• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP sold to UGO/Hearst. EGM gone. 1up show & podcasts gone. 40 1up/EGM employees gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHarvey16

FateBreaker said:
oh it's quite easy to see both sides. it's a fundamental issue. if you have extra money and wish to donate to a site you enjoy, cool, in theory. the reality is, though, that there are much "better" ways to spend that money, like helping people who are literally starving to death in Africa. WasabiKing may have overreacted, but he has a point: do we give our extra money to podcasts/etc we support and like or for something for a life struggle in Africa.

personally i would never donate. i think there are better uses. but to each his own....their money.

Replace "podcasts/etc" with "video games." What changes?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Teknopathetic said:
"You know it's strange how all this started to go sour once the numbers came in how much they managed to raise from the donations, I wonder why......"

I don't think too many people are jealous of folks who just lost their jobs.

Just saying.

But they are jealous of people who were able to garner enough attention to get this money from donations. You can defend whoever you want but I do believe that. This reaks of jealousy.

MThanded said:
Did you guys hear 1up was bought by UGO?

That is fucking bullshit man! I think we should organize a boycott of UGO. How dare they purchase 1UP when they could have used that money to feed starving children in Africa!!!

Iksenpets

Banned
So is anyone who downloaded the last Radiohead album and paid the option donation rather than donating that money to charity a bad person? What about people who donate to their PBS station? Donations to PACs and political parties? Where do you draw the line here? People donate money all the time to tons of things that no one would ever call charitable. It's a ridiculous thing to get outraged over.

FateBreaker said:
oh it's quite easy to see both sides. it's a fundamental issue. if you have extra money and wish to donate to a site you enjoy, cool, in theory. the reality is, though, that there are much "better" ways to spend that money, like helping people who are literally starving to death in Africa. WasabiKing may have overreacted, but he has a point: do we give our extra money to podcasts/etc we support and like or for something for a life struggle in Africa.

personally i would never donate. i think there are better uses. but to each his own....their money.
I don't think people should get hung up on the "charity" aspect of this. Think of it as a "payment optional" exchange like Radiohead - In Rainbows.

"But they are jealous of people who were able to garner enough attention to get this money from donations. You can defend whoever you want but I do believe that. This reaks of jealousy."

I can't tell you how to think, but I can tell you that what you think is pretty silly.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
lowrider007 said:
You know it's strange how all this started to go sour once the numbers came in on how much they managed to raise from the donations, I wonder why......

Shit. If anything, their numbers taught me the potential to make bank on something so simple to do. I mean, damn. Set up some microphones in your living room, invite some friends and bullshit for 1:30 on a topic you love. Promote it, fo it on a regular schedule, have a catchy intro and make some bank.

MThanded

Teknopathetic said:
"But they are jealous of people who were able to garner enough attention to get this money from donations. You can defend whoever you want but I do believe that. This reaks of jealousy."

I can't tell you how to think, but I can tell you that what you think is pretty silly.
what?

Kintaro said:
Shit. If anything, their numbers taught me the potential to make bank on something so simple to do. I mean, damn. Set up some microphones in your living room, invite some friends and bullshit for 1:30 on a topic you love. Promote it, fo it on a regular schedule, have a catchy intro and make some bank.
Do it ,you wont make shit. I cannot explain this but there is a good chance you will not make any money at all. You should do it and see if you do make money. Maybe this is some niche market.

I need to take my ass back to the arcade stick and SF4 threads. This shit is getting to thick for me.

Kintaro said:

Hey, if it's good, I'm sure you would.

jacobs34

Kintaro said:

Please do this and let me know how much money you make, you'd be making my point for me. Please do this!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Teknopathetic said:

jealousy is a rather normal human reaction. It would be silly to deny that it didn't have some part in why Wasabi and Gaimeguy came out.. Otherwise they would have little motivation to post (that much) about an issue that has so little to do with the.

MThanded

grandjedi6 said:
jealousy is a rather normal human reaction. It would be silly to deny that it didn't have some part in why Wasabi and Gaimeguy came out.. Otherwise they would have little motivation to post (that much) about an issue that has so little to do with the.

