• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Freak readying the announcement of their next game (4Gamer end-year survey)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash_ag

A little update from the man himself. Via Pokémon Memo.

I don't have an exact translation, but Masuda seems to be saying that game development needs to be accelerated and releasing a new game every three years is not necessarily the correct approach these days. I assume he talks about new-Generation games, as Pokémon's pace is currently approximately 15 months per SKU. He also says something about doing the best thing possible with every year's release and meeting certain quality standards.

If anyone can give an exact translation, please do!

I'm not sure what they plan to do with Zygarde and Battle Frontier, but I'm more or less convinced that the next Game Freak Pokémon release will introduce Gen 7. Whether that means a November 2015 or a February 2016 release remains to be seen.

JoeM86

I don't have an exact translation, but Masuda seems to be saying that game development needs to be accelerated and releasing a new game every three years is not necessarily the correct approach these days. I assume he talks about new-Generation games, as Pokémon's pace is currently approximately 15 months per SKU. He also says something about doing the best thing possible with every year's release and meeting certain quality standards.

I'm not sure what they plan to do with Zygarde and Battle Frontier, but I'm more or less convinced that the next Game Freak Pokémon release will introduce Gen 7. Whether that means a November 2015 or a February 2016 release remains to be seen.

That's just part of the interview from the official strategy guide, which we have had for a while. It's talking about how they handled ORAS in it.

Nightbird

I made a Translation yesterday based on the German Version, so here you go!

Luckily, we at GAME FREAK are blessed with great workers. Because of that i don't have to worry when i'm concentrating on new Games like Pokemon X and Pokemon Y and Sequels are being handled by other Project Managers. In Case of Pokémon Black 2 and Pokémon White 2 it was Takao Unno, and this Time Mr. Ohmori took the Wheel. When i give a Game in the Hands of another Project Manager, i need to be convinced that their Vision is the right one for the Game. The responsibillity will be entirely on him, but at the same Time he recives full creative Freedom. Naturally we hope that all Team-Members will support this Project Manager and give their best, thus at the End a Game of high Quality can be released. Releasing multiple Games over a short Time Period is always a Race against the Time. The more Time you'll invest, the better the Game will be. However, there are multiple Factors that prevent us from doing this. If we would always take three years of Time to develop a Game, we wouldn't be able to keep up with with the fast moving nature of the modern World. When we think about when to release a Game, we ask ourselfs when the demand for it from our audience will be the highest. But if we have one year of development Time, it'll becomes easier to look at the current Framework and to decide what needs to be improved, and what can stay in it's current condition. Thus, we have to do everything to achieve the best possible Result in the stated Timeframe

What i don't like about this is how they think that they need to release a Game yearly. Release a Game every 2 years, and you're good. If you really need that Extra Money then Release some DLC a year later to make some Money. Additional Story-Parts or new Side-Quests or new Battle facilities to keep your Fans playing while working on the new Game.
They need that Extra Time, but it seems like they won't take it :/

ash_ag

I made a Translation yesterday based on the German Version, so here you go!

What i don't like about this is how they think that they need to release a Game yearly. Release a Game every 2 years, and you're good. If you really need that Extra Money then Release some DLC a year later to make some Money. Additional Story-Parts or new Side-Quests or new Battle facilities to keep your Fans playing while working on the new Game.
They need that Extra Time, but it seems like they won't take it :/

Thanks. So, what he seems to be saying is that the intermediate releases come as a result to the fact that releasing one game every three years wouldn't be enough. I suppose that doesn't mean that they are necessarily changing their pace with the Generation-introducing titles. Still, he raises the point that the industry today requires a more swift approach when it comes to game releases.

Very much agreed on the DLC part. Pokémon games would be augmented by consistently being updated with content. They are by nature a game you can go back to, and Game Freak could presume upon that fact by providing new quests for the players. Regardless, while the last few years have been quite frantic with release after release (naturally, with the series adapting to international releases and ORAS unexpectedly releasing in 2014), their titles are still about 1.5 year apart. For a series this popular, and by today's standards, that's not really an exaggeration.

Nightbird

Very much agreed on the DLC part. Pokémon games would be augmented by consistently being updated with content. They are by nature a game you can go back to, and Game Freak could presume upon that fact by providing new quests for the players. Regardless, while the last few years have been quite frantic with release after release (naturally, with the series adapting to international releases and ORAS unexpectedly releasing in 2014), their titles are still about 1.5 year apart. For a series this popular, and by today's standards, that's not really an exaggeration.

No it's really not. But as i said in the previous post. Their Games need a few additional hours of development in my Opinion.
This is completly Anecdotal, but the XY Versions burned me out on Pokémon. And not even in terms of Fatigue, but on a technical Level and Content-Level. Coming from Black/White2 (my Favorite Versions) to XY was quite shock once the Wow-Effect from the fancy new Graphics began to wear off. In Fact, i was burned so badly by the lack of things i could do after completing the Game, and how halfbaked it seemed to be, that this year was the First year i did not pre-order or even bought a Pokémon-Version since i came back to Gaming. :/

A solution would be to make the Teams larger, but i don't think that Game Freak would do that.

ash_ag

No it's really not. But as i said in the previous post. Their Games need a few additional hours of development in my Opinion.
This is completly Anecdotal, but the XY Versions burned me out on Pokémon. And not even in terms of Fatigue, but on a technical Level and Content-Level. Coming from Black/White2 (my Favorite Versions) to XY was quite shock once the Wow-Effect from the fancy new Graphics began to wear off. In Fact, i was burned so badly by the lack of things i could do after completing the Game, and how halfbaked it seemed to be, that this year was the First year i did not pre-order or even bought a Pokémon-Version since i came back to Gaming. :/

A solution would be to make the Teams larger, but i don't think that Game Freak would do that.

It's hard to tell if XY's shortcomings were a a matter of meeting deadlines or one of bad planning. If the time between BW and them (over three years) is any indication, I'd say it has less to do with how much time they had and more with how they took advantage of it. The A-Team had plenty of time to do planning and development, and the engineering teams had even more, considering Gen V reused Gen IV's engine. And when you look at the game's weaknesses aside of the technical matters -- a lot of it has to do with the quality of the story and lore.

When it comes to XY, I think they focused on certain features (Mega Evolution, online), which they indeed nailed at the expense of others (story, post-game content, meaningful update in mechanics). I'm cautiously optimistic that Gen VII won't repeat those mistakes. They will logically use an updated version of the engine, which should now work properly. And since their Gen VI achievements won't be able to be reused as an impress factor, they will have to focus on other features.

Think of how more premium Gen V felt compared to Gen IV, and consider that this time there's also the 20th Anniversary that might inspire them to do certain changes.

Nightbird

It's hard to tell if XY's shortcomings were a a matter of meeting deadlines or one of bad planning. If the time between BW and them (over three years) is any indication, I'd say it has less to do with how much time they had and more with how they took advantage of it. The A-Team had plenty of time to do planning and development, and the engineering teams had even more, considering Gen V reused Gen IV's engine. And when you look at the game's weaknesses aside of the technical matters -- a lot of it has to do with the quality of the story and lore.

When it comes to XY, I think they focused on certain features (Mega Evolution, online), which they indeed nailed at the expense of others (story, post-game content, meaningful update in mechanics). I'm cautiously optimistic that Gen VII won't repeat those mistakes. They will logically use an updated version of the engine, which should now work properly. And since their Gen VI achievements won't be able to be reused as an impress factor, they will have to focus on other features.

Think of how more premium Gen V felt compared to Gen IV, and consider that this time there's also the 20th Anniversary that might inspire them to do certain changes.

I really hope you are right. I really want to love the Franchise again, but right now, i can't. Let's see what they have in stock for it's 20th Anniversary :)

You pretty much nailed how I feel about Gen VI in general. I was hoping ORAS would make me warm up to it but I ended up largely having the same gripes I had with XY.

Zyae

These games desperately need a difficulty setting and a complete overhaul in mechanics. I wont buy another Pokemon game until both these happen.

These games desperately need a difficulty setting and a complete overhaul in mechanics. I wont buy another Pokemon game until both these happen.

The funny thing is that BW2 played with the concept of toggleable difficulty but then they decided to completely abandon the concept in Gen VI instead of expanding on it.

JoeM86

Difficulty, I agree. I loved Challenge mode. There is nothing wrong with the mechanics, however. Nothing at all. A complete overhaul would ruin the franchise.

I'm predicting a Pokemon MMO for the wii u with Amiibo

only in Pokemon threads do you see people advocating for unnecessary total gameplay unheavals (oh speak of the devil~ vvv) and expensive consumer-unfriendly pipe dreams about eight hundred video game compatible toy figurines

I can agree with the need for difficulty settings.

Why do you believe the series needs a mechanical overhaul? Is it because you've become tired with the series, or because you believe the system is flawed/doesn't work? Or is it because you've got this pipe-dream non-specific MMO/impossible 3D action RPG in mind like so many others? Regardless, I don't see any justification for changing Pokemon's mechanical core. I'd change quite a few things about these games, including many elements of how you progress through the story and the game world, but the actual battle and capture mechanics are just fine. Don't see why the entire series should change and abandon a solid foundation to appease people who just want 'freshness' at all costs.

What would you replace Pokemon's entire mechanical core with?

Difficulty, I agree. I loved Challenge mode. There is nothing wrong with the mechanics, however. Nothing at all. A complete overhaul would ruin the franchise.

Can't agree with that. The most glaring thing are these stupid IVs, which are just tedious busy work.
Instead of having meaningful choices in the DNA composition of your mons it's a clear optimal choice. Either you want 31, rarley 0 or something arbitary for hidden power.

I want a complex system where you can boost certain stats to the decrement of other stats through breeding and training. Think natures way extended.

ash_ag

Nothing at all? Consider that mechanics include not only the battle system, but also the way the player interacts with the world. I would argue that even the battle mechanics need an overhaul, but it's baffling to think anyone considers that the world exploration mechanics haven't become stale to say the least.

ORAS did a considerably good job in introducing new ways to explore the overworld. Both Sneaking and Soar are things I'm hoping will see further growth and focus on in the future. But they are certainly not enough. Most importantly, there's a desperate need for more (and more varied) field moves and a better system to handle them (rather than HMs).

As for the Battle System, it doesn't need as big an overhaul as to cut compatibility, so to speak, but it certainly needs to be updated in a big way. Particularly the moves system -- both how Pokémon learn moves and how they are used -- has to be reworked completely. Most people will also agree that the metagame has to become more dynamic and modern. Constant switching, easy OHKOs... Those things need to go. I agree the the basic principles must remain though.

The difficulty matter could also be handled through special modifications of the standard battle system for the purpose of the story. For example, special Pokémon (like Legendaries) could have more HP, or even more than four moves -- Gym battles could contain other challenges aside of normal battles too.

I'm playing through Omega Ruby right now...and everything is just so mindnumbingly easy.

Don't get me wrong, the game looks great and runs better than X/Y, but holy cow, I have 6 Pokemon that are at least 10 levels over the Pokemon of the opponents and I can one shot everything.

They really have to do something about that. And they should add some of the usual diversions you see in other JRPGs to make the game....idk..... to make everything feel a bit more premium/ a complete package. The latest Pokemons feel so limited and tiny in scope.

Zombine

Banned
I just want more Pokemon. X/Y had a good handful of awesome monsters, but it wasn't enough. I want a full gen of 150 monsters + Mega's.

JoeM86

Nothing at all? Consider that mechanics include not only the battle system, but also the way the player interacts with the world. I would argue that even the battle mechanics need an overhaul, but it's baffling to think anyone considers that the world exploration mechanics haven't become stale to say the least.

ORAS did a considerably good job in introducing new ways to explore the overworld. Both Sneaking and Soar are things I'm hoping will see further growth and focus on in the future. But they are certainly not enough. Most importantly, there's a desperate need for more (and more varied) field moves and a better system to handle them (rather than HMs).

Well I'm always open for new things added there

As for the Battle System, it doesn't need as big an overhaul as to cut compatibility, so to speak, but it certainly needs to be updated in a big way. Particularly the moves system -- both how Pokémon learn moves and how they are used -- has to be reworked completely. Most people will also agree that the metagame has to become more dynamic and modern. Constant switching, easy OHKOs... Those things need to go. I agree the the basic principles must remain though.

The difficulty matter could also be handled through special modifications of the standard battle system for the purpose of the story. For example, special Pokémon (like Legendaries) could have more HP, or even more than four moves -- Gym battles could contain other challenges aside of normal battles too.

I just cannot agree with this, however. That's a terrible suggestion that doesn't belong in the main series. If we were talking spin-offs, then sure I'd be fine with legends being like that, but the main game? Hell no. Balance is key and balance in regards to moves is an important thing. Just adding one extra move would completely screw things up and cause it to be chaos, and if you add it to just a handful of Pokémon, that would kill balance altogether.

I seldom switch in battles, and I know many that don't either. It is a tactic that's used, but it leaves the user open for damage. It's not as glaring as you think. As for OHKOs...if your Pokémon is OHKO'd, then you made a tactical error.

Can't agree with that. The most glaring thing are these stupid IVs, which are just tedious busy work.
Instead of having meaningful choices in the DNA composition of your mons it's a clear optimal choice. Either you want 31, rarley 0 or something arbitary for hidden power.

I want a complex system where you can boost certain stats to the decrement of other stats through breeding and training. Think natures way extended.

Don't forget that we're not meant to have perfect Pokémon. The only reason they've made it so easy to get high IV'd Pokémon now is as a counter to the cheaters, to try and get them to stop.

I'm playing through Omega Ruby right now...and everything is just so mindnumbingly easy.

Don't get me wrong, the game looks great and runs better than X/Y, but holy cow, I have 6 Pokemon that are at least 10 levels over the Pokemon of the opponents and I can one shot everything.

They really have to do something about that. And they should add some of the usual diversions you see in other JRPGs to make the game....idk..... to make everything feel a bit more premium/ a complete package. The latest Pokemons feel so limited and tiny in scope.

Turn EXP. Share off :) They're also far more wide in scope than the original ones are. They have been expanding like crazy. There's lots to do.

Muzy72

Banned
I'm also in the "XY totally burnt me out" camp. ORAS is the first mainline Pokémon game I skipped since Diamond/Pearl. I think Pokémon needs a total revamp. The battle system is completely fine and the incremental updates they've introduced every gen to the battles like the physical/special split and Mega Evolutions are good enough upgrades for me, the problem I have is everything outside the core battle system. XY was a step in the right direction for multiplayer, and they should keep improving that aspect, but the single player is stale as shit. It needs to be harder, it needs to take cues from other RPGs (Soar and Sneaking are cool but need to be heavily expanded upon), be more exploration based (I should be able to go through the gyms in any order, they need to make the world more interesting to explore, etc), and it needs to stop using the same damn formula.

ghibli99

As someone who just finished my first Pokemon game ever (X) and is totally into breeding and other such time-sinks, I'm excited. Trying to breed a Shiny sucks your soul, though.

Keyouta

I'd like to see difficulty settings return, but just make it selectable at the beginning, B2W2's way of doing it was weird. Also, I'd like features introduced in games to be expanded upon instead of removing them for another feature the next game. New features are always good, but don't remove them. I want future games to have DexNav, but I'm pretty sure it'll be gone.

Assuming this announcement concerns Pokémon.

Give me a Pokémon game where I can visit every region and get every gym badge, then beat the PC of every previous game. My life will then be complete.

Man, I could literally die happy after that, so long as I could capture every Pokemon ever in it, including the ones that needed mystery gifts and stuff.

That system would still boil down to people finding the perfect build for every Pokemon, it would just increase the tedium of building a "perfect" team. Pokemon is a game of calculations and reading your opponent. There's going to be optimal builds for a Pokemon and a lot of min/maxing, it's just the nature of the competitive aspect of the series.

ash_ag

I just cannot agree with this, however. That's a terrible suggestion that doesn't belong in the main series. If we were talking spin-offs, then sure I'd be fine with legends being like that, but the main game? Hell no. Balance is key and balance in regards to moves is an important thing. Just adding one extra move would completely screw things up and cause it to be chaos, and if you add it to just a handful of Pokémon, that would kill balance altogether.

I'm talking about the battle in the context of story. Certain boss battles could involve special mechanics for increasing difficulty and interest. Perhaps you'd have to KO the Legendary (or any special boss Pokémon) under special conditions before having a "normal" battle, where you'd be able to potentially catch it. Imagine battling Primal Groudon with your entire party and seeing it do all sorts of crazy things -- certainly more climatic than basically OHKO'ing it. Legendaries having more than four moves in normal situations is obviously a crazy idea. :p

I seldom switch in battles, and I know many that don't either. It is a tactic that's used, but it leaves the user open for damage. It's not as glaring as you think. As for OHKOs...if your Pokémon is OHKO'd, then you made a tactical error.

It's certainly better now than it used to be a while ago (especially in Gen IV), but I maintain that switching needs to become a more calculated move. It very often is more cheap than it should and it slows the pace of 6v6 battles. And perhaps OHKO is an exaggeration, but my point is that many match-ups are way too one-sided (which itself drives switching :p). I agree that situations of match-ups that create big disadvantages are part of the metagame, but they shouldn't be as common as they currently are, in my opinion.

I expect yet another Pokemon and probably releasing next year. Looks like it's turning into a yearly entry whilst Nintendo is in desperation mode. Have got to milk that cow somehow.

That system would still boil down to people finding the perfect build for every Pokemon, it would just increase the tedium of building a "perfect" team. Pokemon is a game of calculations and reading your opponent. There's going to be optimal builds for a Pokemon and a lot of min/maxing, it's just the nature of the competitive aspect of the series.

There won't be a singular optimal build, there will be a changing meta of which stats to focus on for the specific pokemon. Now a standard attacker just needs 31 IV SPD which is boring and just a waste of time. What if you could invest for example in more ATK to the decrement of SPD. This would allow for far more meaningfull and varied team compositions.

This system would of course only follow after extensive rebalancing. It's a shame that smogon needs to clean up the mess gamefreak makes, if you want to use a substential amount of viable mons.

Don't forget that we're not meant to have perfect Pokémon. The only reason they've made it so easy to get high IV'd Pokémon now is as a counter to the cheaters, to try and get them to stop.
I don't care what the game designers once thought how the game should be played. The reality is, if you are serious about PvP you need flawless Pokemon. They should have come to the same conclusion.

It's also baffeling how the story of game and anime contradict it self with the actual game mechanics.

Azuran

Banned
There won't be a singular optimal build, there will be a changing meta of which stats to focus on for the specific pokemon. Now a standard attacker just needs 31 IV SPD which is boring and just a waste of time. What if you could invest for example in more ATK to the decrement of SPD. This would allow for far more meaningfull and varied team compositions.

This system would of course only follow after extensive rebalancing. It's a shame that smogon needs to clean up the mess gamefreak makes, if you want to use a substential amount of viable mons.

Really, Smogon? The same place when you need to run the same Pokemon and guys like Talonflame dominate? The same place where Greninja is probably going to be OU banned and will now live in purgatory because it has to share a tier with monsters like Arceus and Mewtwo where it stands no chance?

Doubles is the way to go if you want a balanced metagame.

JoeM86

I don't care what the game designers once thought how the game should be played. The reality is, if you are serious about PvP you need flawless Pokemon. They should have come to the same conclusion.

It's also baffeling how the story of game and anime contradict it self with the actual game mechanics.

And that's why they made it so it's easier to get them. They should NEVER remove mechanics just because of cheaters.

Zalman

There is nothing wrong with the battle mechanics of Pokémon. That is something they should never change. They should, however, reconsider almost everything else. Especially if they want to release these every year.

JoeM86

There is nothing wrong with the battle mechanics of Pokémon. That is something they should never change. They should, however, reconsider almost everything else. Especially if they want to release these every year.

I am fairly certain they won't be releasing 2015. They've only been "yearly" for three releases. Not sure why people are acting like this has been going on for ages.

catch and train more Pokemon. EXP share is awesome for that. I'm just before the Elite 4 now and I've got something like 35 Pokemon at level parity with them. Makes the game more challenging and more varied without having to impose nonsense limitations on yourself (like nuzlocke)

Zalman

I am fairly certain they won't be releasing 2015. They've only been "yearly" for three releases. Not sure why people are acting like this has been going on for ages.
You're right, but it is worrying. Judging by the pattern, I think most people expected a year-off in 2014. That didn't happen. Next year will certainly be interesting.

JoeM86

You're right, but it is worrying. Judging by the pattern, I think most people expected a year-off in 2014. That didn't happen. Next year will certainly be interesting.

Well I have some logic behind thinking 2015 will be off :) Think we'll be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom