• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
If / when you make a club, send some challenges for the club called NVR Alone. It's a new club with people more or less new to the game.

ps. I like "Steady on, love" nice americana ring to it (in my ears anyway)

Will do 😄

If you set up a BritGAF club, shoot me a message. I won't be playing much, but neither will you lot after the first week ;)

Will do!

I'm looking forward to getting home and playing a bit more. I messed around with the weather settings, you know, for a laugh and drove the fastest car I could in the worst weather possible. It did not go well.

Did it not stick with you then?

Wait, are you telling me that you can actually perform clean racing on these tracks offline and online...?!?

I find it virtualy impossible. I thought of actually responding with the "i dont believe you" gif! :D

During offline AI will just ram you one too many times. During Online I dont even have to explain myself.

If you can manage to perform clean racing offline, then hats off to you, but I think you belong in the incredibly incredibly small minority.

This is not a game that is set up for clean racing. It is actually set up as bumper car racing.

Also, the concept of 12 hyper cars racing in such narrow twisty roads (even if the width of the road reflects reality) is pretty nuts.

No I agree with le-Seb here, it is possible to have clean racing on and offline on these tracks (though admittedly rarer online). I felt the same as you in the early days but the better you get at the game the easier and cleaner you'll find the racing.

This, many people just enjoy the fast cars, those of us who know better can know just how much enjoyment can come from racing Hot Hatches and the slower cars ;)

I think it all depends on the track, you can take virtually every bend flat out on some tracks in the hot hatches which gets a bit dull but I do like them on the tight & twistys :)

valkyre

No I agree with le-Seb here, it is possible to have clean racing on and offline on these tracks (though admittedly rarer online). I felt the same as you in the early days but the better you get at the game the easier and cleaner you'll find the racing.

What can I say I honestly cant do clean racing in those tracks. The amount of times the AI comes ramming me from behind is too damn high. I seriously would love to see how you guys do it.

benzy

Yeah I hear what you're saying and made a good point, especially the cockpit views but I guess it depends moreso what cars you're using.

For instance...the last pic you quoted of the Zonda R in cockpit actually looks fine in terms of brightness because its quite dark and very cramped inside the car and visibilty is not great. Same as a Koeniggsegg or Lykan cockpit...so the camera compensates by increasing exposure to make the overall scene brighter.

Try the same in a GTA Spano, standard Ferrari 458 or even a Pagani Huayra and you'll see it gets slightly drab and dim looking in sunny conditions. It's also more apparent in general in the external views.

Imho, its not such a big deal but I think the exposure/brightness could be turned up slightly but not so much where it runs the risk of being overdone in cockpit mode as you said benzy

Yeah, wouldn't hurt to have a slider option to adjust the in-game settings.

I believe it was a huge mistake to make most tracks so narrow. It is the reason why this thing is a crash fest most of the time, be it online or offline.

I am pretty certain the narrow tracks werent originally designed for such racing as we see it now.

It just doesnt make sense to put 12 hyper cars in twisty roads that barely fit 2 of them side by side. These tracks are lovely to sport some time trials or drifting, but the head on racing is kinda shit really.

The narrow tracks are great, can't say I've had any crash fest when doing races on them offline. It's only a problem online because retards try to ram you into the wall to slow you down, but they'll do that in wide tracks too. IMO there's a lot more exhilaration and sense of danger from racing on the narrower tracks that I just find more enjoyable, just gotta wait for the private party option for online to get some better races.

zetjiw.gif

Narrow tracks are also pretty awesome in the world of profressional motorsport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMLbB1zv8yo

valkyre

That gif is great I admit, but how often does this happen instead of a crash? And this looks like it is just the start of a race were the player is kinda overpowered in relation to the opponents. Not in line with what we are talking here. If I can blast past the opponents 5 secs after the race starts , then sure I can have a clean race as well.

Also, I hope I am not misunderstood here. I am not saying that narrow tracks should be removed and that they dont have a place here. I could actually argue saying that they are my favorite tracks when it comes to time trials etc. Its the 12 car races that annoy me.

Perhaps if races were limited to 4 cars or even head on battles with another opponent, things would be better. As it is, I find it extremely difficult to have a clean race there. Especially with hyper cars. And the AI does ram you a lot. At least from my experience with the game so far.

That gif is great I admit, but how often does this happen instead of a crash? And this looks like it is just the start of a race were the player is kinda overpowered in relation to the opponents. Not in line with what we are talking here. If I can blast past the opponents 5 secs after the race starts , then sure I can have a clean race as well.

Also, I hope I am not misunderstood here. I am not saying that narrow tracks should be removed and that they dont have a place here. I could actually argue saying that they are my favorite tracks when it comes to time trials etc. Its the 12 car races that annoy me.

Perhaps if races were limited to 4 cars or even head on battles with another opponent, things would be better. As it is, I find it extremely difficult to have a clean race there. Especially with hyper cars. And the AI does ram you a lot. At least from my experience with the game so far.

It comes down to track knowledge - the AI will never purposely ram you so if you're getting rear ended then it's because your slowing down more or braking earlier than the AI expects or can adjust for. At hyper car speeds you don't need to be far out on your braking to make a crash unavoidable.

nib95

Banned

All you have to do is slow down and be more cautious to avoid collisions though, which many GAF'ers such as Vspectra do, and clearly show in their videos. Me personally, I'm far less friendly to the AI, and will show a blatant disregard for them in the game, taking advantage wherever I can. In any case, it's much more fun to me when there's a challenge, and I can't just zip to the head of the pack without some overtaking like the GIF above. I like to be able to have to use well thought out overtaking manoeuvres and race lines in order to work my way up. In online racers I'm completely different though, and act far more politely overall.

You can have less erratic and less collision filled races, it just means you'll have to be much more patient, have much slower lap times and a harder deal getting to first place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqpQwyx91Tg&feature=youtu.be

That's probably why people are loving the Japan tracks as well, more room for side by side racing without the need for taking each other out.
Not the case. I think one of the Japan tracks has four lanes in one section, certainly there were 4 cars abreast and STILL people were fighting it out grinding into each other. It just meant you had a four-way fight instead of a 2-way fight.

drotahorror

Does anyone else think the last 2 DLC tours (Elements and...can't remember, maybe Redline) are much tougher than the previous tours? Maybe it's because I've been playing other racers lately but these 2 tours are destroying me. Like, I'm struggling to place top 3 on most races.

Look I really think you all have pretty dam valid points in regards to how driveclub handles. However I am loving it, the game is best described as hyper aggresive at the higher tiers. And yes people will wax on about how pretty it is but as far as I am concenred it is a simcade racer and perhapes one of the finest ones in a long time. And this comes from a PS1, PS2. PS3 owner who bought these steering wheels, Logitech Wingman (PS2 mailny for codemaster games, Logitech G25 for PC and GT4, Logitech for PC and GT5 and GT6), and now I have bought the dam Thrustmaster TS500 for iRacing and driveclub. I still play a lot of Asseto Corsa and iRacing but I totally love the driveclub experience. I am not saying that they are in anyway similare and driveclub is way on the arcade side of physics. But is still rocks, and just like Daytona in the arcades I cant stay away.

Plus it is very prutty :)

danowat

Banned
Does anyone else think the last 2 DLC tours (Elements and...can't remember, maybe Redline) are much tougher than the previous tours? Maybe it's because I've been playing other racers lately but these 2 tours are destroying me. Like, I'm struggling to place top 3 on most races.

There are a handful of events in all the DLC tours that have significantly higher difficulty spikes than the default tours.

le-seb

Wait, are you telling me that you can actually perform clean racing on these tracks offline and online...?!?

I find it virtualy impossible. Hell I rarely overtake someone without having some kind of contact with him. If I go too conservative then I will come last. Clean but last. I thought of actually responding with the "i dont believe you" gif! :D
Like other said, it may be more complicated while playing online because of people banging into you intentionally or cutting your trajectory (to better crash into walls).

But this is one of my races, and as you can see, I barely rub other cars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m6bF_t6Vls

So, yes, it's definitively possible! ;)

drotahorror

There are a handful of events in all the DLC tours that have significantly higher difficulty spikes than the default tours.

True, I still didn't have that many issues with previous tours. Of course some of the time trials are hard as nails and I didn't 3 star them but other events were doable. The newest tours though, I dunno, I just suck ass I guess.

True, I still didn't have that many issues with previous tours. Of course some of the time trials are hard as nails and I didn't 3 star them but other events were doable. The newest tours though, I dunno, I just suck ass I guess.

I think Evo have said the difficulty in those tour packs was probably a bit high and the suggestion was that the star requirement required to progress should be lowered. It must be quite tricky to get the difficulty right in the additional events to cover the veterans who've been there from the start and the late starters.

Been in touch with Shopto (who I ordered my ps4 from) and they said they'll replace my controller. At least I don't have to deal with Sony customer services, but no Driveclub over the weekend :(

valkyre

Like other said, it may be more complicated while playing online because of people banging into you intentionally or cutting your trajectory (to better crash into walls).

But this is one of my races, and as you can see, I barely rub other cars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m6bF_t6Vls

So, yes, it's definitively possible! ;)

Mighty nice video, kudos! ;) (although you did have a few bumps :D)

I am still level 22. I will try and see if I can do better. But I really struggle to have clean races on narrow tracks. Thing is I have played quite my share of driving games and rarely had any problems with clean racing, hell I even had clean races in Watchdogs haha (j/k)!

Been in touch with Shopto (who I ordered my ps4 from) and they said they'll replace my controller. At least I don't have to deal with Sony customer services, but no Driveclub over the weekend :(

I'm sure you need a second controller though? For friends that come over.
Actually for Driveclub

valkyre

On another note, where is the Enzo Ferrari in game? Is it on a DLC pack or something? Downloaded latest patch with japan tracks.

drotahorror

I think Evo have said the difficulty in those tour packs was probably a bit high and the suggestion was that the star requirement required to progress should be lowered. It must be quite tricky to get the difficulty right in the additional events to cover the veterans who've been there from the start and the late starters.

Now I feel even more like garbage thanks haha. I preordered the game and the season pass. So I've definitely been there since the start. I usually just tune in to play the new DLC's each month and then promise myself I'll play more but never do.

On another note, where is the Enzo Ferrari in game? Is it on a DLC pack or something? Downloaded latest patch with japan tracks.

Pretty sure it comes with the new Tours and Cars next week.

Denur

But I really struggle to have clean races on narrow tracks.
I have only been doing time trials lately and haven't taken the chance yet to see how the AI behave since the update. I'll try and get a clean race on a narrow track. Do you have a particular track in mind, maybe from a race in the original Tour?

Auctopus

This is the only game I've ever played I think that still stuns me with its visuals 4 months after launch. Every now and then, I'm just like 'Damn.'

I can't wait see what this generation holds.

IKizzLE

After playing online multiplayer for about 40 hours and winning about 95% of my races, here is my assessment on the best cars in each class when mastered.

Hot Hatch: Golf GTI/Mini Cooper
Sport: Audi RS5
Performance: Ruf RGT-8
Super: Ariel Atom/GTA Spano /TwinRun(very track dependent)
Hyper: Zonda R/Hennessey Venom GT

If an online playlist comes up and any of the aforementioned cars are available and you want the best chance of winning, there you go. Willing to discuss how I came to these conclusions and why each of those individual cars are the best.

JP

I can't believe tense this is at times when you're running flat out over a bumpy road and every time and you're almost constantly on the verge of loosing control and even slight corners are terrifying!! This really can't be good for my heart.

I think the Alfa Romeo 4C has become my favourite car, I love that you can slide it around corners but it always feels like it's teasing you to just go just a touch fast or drift at a slightly higher speed but it bites you if you get it wrong.

Only got the final Legend Trophy to unlock now and I need 20 stars to unlock it. I'm level 37 and I don't see myself ever getting all 225 stars like others have on here, maybe I'll feel differently after I've finished the final championship and given it some time.

I really hope that Evolution include all the "extras" that they've added to it in the launch version of the sequel, it's fantastic that they've added weather and stuff but I'd much prefer it if it had been built into the main tour too,

I wish there was some sort of notification when you'd unlocked new vents rather than it just happening in the background. A mall complaint but it should really tell you things like that when it tells you about the cars and decals you've unlocked.

They really have to change the way you paint your cars in the next game as although there's lots of choice in this it's pretty useless and the best designs are average at best.and don;t really look like real racing liveries. You should also be able to add branding to the cars through advertising even if it's for made up companies Ridge Racer style.

patchday

Hello Driveclub gaf,

I've owned this game for quite awhile (but it was on backlog til now). Can anyone give me tips how I can play with GAF-Driveclub members? I think I already added a bunch of folks to my friends list

Is there a driveclub I can join?

I live in Texas. Is there a Texas driveclub?

After playing online multiplayer for about 40 hours and winning about 95% of my races, here is my assessment on the best cars in each class when mastered.

Hot Hatch: Golf GTI/Mini Cooper
Sport: Audi RS5
Performance: Ruf RGT-8
Super: Ariel Atom/GTA Spano /TwinRun(very track dependent)
Hyper: Zonda R/Hennessey Venom GT

If an online playlist comes up and any of the aforementioned cars are available and you want the best chance of winning, there you go. Willing to discuss how I came to these conclusions and why each of those individual cars are the best.

You on tonight bud? I should be on from around 8.30pm and fancy a crack on knocking that win percentage down a bit ;-)

IKizzLE

You on tonight bud? I should be on from around 8.30pm and fancy a crack on knocking that win percentage down a bit ;-)
I'm on every night between 6-9 Pst, which is like 2-5am your time. The weekend is the only time I'm on evening your time. Work is a major cock block lol.

Putty

I hope they can get the framerate steady at 30 in replay mode. A number of times I get slowdown when moving around the cars/s in the wet.

Rushy

If you could choose what class of cars you like to see added to DRIVECLUB in the future what would you prefer? Or if you're not interested in new cars, which class is your favourite to drive generally currently?

• Hot-Hatch
  • Sports
  • Performance
  • Super
  • Hyper

To be clear I'm not asking for a manufacturer or specific model - we've seen all the feedback already and we know which specific cars are the most desired ;)

JP

V1.10 said:
  • Adds the ability to choose from a collection of factory Paint Jobs during vehicle selection prior to an Event.
I don't seem to be getting this option when, it just has the same colour that has always been there. IS this working for anybody else?

If you could choose what class of cars you like to see added to DRIVECLUB in the future what would you prefer? Or if you're not interested in new cars, which class is your favourite to drive generally currently?

• Hot-Hatch
  • Sports
  • Performance
  • Super
  • Hyper

To be clear I'm not asking for a manufacturer or specific model - we've seen all the feedback already and we know which specific cars are the most desired ;)

More performance/super please.

I can't handle the hyper cars :(

I don't seem to be getting this option when, it just has the same colour that has always been there. IS this working for anybody else?

It was a mistake, that feature was supposed to be in but didn't make it. It's coming in the next update.

• Performance
  • Super
  • Hyper

Those 3 :)

This was a mistake in the patch notes, it's gonna be in the next update.

I'm on every night between 6-9 Pst, which is like 2-5am your time. The weekend is the only time I'm on evening your time. Work is a major cock block lol.

Righto bud, I know you don't do challenges but we have 4 guys in the top 30 of the Evo lake Shoji challenge, be cool to make that 5... ;-)

As of posting Maki is 2nd and Vaga is 7th, both over 2.5 seconds faster than me - they make me feel slow :-(

IKizzLE

• Hot-Hatch
  • Sports
  • Performance
  • Super
  • Hyper

Super and Hyper. Definitely the most exhilarating classes.

Putty

• Hot-Hatch
  • Sports
  • Performance
  • Super
  • Hyper

Any of the above, in reverse order 8)

Denur

• Hot-Hatch
  • Sports
  • Performance
  • Super
  • Hyper

As a new class I'd like to see rally cars.

From the current classes I prefer:
  • Hot-Hatch
  • Sports
  • Performance

DJ Gunner

• Hot-Hatch
  • Sports
  • Performance
  • Super
  • Hyper

Super, without question. Gobs of speed but they don't overpower the tracks.

IKizzLE

Righto bud, I know you don't do challenges but we have 4 guys in the top 30 of the Evo lake Shoji challenge, be cool to make that 5... ;-)

As of posting Maki is 2nd and Vaga is 7th, both over 2.5 seconds faster than me - they make me feel slow :-(

Hmmm, I might check it out when I get back today.

FireSol

Hot-Hatch
Sports
Performance

Top Bottom