• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimquisition (June 22nd, 2015) - Shenmue 3: The Good, The Bad, And The Iffy

*Splinter

I think some fans have just gone crazy and are scared that even a tiny bit of criticism or concern would damage the kickstarter.
"some fans"
I'm not a fan of Shenmue (don't think I've ever heard of it before e3) but that doesn't stop me forming an opinion and - God forbid- criticise a Jim Sterling video about it.

But my only complaint was outdated information, and that's been addressed anyway.

Steroyd

What the Shenmue Defense Force *won't* like is the fact that the fresh edit allowed me to rail on Suzuki's "actually guys, we reeeeally need ten million" development. It's not like I am unfair or linger on it too much, but I'm glad I got to add it. .

Jim stahp before you do it, take into consideration that he said 2 million to finish the story, 5 million to put in what he wants, and 10 million to make it open world.

Episode should be available soon. Please understand.

My god, he's been hacked by Square Enix executives, RUN FOR THE HILLS!!

Tuffty

Shenmue fans, myself included, are being over protective because any criticism of the project could potentially lead to people backing out of the project or dissuade people who might have been on the fence. So far the criticism around the project is that Sony is doing the majority of the funding, which has been proven incorrect. But misinformation spreads and this then has the potential to harm the potential amount the Kickstarter can raise, something detrimental to the final product considering that Yu Suzuki claims that $5m would deliver something closer to the game that Shenmue fans want. However that's no excuse to act shitty if someone is a little critical of the project.

I hope that the reuploaded video doesn't paint the community in a bad light based on a few shitty ones. I didn't find anything too inflammatory about the video other than some outdated assumptions, which Jim knows about. Like Jim says, he's happy it's being made.

This is how I browse NeoGAF at any time of day, to be fair.

Do you still wear the gloves at least?

Shenmue fans, myself included, are being over protective because any criticism of the project could potentially lead to people backing out of the project or dissuade people who might have been on the fence.

That's still a terrible excuse for people to try and prevent criticism from happening. If anything, it will make the criticism worse. People backing out based on points raised are the kinds of people making informed decisions about where to put their money, and there's not much you can really do about that.

jholmes

Came in to see Jim Sterling's take and how the people complaining that you're not allowed to express any concern about the situation would take it. There's no video.

Like, does Jim Sterling not do research before making a video or does he just have no confidence in what he releases? All y'all always saying he's good and every journalist out there is bad but even Polygon doesn't retract its articles like this.

antitrop

Did he really say that though? He was just describing the funding level that would enable his dream game. Not that they need that much. At least that's what it read like to me.
Some fans will settle for nothing less than the dream game, though. So, for them, $10 million is the only number that really matters.

Came in to see Jim Sterling's take and how the people complaining that you're not allowed to express any concern about the situation would take it. There's no video.

Like, does Jim Sterling not do research before making a video or does he just have no confidence in what he releases? All y'all always saying he's good and every journalist out there is bad but even Polygon doesn't retract its articles like this.

Full context (read backwards):

capturadetela2015-06-lypyj.png

He retracted it because information is changing, that's pretty good.

Steroyd

Think of it like a directors cut, Jim's original video is pretty much in line with what I would have said 5 days ago.

Adam Blue

More information came out after he made the video.

It happens.

There was some outdated information when he posted the video so he's revising it I think (unlike some dude at a major website).

I think people seriously looked too much into the announcement at e3 as Adam Boyes clearly stated, "this is their project" and then people from both sides jumped to conclusions (myself included).

This video has likely been done for a few days. The fact that he has retracted his video to talk about new things isn't a bad thing lol

No, they they do update, as Jim is updating his video. If he could shoot the whole thing in 5 minutes and upload it then the issue of developments happening during shooting would be a non issue. Jim is excellent at what he does, but Shenmue is a touchy subject so you get things like some knacker spamming him because even mild criticism is too crushing to handle.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Jim stahp before you do it, take into consideration that he said 2 million to finish the story, 5 million to put in what he wants, and 10 million to make it open world.

In the context of Shenmue though, what is open world? Would you consider the first Shenmue game to be open world because you could go around town as much as you liked? Does it imply a large explorable area or simply that levels are not presented to you linearly?

Because if that means a Shenmue 1 amount of open world, I would have hoped for that in the basic game.

hohoXD123

Wait, you'd rather they put up outdated information for the sake of appearing confident? Polygon not retracting/revising some of their articles isn't a good thing.

jholmes

Shenmue is a touchy subject so you get things like some knacker spamming him because even mild criticism is too crushing to handle.

No argument there, people all over GAF are in hysterics if you pay the Kickstarter so much as a sideways glance. Thing is they're easy enough to ignore.

Wait, you'd rather they put up outdated information for the sake of appearing confident?

Didn't this video just go up an hour ago?

Tuffty

That's still a terrible excuse for people to try and prevent criticism from happening. If anything, it will make the criticism worse. People backing out based on points raised are the kinds of people making informed decisions about where to put their money, and there's not much you can really do about that.

It is bad if the assumptions and news articles made by certain major sites are inaccurate. Sony isn't providing the majority of the funding and potentially people may see this and decide to pull out. Fans are (for right or wrong) just trying to hammer home the fact that this is a kickstarter project just like any other and just want it to succeed or fail on it's own merits, not because some journalists didn't do their research or information came out too late which makes previous articles outdated or wrong.

MrHoot

The 2-5-10 million thing is actually more interesting, AND what could be really irksome.

I understand that Suzuki needs that sum and gladly back the shenmue 3 KS but it is to wonder what we'll even be getting with a 5 million dollar shenmue game. Will it even be shenmue 3 ? Won't the fans and other people react extremely negatively if it turns out just to be a "light" shenmue game with only half of the past games content, or less ?

Anfang

No, they they do update, as Jim is updating his video. If he could shoot the whole thing in 5 minutes and upload it then the issue of developments happening during shooting would be a non issue. Jim is excellent at what he does, but Shenmue is a touchy subject so you get things like some knacker spamming him because even mild criticism is too crushing to handle.

Didnt the developments with the story come the day after it was announced at the conference?

batfax

I think some fans are just overly sensitive about anything they feel may be "threatening" the wish they've waited 14 years to fulfill. I ain't gonna lie, I really want to see this kickstarter do amazing, but I think it's perfectly fair for everyone who's backing to be fully aware of the situation and not just the good bits.

Kinyou

I would love for every company to be transparent about their business dealings so that we don't have to speculate and argue with each other on forums, but I don't think that's ever going to change.

Would it be great for fans if Microsoft or Sony just came out and announced how much they paid for Tomb Raider or SFV and release the full details of those contracts? Of course. Are they ever going to be "that" transparent? Highly unlikely.

True, it's a bit of a pipedream, but considering how much crowdfunding depends on trusting the creators I'd say transparency is more crucial than in those other examples. (But to be fair, by now they imo are also more transparent than MS on Tomb Raider for example)

In the context of Shenmue though, what is open world? Would you consider the first Shenmue game to be open world because you could go around town as much as you liked? Does it imply a large explorable area or simply that levels are not presented to you linearly?

Because if that means a Shenmue 1 amount of open world, I would have hoped for that in the basic game.
That's what I wonder as well. That you can run around a city and explore stuff is probably what everyone expects from a new shenmue

Burt

Full context (read backwards):

capturadetela2015-06-lypyj.png

I had someone refer to it as 'limping' in conversation with me somewhere deep back in the KS thread. That happening is indicative of one of the biggest problems when you get a campaign like this: backers that are new to Kickstarter and don't understand the process or trajectory of the projects. Can't decide if I'd prefer the entertainment of Jim going nuclear on those people or the feel-gooditude of him trying to explain things to them, assuming they make up a large part of the defense force he's talking about.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Hopefully it'll get about 5 million. In 2016 we'll see HD ports of the games that'll help add more funding to the game. Hopefully someone gets in touch with Blue Point or something. I would really like to play the series to see what it's all about.

Yeah, if open world means Shenmue 1 levels of 'openness', it's needed.

Spaghetti

The 2-5-10 million thing is actually more interesting, AND what could be really irksome.

I understand that Suzuki needs that sum and gladly back the shenmue 3 KS but it is to wonder what we'll even be getting with a 5 million dollar shenmue game. Will it even be shenmue 3 ? Won't the fans and other people react extremely negatively if it turns out just to be a "light" shenmue game with only half of the past games content, or less ?
i think that was clarified when suzuki said he wanted a game on the scale of the original shenmue

shenmue II may have been broader in scope and size, but it was a lot less detailed as a result.

i think he wants a dense world that is packed with content, and to go back fully to unique NPCs.

Broank

What the Shenmue Defense Force *won't* like is the fact that the fresh edit allowed me to rail on Suzuki's "actually guys, we reeeeally need ten million" development. It's not like I am unfair or linger on it too much, but I'm glad I got to add it.

Eh that was pretty innocuous answering a fan question about what game elements could be done at different amounts, 10 million for open world features etc. etc. Hope you won't put it into too negative a light. :(

PORTOPIA

Neo Member
No argument there, people all over GAF are in hysterics if you pay the Kickstarter so much as a sideways glance. Thing is they're easy enough to ignore.

Didn't this video just go up an hour ago?

Thing is - these people have waited 14 years and been denied for years. Then when they can almost taste it - the media craps all over them with inaccurate articles which were certainly not helped by the lack of information provided from Yu Suzuki and Sony while this all unfolded.

I watched the original video Jim made and it was a fair assessment of what happened - but I think at this point some people are just fed up now and it doesn't help that the kickstarter began to fall just as these articles came out, although according to many this is actually a normal drop for a kickstarter campaign.

V_Arnold

I have not had the chance to the video, as it had been made private.

THAT being said, I am one of the passionate defenders of this Kickstarter project.
I would not attack if someone thinks it is "shady", but I would definitely argue that it is really NOT shady at all.

I mean...
List all the dream projects that could be made this way. List all the horrible precedent this could make.
1) Can anyone else beside Yu Suzuki just announce a Shenmu Kickstarter to rob us from our money? Nope.
2) Can anyone find 10+ year old dream projects where the creator wants to continue, but lacks the funding to do so? Good for them,and good for fans that want to see those projects.

You cant just make up dream projects on a whim after this. You cant say "well, here is my shady idea, I will have a secret deal with, say, Microsoft, and announce Lost in the Wilderness FOUR: REVENGE OF THE SHADERS", and the money will flow.

Will you have teary eyed fans at the first notes of music being played? You wont. Will you have your money? No you wont.

There is no precedent to be had here. And, according to what we were told by Yu Suzuki, he would not be able to disclose the sums in question even if he wanted to. The most we will get is "the majority of the funding will be by the Kickstarter". Which is fair enough, in my book.

macewank

There is nothing good that comes from this in the long term. On the surface, it looks all fine and dandy, though. I mean, we're getting Shenmue 3 and we probably wouldn't be getting that if Yu Suzuki/Sony hadn't offset the risk of funding development by leveraging Kickstarter.

The problem, to me, is this:

Big publishers aren't going anywhere. Your Activisions, Ubisofts, EAs, etc.. already see the potential in a platform like Kickstarter and we'd be fools to think they won't take advantage of it. You're not going to see any paradigm shift in the way games are funded, but you will see a shift in the way games are developed/sold to us.

You think pre-order culture is bad today, just wait until those pre-orders go directly to the publisher and directly impact game development! You wanted Zombies in Black Ops 4? Well tough sizzles, we didn't hit 5 million on the Kickstarter. It's your own fault, you know. Maybe you should've bumped that pledge.

Oh, and you signed up for that EA mailer? Well, we're making Mass Effect 5 and we're going to let you know daily that the game needs your help. If we don't hit 15 million on the Kickstarter by the 13th of this month, you won't be able to make a female character. Also, I know we pitched it as having 15 planets you can visit, but we ran a bit over budget so we're going to need you guys to kick in another 750,000 or you're only going to get 10 planets. Sorry, game development budgets are so hard! We don't want to see anyone complaining on social media either. I mean, after all, we're doing exactly what you tell us to do, right?

I mean, god I hope I'm wrong with that stuff, but I don't see any way that non-indie development leverages Kickstarter in a way that doesn't completely screw us over.

I would love for every company to be transparent about their business dealings so that we don't have to speculate and argue with each other on forums, but I don't think that's ever going to change.

Would it be great for fans if Microsoft or Sony just came out and announced how much they paid for Tomb Raider or SFV and release the full details of those contracts? Of course. Are they ever going to be "that" transparent? Highly unlikely.

Of course they won't. I don't tell you how much I pay for stuff, why should they? It's none of your/I/whomever's business.

Hi, you might be new to the world of video production! Let me and my friend Flopsy Flopflop The Floppy Rabbit help you out!

7ikgoBd.jpg

"Hi, I'm Flopsy Flopflop, I'll be your special friend!"

It can take a lot of time to write, record, and edit a video. Typically, Jimquisition starts production at least a few days before you see it, and often wraps up the very morning it goes out. So, even with research, information can become outdated, especially on the Internet, where information moves pretty quick.

7ikgoBd.jpg

"The Internet is a global system of interconnected computer networks that use the standard Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to link several billion devices worldwide! I have cute ears!"

In the case of Shenmue 3, there were so many mixed messages and miscommunications that, even with my double-checking the facts I had, information was missed. Unfortunately, some news reports and community threads were confused, and even things Sony itself had said gave the wrong impression.

I care very deeply about my show, and I dislike giving out wrong information. Having an opportunity to fix things (the video hadn't been up too long anyway), I decided to take it.

7ikgoBd.jpg

"Having confidence in what you release is about more than simply sticking to your guns even when facts tell you otherwise! It's also about knowing when you're wrong and taking steps to become right. Do you have any carrots?"

As for the comparisons to Polygon and retracting articles, it's worth noting that articles can be easily edited. You can update a story very quickly and have it rolled into the meat of the post. Video is obviously more difficult. We have video descriptions and annotations, but they make for limp band-aids at best. There's no guarantee they'll be seen or listened to, compounding the misinformation problem.

7ikgoBd.jpg

"Did you know that videos and writing are actually completely different media? Weird! For example, writing is typically static words on a page, while videos actually MOVE and have SOUND SOMETIMES! What suits one medium may not suit another - ask your parents or supervisors if you're still confused."

I hope this helps you out. <3

V_Arnold

macewank: You will be in for a shocker if you think that random serialized franchises will be able to hold hostage the fans money, or if it would be in any way, shape or form Shenmue 3's fault.

As I said again: the need for Shenmue 3 to happen is an unprecedented need, with a scale incomparable to see a zombies mode in COD, which is already a black ops selling point. They are not stupid, they make MUCH more money already by simply using season passes. Do the math.

hodgy100

eh. while there is some discussion to be had here, its a bit difficult and its a very personal subject for many. For a lot of people Shenmue 3 is their Half life 3, their FF7 remake, their last guardian. its a game many thought would never happen, and somehow against all odds now has a shot of happening . People just really want this thing to happen.

Burt

There is nothing good that comes from this in the long term. On the surface, it looks all fine and dandy, though. I mean, we're getting Shenmue 3 and we probably wouldn't be getting that if Yu Suzuki/Sony hadn't offset the risk of funding development by leveraging Kickstarter.

Except for, you know, games like Shenmue

Big publishers aren't going anywhere. Your Activisions, Ubisofts, EAs, etc.. already see the potential in a platform like Kickstarter and we'd be fools to think they won't take advantage of it. You're not going to see any paradigm shift in the way games are funded, but you will see a shift in the way games are developed/sold to us.

You think pre-order culture is bad today, just wait until those pre-orders go directly to the publisher and directly impact game development! You wanted Zombies in Black Ops 4? Well tough sizzles, we didn't hit 5 million on the Kickstarter. It's your own fault, you know. Maybe you should've bumped that pledge.

Oh, and you signed up for that EA mailer? Well, we're making Mass Effect 5 and we're going to let you know daily that the game needs your help. If we don't hit 15 million on the Kickstarter by the 13th of this month, you won't be able to make a female character. Also, I know we pitched it as having 15 planets you can visit, but we ran a bit over budget so we're going to need you guys to kick in another 750,000 or you're only going to get 10 planets. Sorry, game development budgets are so hard! We don't want to see anyone complaining on social media either. I mean, after all, we're doing exactly what you tell us to do, right?

Publishers are never going to put guaranteed moneymakers behind crowdfunding walls that require payments to at least 2 separate third parties and generally offer the game at a massive discount compared to retail price.
I mean, god I hope I'm wrong with that stuff, but I don't see any way that non-indie development leverages Kickstarter in a way that doesn't completely screw us over.
Except for when we get games like Shenmue for $29.

V_Arnold

eh. while there is some discussion to be had here, its a bit difficult and its a very personal subject for many. For a lot of people Shenmue 3 is their Half life 3, their FF7 remake, their last guardian. its a game many thought would never happen, and somehow against all odds now has a shot of happening . People just really want this thing to happen.

A bit more than any of these projects. You could have dreamed for a Shenmue 3 for YEARS before Last Guardian was even announced or Half-Life 2 even released. FFVII-remake is reaonsable, but even that is only thanks to FF's decline in quality, and not the lack of releases. But your point is valid.

Tripon

I kind of hope that Jim releases videos when he feejs it is ready instead of waiting for Monday. Every so often he gets caught flatfooted by new info that is released after he films his video but before Monday comes which dates his video.

As a person who sets his own schedule, its entirely self inflicted.

Spaghetti

i think maybe there's a little hyperbole about the fears of hyperbole and kickstarter anyway. while they may help offset bloating budgets, kickstarter money is pocket change in context.

This will never happen. Simply because nobody will give any money on KS for a new fucking Call of Duty game. Or Mass Effect, or <insert big franchise here>. After the Mass Effect series ended on a high note and 10 years have passed and nobody but the most hardcore fans remember the title and the original creators come back to do another entry in the series after EA gave them permission ... then yes, I could see that happening. But right now if EA came out with a KS for the next Mass Effect people would look at them like they were crazy and move on.

LaserHawk

Dang it, was there another person on this planet who dared to not put Shenmue on a pedestal and I missed it? I'm actually kinda sad that I missed this video.

jholmes

Hi, you might be new to the world of video production! Let me and my friend Flopsy Flopflop The Floppy Rabbit help you out!

7ikgoBd.jpg

"Hi, I'm Flopsy Flopflop, I'll be your special friend!"

It can take a lot of time to write, record, and edit a video. Typically, Jimquisition starts production at least a few days before you see it, and often wraps up the very morning it goes out. So, even with research, information can become outdated, especially on the Internet, where information moves pretty quick.

7ikgoBd.jpg

"The Internet is a global system of interconnected computer networks that use the standard Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to link several billion devices worldwide! I have cute ears!"

In the case of Shenmue 3, there were so many mixed messages and miscommunications that, even with my double-checking the facts I had, information was missed. Unfortunately, some news reports and community threads were confused, and even things Sony itself had said gave the wrong impression.

I care very deeply about my show, and I dislike giving out wrong information. Having an opportunity to fix things (the video hadn't been up too long anyway), I decided to take it.

7ikgoBd.jpg

"Having confidence in what you release is about more than simply sticking to your guns even when facts tell you otherwise! It's also about knowing when you're wrong and taking steps to become right. Do you have any carrots?"

As for the comparisons to Polygon and retracting articles, it's worth noting that articles can be easily edited. You can update a story very quickly and have it rolled into the meat of the post. Video is obviously more difficult. We have video descriptions and annotations, but they make for limp band-aids at best. There's no guarantee they'll be seen or listened to, compounding the misinformation problem.

7ikgoBd.jpg

"Did you know that videos and writing are actually completely different media? Weird! For example, writing is typically static words on a page, while videos actually MOVE and have SOUND SOMETIMES! What suits one medium may not suit another - ask your parents or supervisors if you're still confused."

I hope this helps you out. <3

Did Flopsy bunny ever suggest to you that you make sure you're not behind on the story before you make the final decision to go live with a video? He seems like a good source of information and it would occur that that's a pretty fundamental step.

rjinaz

I want to see Flopsy Flopflop The Floppy Rabbit in all of your videos "Mr. Sterling's Neighborhood" could be a hit.

Did Flopsy bunny ever suggest to you that you make sure you're not behind on the story before you make the final decision to go live with a video? He seems like a good source of information and it would occur that that's a pretty fundamental step.
7ikgoBd.jpg

"We're usually too busy making out by the time the video's done."

*Splinter

Now I'm all for taking an opportunity for criticising Jim's shoddy journalism, but mistakes do happen especially with how fast new information spreads on the Internet and Jim has taken steps to correct his video, so your complaints are pretty much unwarranted at this point.

Top Bottom