• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Hardline Open Beta Discussion Thread

Anyone know if the game uses Physically Based Rendering (PBR)?

You shouldn't be expecting PBR in most games yet. It's going to remain a rarity for a little longer and maybe won't even be the norm until next gen depending on what devs decide to prioritize since it's a hell of a challenge to squeeze in, being so power hungry.

damn already? are you on PC or console?

pc. the guns are wildly imbalanced, movement is even jankier than bf4. netcode is really bad. graphics worse than bf4, framerate worse. that dust bowl map is horrendously awful. its basically just a flat square of terrain with buildings plopped on it. the amt of battlepick ups is stupid.

Pjsprojects

Not for me thanks.

Tried all three, PS4,X1 and maxed PC. Game chuggs a bit on PS4 and it looks worse than BF4 on all formats.
As mentioned above it feels more like a average dlc pack.

Not for me thanks.

Tried all three, PS4,X1 and maxed PC. Game chuggs a bit on PS4 and it looks worse than BF4 on all formats.
As mentioned above it feels more like a average dlc pack.

I played for 4-5 hours last night on ps4, experienced no NOTICEABLE frame rate drop. Was super impressed compared to bf4 and the e3 hardline beta last year.

Pjsprojects

I played for 4-5 hours last night on ps4, experienced no NOTICEABLE frame rate drop. Was super impressed compared to the bf4 and the e3 beta last year.

I got a stutter when jumping a car over a fence into some players and again when crashing a chopper into a building.

this post sums up exactly how i feel about it

"Over the last few months this game has become worse in every possible way. Every aspect of this feels poor, clunky and unrefined in the sort of way that isn't a "don't worry they'll fix it on release affair". I'm not joking about the every aspect, it just feels bad in the way that you know means it always will be.
The vehicles are driving around at silly speeds in a tiny block-sized maps with downright absurd handling; they feel ****ty to drive and look ****ty when you see them driving around.
The weapons; a complete hit and miss of either being utterly OP or having terrible recoil for no rhyme or reason ... there is absolutely nothing resembling an overall weapon balance in this game, they all feel individually tuned in a vacuum and completely disjointed from one another in how you would expect one class of weapon to perform like compared to another.
I played mainly Hot-Wire this morning. Um. Maybe it's because of the way the vehicles feel like above, but it feels like a massive cluster **** of random crap occurring without much direction. It's not very fun. You can pull the "But people don't know how to play it yet!" card, but most people don't know how to play conquest after over a decade, so that's always going to be the case. It's just the same problem you get in the likes of BF4. Horrible, horrible spawn system leading to a cluster **** game that isn't much fun to play.
The theme doesn't make the slightest lick of sense. Cops and robbers; ok. Only Cops have some extreme, zero-tolerance shoot to kill policy from apparently before they know a crime has been committed and robbers aren't so much robbers as a paramilitary organization? why exactly isn't the actual military being called in for this? because a paramilitary organization with air support is beyond the wheel house of your average police force. If you're going for a theme, go with the theme, don't try and make it something it isn't.
Then onto why helicopters are apparently mandatory on these tiny maps? It's a Battlefield game that doesn't want to be seen as a battlefield game even though it still includes basically everything you find in a battlefield game, but just whatever you do don't call it a battlefield game because it's not, or something?
This game is poorly imagined, poorly executed and downright schizophrenic in it's delivery of a war that isn't a war because apparently a car is being boosted as the cause for the hundreds of deaths about to occur, so it's just a police matter.
Then for me performance personally is down since the last beta and now I stutter every few seconds. Perhaps they will fix that, perhaps they won't. But as one of those unlucky many that pre-ordered Battlefield 4 to have a **** sandwich served cold to me I'm just not willing to even give this the chance in that regard. DICE, Sweden or LA, burnt that bridge over a year ago and my willingness to hang around for them to fix their broken games no longer exists."

i personally dont care about the police theme, but all of the rest rings true to me.

Just finished trying this out on PS4,

Game's IQ seems higher than BF4, much cleaner image, less muddy. Framerate seems incredibly smooth, not a single drop, even on high action moments. Loadings were faster than BF4 as well. Graphics however, even though they look "nice", they are nothing special. Gameplay wise I thought it was very similar to Payday 2 for some reason (maybe was just the setting), it plays very similar to BF4, with some minor changes, action seems way faster, and you can see bullet drop, also similar to Counter-Strike, if you're moving, bullets fly all over the place.

Somehow I still get a "cheap" feeling about this one, IMO its not worth full price, i'd say the game feels like a F2P game, or a 15€ game, something along those lines. Eitherway, if you asked me whats wrong with it, I wouldnt know how to answer.

PS. I jut played Heist mode.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
People worrying about the graphics need to remember they toned it down last "beta" to cut download size down. I'm pretty sure the same thing is happening here unless Visceral has gone on record with "LOL NO. THESE ARE FINAL."

People worrying about the graphics need to remember they toned it down last "beta" to cut download size down. I'm pretty sure the same thing is happening here unless Visceral has gone on record with "LOL NO. THESE ARE FINAL."

they have said this is final

Just finished trying this out on PS4,

Game's IQ seems higher than BF4, much cleaner image, less muddy. Framerate seems incredibly smooth, not a single drop, even on high action moments. Loadings were faster than BF4 as well. Graphics however, even though they look "nice", they are nothing special. Gameplay wise I thought it was very similar to Payday 2 for some reason (maybe was just the setting), it plays very similar to BF4, with some minor changes, action seems way faster, and you can see bullet drop, also similar to Counter-Strike, if you're moving, bullets fly all over the place.

Somehow I still get a "cheap" feeling about this one, IMO its not worth full price, i'd say the game feels like a F2P game, or a 15€ game, something along those lines. Eitherway, if you asked me whats wrong with it, I wouldnt know how to answer.

PS. I jut played Heist mode.

At least your honest on that lol

they have said this is final

source?

GavinUK86

Anyone on PC getting random freezing, forcing you to ctrl+alt+delete to close it and restart? Third crash in a hour for me.

Yeah, It was between this game, or re-buy BF4 along with all of it's map packs. I think I'm going to go with the latter. There's no way I'm paying full price for this. This looks and feels like a quick, cheap, BF4 add-on.

A couple of random screenshots from the PS4 version (USB capture):

16409879556_b6bb0f8e75_o.jpg

16249944687_dfca5c4ac5_o.jpg

Tubie

This is after a 6 month delay. Imagine what it would've looked/played like if this came out in November lol.

Afro

The vehicles are driving around at silly speeds in a tiny block-sized maps with downright absurd handling; they feel ****ty to drive and look ****ty when you see them driving around.

The vehicle physics/handling have been dreadful since forever (jeeps, bikes, etc). They desperately need to be completely reworked for BF5.

Yeah, It was between this game, or re-buy BF4 along with all of it's map packs. I think I'm going to go with the latter. There's no way I'm paying full price for this. This looks and feels like a quick, cheap, BF4 add-on.

Ugh... it looks like a PS3 game.

Edit: Thanks man for showing that. Wanted to download it but i got here and saw that. Now im not downloading it. Saving the Traffic for something else then.

BF4 was ok for a launch title but there are no improvements in terms of AF or AA. Looks awful for a recent release.

I was going to say that Frostbite is just destined to never look good on consoles, but that doesn't explain Dragon Age: Inquisition, which was also multiplatform.

I don't know what it is about BF games. I figured they'd make some strides further into this gen's cycle, but it doesn't look much better than BF4, if at all.

Ugh... it looks like a PS3 game.

Let's not go nuts. PS3 Frostbite games look like dogshit.

so no finalized visuals for beta, pretty close though. Thanks

I was going to say that Frostbite is just destined to never look good on consoles, but that doesn't explain Dragon Age: Inquisition, which was also multiplatform.

I don't know what it is about BF games. I figured they'd make some strides further into this gen's cycle, but it doesn't look much better than BF4, if at all.

Let's not go nuts. PS3 Frostbite games look like dogshit.

I'll be happy when they stop focusing on 360/ps3 releases

This comes with a rock solid frame rate and none of that annoying blur. I prefer this to bf4 visually/performance wise

What? There are dips galore in this game. Unless you're talking about the 32 player mode, which is much more stable, but still not locked 60fps.

(On PS4 I might add)

Finally got to play it.

It plays smooth and I don't have much to complain about visuals wise.

I think my biggest complaint is just the general design of the menus. A complete clusterfuck, I have no idea what I'm looking at or where to find things.

What? There are dips galore in this game. Unless you're talking about the 32 player mode, which is much more stable, but still not locked 60fps.

(On PS4 I might add)

I played with like 40 people in conquest last night, I didn't notice drops like I did on e3 beta and bf4 ps4. 32 player heist was solid too, I was really surprised. Told my buddy that I would not buy it on ps4 unless it was a smoother experience and to my surprise they got it pretty smooth. This was after 4-5 hours of play

thats one way to interpret it lol
fOfrnhS.png

cackhyena

I only played a few rounds last night, but the frame rate was super solid. Would need to play more to compare to BF4 overall.

Still going to try this when it goes live in the US, but all the impressions here pretty much confirm what Ive been saying all along.....this was an expansion that EA decided to milk into another full release. I would have totally been on board with this game if it was a $15-$20 expansion pack like BF:V for BC2 but a full release for what seems like amounts to a few new maps and vehicles? Meh.

Rizific

do the graphical settings actually work in the game? because if they do, color me impressed. getting pretty great performance, everything on ultra/no aa 70-80 fps 2500k+7950. only played for 5 mins to get a feel for performance, will put in some more time after work.

cackhyena

Still going to try this when it goes live in the US, but all the impressions here pretty much confirm what Ive been saying all along.....this was an expansion that EA decided to milk into another full release. I would have totally been on board with this game if it was a $15-$20 expansion pack like BF:V for BC2 but a full release for what seems like amounts to a few new maps and vehicles? Meh.
? The maps on offer aren't all that there will be for the full game.

Top Bottom