• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP sold to UGO/Hearst. EGM gone. 1up show & podcasts gone. 40 1up/EGM employees gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slavik81

Deku said:
I think the point was that people are paying for what clearly are people who can't seem to run a financially sustainable podcast when they had funding.
Does it matter whether it was financially viable? They're donations, not investments.

Rlan

speedpop said:
- An alarmingly large volume of people proclaiming that "weekends are here!" when a certain 1UP podcast was released weekly. To a normal person, the arrival of a weekend doesn't consist of spending almost 2 hours listening to a group of people chatter on about video games. There comes a point where the boundary of reality and weirdness has been crossed and the incessant glorified reception to these podcasts on GAF was definitely crossed.

For me the podcasts came out on Saturdays. I'd wake up on Saturday and bam - new 1up Yours and 1UP Show. I'd watch the 1UP Show through breakfast and then go to gym and listen to 1UP Yours while on the treadmill / doing weights. 1UP Yours was also a good listen if you were catching the bus home from a drunken night out with your mates :)

Though to be quite honest, I feel like I'm becoming Mr. Creepy fascination. Because of the surge of Twitter accounts I've added I'm now privy to a lot of @ conversations between them which kind of feels stalky. I might have to start removing some twitters :/

jax (old)

Banned
speedpop said:
I think a certain number of people are just sick and tired of seeing the 1UP circle jerks on GAF heighten year after year. The folks at 1UP and EGM are your standard "games journalists" who write opinionated reviews, previews, and news articles that can be found anywhere else on the internet or via friends. They are nothing special; the only reason why people seem to think they are is because they have no one else to fill that spot in their lives.

Let's do a round-up of the sickening moments of GAF <3's 1UP history:

- An alarmingly large volume of people proclaiming that "weekends are here!" when a certain 1UP podcast was released weekly. To a normal person, the arrival of a weekend doesn't consist of spending almost 2 hours listening to a group of people chatter on about video games. There comes a point where the boundary of reality and weirdness has been crossed and the incessant glorified reception to these podcasts on GAF was definitely crossed.

- Certain reviews released by 1UP were heralded as gospel, opinions were proclaimed as the second coming of a supreme being, personalities were clashed together over who's opinion was better than who's.

- The, almost bordering on stalker-status, tag of "Mangod" onto Shane Bettenhausen. I don't know the guy, never heard him talk or read anything he wrote. But the animated gifs, jpgs, and "MANGOD STATUS CONFIRMED!" posts really went over the top. Add up a tally of posts from this single thread about the ongoing status and whereabouts of Mr. Bettenhausen and I'm sure they'd number in the very high hundreds. C'mon guys, he is just a regular person who has a hobby of gaming and seems to have relatively strong opinions - now you're resembling the women who buy those celebrity magazines week in, week out.

- A 100+ page on the demise of EGM and a major culling of the herd at 1UP. Another gaming magazine folds under, a website is internally redesigned from the ground up by the new owners... and yet we have this thread sitting its fat arse periodically on page 1 or page 2 of GAF ever since it happened. You'd think the world had ended and the audience of posters in this thread were stranded on the Moon as they watched their homeworld blow up.

Whether you support or hiss at the notion of donations is another kettle of fish because I've seen things like this happen on a yearly basis in the translation and hacking scene within older games and they usually end up at the depths of the ocean lost and never found. It might be different this time because there are personalities here that people have obviously latched onto but who can tell for certain. The truth remains however that the first thing these guys should have done was worry about finding a new job, not bother themselves setting up websites and procuring devices to continue on with something that was in their past occupation - the retort to this is that the fans demanded it but ultimately isn't your livelihood a tad more important than fan reception?

Maybe Chris Kohler was right all along in his Mr. Creepy Fascination With Ziff-Davis skit. It's time to get a grip on reality boys.

wassup mr miserable.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
DarkJC said:
Where is the line drawn indeed.

There is no true definable placement for the line, end of the day it's our money and as long as we're not hurting anyone or breaking the law we can do the **** what we want with it, no walls of text, no explanation needed, it's as simple as that really.

jax (old)

Banned
WasabiKing said:
If any of you make a donation, you're a douchebag. There are better causes than some guys who got their asses laid off.

And if any of you laid off posers take the money, you're even bigger douchebags.

wow. this started it?

laid off posers?

douchebags?

this is the gaming forum and people care about these personalities and their opinions and well, their money and how they chose to spend it. But really, for you to post that in that tone, amazing. Why don't you suggest some causes in a different thread. Because you know what, this isn't the place for this.

Eh? People are complaining that GAFfers are wasting their money on entertainment rather than donating to worthy causes? Have you been in the monthly pick-up thread lately?

Madness.

speedpop said:
I think a certain number of people are just sick and tired of seeing the 1UP circle jerks on GAF heighten year after year. The folks at 1UP and EGM are your standard "games journalists" who write opinionated reviews, previews, and news articles that can be found anywhere else on the internet or via friends. They are nothing special; the only reason why people seem to think they are is because they have no one else to fill that spot in their lives.

- Certain reviews released by 1UP were heralded as gospel, opinions were proclaimed as the second coming of a supreme being, personalities were clashed together over who's opinion was better than who's.

- The, almost bordering on stalker-status, tag of "Mangod" onto Shane Bettenhausen. I don't know the guy, never heard him talk or read anything he wrote. But the animated gifs, jpgs, and "MANGOD STATUS CONFIRMED!" posts really went over the top. Add up a tally of posts from this single thread about the ongoing status and whereabouts of Mr. Bettenhausen and I'm sure they'd number in the very high hundreds. C'mon guys, he is just a regular person who has a hobby of gaming and seems to have relatively strong opinions - now you're resembling the women who buy those celebrity magazines week in, week out.

- A 100+ page on the demise of EGM and a major culling of the herd at 1UP. Another gaming magazine folds under, a website is internally redesigned from the ground up by the new owners... and yet we have this thread sitting its fat arse periodically on page 1 or page 2 of GAF ever since it happened. You'd think the world had ended and the audience of posters in this thread were stranded on the Moon as they watched their homeworld blow up.

Whether you support or hiss at the notion of donations is another kettle of fish because I've seen things like this happen on a yearly basis in the translation and hacking scene within older games and they usually end up at the depths of the ocean lost and never found. It might be different this time because there are personalities here that people have obviously latched onto but who can tell for certain. The truth remains however that the first thing these guys should have done was worry about finding a new job, not bother themselves setting up websites and procuring devices to continue on with something that was in their past occupation - the retort to this is that the fans demanded it but ultimately isn't your livelihood a tad more important than fan reception?

Maybe Chris Kohler was right all along in his Mr. Creepy Fascination With Ziff-Davis skit. It's time to get a grip on reality boys.

Die Please.

EGM Magazine and 1up network was a staple of my gaming coverage for years.

They always came through with good cover stories, engaging articles, exclusive interviews and worlds first reviews, yeah the content dwindled with Snowball Media and Fox with IGN, but EGM always was heralded for the quartermann, the review scores and the cover stories.

THen the 1up network focused on the grassroots with 1up yours and they created a community, that we all could connect with, 1up became part of my week with yours and show.

I thank them for making it a staple in the 15 or so years i enjoyed their medium.

karobit

speedpop said:
An alarmingly large volume of people proclaiming that "weekends are here!" when a certain 1UP podcast was released weekly.
The, almost bordering on stalker-status, tag of "Mangod" onto Shane Bettenhausen. I don't know the guy, never heard him talk or read anything he wrote.

If you've never heard him talk and, therefore, don't listen to 1UP Yours, why would you be reading the 1UY thread where people would be "confirming" weekends?

And complaining about a thread reaching 100+ pages and continually being on the front page? ...The hell? Do people complain about the Rock Band and VC threads too?

I don't even understand that statement.

The, almost bordering on stalker-status, tag of "Mangod" onto Shane Bettenhausen. I don't know the guy, never heard him talk or read anything he wrote.

"What's the deal with people who love bacon? I've never eaten the stuff, but those people are freaks."

I mean you are literally saying "I don't have any knowledge about this thing but I don't like it and I don't like anyone who likes it."