Hes going to say that you think silly.

3381-bs62.jpg

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
FateBreaker said:

If this were a philosophy forum maybe, but its a gaming forum and we're in gaming discussion. Most people here spend more money on that hobby than the average donation could have been. Its insane to me to make that argument HERE and call someone a douchebag if you arent gonna call everyone a douchebag.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Kintaro said:

dude, I swear if you do this and it's good then I have money waiting for you, bookmark my post.

"jealousy is a rather normal human reaction. It would be silly to deny that it didn't have some part in why Wasabi and Gaimeguy came out.. Otherwise they would have little motivation to post (that much) about an issue that has so little to do with the."

Yes, jealousy is a rather normal human reaction. So is finding any reason you can to quickly and cleanly dismiss someone with a dissenting opinion on something they like/support/whatev. Like saying they're jealous.

grandjedi6

Teknopathetic said:
"jealousy is a rather normal human reaction. It would be silly to deny that it didn't have some part in why Wasabi and Gaimeguy came out.. Otherwise they would have little motivation to post (that much) about an issue that has so little to do with the."

Yes, jealousy is a rather normal human reaction. So is finding any reason you can to quickly and cleanly dismiss someone with a dissenting opinion on something they like/support/whatev. Like saying they're jealous.
how ironic

Teknopathetic said:

Now granted, I assume you know Wasabi a bit better than I - but still... If there is another explanation for his post please explain. Is it just a matter of general frustration at the way things are going with the economy and perhaps his own business? Perhaps Wasabi really does have a soft spot for those staving kids in Africa?

I mean, I'd love to believe that... but the way it was worded with its Intro to Business Economics section, and the fact that it was posted in a place where so much money is spent on frivolous things... I find it hard to separate honest disgust in human beings with base level jealousy.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
mamacint said:
I don't think people should get hung up on the "charity" aspect of this. Think of it as a "payment optional" exchange like Radiohead - In Rainbows.
exactly. "donate" doesnt mean hwat ya'll must think it means.
could not have said it better myself...
staccat0 said:
I PAID FOR IN RAINBOWS TOO YOU TWATS!!!
:lol

KHarvey16

Teknopathetic said:

You speak as though these people presented reasonable, informed arguments. They did not.

MThanded

Teknopathetic said:

you did that to my post.... What are you talking about?

"how ironic"

I'm sorry if you can't see how...special it is to assume everyone who raises a stink about something might not be jealous of laid off video game writers.

"you did that to my post.... What are you talking about?"

Surely, you can understand why I wouldn't want to spend any significant amount of time writing up a response to people going "blah blah blah JEALOUSY!!"

Surely.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
First I was trolling to be an asshole, then I was being paid to troll, now I'm expressing my jealousy.

IT'S ALL SO SIMPLE!

Staccat0 said:
If this were a philosophy forum maybe, but its a gaming forum and we're in gaming discussion. Most people here spend more money on that hobby than the average donation could have been. Its insane to me to make that argument HERE and call someone a douchebag if you arent gonna call everyone a douchebag.

I'm not the one calling anyone a douchebag. It's your money, you earned it, so spend it as you will. All I was doing was responding to the dude that said he could not see the other side (paraphrasing). Personally, I think it's fairly easy to see both sides. WasabiKing was extreme--you're not a douchbag. I'd never say that. I just think there are better ways to spend your extra money. (I may not be making sense. I sleepy.)

Knox

I'm not about to tell anyone what to do with their money, but personally I don't see myself donating. There are plenty of high quality game podcasts out there that I enjoy without 1up (Idle Thumbs, Gamers with Jobs, Giant Bomb, Brainy Gamer, Player One). So for me it's hard to justify donating when these guys are making it happen on their own. For the 1up Show guys I can almost see myself contributing, because there's nothing else out there like the 1up Show that I know of. Still I'd like to see them get it done on their own because otherwise it's not going to last.

Zen

Banned
False premise, considering them being laid off isn't the subject of the alleged jealousy. And if you're going to say he's retarded, but in a more condescending way, just say it. :\

EDIT: Ironic.gif

GaimeGuy said:
First I was trolling to be an asshole, then I was being paid to troll, now I'm expressing my jealousy.

IT'S ALL SO SIMPLE!

They got it all wrong, you're just being obnoxious, regardless of whatever opinion you hold. Seriously there's a difference between what you say and how you say it.

KHarvey16

FateBreaker said:
I'm not the one calling anyone a douchebag. It's your money, you earned it, so spend it as you will. All I was doing was responding to the dude that said he could not see the other side (paraphrasing). Personally, I think it's fairly easy to see both sides. WasabiKing was extreme--you're not a douchbag. I'd never say that. I just think there are better ways to spend your extra money. (I may not be making sense. I sleepy.)

Dude...VIDEO GAME FORUM

MThanded

KHarvey16 said:
Dude...VIDEO GAME FORUM

This is a huge contradiction here. By a show a hands how many of you own a video game or a video game system?

Am I in an OT thread?

voltron

Wasabi, Gaime and anyone complaining about people donating money, you seem to be missing the point entirely.

I didnt donate but I can tell you the reason people donated was not to help get the guys on their feet and help pay rent or feed them. Its so they keep producing content.

Its as simple as that. It boils down to selfish reason, like most things in life.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
FateBreaker said:
:lol
no, no, no, no.
I didn't think you were calling anyone anything and your post is completely reasonable and level- headed. I don't want you to think I was attacking you. I just was saying that I think its hard to see the point given the context.
your a good guy.

P.S. didn't donate

grandjedi6

Teknopathetic said:
"how ironic"

I'm sorry if you can't see how...special it is to assume everyone who raises a stink about something might not be jealous of laid off video game writers.

"you did that to my post.... What are you talking about?"

Surely, you can understand why I wouldn't want to spend any significant amount of time writing up a response to people going "blah blah blah JEALOUSY!!"

Surely.
It's ironic because you yourself are guilty of "to quickly and cleanly dismiss someone with a dissenting opinion".

And people aren't jealous of laid off writers, they are jealous of the money said writers have been donated. THe human mind is complex enough to make such distinctions

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
MThanded said:
Do it ,you wont make shit. I cannot explain this but there is a good chance you will not make any money at all. You should do it and see if you do make money. Maybe this is some niche market.

I need to take my ass back to the arcade stick and SF4 threads. This shit is getting to thick for me.

I'll look for you when SF4 hits. =)

Please do this and let me know how much money you make, you'd be making my point for me. Please do this!

dude, I swear if you do this and it's good then I have money waiting for you, bookmark my post.

I know I stated it in a crass way, but I was actually being serious. There is much to learn here if you really look hard enough. I'm a guy who would love to make a living, even if meager, writing about stuff I love. I've said what I said in my posts because I've seen people do it just writing random shit on blogs. One of my favorite websites to read (I'll pimp it, it's not mine, http://www.zenhabits.net) is run by a guy who now supports himself writing about what he loves. Granted, even he has an old donate button on his site too.

There is potential, not even counting donations, to make a living off podcasts. Depending how good you are, a good living too. Or, like all things, you could fall on your face. That's ok too.

"False premise, considering them being laid off isn't the subject of the alleged jealousy. And if you're going to say he's retarded, but in a more condescending way, just say it. :\"

Then what exactly are they supposed to be jealous of? You could argue that it's unfair to call people douchebags for donating to whatever/accepting donations, but there's not much of a foundation to call them jealous. None of them (to my knowledge) are trying/have tried to run a podcast.

grandjedi6

GaimeGuy said:

IT'S ALL SO SIMPLE!
Then precisely what is motivating you to originally, and continuously, post about this?

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
MThanded said:
This is a huge contradiction here. By a show a hands how many of you own a video game or a video game system?

Am I in an OT thread?
I have a Wii, 4 remotes/nunchucks, 360, 2 controllers, my wife and I each have a DS, I also own a PS2 and an Ipod Nano.

I do some volunteer work, but rarely donate money to causes other than a dollar everytime I buy pet supplies. I think my time is appreciated by the great city of Austin however.

Sadly, if I were to donate, THAT is what would make me a douche.

Teknopathetic said:

Surely.

I can understand why you wouldn't want too, but then I'd guess you couldn't be bothered to reply in the first place. If we are missing some basic thing, please explain.

I can't figure heads or tails from your posts. If people are not jealous of 'games journalists' being laid off, why bring up the whole issue of jet setting to Japan and all of the swag they had access to. I agree being jealous of someone loosing their job is silly - but then why bring it up?

If people are honestly upset at the fact that people are spending their money on something like donating to a podcast.. they why bring up the Intro to Business topic?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Teknopathetic said:

So out of interest do you not think jealousy is playing a part in the new direction of this thread, considering the timing an all.

The reason why I think it is jealousy is becuase there are people on here that don't have the love for 1up and their shows like many of us, so to them they are just a bunch of random people that have lost their jobs, now they themselves may of lost their jobs in the past (The people I'm accusing of being jealous) or had to work pretty dam hard to get to the position they are in now without any handouts, so when they see these guys getting a 20 grand payout in the form of a donation they feel a little hard done by, they've never had a payout when they lost their job so why do this people deserve it ?, what's so special about them ?, all they do is sit and talk about games.

Now I'm thinking that is what is going on inside some of these jealous peoples heads.

Just an opinion mind.

jacobs34

vhfive said:
wtf happened to this thread

I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure I was called a douchebag. Oh well, I'm willing to accept my fate as a vaginal cleanser, I've come to terms with it. Perhaps in this new life as a useful feminine hygiene product I won't have to read poorly constructed arguments on an internet message board.

grandjedi6

Teknopathetic said:
"False premise, considering them being laid off isn't the subject of the alleged jealousy. And if you're going to say he's retarded, but in a more condescending way, just say it. :\"

Then what exactly are they supposed to be jealous of? You could argue that it's unfair to call people douchebags for donating to whatever/accepting donations, but there's not much of a foundation to call them jealous. None of them (to my knowledge) are trying/have tried to run a podcast.
My apologies, you are correct. Wasabi and everyone else are not jealous. They are instead envious.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Kintaro said:
I'll look for you when SF4 hits. =)

I know I stated it in a crass way, but I was actually being serious. There is much to learn here if you really look hard enough. I'm a guy who would love to make a living, even if meager, writing about stuff I love. I've said what I said in my posts because I've seen people do it just writing random shit on blogs. One of my favorite websites to read (I'll pimp it, it's not mine, http://www.zenhabits.net) is run by a guy who now supports himself writing about what he loves. Granted, even he has an old donate button on his site too.
There is potential, not even counting donations, to make a living off podcasts. Depending how good you are, a good living too. Or, like all things, you could fall on your face. That's ok too.
Don't worry most of them do:D

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
jacobs34 said:
I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure I was called a douchebag. Oh well, I'm willing to accept my fate as a vaginal cleanser, I've come to terms with it. Perhaps in this new life as a useful feminine hygiene product I won't have to read poorly constructed arguments on an internet message board.
:lol :lol :lol

"So out of interest do you not think jealousy is playing a part in the new direction of this thread, considering the timing an all.

The reason why I think it is jealousy is becuase there are people on here that don't have the love for 1up and their shows like many of us, so to them they are just a bunch of random people that have lost their jobs, now they themselves may of lost their jobs in the past (The people I'm accusing of being jealous) or had to work pretty dam hard to get to the position they are in now without any handouts, so when they see these guys getting a 20 grand payout in the form of a donation they feel a little hard done by, they've never had a payout when they lost their job so why do this people deserve it ?, what's so special about them ?, all they do is sit and talk about games.

Now I'm thinking that is what is going on inside some of these jealous peoples heads."

This is one ginormous assumption, though. This is also ignoring that 20k (or however much) split between a bunch of dudes, spent on whatever equipment they'll need for their projects, living in what I've heard is a pretty expensive place to live in doesn't really add up to much. And there's no telling if this amount of donations will sustain itself for a long period amount of time (or long enough for their projects to become self-sufficient or whatever). If this discussion/argument/
flamewar
had taken place 2 years from now and they were completely reliant on donations the entire time you might have something there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom