• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PC |OT| Benny Hill Sped Up Fake Gamey Edition

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
About 33 hours in and I can't help but feel R* has not done well on the radio stations. Talk radio is fine but it doesn't come through in all of Los Santos. When I preview them it sounds like a lot of hip hop and abstract noise.

I usually stick with FlyLo or Rebel Radio just because I know what i'm getting, i've heard some of the songs and like them, and its closer to music I enjoy.

About 33 hours in and I can't help but feel R* has not done well on the radio stations. Talk radio is fine but it doesn't come through in all of Los Santos. When I preview them it sounds like a lot of hip hop and abstract noise.

I usually stick with FlyLo or Rebel Radio just because I know what i'm getting, i've heard some of the songs and like them, and its closer to music I enjoy.

It sounds like you just don't like the music. They've done MORE than well on the radio. There isn't a game out with a radio with more choice or selection.

Ted

Heists are made stupidily difficult by how easy it is to die. It's a joke. Armour is pointless.

Don't forget you can consume snacks (from the inventory > snacks option in the interaction menu) whilst in cover or a vehicle with no animation for a quick health top-up. You can do the same with body armour as well anywhere once you are a high enough level to carry 10 at a time.

Also, most of the heists and heist set-ups with a fire fight involved go down much more easily with a crew who communicates. Enemy spawns are pretty predictable and most of the fights seem designed so that often approaching from at least two different positions in tandem can help significantly reduce the threat. For example, in the very first heist on the one of the set-ups when
you are stealing the Velum from the Vagos at McKenzie Field
, if you all go in
from the hangar side entrance it's going to be a pain but if one or two approach from behind the small building at the road side of the run-way about half way down (just past the Vagos set-up behind a Cavalcade) it makes it a whole lot easier. From this spot the gunner can take out a lot of the gang members who would otherwise catch the main party in a cross fire as well as catching most, if not all, of the Vagos who approach through the fire fight in vehicles across the dirt road to the north

I chose this one as it is a very early mission but the same basic theory of team work conquers all is true for most of the them right through to the final heist.

Good luck getting them done, they're great fun done with the right crew.

Axial

I forgot how much of a timesink GTA games are, 30 hours in and haven't started the first heist yet... so much to explore, so much to see!
Also, I've never noticed that the yacht 'Dignity' from the "Daddy's little girl" mission has the exact same design as the yacht from Max Payne 3.

Ark

Don't forget you can consume snacks (from the inventory > snacks option in the interaction menu) whilst in cover or a vehicle with no animation for a quick health top-up. You can do the same with body armour as well anywhere once you are a high enough level to carry 10 at a time.

Also, most of the heists and heist set-ups with a fire fight involved go down much more easily with a crew who communicates. Enemy spawns are pretty predictable and most of the fights seem designed so that often approaching from at least two different positions in tandem can help significantly reduce the threat. For example, in the very first heist on the one of the set-ups when
you are stealing the Velum from the Vagos at McKenzie Field
, if you all go in
from the hangar side entrance it's going to be a pain but if one or two approach from behind the small building at the road side of the run-way about half way down (just past the Vagos set-up behind a Cavalcade) it makes it a whole lot easier. From this spot the gunner can take out a lot of the gang members who would otherwise catch the main party in a cross fire as well as catching most, if not all, of the Vagos who approach through the fire fight in vehicles across the dirt road to the north

I chose this one as it is a very early mission but the same basic theory of team work conquers all is true for most of the them right through to the final heist.

Good luck getting them done, they're great fun done with the right crew.

Yeah teamwork definitely helps, but if you make one mistake you die and then everyone has to restart the heist.

samn

Some of the missions are insanely fun, but others just completely suck. Like (2nd heist setup spoiler)
stealing the sub, you have to drive it so slowly such a long way
and in the online heists they always start with driving 5 miles just to get to another car that you have to get in and drive another 3 miles in, in the opposite direction.... One online heist setup mission was literally just driving and listening to a character talk.

A handy tidbit, but I always seem to die in an instant from a few well placed shots. No time to eat snacks much less dive through a menu to get to them.

I actually bothered to do the triathlon this time around, multiple times as well as I was curious how the different player stats handled things. My first few times with Franklin (both triathlon 1 & 2) were interesting. Won both but always start sluggish in the swim leg.

I thought I would try the first triathlon with Trevor - I used the same method of tapping the button and yet Trevor was able to overtake and remain 1st for the later part of the swim leg (I figure this is due to having a higher value in the strength category compared to Franklin). However I have only won a handful of races as Trevor as what usually happens is by the end of the triathlon I get pipped at the post (this is with stamina left over too by the way haha).

I have zipped around doing random things, shooting someone then evading the wanted level by the police. Driven a taxi around to earn some extra money and explore the game area (amusingly despite the population variation being maxed out, it's usually the same character model getting in the taxi).

I have done more of the airfield missions (with the buggy car and plane) for Trevor than I actually did on the 360 version ages ago (that I can remember anyway, I don't recall doing those missions on the 360).

ducksauce

Got "Participate In One on One Deathmatch" as a daily objective today. Can't get anyone to accept. I can hardly get anyone to kill me even after flat out asking.

The daily objectives are a good feature but they're screwing it up by adding objectives like this. Hey Rockstar, if no one is using a feature maybe thats because it sucks so don't make it a daily.

oneils

So, uh I fixed my gta v launcher issues.

It was always crashing and I was never able to start the game.

I read an off-hand comment by another user on the Rockstar Support community website. He mentioned that social club is finicky about the location of your "my documents" folder.

I have "my documents" set to another partition other than the system partition or the default position.

I restored my documents folder to its original location in C:users\username\my documents (or something like that), restarted the computer, verified my game cache in steam and started the game.

The game worked.

Can't believe this. I really hope it was something else that fixed the game. Rockstar support itself was kind of useless. I wonder if anyone actually reads the documentation that they ask you to provide (dxdiag and msinfo)?

Perfectly explaining why it is so massively popular imho. Nowadays it's all about immersion and actual gameplay comes second to many.
I hope i'm reading this wrong and it isn't some passive aggressive comment about how GTAV has shitty game play. V has the best missions, combat, driving, and other misc stuff than any GTA so far, I actually can't think of anything they didn't improve on. Also regarding the bolded specifically: this is obviously not true, I suppose you've never seen any The Order: 1886 discussions.

Anyways, played the first 2 heists last night,
the rendezvous
in heist 2
on the runway on the actual Heist
, never seen so much shit going down.
With an AI ally you have to protect, 4 human players and a stupid amount of cops
I am seriously surprised that we nailed it perfectly, I can imagine so many things going wrong at that point that I think a lot of it was down to luck and good timing.
I was the pilot, that intense feeling of adrenaline when it's now all riding on you
, Rockstar got this so right. I can't wait for the next one, I think it's the Hydra one.

inky

I'm definitely more negative than positive. I honestly think some of Rockstar's game design decisions are massively detrimental to fun open world play, and despite their acclaim have been bested time and time again in terms of inventive, tightly designed, downright fun open world GTA-like games purely in play. But yeah, for me it's a "museum game" too. It's like the ultimate real time tech demo: a simulated world with outstanding detail and presentation. Something as simple as hiking up a mountain or speeding through the city in the rain is deeply immersing. I just don't give a fuck about the "game" part of it.

I get what you mean. To me a few small things are what bother me the most, like how getting armor feels like busy work, or how there's no variety to things like robbing armored cars, so it becomes pointless to do them.
Or how 90% of the time there are no helicopters at the med center/police building. I just want to fly around! That really pisses me off.
Things that would be fixed by throwing you a few, random GTA flavored curveballs during the "by the numbers" activities.

Still, I fucking love this game and most of the time the immersion factor is enough for me as I imagine it is for everyone else.

Jams775

Wasn't there turn by turn voice GPS in the PS3 version of GTA V? Is it missing in the PC version or am I just crazy? I could have sworn certain cars would have that in them and would tell you when you turn for waypoints.

Megasoum

Banned
How does the stock market exploit work again exactly? I remember doing it on PS4 but I can't remember the details exactly and I'm about to go do the first life invader mission.

anyone wanna fuck around and do some missions/earn money in GTA Online?

my rockstar id is poponarrival.

I'm fine with just messing around in the open world, too.

Ok GAF I'm at a loss. I pre-ordered the game on green man gaming and have spent my entire weekend trying to get this POS to install.

1. I activated and downloaded the installer from https://socialclub.rockstargames.com/activate
  2. I ran the installer as administrator
  3. The installer installs DirectX, Visual C++, and Social Club
  4. The splash screen shows for a split second
  5. The launcher downloads the 60 gigs
  6. I launch GTA V from the start menu, my desktop, from GTAVLauncher.exe and PlayGTAV.exe from my install directory and nothing happens.

No error messages. Nothing in the launcher.log. WTF is going on. Is this a known bug? I checked my bootstrap.log and it has this error in it:

Code:
[2015-04-19 08:24:42.510] [ ERROR ] Unable to get file version info size for C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V\GTA5.exe
[2015-04-19 08:24:42.510] [ ERROR ] Last error: 2 : The system cannot find the file specified.

Is that the cause? I've tried reinstalling and re-downloading the 60 gigs 7 times now (goodbye 420GB of data T_T) and it just refuses to work. It feels like I've thrown $60 down the drain and it sucks. HELP ME GAF.

System specs:
- i5 4760k
- 8GB ram
- Win7 SP1 (64 bit - all updates installed)
- GTX 770 with 350.12 drivers isntalled

How does the stock market exploit work again exactly? I remember doing it on PS4 but I can't remember the details exactly and I'm about to go do the first life invader mission.

I was just thinking about this, last played it on the 360 and was wondering if that's still a thing.

Also sucks that I can't get the Steam overlay to work, I've gotten used to my controller screenshot shortcut. :(

They patched that bug out pretty quickly on console. They're always on top of money-making glitches.
I doubt they made the same mistake of leaving it in the PC version, but it would be nice if they did!

devonodev

My favorite addition to the PC release of this game is the Self radio, it's so good not just having to listen to the same songs on the few stations I don't mind.
Is there a way that I can delete/ignore the other radiostations in a config file? I always want my 'self radio' active.
But yes this is annoying. They should have an option for default station in every car. Even if it ruins the immersion. :/

Ted

Yeah teamwork definitely helps, but if you make one mistake you die and then everyone has to restart the heist.

Yeah but the checkpoints are mostly fair although they could do with one after the fire fight in the
steal the bikes
set-up mission from the final heist and a few other spots.

We did them on hard, free aim with a controller and most of the frustrations we had as a crew were with other issues than the killing sections. That's not to say we didn't have to repeat a few of them a good number of times until we spotted the best or slickest route but they didn't feel unfair or unbalanced apart from in a few spots.

Also keep in mind your max health and max body armour capacity increase as you level up so doing them at level 20 is going to be more challenging than at level 120.

Good luck Ark!

A handy tidbit, but I always seem to die in an instant from a few well placed shots. No time to eat snacks much less dive through a menu to get to them.

There's usually a few good spots to find cover for the few seconds it takes to bring it up and navigate to the right place but I've definitely had that scrambling for a menu, shit I'm dead, feeling many times!

You can also pre-load the menu if you want but it mean you can't access your weapon wheel so ensure you have a general purpose gun equipped before you do (you can change weapons in a vehicle however with the interaction menu loaded, at least you can on a controller, not sure of the keyboard mappings).

You can also map your player action when on foot to be "eat snack" so this means you can top up health (but with the animation) with a single combined button press (on a controller). I find this less useful as it forces you to walking speed and plays a needlessly lengthy "look at me eating my chocolate bar" animation which can be a real rhythm killer but I could see where it might come in handy.

It's also worth noting blind firing from cover (if you're that way inclined) is insanely effective in GTAV so if all else fails, go full on turtle mode.

Good luck Nappuccino!

You only really need to worry about the stock market during the
Lester
given
assassination
missions that you do as Franklin and you'll have more money than you know what to do with (single player).

Only one of these needs to be done to advance the story, the very first. In this you are sent to a
hotel to kill a guy from a pharma-corp
that rivals
Betta Pharmaceuticals
so invest in them with all characters before beginning the first
Lester
mission.

The rest can be saved until the end of the game whe you have the most money to invest.

You only really need to worry about the stock market during the
Lester
given
assassination
missions that you do as Franklin and you'll have more money than you know what to do with (single player).

Only one of these needs to be done to advance the story, the very first. In this you are sent to a
hotel to kill a guy from a pharma-corp
that rivals
Betta Pharmaceuticals
so invest in them with all characters before beginning the first
Lester
mission.

The rest can be saved until the end of the game whe you have the most money to invest.

That's not the one I think he or she means. It's the one after the LifeInvader mission where you can rack up a couple of billions in about 10 min by buying/reselling stock.

Just triple dipped on this yesterday. So fucking good. Getting ready to pre-order a Virtuix Omni and Oculus/Vive or whatever is needed for strolls along Los Santos. I'm not even joking. I want my virtual walking simulator/museum game. Saw that YT video of Virtuix earlier, man I can't wait to chill out for a walk along Vespucci Beach after a long day's work (no beach close to me IRL haha)

The Lab radio station is also really good. Ordered the Vinyl, hopefully delivered to me at the end of the month.

With no new Rockstar game this May (like Max Payne 3, Red Dead and LA Noire before), this will have to do. ;)

Ted

That's not the one I think he or she means. It's the one after the LifeInvader mission where you can rack up a couple of billions in about 10 min by buying/reselling stock.

Ah, I've seen so many people refer to the rigging of the market via those missions as an exploit I wasn't sure. Oh well, hopefully it is useful for someone!

That sell all glitch was patched out so quickly on PS4/XB1 it barely registered to me, not sure if it exists on the PC version but I doubt it.

Aaron D.

First-time GTA5'er here who just got to Trevor's introduction.

I seriously feel sick to my stomach. Damn.

Great game/port otherwise.

Ullus

I've been trying to decide what muscle car to use, and I think I've found the one. Really fun to drive and looks nice.

PMJXlMiU3UGeNNq2UKiDmA_0_0.jpg

Had a great time messing around with a friend this morning on GTA Online.

What's the name of the PC GAF crew?

We should probably add this to the OP. I'm a member of Bay GAF from the 360 days, but don't think that's it.

Thanks.

dex3108

Man i really wish that there is hide HUD (Radar) button. Whenever i want to make SS i need to pause game, go to settings, disable radar, take SS, go to settings, enable radar.

Foffy

Banned
Heists are made stupidily difficult by how easy it is to die. It's a joke. Armour is pointless.

That's not Heists. That's all of GTA Online. It's the hardest GTA experience since the original games.

The fact you can be one shotted by shotguns at full health and armor is kind crazy when you think about it. Couple that with the fact that on PC, there's a good userbase that's starting for the first time: can someone at Rank 12 really optimize these fights, when even in loading screens they tell you to store body armor, which is unlocked at later ranks? That's not even considering the good armor isn't unlocked until Rank 25...the same issue can be said with how soon Survival is unlocked for the player, too.

I did the Prison Heist set at Rank 30, and I still had trouble myself. Beyond the occasional person leaving of lower level guy dying, of course. I've actually had a Rank 1 try to join my game, and it was the main Heist.

D-do we PM you to join? I sent a request earlier, and it's still pending. Foffykins would be my Social Club name. :3c

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If they release a "remastered" edition of RDR it would be strange to ignore PC. But then, it's Rockstar...

I don't see Take-Two being receptive to the idea that the game should remain console-exclusive. I mean, sure, Take-Two doesn't like to disturb its golden goose (very few publisher-owned studios could get away with something like Max Payne 3 -- announced in 2009 but ultimately releasing two-and-a-half years later than originally planned), however, at the end of the day, it is the one paying the bills, PC gamers have been vocal about their desire for a port since, well, E3 2009, and GTA5's almost insultingly late PC port surpassed Skyrim as the most popular non-Valve game in Steam's history (in terms of concurrent player numbers) -- which is all the more impressive when you consider that the only store selling the Steam version is Steam itself.

At the end of the day, though, this is all just speculation and I don't mean to imply that my enduring optimism is the only logical conclusion.

If anyone wants to add me on their Social Club friends list, I'm MrFrankFontaine.

I'll probably be on late tonight 10pm eastern. Also, looking forward to playing with the PCGF crew once my request is accepted.

I'm a level 10 right now, do you still have to wait until 12 until you can do Heists?

Is it just me, or are randoms in this game really, really bad at this game? I have yet to complete a heist or heist setup with ANYONE because people keep dying. I'm only level 44. If you are at least level 25 then you should have a pretty fucking good idea of what to do by now.

/rant

friday

Anyone having issues getting in online games with others? I updated my route settings to the recommend settings, but nothing seems to be working. I am reinstalling the game now, seems like the big fix to a variety of issues.

BashNasty

So I remember reading that there were some small changes to the world in the PC version. Things like the Playboy mansion counterpart now having an actual grotto rather than just a pool. Any truth to this, or were people just making things up?

Foffy

Banned
Is it just me, or are randoms in this game really, really bad at this game? I have yet to complete a heist or heist setup with ANYONE because people keep dying. I'm only level 44. If you are at least level 25 then you should have a pretty fucking good idea of what to do by now.

/rant

Players range from super good to super bad, with little middle ground. :p

/rant

People keep leaving before I can even get halfway through the heist. I wish there were bots because none of my friends have GTA on PC.

Top Bottom