• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP sold to UGO/Hearst. EGM gone. 1up show & podcasts gone. 40 1up/EGM employees gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
pkollar Slightly bummed at the bit of GAF backlash on donations. Was inevitable, but I hope people know we aren't using money for fucking vacations

I think its pretty wack that you guys on here called them douchebags because they got money from donations. They did not steal the damn money. People decided to give it up. You can say there are better causes but its pretty stupid to call the receivers douchebags. This isn't gamefaqs...yet.

I can't believe people are going ape shit over this donation thing. If someone wants to throw someone a few spare bucks to put together an Internet show, what the fuck business is it of yours?

Get off your high horses, you lame fucks.

Vyer

Wow at this thread.

Moderators on a video game message board that accepted donations are ragging on people from a video game podcast that accepted donations.

How the fuck did that happen?!?

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Teknopathetic said:
"So out of interest do you not think jealousy is playing a part in the new direction of this thread, considering the timing an all.

The reason why I think it is jealousy is becuase there are people on here that don't have the love for 1up and their shows like many of us, so to them they are just a bunch of random people that have lost their jobs, now they themselves may of lost their jobs in the past (The people I'm accusing of being jealous) or had to work pretty dam hard to get to the position they are in now without any handouts, so when they see these guys getting a 20 grand payout in the form of a donation they feel a little hard done by, they've never had a payout when they lost their job so why do this people deserve it ?, what's so special about them ?, all they do is sit and talk about games.

Now I'm thinking that is what is going on inside some of these jealous peoples heads."

This is one ginormous assumption, though. This is also ignoring that 20k (or however much) split between a bunch of dudes, spent on whatever equipment they'll need for their projects, living in what I've heard is a pretty expensive place to live in doesn't really add up to much. And there's no telling if this amount of donations will sustain itself for a long period amount of time (or long enough for their projects to become self-sufficient or whatever). If this discussion/argument/
flamewar
had taken place 2 years from now and they were completely reliant on donations the entire time you might have something there.
I'm pretty sure your purposely ignoring what that money could be spent on purposely, but I'll bite...

Do you think they are gonna try to split that and pay rent with it?
Doesnt Anthony live in Oakland?:lol

skip

yeah, to be fair, it's really only 3 or so people. granted, there were enough misconceptions, false assumptions, and flat-out ignorance to support the weight of 300.

Vyer said:
Wow at this thread.

Moderators on a video game message board that accepted donations are ragging on people from a video game podcast that accepted donations.

[insert its neogaf dude gif here]

I don't know, but once i saw it, and from a poster with a red name i knew the thread was going to be instantly derailed :(

"Do you think they are gonna try to split that and pay rent with it?"

I don't really know what they're going to spend it on, which is why I also included "equipment for their projects." Like their podcasts and stuff. It was really a "catch all" sorta thing.

MThanded

Vyer said:
Wow at this thread.

It has to be some kind of joke. I never thought I would see mods at the center of all this.

wmat said:
Not people, but 3 individuals, if I counted right ;)

Wow, that's pretty fucking stupid.

DubloSeven said:
If someone wants to throw someone a few spare bucks to put together an Internet show, what the fuck business is it of yours?

Get off your high horses, you lame fucks.

QFT.

MThanded

In all truthfulness I would donate money to Gaf if we could get an updated forum template and the main site updated now and again. Thats just me. Also there are better causes out there.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Slizeezyc said:
What the deuce happened to this thread...?

Side A: I think the money donated to these cats could be better spent on starving children in Africa. I work hard and they had cool jobs! Why don't I get paid? Gaf serves the same function as podcasts. You guys are douchebags! They got a severance package and failed in the marketplace, but you insist on giving them a handout!?

Side B: Don't call us douchebags. It seems fishy that, of all the things people waste money on in this forum, THIS is where you draw a line. I'll spend my money how I want. GAF doesnt provide content, but instead relies on its users for content and you cats took donations yourselves. Most small websites take donateions. Get over it. you sound jealous.

In a nutshell. I'm inclined to agree with Side B, but I tried to summarize as fairly as I could.

voltron

Its not jealousy. Well, it could be. But I dont think it is.

Its ignorant people not 'getting' the fact that people looked forward to to consuming the different 1up media products each week the same way they might look forward to a TV show.

If you told me that I could have gotten another season of Deadwood after HBO didnt sign on for another season by donating a small amount Id do it in a second. If you told me that the donation was optional and the Deadwood crew are going to produce another season anyway because they love what they do too much, well Id donate in a second and Id donate a lot more.

Like I said, I didnt donate anything to the ex-Ziffers yet as money for me is a bit tight right now. But I wanted to, and for me I looked forward to 1upyours each week just as much as I looked forward to a new episode of Deadwood, or The Wire or whatever the fuck.

So seriously, you guys spitting out the snarky "yeah give your money to poor game journos when you could save an African village meme", well seriously just shut the fuck up.

Ok. I'll bite.

If this wasn't motivated by jealousy... then what? Why reduce the support from the fans in this thread to being simple douches? Because the money could be better spent on... what?

Crying over "backlash" is incredibly droll when they managed to spring up donation links all over the fucking interweb without having a clear goal or stated intentions. I'm pretty certain one of the blogs or whatever had a "We don't need money, plenty of others the world over need more than us, but hey we are still going to ask anyway".

Nobody's against users subsidizing stuff that can't support itself. That's happens all the fucking time all over the damn internet. This just seems like users trying to pay for the idea of content though. This isn't server costs or whatever, this is "Hey maybe we can make something cool" costs.

Vyer

Ok, reading a little bit more, I think the other 'wow' in this thread:

Gamers who spend money on games, shirts for their avatars and wallpaper for their console desktops ragging on gamers who spend money on video game podcasts and game videos.

This thread defies all logic.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Teknopathetic said:
"Do you think they are gonna try to split that and pay rent with it?"

I don't really know what they're going to spend it on, which is why I also included "equipment for their projects." Like their podcasts and stuff. It was really a "catch all" sorta thing.
Ooops! I admit I misread your post. Sorry. :/
still, I think its not the money or job aspect that people sound envious of. In reality, I think its the love and respect, but I honestly, I don't think thats what motivated this.

It DID come off that way.

Anywhoo... So ya'll know, I'd like to think I'd be thrashed and mangled by GAF if I decided to pop into a future music game thread (or some other expensive ass game) and start telling people how to spend money.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
http://talkingorange.com/
"Whatever the final products entail, we believe it a moral obligation when accepting donations to be completely transparent. We will detail exactly how much we've received and exactly how much is being spent and what on. We're settling on a name right now and once we do the site will be up and our first show will appear there. Talkingorange is Matt's personal site and really isn't set up for that sort of thing".

These guys couldn't be more honest even if they tried.

They've been keeping us involved and informed more than they've needed to right from the beginning.

whitehawk

Banned
Oh hai guys wats going on in here!

zjw0ba.gif

border

Slizeezyc said:
What the deuce happened to this thread...?

Pretty common message board phenomenon. The floodgates come open when people realize they can troll to support a moderator's position. Similar situations have happened locally with stuff like Too Human and Nintendo.

WasabiKing said:
BUT, somehow, our little rinky dink operation can PAY OUR BILLS, as we have little to no overhead. We don't have to resort to selling ads, we had VOLUNTEERS do a podcast with equipment that cost about $200, as confirmed by ddkawaii who worked on the second, and better, iteration of the NeoGAF podcast.
No offense to anyone involved, but the NeoGAF podcast sounded like it was recorded on about $200 worth of equipment.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I would best describe my feelings as those of absurdity about the whole situation.

People from a video game podcast who got paid salaries by a business to do that podcast, then after being promptly fired, asked for donations to start up a podcast of their own instead of looking for work.

If Matt Cassamassasalmon were fired from IGN, and then asked a bunch of people from, say, GAF or the IGN boards for donations to st art up his own nintendo fansite or message board

Or, if, say, someone writing for People Magazine got fired, joined the paparazzi, and asked for donations for camera and equipment

I would react the same exact way. I find it to be absurd and incredibly stupid to give these people money.

Deku

Banned
Vyer said:
Ok, reading a little bit more, I think the other 'wow' in this thread:

Gamers who spend money on games, shirts for their avatars and wallpaper for their console desktops ragging on gamers who spend money on video game podcasts and game videos.

This thread defies all logic.

I think the point was that people are paying for what clearly are people who can't seem to run a financially sustainable podcast when they had funding.

I'm sure the podcasts have immense value to some people, but when you have a bunch of pod casters who couldn't make it work when they had more traffic than they will undoubtedly have now asking for a handout to do more of the same, and have exhibited profligate behavior and an inability to manage budgets, it's a little counter intuitive to reward their failure. And clearly, the podcast were cut because they cost company time and money to run with no ad dollars coming in. Had they been done as side projects on the 1up staffer's own time from the very outset and featured as such and became popular, I'd be more sympathetic.

All I have is of an impression that some 20 year old kids found work in their dream job, had a bright idea to record their rantings into entertaining downloadable content and then went about doing it on company time with no plan to pay for it other than mooching off the proverbial tit of the parent (company).

I hope there is a business plan to turn the $12k plus into a investment that grows but I'm doubtful.

"People from a video game podcast who got paid salaries by a business to do that podcast, then after being promptly fired, asked for donations to start up a podcast of their own instead of looking for work."

I wouldn't go there, I'm sure they're all looking for work while also trying to maintain something they obviously enjoyed. (No sarcasm)

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Son of Godzilla said:
Crying over "backlash" is incredibly droll when they managed to spring up donation links all over the fucking interweb without having a clear goal or stated intentions. I'm pretty certain one of the blogs or whatever had a "We don't need money, plenty of others the world over need more than us, but hey we are still going to ask anyway".

Nobody's against users subsidizing stuff that can't support itself. That's happens all the fucking time all over the damn internet. This just seems like users trying to pay for the idea of content though. This isn't server costs or whatever, this is "Hey maybe we can make something cool" costs.
True, but I don't think your being fair. Nearly every small fansite/blog I've seen accepts donations and thats not built on anything other than a promise of continued content. The people who donated have at least had a glimpse at what they should expect. Furthermore, I think its obvious they got more than they expected and that they needed SOME funding help. The last podcast sounded like dick (I'm a audio engineer, so I'm not interested in being lectured about how much it should cost) and bandwidth and server issues will probably occur in the begining without help.

It would be one thing if they said, "We need $12,000!"
Instead, they said, "You guys wanna give us money to help get this bitch off the ground? Okay! Thank you!"

Seriously, they seem to have gotten more than they expected, but its not like these sites are gonna last very long if they cant keep purchasing all the big titles and flying to press events.

Thats all pointless to debate however, because its no one's business to call other names over how they choose to throw money away... no one was harmed.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
The horrible truth is that as soon as these guys have a new fulltime job (shouldn't take too long in my opinion, as I stated before) and the 12k are still lying around, we have a problem.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Teknopathetic said:
"People from a video game podcast who got paid salaries by a business to do that podcast, then after being promptly fired, asked for donations to start up a podcast of their own instead of looking for work."

I wouldn't go there, I'm sure they're all looking for work while also trying to maintain something they obviously enjoyed. (No sarcasm)
I guess so, it just seems weird to do this right now immediately after losing their jobs, to me :/

Deku said:
I think the point was that people are paying for what clearly are people who can't seem to run a financially sustainable podcast when they had funding.

I'm sure the podcasts have immense value to some people, but when you have a bunch of pod casters who couldn't make it work when they had more traffic than they will undoubtedly have now asking for a handout to do more of the same, and have exhibited profiligate behavior and an inability to manage budgets, it's a little counter intuitive to reward their failure. And clearly, the podcast were cut because they cost money, and time for not gain. Had they been done as side projects on the 1up staffer's own time from the very outset and featured as such, I'd be more sympathetic. And we're not even quite sure what they will use the money for.

I hope there is a business plan to turn the $12k plus into a investment that grows but I'm doubtful.

I'm staying out of this after this post, but I feel it necessary to point out that IT WASN'T OUR JOB TO MAKE 1UP'S PODCASTS "FINANCIALLY VIABLE." That's not what we were hired for, wasn't in our job descriptions, and was not something we had any control over whatsoever. It was our job to put our quality, entertaining podcasts, which, given their popularity, I think we did just fine at.

Okay, okay, out of this thread, focus on WOW.

jacobs34

GaimeGuy said:
I would best describe my feelings as those of absurdity about the whole situation.

People from a video game podcast who got paid salaries by a business to do that podcast, then after being promptly fired, asked for donations to start up a podcast of their own instead of looking for work.

If Matt Cassamassasalmon were fired from IGN, and then asked a bunch of people from, say, GAF or the IGN boards for donations to st art up his own nintendo fansite or message board

Or, if, say, someone writing for People Magazine got fired, joined the paparazzi, and asked for donations for camera and equipment

I would react the same exact way. I find it to be absurd and incredibly stupid to give these people money.

Do you want a cookie? Is that it? If I give you a cookie will you go away?

Should have known this place would take a left-turn towards stupid. It always does.

I donated money to them.

I did not donate to help them pay rent or because I felt sorry for them in any way. They are all talented and *will* land on their feet.

What I donated money for was the chance that I can get more of the content that I enjoyed. I freaking loved the 1up video show for so many reasons and I support any effort to get any form of that back.

Also, not everybody is broke. I have lots of money. If you are broke, dont rag on the actions of those who arent. If you just dont agree with the idea of donating, nobody put a gun to your head to donate and I dont see why anybody would argue as to why a person should or shouldn't donate.

I am my own person. Have my own reasons. Make a fantastic living. Love those guys but more-so loved the content they produced.

I will donate more if needed if they prove to be making good use of the gift given to them by their fans, as I have no doubt we will do.

So, to the two or three people making a fuss about donations. You can disagree but there should be no argument about it in any form whatsoever.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Deku said:

I'm sure the podcasts have immense value to some people, but when you have a bunch of pod casters who couldn't make it work when they had more traffic than they will undoubtedly have now asking for a handout to do more of the same, and have exhibited profligate behavior and an inability to manage budgets, it's a little counter intuitive to reward their failure. And clearly, the podcast were cut because they cost money, and time for not gain. Had they been done as side projects on the 1up staffer's own time from the very outset and featured as such, I'd be more sympathetic. And we're not even quite sure what they will use the money for.

The podcasts weren't cut. It was all the people ON THEM. You don't fire a podcast. They were cheap to make.
Also, who cares how kids spend money? This is the worst place on the internet to suddenly talk about better ways to spend money.
People give money to failed enterprises every day and are rarely called douches for it.

Am I a douche for buying Zach and Wiki even though it was obviously gonna flop?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Teknopathetic said:
Yeah, Pkollar just said on the Gamers With Jobs podcasts that they have been more busy now than they ever were at 1up. Finding work among other things was something he mentioned.

jobhunt confirmed

GaimeGuy said:

Who cares? Some people care and want to help for thier own reasons for donating, as I did and will continue to do (for the 1up show guys at least). Just shrug and move on. Some of you guys' reactions to this just stink of freaking jealousy.

Some of us actually have money and our own motivations. We don't need to check with you.

Seriously, I don't see why this thread is being allowed to take this turn, and yet a mod is involved here.....

I know this is a message board and everyone is entitled to their opinion but the fact is this, if we wanna donate money to the ex 1up guys that is our business. You can not agree with it but that doesn't give you the right to bash the people who have a genuine interest in the people that brought them so much entertainment these last few years. And uh...seriously, y'all sound jealous

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
GaimeGuy said:
I guess so, it just seems weird to do this right now immediately after losing their jobs, to me :/
Have you looked at the job market? they only have 4 months to figure this shit out. They didnt have time to wait. Most people would have sat back and dicked around. They started working on a new project. Wether it fails or not seems silly to debate.

I'm out. I havent heard a single thing from the haters that holds much water.

SpacLock

If anyone from the podcast is reading this right now (which I'm sure you are) I'm available for post production mixing and mastering for free. I'm in sound design and love(d) your podcasts.

I'm not taking any stance on the whole donation mess, just trying do what I can to hear it again. Just remember that you have free help before spending some of that money on an engineer which wouldn't be as awesome as I am.

Deku

Banned
Staccat0 said:
The podcasts weren't cut. It was all the people ON THEM. You don't fire a podcast. They were cheap to make.
Also, who cares how kids spend money? This is the worst place on the internet to suddenly talk about better ways to spend money.
People give money to failed enterprises every day and are rarely called douches for it.

I post here because I like the hobby of games. Those people who got cut had annual salaries and were producing content which they could not monetize for the parent company.

No shit they were cut.

Am I a douche for buying Zach and Wiki even though it was obviously gonna flop?
I don't agree with the strong wording used to described people who donated as was used by the obviously angry mod.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
SpacLock said:
If anyone from the podcast is reading this right now (which I'm sure you are) I'm available for post production mixing and mastering for free. I'm in sound design and love(d) your podcasts.

I'm not taking any stance on the whole donation mess, just trying do what I can to hear it again. Just remember that you have free help before spending some of that money on an engineer.
This, but in all honesty, SpacLock is probably the way to go.:lol I suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom