• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Drac

Loving the challenges, there's not many games that get me playing before work, but I'm finding myself launching this just to check if anybody has beaten my times.

Although I do wish my Kuso Club's paint job wasn't shit smears lol.

Don't you dare look down on our proud symbol !
I'm sorry for this juvenile humor, it was probably far too late for me to make sound decisions for a club name and theme when I created it, I should have slept on it. May you grow found of it as I have :).

On a side note I couldn't participate on some of the challenge because of my low level (no access to car). This won't be a problem in the near future as I play more and seeing how much time I can spend on ONE challenge, it may be better that I don't have access to everything ^^.

JP

How do I completely "race infrastructure"? It says in the update history that I can remove things like flags and stands but I can't find the option anywhere.

Ted

Is there any way to filter best times on a track/event by car? I feel like that would be cool to see especially when you haven't unlocked some cars that seem to be getting the best times.

I've only just recently started playing myself but I *think* when you set a time in a single event time-trial, the leader board ranking you see as soon as you exit the session (where you get your points and all that) is just for that car on that track but then when you click through to see the full leader boards they are just for the track (maybe class and track?).

I'm not sure but that's how it seemed to work to me.

Just bought the game last night on a whim, didn't get to play too much since a bunch of the tracks were still downloading, but so far I am enjoying the look and feel of the game.

Is there any way to filter best times on a track/event by car? I feel like that would be cool to see especially when you haven't unlocked some cars that seem to be getting the best times.

The table you see on when you pause the game is for your current settings (car, track & weather). If you click it then it will show the global leaderboard for all cars but you can filter it at the top for the car you want to see.

How do I completely "race infrastructure"? It says in the update history that I can remove things like flags and stands but I can't find the option anywhere.

There's an options screen on the event creation menu that allows you to turn off these things - there were only 2 options in there.

I believe if you set crowd to "none" that also removes the flags and trackside crowd stuff.

nib95

Banned
Did a lot better in some of the Drift challenges today. Think I figured out what it was that was keeping off the top position pace. Must say though, Vivek is a beast at drifting.

Number45

Has anyone heard of the likelihood that the game will offer the option to force the wheel rotation? I have the T300RS and it seems like it resets back to 1080 (I usually have it on 270) *constantly*. Like, even if I restart a race. :/

:)

Just did Takahagi Hills in an online time trial. i think this is my new favourite of the new tracks. Made a challenge to see how much my time will be destroyed. Be my guest.

I think the only other real problem with Driveclub is that bright sunny conditions are.....not very bright.

Not to discredit any of Evolution's amazing work but it's like pretty much every other condition such as rain, overcast, cloudy, sunsets etc look incredible but when you set the time to 1pm in Chile for example, it should be quite bright....not fairly dull and drab. Btw, I'm well aware that sunny conditions irl never look amazingly interesting or anything but at least it's bright.

Maybe Evo could at least give us the option to change the exposure or brightness & contrast settings in game?
Is it just me that feels like this?

Just got the number 1 Venom Drift Score among all my friends. 260-something in the world. That felt good! Especially knowing I didn't do the whole "backtrack and drift just a bit more to boost my score" tactic. :D

Man, that drift event in the electric car in the Photo Finish DLC was a tough one. That was until I realised the trick to it was to get the right balance between maximizing the angle of the drift, and keeping my speed high enough so I could link them together. Cool event, I enjoyed that one.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry if this is obvious, but I just got the game and for some reason the image does not fill the entire screen on my TV. Like it's outputting a slightly smaller resolution than 1080p. I didn't see any screen size adjustment options in the options menu. Any ideas?

Sorry if this is obvious, but I just got the game and for some reason the image does not fill the entire screen on my TV. Like it's outputting a slightly smaller resolution than 1080p. I didn't see any screen size adjustment options in the options menu. Any ideas?

You have to go in and set the screen size in your PS4 menu, I believe. For whatever reason it may not be set correctly even though other games look fine.

Man, that drift event in the electric car in the Photo Finish DLC was a tough one. That was until I realised the trick to it was to get the right balance between maximizing the angle of the drift, and keeping my speed high enough so I could link them together. Cool event, I enjoyed that one.

Yup. That gave me fits for about 5 days straight. Finally the other day I really started tracking my entry speed and watching my angles. So good when you finally nail it!

Shaneus

Just got the number 1 Venom Drift Score among all my friends. 260-something in the world. That felt good! Especially knowing I didn't do the whole "backtrack and drift just a bit more to boost my score" tactic. :D
You can't really do that anymore, either. I was doing a random drift event and anything more than a U-turn results in getting reset to track. It's definitely fixed to the point where I no longer have to get pissed off or worried each drift challenge I enter :)

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Hi DC GAF!

I took the plunge.

PSN is sploatee. How do I go about joining the GAF club? If I'm crap does it ruin the club for everyone else...?

Hi DC GAF!

I took the plunge.

PSN is sploatee. How do I go about joining the GAF club? If I'm crap does it ruin the club for everyone else...?

Clubs are limited to 6 members, ask around on here and you might be able to find one to join. Or start your own and add people, I see new DC owners every day or two in here so you should be able to find some recruits.

Ok finally tried the Mp time attack battles and it's actually very good. It's a very nice way to enjoy a track with people while learning it. ( especially with voice chat )

This should be intresting when private lobbies will be in.

Shaneus

Hi DC GAF!

I took the plunge.

Damn, I'd totally invite you if my club wasn't full already! You should have no problems finding one to join, hopefully one that will be levelled-up enough to unlock some cars for you.

lordxar

Slight whine/bitch how come this game needs that set anyway? Sucks ass going between DC and FF14 because one setting effects the other negatively. I either get black bars or toolbars hanging off the screen. Its only these two games. Annoying at best but its still fucking annoying...:)

You can't really do that anymore, either. I was doing a random drift event and anything more than a U-turn results in getting reset to track. It's definitely fixed to the point where I no longer have to get pissed off or worried each drift challenge I enter :)

Thing is, though, those early scores remain. They really need to wipe scores pre-patch, imo. Let you keep the stars for the event or whatever, but you shouldn't be top score on the leaderboard.

Slight whine/bitch how come this game needs that set anyway? Sucks ass going between DC and FF14 because one setting effects the other negatively. I either get black bars or toolbars hanging off the screen. Its only these two games. Annoying at best but its still fucking annoying...:)
Sounds like FF14 is the one in the wrong.

Basically TVs have overscan, though any TV purchases in recent years that isn't an unknown make is going to have a setting to disable this, which means the content is pushed outside of the bounds of the visible screen.

So last gen games used to ask you every time to set the limits of your TV. Now the PS4 OS asks you, so games can use that setting rather than having to ask you over and over for every game.

Most games will resize the HUD only, leaving the game cut off, but DRIVECLUB resizes the entire thing and leaves you with black bars.

But, you won't see those black bars because they're outside the bounds of your visible screen - providing you set the setting correctly.

Therefore, if you have set the setting correctly and FF14 content is not visible FF14 is not adhering to the setting, or it might have a setting in the game itself that it listens to.

Shaneus

Can't remember the brand, got them from ozgameshop for a song when I bought MGSV Ground Zeroes.

Anyway, they're just generic ones that slip over the top. You get two domed ones with lots of little dots on them to prevent slipping (I put one on the right stick) and two concaved ones (I use one for the left stick).
Oh yeah, I have those... my thumbs still slip :/

I thought you meant things like these.

Basically TVs have overscan, though any TV purchases in recent years that isn't an unknown make is going to have a setting to disable this, which means the content is pushed outside of the bounds of the visible screen.

So last gen games used to ask you every time to set the limits of your TV. Now the PS4 OS asks you, so games can use that setting rather than having to ask you over and over for every game.

Most games will resize the HUD only, leaving the game cut off, but DRIVECLUB resizes the entire thing and leaves you with black bars.

But, you won't see those black bars because they're outside the bounds of your visible screen - providing you set the setting correctly.

Therefore, if you have set the setting correctly and FF14 content is not visible FF14 is not adhering to the setting, or it might have a setting in the game itself that it listens to.

Yeah I'm not sure why this happens.

Both DC and FF14 fill my screen fine without me ever having to make any adjustments to my screen.

lordxar

DC is the problem game for me. I've played quite a few games since launch and its the only game I have to expand the screen for. FF gets zoomed in for lack of a better term and I think KZ does too so I go back to settings and return the setting to default. Really what's most likely at fault is my cheap, shitty TV. Need a nice new one...right?

Edited for a small bit of clarity

le-seb

Slight whine/bitch how come this game needs that set anyway?
It's a change that came in a recent SDK update and that is intended to remove the need for developers to manage the screen's geometry by themselves in their games.
The ones built using older SDKs won't take advantage of this, though, hence possibly messing up their display area.

However, older games should offer the option to correct the screen geometry.
If they don't and the display area is fucked up, it means that your TV set has the overscan setting enabled.
Disable it (it's useless unless you're still watching shitty TV broadcasts), and you should be safe playing any game.

Is that the Yedipalli one? Yeah that one was all about keeping your speed through every section, tough but rewarding :)

lordxar

It's a change that came in a recent SDK update and that is intended to remove the need for developers to manage the screen's geometry by themselves in their games.
The ones built using older SDKs won't take advantage of this, though, hence possibly messing up their display area.

However, older games should offer the option to correct the screen geometry.
If they don't and the display area is fucked up, it means that your TV set has the overscan setting enabled.
Disable it (it's useless unless you're still watching shitty TV broadcasts), and you should be safe playing any game.

Thought this would help but it was already off. Turned it on and it helped a tad but its better to just be off and manually change things. So back to square one. Its annoying but liveable.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Clubs are limited to 6 members, ask around on here and you might be able to find one to join. Or start your own and add people, I see new DC owners every day or two in here so you should be able to find some recruits.

Damn, I'd totally invite you if my club wasn't full already! You should have no problems finding one to join, hopefully one that will be levelled-up enough to unlock some cars for you.

Thanks guys. I'll look into it tomorrow. Just raced a few of the initial tracks and downloaded some of the DLC - bought a few packs too to support the devs (I got the game pre-owned). Really good first impression - it was hard to stop playing - even if it did take me a few tries to realise that the cars don't handle quite like Mario Kart.

NinjaBoiX

Sploatee, I'll join your club, as long as you don't mind having a part-time member!

(also, let's hang out this weekend mate, I'll pop round Saturday or Sunday and we can play some Mario Kart! I can finally get infamous back too, haha.)

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I have about 17 Stars in Elements and 1 Star left in a previous Career thingy. It's a fucking hard one too, reach 121kph in that shitty electric car on some windy roads in India. I tried for about 30mins last night before I rage quit as I constantly reach about 119kph. THat 1 Star is preventing me from 100% of that DLC.

Finally got that single star. That was probably the most difficult individual star I have had to aquire.

Now onto the Elements trophies.

Shaneus

Finally got that single star. That was probably the most difficult individual star I have had to aquire.

Now onto the Elements trophies.
Huh, I never had a problem with that one. At least, I know I got all stars in that one and I'm now about a third of the way through Elements. Hoping to clear it by the time the new ones unlock.

mreddie

Goddammit Marussia you goddamn piece of crap, drift correctly you piece of crap...
tumblr_lm81aihZ1C1qdq5u6.gif

benzy

I think the only other real problem with Driveclub is that bright sunny conditions are.....not very bright.

Not to discredit any of Evolution's amazing work but it's like pretty much every other condition such as rain, overcast, cloudy, sunsets etc look incredible but when you set the time to 1pm in Chile for example, it should be quite bright....not fairly dull and drab. Btw, I'm well aware that sunny conditions irl never look amazingly interesting or anything but at least it's bright.

Maybe Evo could at least give us the option to change the exposure or brightness & contrast settings in game?
Is it just me that feels like this?

The brightness looks pretty good to me, but I wouldn't mind having some in-game exposure/contrast video settings. I think what you're seeing in Chile is pretty much how it is in the real part of Chile that Evo used as a template, it's a pretty drab looking environment.

xibwzr.png

If they made the brightness setting stronger I feel the cockpit view would be way too overdone in brightness considering how bright it already gets when you're in the shadows under the trees. Highly depends on the track and a specific area within it though.

Awesome. Love your GIF's and comparisons. Surpised you haven't posted some shots of Japanese blossom trees and greenery etc close up yet.

They're comin'. :p

My R2 button just broke while playing. It started to stick halfway, had a look and it seems one of the cheap little plastic hinges is broken. Fucking cheap piece of shit. My only pad too.

My R2 button just broke while playing. It started to stick halfway, had a look and it seems one of the cheap little plastic hinges is broken. Fucking cheap piece of shit. My only pad too.

You can buy replacements and it's a pretty easy fix. Last time I looked (couple months ago) you could only get them from China (2-5 weeks shipping) and they were kinda expensive, but now I see Amazon has them, $11 and change for 5 pairs, free 2-day shipping with Prime. I just placed an order. I have four DS4s with broken R2s.

Top Bottom