• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Freak readying the announcement of their next game (4Gamer end-year survey)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash_ag

From the 4Gamer end-year messages. Via Gematsu.

Tetsuya Watanabe (Game Freak)
Known for: Pokemon series

“We’re doing a lot of different things with respect to our next project, so right now we’re focusing on getting ready to announce it. We sincerely hope from the bottom of our hearts that it’ll be worth checking out once we get to that point.”

Tetsuya Watanabe is one of the senior programmers of Game Freak, typically the lead programmer of Pokémon games, but also the producer of 2013's HarmoKnight. The game he's talking about is not necessarily Pocket Monsters-related, but here are a few things to consider:

• There is unfinished business in terms of lore in XY, especially when it comes to Zygarde.
  • Interestingly though, Movie 2015 does not seem to feature Zygarde so far (favouring Groudon, Kyogre and Shiny Rayquaza instead).
  • XY have not been updated with the latest content (introduced in ORAS).
  • While Masuda has not dismissed the idea of a third version or sequel, he has mentioned that he wants to surprise players, suggesting repetition of previous business models is not entirely desired.
  • ORAS is liberal with Battle Frontier hints, and (once again) there is some unfinished business in terms of story.
  • Masuda didn't encourage the theory of Battle Frontier reappearing, although it could be considered vague PR.
  • The series have become more or less yearly in the last few years (internationally since 2009). Competition (read Yo-Kai Watch) is also yearly.
  • New 3DS is out in Japan and Oceania, coming out in Europe and North America in 2015. amiibo a big part of Nintendo's strategy.
  • Masuda has expressed interest in keeping a streamlined experience between games of the same generation -- ORAS didn't support n3DS because of that.
  • Pokémon's 20th Anniversary is in 2016.

With those facts on the table one has to wonder what Game Freak is up to. On one hand, utilising 2015 to build up hype for the 20th Anniversary, a potential Generation VII and/or an evolution to the series would make sense -- amiibo also introduced in the context of these three events. On the other hand, waiting for 2016 to introduce amiibo is not necessarily a great idea, due to 3DS wrapping it up as a platform.

Logistically speaking, Game Freak is a relatively small team, so, it's also not clear if they could pull off a new-Gen introduction in 2015. Maybe early 2016? There is also the possibility of Watanabe talking about a non-Pokémon game.

Update:
A little update from the man himself. Via Pokémon Memo.

I don't have an exact translation, but Masuda seems to be saying that game development needs to be accelerated and releasing a new game every three years is not necessarily the correct approach these days. I assume he talks about new-Generation games, as Pokémon's pace is currently approximately 15 months per SKU. He also says something about doing the best thing possible with every year's release and meeting certain quality standards.

I made a Translation yesterday based on the German Version, so here you go!
Luckily, we at GAME FREAK are blessed with great workers. Because of that i don't have to worry when i'm concentrating on new Games like Pokemon X and Pokemon Y and Sequels are being handled by other Project Managers. In Case of Pokémon Black 2 and Pokémon White 2 it was Takao Unno, and this Time Mr. Ohmori took the Wheel. When i give a Game in the Hands of another Project Manager, i need to be convinced that their Vision is the right one for the Game. The responsibillity will be entirely on him, but at the same Time he recives full creative Freedom. Naturally we hope that all Team-Members will support this Project Manager and give their best, thus at the End a Game of high Quality can be released. Releasing multiple Games over a short Time Period is always a Race against the Time. The more Time you'll invest, the better the Game will be. However, there are multiple Factors that prevent us from doing this. If we would always take three years of Time to develop a Game, we wouldn't be able to keep up with with the fast moving nature of the modern World. When we think about when to release a Game, we ask ourselfs when the demand for it from our audience will be the highest. But if we have one year of development Time, it'll becomes easier to look at the current Framework and to decide what needs to be improved, and what can stay in it's current condition. Thus, we have to do everything to achieve the best possible Result in the stated Timeframe

January Direct. No remake, new Pokeman. Gonna blow minds. Get hype now.

3bwQHs8.gif

Tan

something something pokemon snap grumble grumble pokemon pinball

But probably Pokemon Z or whatever

Pudge

This is just what I think, but it would be unwise to hinge an entire new generation on the amiibo gimmick. Especially considering that most 3DSs out there will need an accessory to take advantage of that. It's inevitable that they merge amiibo and Pokemon, it just makes too much sense, but it's not time for a real sequel yet.

I imagine that they'll make something like a Pokemon Z with amiibo support and then that will lead into the new generation in 2016. They can gauge the fan reaction and see how deep to buy into amiibo in the new games while treating it like the Pokewalker in this upcoming one.

Zalman

I was hoping they would take a year off from Pokémon after ORAS. Doesn't sound like that will be the case.

Arren

Personally, I really hope for it to be the beginning of an entirely new Generation, with new refreshing mechanics, a better presentation, better colors, smooth gameplay that doesn't grind to a halt at every miniscule animation and a much more inspired atmosphere overall.

I'm terribly tired of Gen VI. ORAS is nice, but the whole Gen managed to sour me on the series so far.

I imagine it'll just be Z, followed by something big for the 20th Anniversary. Possibly with better performance or enhanced graphics on n3DS.
Please be performance. Locked 30 in 3D would be amazing.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Early 2016, Pokémon Z. Two SKUs: 3DS and next Nintendo handheld (launch title for that). Gogogogo.

Of course, 80% next handheld won't be out by early 2016, most probablh late 2016, so you can ignore this :lol

ash_ag

This is just what I think, but it would be unwise to hinge an entire new generation on the amiibo gimmick. Especially considering that most 3DSs out there will need an accessory to take advantage of that. It's inevitable that they merge amiibo and Pokemon, it just makes too much sense, but it's not time for a real sequel yet.

I imagine that they'll make something like a Pokemon Z with amiibo support and then that will lead into the new generation in 2016. They can gauge the fan reaction and see how deep to buy into amiibo in the new games while treating it like the Pokewalker in this upcoming one.

I used to think they would wait for Generation VII to explore n3DS's full feature-set, including amiibo -- but I suspect they might introduce amiibo in 2015 regardless of n3DS support, because I'm beginning to think 2015 will be a determinant year for amiibo, and Pokémon support is important.

It's true that they won't base an entire generation on amiibo, but it will certainly be a key feature. It's possible that a Pokémon × amiibo initiative will go beyond the core games. It's easy to imagine a Disney Infinity / Skylanders - esque game on Wii U (and/or 3DS) that supports the same amiibo the Game Freak games support. It's even possible that certain stats or items would transfer between the two.

PKMN Z with amiibo support and >20fps
on new 3DS

Pokémon Z is probably not happening, considering Masuda joked about the idea. But even if a new Gen 6 game is coming in some form, I doubt it will support new 3DS-exclusive features. ORAS didn't support new 3DS because Game Freak wanted to keep same-generation games streamlined.

Drill Dozer 2, let's go

I say yes. eShop-exclusive, Sugimori-directed. There has literally not been a better time for a game like it.

JoeM86

I'm never going to have time to relax ever again :p

I don't think this will be a Pokémon announcement though. They did HarmoKnight in 2012 and Solitiba earlier this year, and the iOS/Android version of that just came out.

There also will not be a new gen introduction in 2015. Not a chance in hell. They also won't hinge things on amiibo. Considering how Masuda is against paid DLC, I doubt he'd be alright with that

Pokémon Z is probably not happening, considering Masuda joked about the idea. But even if a new Gen 6 game is coming in some form, I doubt it will support new 3DS-exclusive features. ORAS didn't support new 3DS because Game Freak wanted to keep same-generation games streamlined.

Z? No, probably not. Something Gen VI to do with Zygarde? That is coming

There are two moves as of yet unusued: Thousand Waves and Thousand Arrows. Both are Ground-type moves and do damage. Thousand Waves traps opponents and Thousand Arrows damages Flying-type Pokémon. Their animations both have the same hexagonal pattern as Zygarde. It's a similar situation to Ice Burn and Freeze Shock last gen

Keyouta

I hope it's not Pokemon, I'm burned out now from like 6 years of new releases each year, time for a break. They should announce a higher budget new IP to fill in for Pokemon this year. 2016 return with something special for the 20th anniversary.

bomer

Launch title for new hand held. Red/Blue full 3d remake and new engine for twentieth anniversary.

Will be there.

JoeM86

I hope it's not Pokemon, I'm burned out now from like 6 years of new releases each year, time for a break. They should announce a higher budget new IP to fill in for Pokemon this year. 2016 return with something special for the 20th anniversary.

They released a new IP this year. Just saying. They can do both.

Game Freak have got multiple teams. Their A team deals with the start of each generation. Their B team works on remakes/enhanced versions/sequel. Teams interchange people often, however.

Then, if staff have a good idea, they have a third team that develops other titles such as Drill Dozer, HarmoKnight and Solitiba. It's just as likely their staff had an idea akin to those and that's ready to be shown.

That said, I am fairly confident that we won't be seeing a new mainline Pokémon game released this coming year.

Keyouta

They released a new IP this year. Just saying. They can do both.

Game Freak have got multiple teams. Their A team deals with the start of each generation. Their B team works on remakes/enhanced versions/sequel.

Then, if staff have a good idea, they have a third team that develops other titles such as Drill Dozer, HarmoKnight and Solitiba. It's just as likely their staff had an idea akin to those and that's ready to be shown.
I know how their teams work. I'd like to see another higher budget ip from Game Freak though, like a retail game that isn't Pokemon. That hasn't happened since 2005 I think. 10 years.
I wouldn't mind a year or more without Pokemon. The absence of new Pokemon titles for a couple of years is something I wouldn't mind.
Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what comes up!

JoeM86

I know how their teams work. I'd like to see another higher budget ip from Game Freak though, like a retail game that isn't Pokemon. That hasn't happened since 2005 I think. 10 years.
I wouldn't mind a year or more without Pokemon. The absence of new Pokemon titles for a couple of years is something I wouldn't mind.
Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what comes up!

It'll never be a couple of years again. It'll have a year off at most. My bet is that we'll hear of the next game in the latter half of next year, but no release until Feb 2016, then the game following that will be a year and a half later in Novemberish 2017, probably a new generation as Gen VI will be 4 years old then

ash_ag

Z? No, probably not. Something Gen VI to do with Zygarde? That is coming

That said, I am fairly confident that we won't be seeing a new mainline Pokémon game released this coming year.

Here's an interesting thought: they could deal with Zygarde in a non-mainline entry. The closest we've come to that before was probably Manaphy being handled in Pokémon Ranger (with Game Freak's Matsumiya on the plot). I very much doubt 2016 will continue Gen 6, and if Game Freak was involved (to an extent) in a non-mainline Pokémon game that complements the mainline ones, that would certainly count as "surprising" players.

Granted, it's improbable -- if only because of the Movie seemingly ignoring Zygarde. But I really dig the idea if it meant Game Freak experimenting with other genres / mechanics or Pokémon's core world extending in non-RPG games.

Qurupeke

ORAS sequels where you'll visit Kalos post game. They'll take place a few years later after the first games and the Battle Frontier will be ready. They'll conclude Zygarde too that way.

JoeM86

Here's an interesting thought: they could deal with Zygarde in a non-mainline entry. The closest we've come to that before was probably Manaphy being handled in Pokémon Ranger (with Game Freak's Matsumiya on the plot). I very much doubt 2016 will continue Gen 6, and if Game Freak was involved (to an extent) in a non-mainline Pokémon game that complements the mainline ones, that would certainly count as "surprising" players.

Granted, it's improbable -- if only because of the Movie seemingly ignoring Zygarde. But I really dig the idea if it meant Game Freak experimenting with other genres / mechanics or Pokémon's core world extending in non-RPG games.

This upcoming movie is ignoring Zygarde, yeah, but the next one in 2016? Could happen.

Here's why I'm convinced we're not getting a main game in 2015

Hoopa Unbound.

Basically, most movies have had something with the main Pokémon that brought into the next game, especially when it comes to new forms. These were used to help advertise the new games which were just two to four months away from the movie's release

Pokémon Ranger & The Temple of the Sea (July 2006) had Manaphy and Manaphy couldn't be accessed until Diamond/Pearl came out in September 2006

Giratina & The Sky Warrior (July 2008) introduced Shaymin Sky Forme and Giratina Origin Forme. Neither were available until Platinum in September 2008 (and you needed the Shaymin from the movie to get Sky Forme at that time)

Arceus & The Jewel of Life (July 2009) gave you an Arceus that unlocked Sinjoh Ruins in HeartGold/SoulSilver and a shiny Pichu that gave you a special Spiky Eared Pichu in HeartGold/SoulSilver. Those games weren't released until two months after the movie.

Zoroark - Master of Illusions (July 2010) gave you a shiny Raikou/Entei/Suicune that gave you access to Zoroark in Black & White and a Celebi that gave you access to a Zorua in Black & White which was released in September 2010. These were the only ways to get these Pokémon until 2012. (Note: Celebi did unlock a time travel story in HGSS so it was thought about ahead of time)

Kyurem VS The Sword of Justice (July 2012) introduced Black/White Kyurem and Resolute Keldeo. Keldeo was distributed for preordering tickets in April 2012 and gave you access to Resolute Keldeo when the game came out. The game came out a month before the movie in a change from routine.

Diancie & The Cocoon of Destruction (July 2014) introduced Mega Diancie. Like before, this couldn't be obtained in X & Y and you needed the Diancie from the movie to get it

Now, datamining found Hoopa's new form in Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire and you need an event Hoopa to get it. Hoopa is almost certainly the Pokémon of the next movie thanks to the portals in the teaser. If there was to be a game planned for 2015, then they'd logically have not put that form into ORAS and would have used it to help promote the Autumn 2015 game. This, to me at least, is an indicator that we're not getting a new game in 2015 but they still wanted to include something cool and new for Hoopa.

Note: The above is speculation and not indicative of insider knowledge

Whatever happened to that Pikachu Detective game.

Was said to be for a Summer 2015 release. If it wasn't canned or delayed, we'll likely hear about it in February-April. It's not a Game Freak game, though.

Bio

I came to a realization playing Pokemon X/Y, that I think I am actually done with pokemon. I don't think anything is going to bring me back short of like, a console RPG with an awesome graphics style ala Ni no Kuni or something.

Camisado

I really don't think it will be a Pokémon game, and I kind of hope it isn't as well. This annual release thing is really starting to kill the franchise for me personally.

I'd rather have a game every 2 or 3 years that have some epic changes.

Still looking forward to what gets announced though.

Vaco6121

Pokemon MMORPG on WiiU. Believe.

This is what I want. Not a MMORPG per say, but a Wii U Online-enabled game where you can see other trainers (players) as they go about their journey and are able to team up with them or just battle them as you go about your own journey to the Elite Four to become Champion.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
This is what I want. Not a MMORPG per say, but a Wii U Online-enabled game where you can see other trainers (players) as they go about their journey and are able to team up with them or just battle them as you go about your own journey to the Elite Four to become Champion.
Sounds like a troll's dream.

ash_ag

Here's why I'm convinced we're not getting a main game in 2015

Very much agreed with that line of thinking. 2015 was suspected to be a non-release year ever since ORAS were announced if only because of Game Freak's work schedule -- the movie further supports those suspicions. My only concern is the mixed signals relating to Battle Frontier and the lack of time to handle Zygarde.

Prior to n3DS, I didn't think they'd bother to introduce Gen 7 before the next handheld, but it now seems very possible (especially with regards of what competition does). I don't find it wise for them to wait until 2017 to do that. Not to mention that concerning themselves with Zygarde and Gen 6 during the 20th Anniversary sounds a bit anti-climatic.

If I were them, I would be done with Gen 6 in 2015. They can cover Zygarde in 2015 via a spin-off, or even DLC (even if it were free -- a little gift for their fans can't hurt them business-wise). They can even leave it hanging for all most fans would care. :p After all, I wouldn't expect a DLC for an older SKU (XY) before one for ORAS.

Not utilising the 20th Anniversary to renovate the series across all media will be a big mistake in my opinion. 3DS's install base is strong and they can't wait for the next portable if they want to capture new fans' attention.

Vaco6121

Sounds like a troll's dream.

It would be, but having an offline mode available, like handheld games are now, would help with that. Basically I want to be able to see the other player on the field instead of having to go thru menus to find an online match to play and to play a Pokemon game with HD graphics.

Keeping all my fingers and toes crossed for Pokemon Z next year. X/Y was the most I've enjoyed a Pokemon game since G/S/C and I'm quite sore that they aren't usable competitively any more due to the new mega evos. I just want 1 final Kalos game to finish off Gen 6 that I can transfer all my competitive Pokemon and shinies to, then start fresh again with Gen 7.

Lagamorph

Give me a Pokémon game where I can visit every region and get every gym badge, then beat the PC of every previous game. My life will then be complete.

Dr. Buni

Another fucking Pokémon game, get excited! Can't wait to see what features Game Freak is going to remove from the game this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom