• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP sold to UGO/Hearst. EGM gone. 1up show & podcasts gone. 40 1up/EGM employees gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

GaimeGuy said:
I guess so, it just seems weird to do this right now immediately after losing their jobs, to me :/
gaime, did you follow the situation? Here's how it went:

1. Laid off
2. ex-1up FMers put together a quick podcast within a few days at one of the guys' apartments to fill in fans + fill in the day they should have given out a podcast
3. people said they would pay to see more and to put up a friggin donate link so they could get them equipment that didn't buzz (it wasn't 1up yours at pax bad, but it was annoying I admit)
4. donate button goes up
5. talking orange blog opens up to say they're working on getting a show going
6. donate money is announced as being split between the two groups
7. 12k number announced
8. people bitch and moan and bitch and moan like it's gta4

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
EDIT - Dam you /\, you beat me by secounds :p, although I think you said it better tbh.

GaimeGuy said:
I would best describe my feelings as those of absurdity about the whole situation.

People from a video game podcast who got paid salaries by a business to do that podcast, then after being promptly fired, asked for donations to start up a podcast of their own instead of looking for work.

If Matt Cassamassasalmon were fired from IGN, and then asked a bunch of people from, say, GAF or the IGN boards for donations to st art up his own nintendo fansite or message board

Or, if, say, someone writing for People Magazine got fired, joined the paparazzi, and asked for donations for camera and equipment

I would react the same exact way. I find it to be absurd and incredibly stupid to give these people money.

You really are deluded aren't you, now listen up, ex-1upers lost their jobs, everyone felt for them, many also was very gutted becuase they we're losing their favourite game show/s, so the ex-1upers got together and decided that they wanted to try and start their own projects, the many followers of their previous show @ 1up we're delighted to hear this as this potentially meant that we may not be losing are favourite gaming shows after all, many people including myself called for the ex-1upers to let us donate money to them, A) to pay them back a little for all the free amazing contact they've given us over the years, and B) to help get them off the ground so they can't keep providing us with this content, they are not a charity.

I work a boring 10 hour/day job. If I want to donate money to be entertained a few hours and pass some of that time I don't need to ask people on a forum if it's okay or not. I listened to almost all the 1up podcasts every day and chipping in $10 or more at this point after all the content that helped me enjoy the time at work is the least I could do. If it makes any self-righteous asshole feel better, I donated much more to Child's Play this winter.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
And I'm saying that such a venture seems REALLY FUCKING STUPID to undertake when you've JUST STARTED LOOKING FOR A JOB.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Firestorm said:
gaime, did you follow the situation? Here's how it went:

1. Laid off
2. ex-1up FMers put together a quick podcast within a few days at one of the guys' apartments to fill in fans + fill in the day they should have given out a podcast
3. people said they would pay to see more and to put up a friggin donate link so they could get them equipment that didn't buzz (it wasn't 1up yours at pax bad, but it was annoying I admit)
4. donate button goes up
5. talking orange blog opens up to say they're working on getting a show going
6. donate money is announced as being split between the two groups
7. 12k number announced
8. people bitch and moan and bitch and moan like it's gta4
9. GTA5 announced uh wait
9. ex-1UP dudes all get fulltime jobs
10. no time for the promised content anymore
11. ???
12. profit

So do they feel obliged now that the money's on the table no matter how much time they actually have on their hands or how does this all work?

voltron

GaimeGuy is the Jack Thompson of this thread. Hes like a die hard debunker of the UFO phenomenon despite 60 years of solid military sightings and radar/visual cases.

Hey dumbass, they didnt ask for donations. Every motherfucker was hounding them about it so they put the option up there for people if they wanted to.

The way your framing it is as if they went "Hai guys, we wanna keep doing a podcast but we need donations. We arent going to do it unless we get donations, so its up to you".

And clearly, thats not what they did.

border

Deku said:
Stuff like this are not tolerated elsewhere.
Really? How many millions of dollars are being made on the IGN/Gamespot podcasts?

Aside from 1 person, nobody on these shows had podcasting in their job description. They were all creating editorial content for a website and/or magazine. To suggest that they "deserved" to be fired because they couldn't sufficiently monetize a podcast (something almost NO podcast is able to do) is pretty absurd.

GaimeGuy said:
I guess so, it just seems weird to do this right now immediately after losing their jobs, to me :/
I don't think it's weird for them to want to continue what they've been doing. I'm willing to give them a shot and go along for the ride (no I have not given them money.. yet(?)).

I don't think its stupid to give them money. I just don't know if I would personally do it right now as I have stuff to pay for and pay off. I can see why people would donate and why people wouldn't. Giving opinions is all well and good if the banter back and forth is held to a higher standard (yes this is fucking forum i know).

voltron

Deku said:
I think the point was that people are paying for what clearly are people who can't seem to run a financially sustainable podcast when they had funding.

I'm sure the podcasts have immense value to some people, but when you have a bunch of pod casters who couldn't make it work when they had more traffic than they will undoubtedly have now asking for a handout to do more of the same, and have exhibited profligate behavior and an inability to manage budgets, it's a little counter intuitive to reward their failure. And clearly, the podcast were cut because they cost company time and money to run with no ad dollars coming in. Had they been done as side projects on the 1up staffer's own time from the very outset and featured as such and became popular, I'd be more sympathetic.

Are you fucking retarded? Honestly, are you? Because that would explain it.

Its like blaming Tim Schafer for the commercial failure of Psychonauts instead of the markeing department, and the economy, and perception problems.

But even more specifically that analogy isnt accurate either because the 1up podcasts were never meant ot make money. And if they were it wasnt up to the 'on air talent' to make that happen. How old are you?

God I really need to get out of this thread.

wmat said:
11. ???
12. profit

So do they feel obliged now that the money's on the table no matter how much time they actually have on their hands or how does this all work?

You do realize that a lot (probably most) of the gaming podcasts out there are done by people with full-time jobs, right?

xintin

I missed like the last 2hrs of this thread, so can someone answer this for me:
Why is Teknopathic not using the Quote function?

It's confusing and somewhat upsetting.

Firestorm

wmat said:
11. ???
12. profit

Yes they're now obliged to give us quality content. They've been guilted into it =)

xintin said:

You must be new here.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
xintin said:

teknopathic never uses the quote function. This is the truth.

jacobs34

border said:
Really? How many millions of dollars are being made on the IGN/Gamespot podcasts?

Aside from 1 person, nobody on these shows had podcasting in their job description. They were all creating editorial content for a website and/or magazine. To suggest that they "deserved" to be fired because they couldn't sufficiently monetize a podcast (something almost NO podcast is able to do) is pretty absurd.

Actually it's pretty much offensive to those who put a ton of work into the product, these guys were making incredible content and Ziff couldn't find a way to make money off of it, which goes to show why that company went bankrupt. I really hope that these guys start a pay per HD Episode service for three reasons.

1. It will make people on NeoGAF complain, but in the same post say that they don't care.
2. I've been offering to pay for the 1 Up Show in HD for years.
3. This method of running a show could be sustainable, thus ensures us a constant stream of great content that we can't get anywhere else.

I don't know if the pay per episode method would work, but it's worth a try.

But really, I just like to make people bitch.

GhaleonQ

wmat said:
11. ???
12. profit

carloponzi.jpg
(Kidding.)

I assume that this is essentially a general 1-Up transition fund, since they were the first group to put a product up and capitalize on the listeners' goodwill toward Ziff-Davis employees. If they find different jobs or if other ex-employees put up similar products, I'm sure that they'll distribute it.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
thirtytwoutside said:
You do realize that a lot (probably most) of the gaming podcasts out there are done by people with full-time jobs, right?
Of course I do, but as soon as you're at a gaming site putting content out and doing subscriber-paid stuff privately at the same time, I'd say there's a conflict of interest.

I'm not saying it's impossible to keep those two separated, but if you're at a gaming site and use the benefits of working there privately for your podcast or vidcast, you're going to get fired, I'd say. It's at least incredibly hard to keep everyone happy under these specific circumstances..

lowrider007 said:
http://talkingorange.com/
"Whatever the final products entail, we believe it a moral obligation when accepting donations to be completely transparent. We will detail exactly how much we've received and exactly how much is being spent and what on."

These guys couldn't be more honest even if they tried.

They've been keeping us involved and informed more than they've needed to right from the beginning.
... and that's how they won my trust.
I'm happy to have donated and happy that they're so upfront and honest about it.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
wmat said:

Not in my eyes, when I donated it was for services rendered more than anything, and for the potential for more content, if that can't be delivered on then at least we're know they tried, It is better to have tried and failed than to never have tried at all.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Perhaps it's not jealously as some are calling it, but then what is it? Calling out people on a bunch of terms that may or may not apply to them and in the end it is still their own money to spend and if to WasabiKing they are a douchebag, well. Okay?

GaimeGuy said:
And I'm saying that such a venture seems REALLY FUCKING STUPID to undertake when you've JUST STARTED LOOKING FOR A JOB.

and you've said it, again and again now. We get it. You don't like it.

Now is the time for the 1up show video guys at least (the content that I wholeheartedly want back in SOME FORM) to do this venture.

they still have an audience and supporters, as is obvious.

some of the greatest things came from an investment of a few grand. Hopefully they are up for the challenge. If it fails at least they took a shot, and that's all I'm excited about personally and why I support it.

As a business major, if I were in their shoes, and wanted to try to get something like this going, now is the absolute best time and quickly or else their former audience will erode very quickly and it is very difficult to rebuild.

This thread got some PR over in the OT section, so I thought I would check it out. Wow. Is it really possible this thread is all about people being mad about someone giving these people money? Like they say, "a fool and his money are soon parted." If people want to give them money for whatever reason, so be it. It's no skin off anyone's back. Why is that such a big deal?

DeBurgo

Spider Silva said:
This thread got some PR over in the OT section, so I thought I would check it out. Wow. Is it really possible this thread is all about people being mad about someone giving these people money? Like they say, "a fool and his money are soon parted." If people want to give them money for whatever reason, so be it. It's no skin off anyone's back. Why is that such a big deal?
some people are assuming that because 1up/EGM staffers were operating in a financial bubble at ZD (which they took advantage of to the fullest extent), that everyone employed at 1up/EGM is somehow automatically incompetent at running a business of their own, and therefore donating anything to them is irrational and immoral.

Lakupo

Whoa, thread meltdown. Things were hunky-dory this morning!

Man, if giving money to people who provide entertainment I like makes me a douchebag, sign me up! I would've loved to have been a Pushing Daisies douchebag. :(

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
thirtytwoutside said:
Where did that come from?
Well, I heard in RFM1 that it'd only be viable with some paid subscription thingie or similar. Did I misinterpret something there?

diss

Banned
Lakupo said:
Whoa, thread meltdown. Things were hunky-dory this morning!

Man, if giving money to people who provide entertainment I like makes me a douchebag, sign me up! I would've loved to have been a Pushing Daisies douchebag. :(
pushing daisies :(

Somnia

wmat said:
Well, I heard in RFM1 that it'd only be viable with some paid subscription thingie or similar. Did I misinterpret something there?

That was regarding the 1up show venture not the podcast. I'm pretty sure they have said they would never charge for a podcast. I do not have links, but I do remember Nick and Chuff both saying this and Ryan said they would need to do some form of subscription or paid thing for their thing.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I don't see anything wrong with people donating to something that they enjoy listening to. It doesn't seem like they were forced either. They just donated some money out of their own free will. Me? No thank you. I will not donate, but I won't degrade the people that did either. :)

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Boredom + MSPaint + 4:24AM =

2lswuaw.jpg

I'll have you know that making a Y from a G is very difficult.

With that being said, people need to get off their high horse and stop trying to be some sort of higher power in which they tell people what to spend their money on. Just...jog on.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Spider Silva said:
Wasabi's position raises questions, I guess. That's some heavy words to be throwing around to people doing what they want to with their own money. We quickly recognize and mock stupidity on GAF, but it's no wonder people think this feels like something else.
If someone throws $10 at this podcast, that is their own prerogative. Wasabi seems offended on the level of business success. I can see that, but then again are the people who ran 1UP the same who are doing these podcasts? I don't know.

But let me raise this. I have read posts by WasabiKing about him recommending throwing out $20~$50 tips (I forget the exact amount) to curry the favor of a bartender at the start of the night. That's him giving out a small amount of money to get something he wants. That seems fair.

Now one could argue that this is different as the bartender has a job and no one would just throw $20 to have someone out of work to pour them a drink. But would they go to the bar to support them if they opened up a new one after they got kicked out of their old? Maybe.

So I don't see much issue with throwing some money towards something that you want, even if it might end up that you don't get what you want exactly. Our bartender friend would hopefully give us good service after a nice hefty starting tip, just as one would hope these guys deliver a product that the donators want. So in the end, both groups are giving money towards getting something they want. I don't see much wrong with that.

Unless, of course, he doesn't do this during these times of economic trouble.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I liked EGM and will miss my free mags.

But don't let that on-topic statement bust any of yalls chops

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Not sure what happened here, but from a normal guy perspective:

1. I've had job cuts, layoffs, 'rightsizing,' and restructuring of my company looming over my head for a year now. Stressful as fuck.

2. I have just enough money that if both my wife and I lose our jobs (not completely unlikely), that we could pay all our bills for almost 6 months and then we'd have to bail on our mortgage and our car payments. We'd be broke as fuck.

3. I have absolutely no fame whatsover outside of that thing I did one time at my buddy's party. No connections and I don't know anybody that would give me money.

4. If I did have even a remote amount of fame, I wouldn't use it to ask for donations. I grew up being taught that taking handouts was shameful, but

5. I don't blame these guys one fucking bit. More power to them, and if the twits around here that want to donate, be my guest. Doesn't hurt my feelings. Hopefully something good comes out of it.

6. The righteous anger in this thread is preposterous. It's really zero business of anybody's to question what another does with his or her money, much less how one decides to make it.

7. The righteous indignation of the donators is also ridiculous. Like you dweebs shouldn't be called out.

C'mon people. Shit ain't black and white. Guys lost their jobs, took advantage of their status, big deal. It's not wrong for them to ask, it's not wrong for NeoGaf to give, it's not wrong for people to think that it's dumb as hell.

It is wrong to spend this much time arguing with a bunch of dorks whose opinions aren't that valuable in the first place. Move on.

Ca1amity

Neo Member
Should, as some have proposed, the ex-1UP staffers find themselves with other full-time work that prevents them from following through on their independent projects; the only appropriate course of action would be to donate the funds to charity.

You can of course say "whos to know if they really did and whats to prevent them from wasting the money before donating whats left" as both of these statements are potentially true. They are also potentially true of any organization you choose to give your money to. All you can rely on in these situations is your own intuition and what you are led to believe. This point is therefore moot. Furthermore, they will give the cash to charity should they be unable to use the funds. They will do so not because of any overriding moral obligation but because if it ever comes to light that they fucked around with the cash their careers in the industry will be ruined. This brings me nicely to my next point.

Attention all "small business owners" and "economics majors" etc. : None of the people involved in these podcasts as 'radio personalities' or whatever you want to call them were at any time responsible for ensuring that the podcasts they produced were contributing positively to the bottom line of their parent organization. They were not involved in generating new revenue streams nor was it part of their concern exactly how Ziff Davis would be able to generate a profit from the Game Group from quarter to quarter.
Their sole responsibility was the production of editorial content. Some of this content came in the form of podcasts and yes this was was not, strictly speaking, the work for which they were hired. However, if we would be so kind as to remember our 1UP history - specifically the words of Jeff Green - we would recall that the decision to begin podcasting came from the top down and in fact many staffers were reluctant to participate, doubting the need and effectiveness of such content (the proto-brodeo crew included).
I mention this to illustrate quite clearly that the podcasts were not spearheaded by the editorial staff in some cockeyed scheme for fame and the ability to screw off at work while still drawing a salary. Their creation was the result of upper Ziff management and their profitability (or obvious lack thereof) was the purview of this same level of management - not the staff.
To attempt to claim that donating money to these people is akin to throwing good money after bad and is therefore a poor decision crosses the line separating misinformed from asinine. In short - you're being a douchebag (I hope you see what I did there). This brings me conveniently enough to my third point.

The act of "donating money" to these people has been the other incendiary topic and as far as I can tell its really coming down to myopia and semantics.
Some are against donating money because there are much "better" things you can donate to than a bunch of recently unemployed, soft california gamers. This is true and there is no defense against the statement. However, before you use this argument with any seriousness I demand that you post a scan of the taxable donation portion of your tax return and then a tally, in dollars, of all the shit you bought this year because you *wanted*, not needed it. If the former outweighs the latter, go ahead and shout - you're a better person than the rest of us. If not, put your hand down.

Some are against donating money to these people because they couldnt run a successful podcast in the past and do not deserve to have cash sent their way to fuck it up again. Your argument is in error and I direct you to the paragraphs above - these people have not had a chance to prove that they can run a successful business, as financial management was never part of their job descriptions. Oh, and Mr. Independent Businessman? You'll give a couple of kids running a start-up company the benefit of the doubt on business management wont you? Seeing as how im posting in a place that, despite any current success, no investor would have sunk dollar-one into when it began? It is paying the bills isn't it? Thanks.

Some see the donations as an awesome scam - get your severance pay, throw up a donation button, wait for the cash to come in and do whatever you want instead of (and this is the part i particularly like) finding a real job. Has anyone else noticed that undercurrent of "what they do isnt special, anyone could do it, why arent they looking for real work?" because I sure as shit have.

Heres the thing, for all the posts about no real education, about them just talking and being entertaining, about what they provide being available elsewhere? I have a news flash for you. If you can get someone to pay you for what you do that is a real job. If you can continue to do so because you have marketable skills that are in demand and which, over time, become more valuable you have a career. Thats it. Period.
They were drawing a salary from Ziff and now they arent. Technically they're drawing their pay from $12000 worth of benefactors - benefactors who for the most part havent given money so that Chuff can have a taco, but because they expect... wait for it.... a return on their investment. Sounds a lot like working where you do doesnt it? If what people have put up money for doesnt come around, no more funds will be forthcoming and in the future these individuals will have a harder time making said money.

This happens every day in capitalist society - investors put money into untested ideas, products, etc. - sometimes they see a return and sometimes they dont. The reasons behind these investors actions are as varied as the things their money goes towards.

It is lunacy to think for even a second that someone is wrong because they invested money (lets remove the whole 'donate' term here) in something that provides them entertainment and who does so with a reasonable expectation of deriving more entertainment from it.

Yes, by putting up the donation button, despite whatever text went along with it saying "we dont need the money", they were in essence saying at the exact same time "we will take your money". This is not the hypocrisy you're looking for. This is intelligent business - getting money to keep doing something you like and which also has the potential to keep you employed (in any of a myriad of direct or indirect ways) is not some shell game.

Have they at any point denied that theyre taking cash without needing it? Does the fact that theyre doing it offend your sensibilities (and if yes, are you a communist)? Is the act of others donating affecting your financial well being in some way? If you still get to listen to content (which a few weeks ago you would have said you enjoyed) at a level of quality you have come to expect, for free, because of these donations, are you against it?

The answer to all of these questions is obviously 'no'. Reflect on your own argument and on this fact.

Finally, as a thought:
What if in 5 years RebelFM is monetized and has become as successful as Penny-Arcade? What if in this fantastical future everyone who donated now does not have to pay the subscription fee? Wouldnt you look back and say "that was a wise investment".

Consider, if you will, a future where after trying their best, the ex-1UP staff were absorbed into larger organizations and their independent effort ceased. When you look back and say "im glad i saw that movie 5 years ago and didnt give any cash to those fools" is the feeling not the same as if they had succeeded?

What if, 5 years from today, the beloved moderators of NeoGAF - having become pillars of the enthusiast community - decided to strike out as a real gaming entertainment team. Imagine if they said "we dont need money, but you've asked if you can give it anyway and we'd be fools to say no". Imagine my return. When I call all their supporters douchebags and am quickly banned. Imagine the irony.

But that will never happen... its just unthinkable... Isnt it?

DarkJC

PantherLotus said:
Not sure what happened here, but from a normal guy perspective:

1. I've had job cuts, layoffs, 'rightsizing,' and restructuring of my company looming over my head for a year now. Stressful as fuck.

2. I have just enough money that if both my wife and I lose our jobs (not completely unlikely), that we could pay all our bills for almost 6 months and then we'd have to bail on our mortgage and our car payments. We'd be broke as fuck.

3. I have absolutely no fame whatsover outside of that thing I did one time at my buddy's party. No connections and I don't know anybody that would give me money.

4. If I did have even a remote amount of fame, I wouldn't use it to ask for donations. I grew up being taught that taking handouts was shameful, but

5. I don't blame these guys one fucking bit. More power to them, and if the twits around here that want to donate, be my guest. Doesn't hurt my feelings. Hopefully something good comes out of it.

6. The righteous anger in this thread is preposterous. It's really zero business of anybody's to question what another does with his or her money, much less how one decides to make it.

7. The righteous indignation of the donators is also ridiculous. Like you dweebs shouldn't be called out.

C'mon people. Shit ain't black and white. Guys lost their jobs, took advantage of their status, big deal. It's not wrong for them to ask, it's not wrong for NeoGaf to give, it's not wrong for people to think that it's dumb as hell.

It is wrong to spend this much time arguing with a bunch of dorks whose opinions aren't that valuable in the first place. Move on.

Well said.

@Ca1amity

Thank you for posting what I felt towards the matter, much better than I ever could have.

Lakupo

Well, it's not like they asked for donations, people asked to donate. And then lots of people donated. Hundreds of people "chipped in" with $1, $5, $10. Sure, some $40 donators here and there (as evidenced by some of the posters here), but the average is still in the 20 dollar range. It's the same principle of how Obama raised so much money: small amounts of money, just en masse. (not bringing up politics or that he was asking for money, just the basic principle of multiplication) If hundreds of people donate 10 bucks to something, they'd get thousands of dolars. It's pretty simple.

Everyone's more stuck on the end result (12k) and ignoring how it got there. (small change)

dream

Ca1amity said:
Finally, as a thought:
What if in 5 years RebelFM is monetized and has become as successful as Penny-Arcade?

I think TWIT is a better analogy -- especially since the RebelFM guys are following the same model (TechTV goes down, Leo and co. start TWIT and survive on donations until getting ad revenue and eventually expands to be an entire podcast network).

Johnkers

dream said:
I think TWIT is a better analogy -- especially since the RebelFM guys are following the same model (TechTV goes down, Leo and co. start TWIT and survive on donations until getting ad revenue and eventually expands to be an entire podcast network).

He initially wanted to live on donations alone though.

RevenantKioku

FunkyMunkey said:
So anyone going to donate to help world hunger or peace, or is gaming journalism where the line is drawn?
What is this kind of argument? Does someone who makes a donation to something have to prove all the worthier causes they also donate to?
I bought shareware off of some guy because I loved the software and wanted to see more updates coming towards it. I get them, it's awesome. Does this make me a bad person because I may not have donated to charity the same amount that year?

DarkJC

FunkyMunkey said:
So anyone going to donate to help world hunger or peace, or is gaming journalism where the line is drawn?

Oh give it a rest.

Next thing you know people will be donating to AIDS research and along comes the GAF-we-know-what-to-do-with-your-money squad bitching about how more kids die every day due to hunger and that they were much more worthy of your money.