Seriously. What the hell.

speedpop said:

Be honest for once. This breaks down to you think anyone can do their jobs - you think anyone can write an article about videogames. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you probably think that you can write better than a lot of the staff. This arrogance makes you blind to the fact that many of the people at 1UP were excellent writers who could get their point across in an entertaining way, which is why they have such a big following. The point is that these personalities cannot be found "anywhere" on the internet; they could only have been found at 1UP. Nobody else does anything like the 1UP show - I can count on one hand the amount of podcasts that have the audio quality, structure, and excellent format that 1UP's podcasts had. They are excellent, extremely talented people at what they do and for that we should celebrate them.

speedpop said:

The "weekend is here" is merely a play on the show's catchphrase "weekend confirmed." You look like an ass trying to harp on people enjoying phrases and moments from their entertainment medium. If you watched a show (or anime in your case) for years and years you wouldn't be excited for when it comes on? You don't latch on to any catchphrases or the like that come from the show? People praise the egm/1up crew because they are really funny/interesting/etc people if you ever read or listened to anything... which you haven't.

Zenith

Banned
lowrider007 said:
Then I hope your not going to buy any games any more, or in-fact buy anything that gives you enjoyment, and instead only spend your money on African charities, many of us on here weren't even giving the money in a 'charitable sense' but we're giving a donation for services already rendered.

$22,000, you divide that by the 1000 or so people that donated, and it's only $22 per head, are you really going to cry about someone giving $22 out to a group of people that have provided us with so much free awesome content over the years when many people are spending $60 on a game every week, come on dude.

Whilst I agree with the top para, 22k is just way too much. get some perspective people. Everyone knew this was coming but nobody cared whenever someone posted a "Ziff files for bankruptcy" thread. then you all freak out as if your mother's died or something? they don't need 22k, a tenth of that would be pushing it even.

Ledsen

Zenith said:
Whilst I agree with the top para, 22k is just way too much. get some perspective people. Everyone knew this was coming but nobody cared whenever someone posted a "Ziff files for bankruptcy" thread. then you all freak out as if your mother's died or something? they don't need 22k, a tenth of that would be pushing it even.

You do realize that those 22k didn't come from one person, right? So how were the hundreds of people who donated supposed to know that together, their donations would amount to a shitton of money?

Zenith

Banned
Ledsen said:
You do realize that those 22k didn't come from one person, right? So how were the hundreds of people who donated supposed to know that together, their donations would amount to a shitton of money?

it tells me that waaaaayyyyyyy too many people lost perspective.

fact is they do not need 22K. no way, no how.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
*wakes up*

*reads last 10 pages*

Wow @ donations, that's pretty wild.

Re: Wasabi's comments, he doesn't care for the 1up personalities at all, so to him this is like donating to the next Uwe Boll production after Postal bombs, when tons of other productions had financial trouble. Of course, for many there is no worthy substitute for what 1up did with their video show and podcasts, and I'd personally like Uwe Boll to make as many movies as he can!

The general negativity all of a sudden is mostly the shock at the total amount that was received, I'm sure, when a startup podcast really doesn't need anywhere near tens of thousands of dollars to keep going. Whether RebelFM peeps get leet recording equipment or spend it on hookers and blow -- or both, I don't think most donors went in with any sort of strict expectations besides the dudes continuing the podcast and maybe looking towards other opportunities, so I won't begrudge them and their coke money until the podcast stops.

Just uhh, if you're going to donate money just to spite someone like Wasabi for his negativity, how about you point your browsers to http://www.unicef.org/ instead, because that's when all this starts to seem very fucking silly. The RebelFM dudes probably have enough for now, eh.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Ledsen said:
That's why Wikipedia has a donation gauge and a set target. They could have learned from that. Simply makes sense to first look how much money you actually need and then transparently and continuously measure what's coming in. Maybe next time?

eznark

Banned
If people want to donate money, I don't feel like I have any right to tell them there are better causes than the one that is important to them. You should give your support to the things you find important, not the things that people try to guilt you into giving money to. If you choose to donate $2000 to the Ultimate Warrior's political campaign over starving kids in Cambodia...good for you man, support what you believe in. You earned that money, you distribute it how you see fit.

To the 1up guys, you've gotten a shit load of loot to support your future endeavors (after getting paid more than $40,000 a year, according to Anthony). Transparency and disclosure will go a long way to making sure that gravy train keep flowing. Show people that they are getting their money's worth and they'll keep giving.

Slavik81

Zenith said:

Sorry? How many of those people said "These people need 22 thousand dollars. I'll chip in $20 bucks and do my part."

I don't think ANYBODY was expecting that many donations.

speedpop said:

Hello, Grumpy McGrump!

Zenith said:

Well... if you enjoyed the 1UP Show and the podcasts free of charge over the last few years, I don't think its that big of a deal to drop 20-30 bucks to help these guys get started with either podcasting part-time with Rebel FM or starting a business with the ex-1UP show guys. If anything, in the latter case you are probably helping the economy by creating some jobs with a small amount of donations.

If 3000 people donated, thats less than 8 bucks a person. I don't think anyone lost perspective with anything.

I just wonder, do you guys donate to the firefox add-on guys if you use firefox , to donate to people who been laid off for less then 2 weeks seems kind of stupid, what did they blow all there savings on video games and blow?

Zenith said:
I hope you aren't a sports fan.

El-Suave

wmat said:
That's why Wikipedia has a donation gauge and a set target. They could have learned from that. Simply makes sense to first look how much money you actually need and then transparently and continuously measure what's coming in. Maybe next time?

We need to remember that most of this has been started a day or two after they had been fired from 1UP and without everything or anything being totally planned out. At first, nobody really knew that the podcast guys and the video crew were going to be two seperate entities even.
So maybe a little bit more coordination and/or better communication would have been warranted, but I don't think they (or the people who donated) knew what to expect when it started.

Personally I don't see my donation as an investment even - if they all would get hired tomorrow and be spread all across the country/world and there couldn't be anymore podcasts or shows, I'd be happy for them instead of mad. For me, any money given was primarily a way of saying "Thank you" for the hours of enjoyment I have gotten out of your products while walking my dog or on Saturday morning in case of the 1UP Show. Under that aspect I would have donated exactly the same amount even if I had known how massive the willingness to give something back would be.

Amir0x

Banned
$12,000 dollars is pretty impressive. I hope they do spend that money on hookers and blow, though. That'd be a more fitting way to go out in a blaze of glory.

yankeeforever2 said:
to donate to people who been laid off for less then 2 weeks seems kind of stupid, what did they blow all there savings on video games and blow?

Its pretty expensive to live in the Bay Area. I remember staying for a month in what was literally a shack for like $1500. And that was way before the economy went into the shitter.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
If I'd see like $200 on my PayPal account an hour after having put a Donate! button onto some site, I'd immediately take action to ensure everyone sees that stuff gets out of control.

If you would have known they already had 5k on their account when you donated, would you have donated the same amount?

infinityBCRT said:
Its pretty expensive to live in the Bay Area. I remember staying for a month in what was literally a shack for like $1500. And that was way before the economy went into the shitter.
Well I'm just saying unless you are using the bare basics of any computer, there has been stuff on your comp you have got for free and probably laughed at the please donate button(I usually do), I not saying feed the children, I'm just saying people who work for Free on the internet whose stuff you use use deserved the money more then people who got payed to do a podcast for a long time, ehh just the way I think of it.

Guled

In the case of the 1up show guys, they are starting a video production company. So I imagine that the lawyers and business things cost a lot of money up front.

El-Suave

wmat said:
If you would have known they already had 5k on their account when you donated, would you have donated the same amount?

Personally I would have to say "yes", although my donation wasn't spectacularly high to begin with. Maybe if I had planned to donate $50 or something, I might have thought about cutting it back a bit. But what little I gave I could totally justify even right now under the "thank you" aspect I mentioned.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Guled said:
In the case of the 1up show guys, they are starting a video production company. So I imagine that the lawyers and business things cost a lot of money up front.
That's why you go to a bank and talk to those guys, usually, preferably with a business plan in your pocket.

I certainly never heard of an upstart firm financing their first month with donations while they're still looking for a new job (or even backing up a credit with donations). Is there a precedent for this?

By the way, are these actually donations? I mean, it says so on the button, but what do american tax laws say about this kind of thing?

yankeeforever2 said:
Well I'm just saying unless you are using the bare basics of any computer, there has been stuff on your comp you have got for free and probably laughed at the please donate button(I usually do), I not saying feed the children, I'm just saying people who work for Free on the internet whose stuff you use use deserved the money more then people who got payed to do a podcast for a long time, ehh just the way I think of it.
Should we apply that thinking to sports, where athletes make millions to play a game, or movies where the stars only need to work a few weeks and make millions?

On the other hand, those donations amount to nothing for those guys personally, even if they weren't spending it on audio/video equipment (and people here are really underestimating the cost) and split it up among themselves, it would barely cover 2 weeks expenses for them personally.

KaosAngel

Banned
Wow, can't believe people donated that much. I wish I got that much when I was laid off.

