• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Freak readying the announcement of their next game (4Gamer end-year survey)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FSLink

Banned
Well I'm always open for new things added there

I just cannot agree with this, however. That's a terrible suggestion that doesn't belong in the main series. If we were talking spin-offs, then sure I'd be fine with legends being like that, but the main game? Hell no. Balance is key and balance in regards to moves is an important thing. Just adding one extra move would completely screw things up and cause it to be chaos, and if you add it to just a handful of Pokémon, that would kill balance altogether.

I do think an interesting idea would be to allow Pokemon to have access to all their learned moves (or egg moves if they had them) at all times, but only 4 "equipped" during battles, and you can't change which moves they have during battles. Would make it more convenient. Change the Move Relearner to just another Move Tutor who teaches the stronger "learned" moves like Aura Sphere or whatever to Pokemon like Togekiss and whatnot who only learn certain moves through the Move Relearner.

There won't be a singular optimal build, there will be a changing meta of which stats to focus on for the specific pokemon. Now a standard attacker just needs 31 IV SPD which is boring and just a waste of time. What if you could invest for example in more ATK to the decrement of SPD. This would allow for far more meaningfull and varied team compositions.

This system would of course only follow after extensive rebalancing. It's a shame that smogon needs to clean up the mess gamefreak makes, if you want to use a substential amount of viable mons.

I don't care what the game designers once thought how the game should be played. The reality is, if you are serious about PvP you need flawless Pokemon. They should have come to the same conclusion.

It's also baffeling how the story of game and anime contradict it self with the actual game mechanics.

Physical sweepers would max out attack at the detriment of special attack. It doesn't really matter if that's EVs or some system that's exactly the same but more complicated and tedious. Your system would boil down to max EVs in attack, no matter the complexity. There will always be an optimal build in Pokemon. Some Pokemon might have a handful of optimal builds, but they'd still exist and no amount of complex raising special attack to lower attack training will stop that. It will just make a system that's already kind of tedious (but getting better) into something more tedious.

The anime is getting better about not contradicting the show. I actually watched an episode awhile back that explained abilities, and I never thought they'd bother with those in the anime, since it's a very "gamey" thing. Also Pokemon in the anime only ever know four moves, which I think is actually pretty cool and faithful to the games.

Smogon also doesn't "clean up the mess Gamefreak left." They don't do anything but organize the insane amount of data and complexity of the game into a nice and consistent format. They can't change that data, and some of Smogon's rules are rooted in rules Gamefreak themselves invented (like Sleep Clause). Smogon doesn't do any re-balancing and many of Smogon's bans aren't allowed in Gamefreak tournaments anyway (like many legendaries).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wait, people are seriously suggesting double abilities?

For the love of Arceus please don't. Just go play PMD for how bullshit it is.

I don't expect a main Pokemon release from Game Freak this year. DLC at best but that seems unlikely. It'll be good to have a year off so they can focus for next year. I bet it's an eshop title like Harmoknight.

Scarftail

Neo Member
Z? No, probably not. Something Gen VI to do with Zygarde? That is coming

There are two moves as of yet unusued: Thousand Waves and Thousand Arrows. Both are Ground-type moves and do damage. Thousand Waves traps opponents and Thousand Arrows damages Flying-type Pokémon. Their animations both have the same hexagonal pattern as Zygarde. It's a similar situation to Ice Burn and Freeze Shock last gen

There's a problem here. In order for there to be games dedicated to Zygarde (this year or next year), the strong foreshadowing of a new region with new Pokemon (basically Generation VII) that was done back in XY will be rendered completely redundant; if we agree that this year is off, would it make any sense for the foreshadowing to be done as early as XY if we still had to wait until 2017? Hell, the Backpacker who hands you the Strange Souvenir explicitly states we'll see the region "in due time." Thus, the only way to live up to their promise is for there to be a DLC Zygarde-based event for XY. However, I do acknowledge that they have an issue with DLC even if it's free, so what's your take on this? They could just distribute a Zygarde with those two moves via Pokemon Link and a spin-off game focused on Kalos' ancient history, but I seriously doubt there won't be new Zygarde forms in this generation, and if they are flat-out against DLC as a whole, the only option is for there to be further Kalos games. I'm pretty much lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom