining and calling us out for being for being suckers can go suck it.

Ethereal

I am somewhat shocked by this level of seeming outrage over the donations. If you want to donate, then go ahead and do it, if not then don't simple as that.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
There's about 10x the OUTRAGE AT THE OUTRAGE than there is an outrage to begin with. That's what happens when you stop responding to people directly and start responding to a group consciousness that doesn't exist.

ice cream

Banned
Do you guys remember that Garnett or Shane said at the end of the last 1up yours that they would have something very exciting comming at the beginning of january? Did we ever find out what it was gonna be?

Dot50Cal

Banned
EviLore said:
There's about 10x the OUTRAGE AT THE OUTRAGE than there is an outrage to begin with. That's what happens when you stop responding to people directly and start responding to a group consciousness that doesn't exist.
I am outraged that you are not outraged at this outrage. So outrageous.

brokenFUN

speedpop said:
- The, almost bordering on stalker-status, tag of "Mangod" onto Shane Bettenhausen. I don't know the guy, never heard him talk or read anything he wrote. But the animated gifs, jpgs, and "MANGOD STATUS CONFIRMED!" posts really went over the top. Add up a tally of posts from this single thread about the ongoing status and whereabouts of Mr. Bettenhausen and I'm sure they'd number in the very high hundreds. C'mon guys, he is just a regular person who has a hobby of gaming and seems to have relatively strong opinions - now you're resembling the women who buy those celebrity magazines week in, week out.

The mangod thing is more of a meme at this point.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i wonder how much of this is a testament to the power of celebrity. it's hard to differentiate whether people are donating based their media saturated relationship with the personalities concerned or the product they wish to continue supplying when they are largely the same thing.

i'm hedging my bets a little here. but it's certainly been interesting to see the effect of celebrity on this whole ordeal. on the face of it i could be pissed at the outpour for a bunch of guys who are even now in a situation a damn sight better than mine, but i understand my personality (and indeed wellbeing) has no monetary value to thousands of neogaf posters.

there is no line of objective morality to all this, but i don't think anyone can argue that all those concerned haven't been extremely fortunate in that they had the opportunity to establish and root their personalities in an extremely pro-active fanbase before the hour came. a celebrity which is a privilege of circumstance that many of us haven't been so fortunate to have.

border

EviLore said:
I guess we can end it in the same smart, classy way it started -- anyone annoyed by the donations is a douchebag.

Banned
I was wondering when there'd be some jealousy based backlash from the donation amount. Maybe we just want to give dudes a salary who give dudes a show? Paying for goods & services isn't new... Keep the button up, if people want to make ongoing donations and you all become millionaires driving diamond Hummers, then shiiiit, who's business is that if the money we wanted to donate adds up, as long as the podcasts come and are decent.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
ghst said:
i wonder how much of this is a testament to the power of celebrity. it's hard to differentiate whether people are donating based their media saturated relationship with the personalities concerned or the product they wish to continue supplying when they are largely the same thing.

i'm hedging my bets a little here. but it's certainly been interesting to see the effect of celebrity on this whole ordeal. on the face of it i could be pissed at the outpour for a bunch of guys who are even now in a situation a damn sight better than mine, but i understand my personality (and indeed wellbeing) has no monetary value to thousands of neogaf posters.

there is no line of objective morality to all this, but i don't think anyone can argue that all those concerned haven't been extremely fortunate in that they had the opportunity to establish and root their personalities in an extremely pro-active fanbase before the hour came. a celebrity which is a privilege of circumstance that many of us haven't been so fortunate to have.

but you're writing this as if people are donating to their personal coffers, rather than to fund a podcast/video show that is conceivably professional in quality. this isn't the ex-1up unemployment fund; it's money that is going to be used to buy equipment and make such a venture possible.

as far as the celebrity aspect, again i use filmspotting as an example. let's say theoretically that filmspotting was associated with the reelz channel or something, and was funded as their official podcast; one day, the reelz channel shuts down, but adam & sam want to continue reviewing movies and their fans want this also. the show they want to create through donations is essentially the same show they ran before, just now not associated with reelz, and so the celebrity is intricately tied to the quality of the show.

you know what i mean? it's a big difference between what they're doing with rebel fm/geekbox/talking orange and what it would be like if paris hilton lost her job (?) and took up donations to start a podcast.

border said:
I guess we can end it in the same smart, classy way it started -- anyone annoyed by the donations is a douchebag.

and we can start calling into question every direction which people spend their money, splitting investments and charities into tiers of importance. if someone buys a cd instead of giving money to the salvation army, they are satan.

ghst said:

Well put. I always found it ironic that people reporting on games have frequently become the main focus instead of the games themselves.

trejo

Wow.

I'll just say that I initially thought it was just Amirox, but it turns out there are quite a bunch of douchebags mods here.

I still love this place, though.

Slavik81

ghst said:
My personal belief is that Ziff-Davis was so poorly managed, they couldn't leverage the inherent value of their employees effectively. Those donations were a tiny fraction of the residual value that the 1UP employees had.

1UP helped to make them quite valuable. It's a shame they couldn't use them in a way that reflected their worth and thereby pay to retain them.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Flavius said:
What the fuck?

Don't post while watching The Last Samurai, kids.
..after all this time?

EDIT:
HOLY SHIT
like 50 people have posted since I last refreshed the page. :eek:

Kittonwy

Banned
border said:

I'm actually just surprised at the amount of the donations and the strong attachment to 1UP personalities, but then people can do whatever they want with their money.

JKBii

EviLore said:
How is your outrage at the outrage at the outrage helpful? People post about what they feel and if the majority of posters in this topic are mad because a vocal minority hijacked the topic to complain about people spending their money the way they want then that's what they should do.

And there is no point in responding to the people complaining about the donations as it's just a microcosm of the discussion of whether egalitarianism is best for society, which people will never agree on.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
PjotrStroganov said:
Well put. I always found it ironic that people reporting on games have frequently become the main focus instead of the games themselves.

Eh, it's GAF. Games usually end up seondary to either the people talking about them, developers saying something stupid about them, or anything system wars related.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
JKBii said:
How is your outrage at the outrage at the outrage helpful? People post about what they feel and if the majority of posters in this topic are mad because a vocal minority hijacked the topic to complain about people spending their money the way they want then that's what they should do.

And there is no point in responding to the people complaining about the donations as it's just a microcosm of the discussion of whether egalitarianism is best for society, which people will never agree on.

I'm outraged at your outrage of my outrage of gaf's outrage at gaf's outrage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom