• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto 04.02: "The Lost & Damned" (!!Official Thread!!)

MrTroubleMaker said:
what? Isn't this a Live exclusive, so that means it's for PC/360, right?

It's only for 360 for the immediate future. In the more distant future it may come to the other platforms but 360 only now.

Keikoku

Banned
Dabanton said:
Err i thought that was well know. What does DLC mean to you?

There will be no physical copies of the game you buy the 1600 point cards in store or download straight form Xbox Live.

I was talking about that nice boxart, I know there was just a code for 1600 points inside.

Buccket

Neo Member
American culture, still hard to understand.

People on TV slaughtering one another is OK, showing a pixel-dick in a videogame and all the alarmbells go off.

Thank God I live in Europe.

Buccket said:

People on TV slaughtering one another is OK, showing a pixel-dick in a videogame and all the alarmbells go off.

While I disagree with our bias its not really that hard to understand. Violence Cool. Sex Bad and private. Protect the kids!

Other countries like Germany and Australia, and Japan just to name a few also have their game hang-ups and cultural piccadillos.

Buccket

Neo Member
Stoney Mason said:
While I disagree with our bias its not really that hard to understand. Violence Cool. Sex Bad and private. Protect the kids!

Other countries like Germany and Australia, and Japan just to name a few also have their game hang-ups and cultural piccadillos.

Protect the kids, show them some people torturing each other instead of what should be one of the most normal things in the world, having sex. How is that not hard to understand?
The debate in Germany and Australia is mainly about extreme violance in videogames.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Stoney Mason said:

Yeah in Germany you cant even buy gears of war 2 iirc. And in Australia most of the games are gimped.

I'll take the american censorchip over some of the other countries any day.

I rather chainsaw some dude in gears of war and see the blood, than take a look at digital cocks.

Loxley

Buccket said:

It's because of America's Puritan background. Many of those old racist and sexist psychopath's ideals haven't been abandoned, even to this day. At least to the FCC, the human body is the single-most offensive thing in the universe.

Even if showing the guy's dick serves no real purpose, the fact that Rockstar did and got away with it is a good sign that video games are starting to be able to go where the film industry has been for decades.

I don't understand why people are whining about it, this is a huge step forward for the industry. I'm not saying I want penises in every game I play from now on, but it definitely shows that the industry is, in a round-about way, maturing. And being able to do things that have been deemed okay for other mediums.

It may be because I've taken too many life-drawing classes, but I see zero "shock" in the scene at all. I've seen so many penises/vaginas/naked breasts/hairy asses that I have become completely numbed to the idea that the human body could be offensive as long as it isn't gratuitous (and this is most certainly not gratuitous, the guy is just standing around letting his flag fly).

Darklord

Banned
ChrisGoldstein said:
Yeah in Germany you cant even buy gears of war 2 iirc. And in Australia most of the games are gimped.

I'll take the american censorchip over some of the other countries any day.

I rather chainsaw some dude in gears of war and see the blood, than take a look at digital cocks.

Actually, only a couple are. FEAR 2 and Fallout 3 were banned but then unbanned without edits. We got the unedited version of The Witcher when America didn't too.

Germany hates violence.
America hates nudity.
Australia hates drugs.

Loxley said:
Even if showing the guy's dick serves no real purpose, the fact that Rockstar did and got away with it is a good sign that video games are starting to be able to go where the film industry has been for decades.

Actually, Hollywood is incredibly stuffy about this shit too. Films used to be able to do a lot more when it came to sex scenes, near-nudity, etc.

Sure, girls can wear open shirts with their boobs hanging out, just like they can do on MTV, but many policies implemented during the late 70s/early 80s are in effect. AIDs was one reason, wars were the other. When it comes to violence you can do pretty much anything, so blame shitty movies like Saw and Hostel.

You can have one but you can't have the other.

Dabanton

voltron said:
Didnt really believe it. Just seemed like a weird 'joke'. Maybe I missed something further up.

It was a tongue in cheek response to this post.:D

MrTroubleMaker said:
Sorry, I didn't see this but, Is the PC version getting this at 05.00 AM EST too or is it going to be released later?

thanks!

Buccket said:
Protect the kids, show them some people torturing each other instead of what should be one of the most normal things in the world, having sex. How is that not hard to understand?
The debate in Germany and Australia is mainly about extreme violance in videogames.

I think forcing games to change the color of blood or making them get rid of certain symbols that actually existed in real life is equally silly but whatever. There are lots of cultural issues we Americans do pretty good with also when it comes to social freedoms. I think that's a more realistic way to look at it rather than omg America is crazy but whatever.

Loxley

I may have missed it, but have they said how you access the Lost & Damned content? Since there's no main menu of the game I figured it was either through the phone or through the start menu : /

lockload

Flunkie said:
So how long 'til it's up for the PS3?

About 12000 hours (6 months after dlc part 2 would be my guess so summer 2010...maybe)

Stoney Mason said:
What time does content go up for EST in America?

5am est according to the first page of this thread, can someone i n th eest timezone psot how many hours it is until then:lol

Buccket

Neo Member
Loxley said:
I may have missed it, but have they said how you access the Lost & Damned content? Since there's no main menu of the game I figured it was either through the phone or through the start menu : /

New Game -> The Lost and Damned.

DLC is available at 03:00 AM EST I think.

edit: From the official TLAD website:
"Starting February 17th, 2009 worldwide at 3:00 AM Eastern Standard Time, simply go to Xbox LIVE Marketplace with your connected Xbox 360 console and purchase the Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned download for 1600 Microsoft Points ($19.99). "

Loxley

Stoney Mason said:
What time does content go up for EST in America?

From the official site:

"Starting February 17th, 2009 worldwide at 3:00 AM Eastern Standard Time, simply go to Xbox LIVE Marketplace with your connected Xbox 360 console and purchase the Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned download for 1600 Microsoft Points ($19.99)."

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Ooh, I might have to wait up late tonight. I doubt I'll get to play it, but at least it will be downloaded and ready to go tomorrow.:)

MercuryLS

Banned
Flunkie said:
So how long 'til it's up for the PS3?

I bet that it hits PS3 the same time the second chapter hits X360, so probably late 09 or early 2010.

There's no way that this remains exclusive to X360 forever, they put a lot of time, effort and money into this DLC to lock it to one platform forever. Also remember that the $50mil that MS gave them was a LOAN that will be paid back in the form of DLC revenue and if the DLC doesn't sell enough to cover the $50Mil? Take2 owe MS the difference. It's no risk to MS and Take2 got a $50Mil advance. Given what we know, I highly doubt that MS get a lifetime exclusive out of this. 6 months tops IMO.

Captain Pants

MercuryLS said:
I bet that it hits PS3 the same time the second chapter hits X360, so probably late 09 or early 2010.

There's no way that this remains exclusive to X360 forever, they put a lot of time, effort and money into this DLC to lock it to one platform forever. Also remember that the $50mil that MS gave them was a LOAN that will be paid back in the form of DLC revenue and if the DLC doesn't sell enough to cover the $50Mil? Take2 owe MS the difference. It's no risk to MS and Take2 got a $50Mil advance. Given what we know, I highly doubt that MS get a lifetime exclusive out of this. 6 months tops IMO.

It's nice to have dreams.

Keikoku

Banned
MercuryLS said:

prayer.jpg

FrankT

No way they put down $50 large for a 6 month window. Year at the very least. Now that is not to say PS3 couldn't see it's own perhaps even. Something entirely separate maybe. That rumor has been around for quite some time as well iirc.

Captain Pants

ChrisGoldstein said:
Well Bioshock was exclusive to 360 and it came out on ps3 1 year later

Take Two game as well iirc

I guess I'd never say never, but I can't imagine MS went to all the trouble of securing this content to ever let it go multiplatform. I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 got some sort of DLC at some point, but I have a feeling that the two episodes that MS have financed aren't going to show up on the PS3.

MercuryLS

Banned
Keikoku said:

Hey I own a X360 Elite and I'm there day one, just giving hope to the PS3 fans.

Unless you mean that you're praying that I'm right about the DLC. If that's the case, I hope so too. Everyone should be able to play this.

Captain Pants said:
It's nice to have dreams.

I realize that I come off as a Sony fanboy in that post, but trust me, nothing could be farther from the truth. Just going off we know, PS3 and PC GTA fans shouldn't sweat it too much.

Buccket

Neo Member
Tranced Shadow said:
I thought BioShock PS3 was always going to happen, they just kept delaying it?

Ye they started developing for both platforms at the same time. It was timed exclusive because MS helped 2K with their marketingcampaign for the game.

MercuryLS

Banned
Jtyettis said:
No way they put down $50 large for a 6 month window. Year at the very least. Now that is not to say PS3 couldn't see it's own perhaps even. Something entirely separate maybe. That rumor has been around for quite some time as well iirc.

It's not like the bought the DLC with the $50Mil, it was an advance for an exclusivity window. I'm betting on 6 months, but who knows, you could be right and it could very well be 12 months. I'm betting on 6 though.

lockload

MercuryLS said:

Not a chance +6 months after 2nd dlc on 360, so summer 2010

Captain Pants

MercuryLS said:
I realize that I come off as a Sony fanboy in that post, but trust me, nothing could be farther from the truth. Just going off we know, PS3 and PC GTA fans shouldn't sweat it too much.

I was just giving you shit. I probably should have stuck a ":lol " in there somewhere. I hope PC and PS3 owners get this stuff, I just don't see it happening for the PS3.

Keikoku

Banned
MercuryLS said:
It's not like the bought the DLC with the $50Mil, it was an advance for an exclusivity window. I'm betting on 6 months, but who knows, you could be right and it could very well be 12 months. I'm betting on 6 though.

50$mil for 6 months. Really ?

MercuryLS

Banned
lockload said:
Not a chance +6 months after 2nd dlc on 360, so summer 2010

I thought that the second DLC is supposed to hit later this year? I was basing my 6 months estimate on that, if the second DLC hits early 2010 then that's when I expect L&D to hit PS3/PC.

Keikoku said:
50$mil for 6 months. Really ?

If the exclusivity window is for a year or more they shouldn't even bother IMO, who the hell will care then? GTAIV will already be 2 years old by then.

Costanza said:
wtf @ male nudity

Cocks (or cock) in the game is Rockstar's trojan horse. If they can get people to ignore/accept that, then the next step is naked women and sex.

Seeing a naked guy in the game is a big deal BUT not as big a deal if they had a naked woman walking around. In an industry known for it's exploiation of the feminine form, they went the other way.

This is foreplay. Rockstar is just lubing society up for the real business to get started.

Kudos to them for fucking with the heads of the mediocre majority.

lockload

MercuryLS said:
I thought that the second DLC is supposed to hit later this year? I was basing my 6 months estimate on that, if the second DLC hits early 2010 then that's when I expect L&D to hit PS3/PC.

Dont think so i think there is a 6 month window from the 2nd dlc being released

gdt

Can I just use my Credit Card as a one time thing?

Like without having XBL record it and stuff?

GAFfers are always complaining about XBL and CC's...

Top Bottom