Where is the line drawn indeed.

Zen

Banned
Calamity made several great points, it would be interesting to see Wasabi respond to them.

One can dream, I suppose. :p

FunkyMunkey said:

I like the assumptions happening in this post.

seanoff

you all got your knickers in a bunch.

but

if you want to donate to random guys to buy pretty shiny things more power to you.

that said $12K will get a lot of very shiny equipment

a 16 track aw1600 yamaha digital recording/mixer with HDD and USB in/out is $999, $60 for mic cabling, (6 mics), 6 akg hsc271s ($500 each).

this stuff is top of the tree equipment and that's $4K.

so that's the podcast done.

me, i'd prefer to pay for the content, or have them sell advertising or a combination of these.

charge 50c for the podcast on itunes/zune/amazon store. i'd pay that for 1.5 - 2hrs of entertainment. get 10k downloads, that's $5k a week. if the content is that compelling that there is a thread this big here on it, that should be achievable.

get 30k downloads, these guys can do it permanently, no need for other employment AND publishers will send them stuff, previews etc if the reach is that great + they could fund their own trips to E3, CES etc, which i would imagine are tax deductible.

but i would prefer they pony up their own money. i'm buying a shop, i expect i'll earn about 70k a yr from it, but i have to come up with the cash first. no one is going to give it to me.

FunkyMunkey said:

cr_blah_blah said:
If it makes any self-righteous asshole feel better, I donated much more to Child's Play this winter.

no donation needs to be justified but there you go

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I think a certain number of people are just sick and tired of seeing the 1UP circle jerks on GAF heighten year after year. The folks at 1UP and EGM are your standard "games journalists" who write opinionated reviews, previews, and news articles that can be found anywhere else on the internet or via friends. They are nothing special; the only reason why people seem to think they are is because they have no one else to fill that spot in their lives.

Let's do a round-up of the sickening moments of GAF <3's 1UP history:

- An alarmingly large volume of people proclaiming that "weekends are here!" when a certain 1UP podcast was released weekly. To a normal person, the arrival of a weekend doesn't consist of spending almost 2 hours listening to a group of people chatter on about video games. There comes a point where the boundary of reality and weirdness has been crossed and the incessant glorified reception to these podcasts on GAF was definitely crossed.

- Certain reviews released by 1UP were heralded as gospel, opinions were proclaimed as the second coming of a supreme being, personalities were clashed together over who's opinion was better than who's.

- The, almost bordering on stalker-status, tag of "Mangod" onto Shane Bettenhausen. I don't know the guy, never heard him talk or read anything he wrote. But the animated gifs, jpgs, and "MANGOD STATUS CONFIRMED!" posts really went over the top. Add up a tally of posts from this single thread about the ongoing status and whereabouts of Mr. Bettenhausen and I'm sure they'd number in the very high hundreds. C'mon guys, he is just a regular person who has a hobby of gaming and seems to have relatively strong opinions - now you're resembling the women who buy those celebrity magazines week in, week out.

- A 100+ page on the demise of EGM and a major culling of the herd at 1UP. Another gaming magazine folds under, a website is internally redesigned from the ground up by the new owners... and yet we have this thread sitting its fat arse periodically on page 1 or page 2 of GAF ever since it happened. You'd think the world had ended and the audience of posters in this thread were stranded on the Moon as they watched their homeworld blow up.

Whether you support or hiss at the notion of donations is another kettle of fish because I've seen things like this happen on a yearly basis in the translation and hacking scene within older games and they usually end up at the depths of the ocean lost and never found. It might be different this time because there are personalities here that people have obviously latched onto but who can tell for certain. The truth remains however that the first thing these guys should have done was worry about finding a new job, not bother themselves setting up websites and procuring devices to continue on with something that was in their past occupation - the retort to this is that the fans demanded it but ultimately isn't your livelihood a tad more important than fan reception?

Maybe Chris Kohler was right all along in his Mr. Creepy Fascination With Ziff-Davis skit. It's time to get a grip on reality boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom