• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield: Hardline has gone gold

blazeuk

Struggling to create an account doesn't like UK address it seems

Couldn't get it to work either, same with adding money to the PSN account with a credit card, tried my UK address and then another Czech address and neither allow me to add any money to the account. Any other options to getting prepaid codes?

Lime

I still feel that this game is totally tasteless and disrespectful based on last year and the larger focus and uproar against US police forces and militarization.

Slixshot

Banned
I still feel that this game is totally tasteless and disrespectful based on last year and the larger focus and uproar against US police forces and militarization.

Then don't buy it -- Do you think they were fuckin' planning or hoping for all the real life shit to happen? Do you think they would actually pull development of a game that costs millions to make because of it, likely resulting in the loss of quite a few jobs? It's a video game and it doesnt appear to take itself too seriously, so it's not trying to push an agenda or anything. A year or two before and this wouldn't even have been an issue. Wrong place wrong time, but they need to make back what they put in.

legacyzero

Banned
We cant just stop the world from turning because real shit happened.

Lots of people dying in our military with our various operations overseas, and I dont see anyone complaining about that shit.

Calling this insensitive is just reaching.

Did you complain about Call of Duty or Medal of Honor and the patriotic glorification of the army when those came out?

hao chi

I only just got a PS4 and BF4 a couple weeks ago, and everybody I know that plays BF isn't planning on getting Hardline, so I'll be skipping this for now at least.

Theorry

I only just got a PS4 and BF4 a couple weeks ago, and everybody I know that plays BF isn't planning on getting Hardline, so I'll be skipping this for now at least.

If you just got BF4 offcourse. :)
I played 600 hours of BF4. Bit tired of it now. So need something else. Luckily the Hardline beta really surprised me in a good way. What i wasnt expecting. Always nice when something like that happens. :)

Lime

We cant just stop the world from turning because real shit happened.

Lots of people dying in our military with our various operations overseas, and I dont see anyone complaining about that shit.

Calling this insensitive is just reaching.

It's not about stopping, it's about owning up to the fact that you're making an entertainment product that is obviously related to and enacts militarization of police and questions of justified police killings. It takes the trappings a military engagement mechanics ("shoot baddies") and apply them to a force whose role is astonishingly different (they're supposed to protect citizens and uphold peace).

If EA and Visceral wanted to be just a tad little bit decent, if they didn't scale back on their militaristic cops and robbers shooter and still decide to go through with it, they should donate to organizations and institutions that are working on civil rights and fixing issues related to police and the justice system in the US.

Did you complain about Call of Duty or Medal of Honor and the patriotic glorification of the army when those came out?

Yes I did and still do. What does that have anything to do with it? Or are you just making a tu quoque argument?

I'm just not really seeing the link between Ferguson and this game. For one thing I don't think you kill any unarmed civilians. Hardline seems more like a modern day video game equivalent of cops and robbers. Also unlike military shooters you can (at least sometimes) convince bad guys to surrender and arrest them rather than killing them.

Milennia

well, im pretty much in on this game after much thought.

its more battlefield, which i could use right about now, at least until battlefront if that ends up being this year for sure.

It's not about stopping, it's about owning up to the fact that you're making an entertainment product that is obviously related to and enacts militarization of police and questions of justified police killings. It takes the trappings a military engagement mechanics ("shoot baddies") and apply them to a force whose role is astonishingly different (they're supposed to protect citizens and uphold peace).

If EA and Visceral wanted to be just a tad little bit decent, if they didn't scale back on their militaristic cops and robbers shooter and still decide to go through with it, they should donate to organizations and institutions that are working on civil rights and fixing issues related to police and the justice system in the US.

Yes I did and still do. What does that have anything to do with it? Or are you just making a tu quoque argument?

At the end of the day, its just a game and the rest of the world doesn't really care about whats happening in your own backyard. Sure, police brutality etc etc is a hot topic in America right now (and of-course, is bad), but what can I do about it? Sweet FA is the answer; therefore I shouldn't have my entertainment diluted from its original vision just because you don't like it.

Lime, you might be interested in what Jeff Gerstmann had to say about Battlefield Hardline and police militarisation (taken from The Taller The Jar, The Sweeter The Questions 02/22/2015):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF3Vf_B6LeU

"How much it will affect the sales or people's opinion of the game, I don't think it will that much. That's maybe sad, in a way that more people aren't worried about that sort of thing. I don't know. There are plenty of people that are not necessarily thinking about the real world ramifications of like, our relationship with police, society with police, and all that sort of stuff and how that's gone so so awry in so many different situations for a really long time.

There's been a recent spotlight put on that stuff in a very major way with Ferguson happening last year and the other things that have happened around that like relatively recently. We're talking about decades and decades of stuff. All that stuff has been happening for so long, why would people get offended now? Is it because it's presented to them at a platter like, 'here's actual video of this happening, this is United States btw where you thought these sorts of things wouldn't happen' where you look at it and it looks like Beirut. No, it's Missouri. Fuck. What the fuck is going on out there.

But our relationship with police and police in the media, movies, TV, and all that sort of stuff. You know, think about it. Decades and decades and decades of the police presented as the badass cop that worked outside the lines to get the job done. He's hard on the criminals because the courts aren't. The Cobras of the world, the Dirty Harrys. This is something that is engrained into our culture. It's bigger than Battlefield Hardline you know, presenting the police that way. You can agree or disagree if you think that's a problem or not. It's hard to say.

Does the media we consume make an impact back into the real world or are we really able to look at it and go 'that's a fantasy, it's a good thing there are laws to keep the criminals off the streets and keep the criminals safe from the police. Cause Marion Cobretti blasting people all day long for parking wrong!' It's a very complicated problem that goes back to decades and decades of movies and television. Our nation's relationship with guns and racial relations in America too.

It touches so many different things in so many different ways that you can't really pin all of that on Battlefield Hardline.

If anything, Battlefield Hardline is just a symptom of our collective fascination with badass cops. I say 'our' but I'm sure there are plenty of people who are very much NOT fascinated by that sort of stuff. So, yeah I don't think it will make a huge impact on Battlefield Hardline. There will be some people that will be very outraged by certain sequences in the game. I say that as someone who hasn't seen any part of the singleplayer campaign, I'm just kind of guessing that there will be some things where people will go like 'That's fucked up!'. Well, yeah.

I know there are people at EA that are very worried or concerned with how this thing will come out. Definitely people have been like 'yeesh I don't know about this one'. They'll obviously going to go ahead with the release at this point and put it out I guess in March. I bet they've already probably been over with a fine-tooth comb like 'alright there's going to be some stuff in here that, change the race of this person, do this, do that'. My solution. I was on the phone with someone at EA and I said 'well, you want to solve your problem, just turn everyone green and then when the campaign starts just say Mars, present day. Present it as some disgusting sci-fi fantasy'. Problem solved! Cause who cares what the space police do!

It's a weird situation because it touches many different things and you know I go back and forth on the different aspects of it. Because you know, I've enjoyed plenty of things that are badass cops cleaning up the fucking streets, doing all kinds of fucked up shit, not reading the miranda rights. So it's yeah, weird. It's a very engrained archetype that the cop is almost a criminal, you have to be a criminal to catch a criminal. Like all that sort of stuff is a very resonant popular trope. So it's hard to pin all that on Battlefield Hardline. It's just a dumb cop-focused shooter probably, and the multiplayer looks like Battlefield so we'll see how it goes. But I don't think it will be a huge impact on their business.

If anything, if there are people that call attention to it and protest it, that'll just serve to raise its profile like this game that would normally just come and go cause it's an off-shoot of Battlefield. If you already care about Battlefield, here's more multiplayer. It'll quietly sell a couple of million of copies and kind of go away. But if people make a big stink about it, it'll just make it sell more copies. One way or the other, is that good or is that bad?

I believe that for you to decide."

Lime

I'm just not really seeing the link between Ferguson and this game. For one thing I don't think you kill any unarmed civilians. Hardline seems more like a modern day video game equivalent of cops and robbers. Also unlike military shooters you can (at least sometimes) convince bad guys to surrender and arrest them rather than killing them.

The eloquent Mr Williams got me covered on my position about this game and the link between Hardline and US police atrocities: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/big-words-and-such-about-battlefield-hardline-and-ferguson

Edit: judging from above, I understand people feel different and that's totally fine. I think Williams' article echoes my sentiments regarding this game so I'll just leave it at that and say that EA should do something with supporting the help towards rectifying injustices between US police and citizens.

Haxxona

Banned
I don't really get the issue here, isnt it the same exact thing about every other military shooter out there where the US is the angel and Russia/North Korea/Middle East and what not are the demons.
Its a freaking game that is basically a glorified cops and robbers that we all played as little kids but in a digital form.
Besides its not like the robbers in Hardline is peaceful or anything like that.
People get offended to easily by everything these days.
Anyways going to stop this before someone is offended

Tahnit

Banned
I have a sinking feeling this game isn't going to do so well. The climate for this game to come out is not in its best interest. BF4 left a lot of people with bad tastes in their mouths for anything battlefield, myself included. I used to be a huge battlefield fan with bf2, 2142, bad company ect. BF3 was great but buggy. BF4 was simply broken plain and simple. Sure they have fixed it now a year from release but fool me once ect ect ect.

I think battlefield needs to take a break. Yearly releases are proving to be too much. I really think this may end up being a dud when its released.

I agree.

It's in their right to make the game obviously, but I won't say it sits well with me. It's another piece of media that glorifies police militarization and desensitizes us to that kind of thing in our real lives just a little bit more.

jediyoshi

It's no less tasteless than any game that touches on terrorism or military warfare. Hell, considering you're only citing back one year, this was in production far beyond that. It's like people complaining about LOTR The Two Towers' film name after 9/11 happened.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I don't really get the issue here, isnt it the same exact thing about every other military shooter out there where the US is the angel and Russia/North Korea/Middle East and what not are the demons.
Its a freaking game that is basically a glorified cops and robbers that we all played as little kids but in a digital form.
Besides its not like the robbers in Hardline is peaceful or anything like that.
People get offended to easily by everything these days.
Anyways going to stop this before someone is offended
I'll stop it for you instead. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

In theory, yes. But PayPal is not available, so you need a credit card. The problem: Most people's credit cards are being declined.

Yeah, found that out :D I have it pre-ordered and didn't receive any kind of error message, but I still need a way to add funds to the account without a CC.

legacyzero

Banned

I mean, I could understand your point if the game depicted Militaristic police going against crooks armed with rocks, soda bottles, and Molotovs. But the criminals in Hardline are depicted as very much a threat, with advanced automatic weapons, and the like.

Is it not appropriate to distinguish between the two scenarios? Is it wrong to say that a Military police may be necessary in the type of situation that the game depicts? Movies do this sort of thing all the time. There are plenty. Movies like Heat. The Town. etc. There's so many.

The events of Ferguson certainly were extreme, and didn't help matters there at all. But it's almost as if you're suggesting that EA should apologize for Hardline for something you're accusing it of, that I'm not convinced that they have.

I only respond this way because I usually dont jump into these kind of debates, so this is more-so for my education than anything else.

gossi

This isn't a game where you're shooting random black kids and trying to stop protests. You're stopping bank robbers and crack drug lords with rocket launchers. Or being a drug lord and shooting cops.

To pre-order or not to pre-order? That is the question. I think the wise thing to do is wait for impressions and see if there's any lag issues, although the beta seemed to work pretty flawlessly for me and felt much smoother than bf4 ever did.

Storm360

For people getting their cards declined, try add funds through the PS4 console

Website wouldn't take my card, console would though

I mean, I could understand your point if the game depicted Militaristic police going against crooks armed with rocks, soda bottles, and Molotovs. But the criminals in Hardline are depicted as very much a threat, with advanced automatic weapons, and the like.

Is it not appropriate to distinguish between the two scenarios? Is it wrong to say that a Military police may be necessary in the type of situation that the game depicts? Movies do this sort of thing all the time. There are plenty. Movies like Heat. The Town. etc. There's so many.

The events of Ferguson certainly were extreme, and didn't help matters there at all. But it's almost as if you're suggesting that EA should apologize for Hardline for something you're accusing it of, that I'm not convinced that they have.

I only respond this way because I usually dont jump into these kind of debates, so this is more-so for my education than anything else.

It's more of an issue of the national conversation and major civil issues going on in this country.

The issue is that what police consider a "threat" these days is the common citizen. You might see military-style equipment in the hands of police as farcical -- but it's actually happening. Cops in the US have military vehicles, including tanks (or MRAPs). They have military weaponry and body armor. And they resort to using them incredibly quickly. SWAT attacks are up massively.

It's not just about Ferguson. A civilian is killed by cops about every 8 hours in this country. My concern is that games like Hardline serve to further desensitize people to police militarization, and furthermore, to feed in to the narrative that police need these kinds of weapons to "protect" people.

You even suggest that "military police might be necessary in a situation" like the one you described. No -- what would be needed in that case is an actual military presence, not a police one. The police shouldn't be in the business of escalating encounters to cause more death and more destruction.

Everyone wants to say, "it's just a game, you're taking it too seriously," blah blah blah. Again, I'm not saying they can't make the game. I'm just saying that if I were in that position, I wouldn't. You think it's ridiculous enough that it's fine. I think real life is so ridiculous on this matter that this still hits too close to home.

rpmboy

Wait, hold on, what am I looking at here? What's going on here?

I don't really know where to post this and since I'm a junior, I can't make a thread, so I'm dropping it here.

For everyone interested, someone fucked up and Battlefield Hardline Ultimate Edition (PS4) is now 129.99kč on the Czech PSN Store. That's like 6 dollars. I have absolutely no experience with buying stuff this way, but I know that these sorts of mistakes sometimes appear here.

18105_428382000669805_5158350746060300981_n.jpg

Don't know how long until they fix it, but as always, it's better to grab it quickly. Making a Czech PSN account takes like two minutes after all.

I am not going to pre-order this.. I might go in on premium.

I do like this game. It's different than normal Battlefield. It's seems more fun. Not so serious and I like that.

As long as they fix some of the hit mechanics and some other things.. This game could really awesome.

I love my Battlefield games

Top Bottom