I never liked 1up or EGM, they always think they know more about Japan than most, and I remember a few times they were wrong about some stuff.

Then again, I've only been living in Japan for years now, and just recently started working here. The only site I know that gets it right about Japan has been Giant Bomb (hence why they were the only site I've ever donated anything to...a couple Dissidia Potions).

I really don't understand why people are donating to them when there are much more needed causes out there that benefit people. Before anyone gets on me, I'm Muslim and I have to pay Zakat on a yearly base for a noble cause.

But whatever, people can do what they want...just really sad 1up would get over 10k USD while loads of others were laid off due to douchebags in Office or heading corporations. Again, I don't care anymore, if it makes GAF happy, then I am content.

No_Style

Wow. @ This thread

This is another one of those "I saw it first on GAF" moments. People getting upset over other people's donation choices.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
beelzebozo said:
i see the jerks have invaded this circus. predictable.

You're thinking about it the wrong way. If this were a podcast, this would be unedited opinions and entertainment.

Zenith

Banned
Guled said:

don't they have any money of their own after so many years of gainful employment?

Scanning the last few pages, it was nice to see that people have begun donating to the "think for yourself, fellow gamer" charity fund.

wmat said:
One thing:

As soon as you have a "Donate!" button, you're asking for donations, no matter what's written underneath.. That's a fact. So you can hardly say that they were talked into anything by fans. They actively took steps to gather donations although, as they stated, they don't need any.

That's like me having a project donation button (per default though) on my shitty sourceforge project site. I can hardly say "Oh shit, don't give me money" and expect anyone to take me seriously on that.

The question remains why they DO accept donations, and they say they'll justify it later on. They simply want money. You can't deny that, right?
Teknopathetic said:
Rabid fans and smug ex-employees and donation rackets, oh my.
speedpop said:

This is like watching Intervention...

a whole lotta truth bombs being dropped here :lol

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i donate to filmspotting, too. they use the money to pay for sound equipment, movie tickets, and the trips to film festivals so they can cover those movies. to do a podcast that isn't just casual fan-talk you have to be funded in some fashion.

The ex-1up guys just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about podcasting culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in game journalism where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you take donations when podcasting, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the podcast subscribers, after hearing about this, are not going to want to listen to eat-sleep-play or talkingorange, nor will they subscribe to any of their podcasts. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but the ex-1up guys have alienated an entire market with this move.

1Uppers, publicly apologize and refund all donations or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Flavius

TalkingOrange:

Episode 1 - panoramic shot of city skyline; zoom down to highway; cut to close-up of front of limo; slowly scroll down side of limo, hovering over "Talking Orange Productions" logo; cut to overhead view of limo; two heads pop up, man and woman; woman bends over, pulls down pants; man pulls something out of jacket pocket; cut to close-up of man and old, wrinkly ass covered in coke; it's Neil Patrick Harris, smiling slyly at the camera before doing a line off said old, wrinkly ass; cut to close-up of woman's face, it's Bea Arthur, who loudly declares...

"MONEY'S GONE, MOTHERFUCKERS!!! YOU'RE WATCHING..."

andycapps

If that $22k helps them to keep this podcast going for the foreseeable future, I'm fine with that. Now if they're going out and getting luxury items and living it up based on these donations, that would be a different story. But I don't think anyone has to worry about that happening.

Come on, these guys were huge figures and I expect that most, if not all of them will have jobs within a month. I imagine severance for them was a couple months. Yes, the economy is rough right now, but when you have this kind of exposure, jobs are bound to line up fast. Not to mention how talented each of these guys are in their own right. I really hope Skip gets a job fast after hearing what he went through, and seeing how talented he is.

Edit: More whining. Seriously guys, don't whine about getting refunds. Everyone gave them money to keep what they were doing at 1UP FM and 1UP Show going. Do you really think they're wasting all that money? Equipment is freaking expensive.

Ninja Kn1ght said:

I don't know how much the rest of you know about podcasting culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in game journalism where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you take donations when podcasting, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the podcast subscribers, after hearing about this, are not going to want to listen to eat-sleep-play or talkingorange, nor will they subscribe to any of their podcasts. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but the ex-1up guys have alienated an entire market with this move.

1Uppers, publicly apologize and refund all donations or you can kiss your business goodbye.
:lol :lol :lol

Flavius

Ninja Kn1ght said:

What the fuck?

Don't post while watching The Last Samurai, kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom