• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEE confirms three-hour press conference for GamesCom

Galvanise_ said:
P.S I'd love Phil Harrison to come back.

No, just no. I think Harrison got out of touch with the PS community /fanbase in the late years. It especially shows in the beginning of the PS3 era which lead us to such wonderful classics like Lair, Heavenly Sword, Untold Kingdom & Genji 2. And hes continueing the streak at Atari.

Yushida taking charge of SCEWW is one best things thats happend to Sony in a while. Im certain that he will be the fresh breath of air that they've needed, on regards of better games/projects.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
highluxury said:
No, just no. I think Harrison got out of touch with the PS community /fanbase in the late years. It especially shows in the beginning of the PS3 era which lead us to such wonderful classics like Lair, Heavenly Sword, Untold Kingdom & Genji 2. And hes continueing the streak at Atari.

Yushida taking charge of SCEWW is one best things thats happend to Sony in a while. Im certain that he will be the fresh breath of air that they've needed, on regards of better games/projects.

Yeah, Yoshida is definitely getting things done.

noah111

Still Alive
highluxury said:

Oh gtfo, you're holding Harrison responsible for Lair? Wtf :lol HS was a good game, and the rest were basically launch titles. Phil Harrison was one of the best minds at Sony in terms of PlayStation, and if some of those in the company would have listened to him more things would be going much differently than they are now. I'm not saying Yushida isn't great, but saying Harrison wasn't is just bullocks imo.

Kagari said:
Yeah, Yoshida is definitely getting things done.

Oh, I wouldn't want Phil back as head of SCE WWS, but I'd like him back as say, a deputy to that position and be the 'frontman' at the conferences.

I really like Yoshida. He's got things going in the right direction.

FFS .. .

this thread is completely retarded....

THE CONFERENCE IS NOT THREE HOURS LONG

They have a networking / drinks / party event after the press conference. While the total time for this on the invite is 3 hours, they most certainly won't be holding a 3 hour stage event...

Seriously... wtf is wrong with people? Who in their right mind would think that the press (who are the main focus of a PRESS CONFERENCE) can seriously report on on everything in a 3 hour presser?

The press conference will be 1 to 1.5 hours tops.

Between the slim announce and PSP Go launch update there won;t be time for much else

noah111

Still Alive
NinjaFusion said:
FFS .. .

They have a networking / drinks / party event after the press conference. While the total time for this on the invite is 3 hours, they most certainly won't be holding a 3 hour stage event...

Seriously... wtf is wrong with people? Who in their right mind would think that the press (who are the main focus of a PRESS CONFERENCE) can seriously report on on everything in a 3 hour presser?

You mad? Where have you been the last 10 pages. :lol

Pretty sure the conference is 1.5/2 hours long according to the invite note.

beast786

NinjaFusion said:
FFS .. .

Between the slim announce and PSP Go launch update there won;t be time for much else

Wellcome to page 2 :lol

Sentry said:
Oh gtfo, you're holding Harrison responsible for Lair? Wtf :lol HS was a good game, and the rest were basically launch titles. Phil Harrison was one of the best minds at Sony in terms of PlayStation, and if some of those in the company would have listened to him more things would be going much differently than they are now.

Hell yeah, everything that got published got through him. It always goes through the head of the WW studios.

Sentry said:
I'm not saying Yushida isn't great ,but saying Harrison wasn't is just bullocks imo.

Im not saying it was always like this, but compared to his older days, his decision making skills had definitely gotten dull.

Sentry said:
Oh gtfo, you're holding Harrison responsible for Lair? Wtf :lol HS was a good game, and the rest were basically launch titles. Phil Harrison was one of the best minds at Sony in terms of PlayStation, and if some of those in the company would have listened to him more things would be going much differently than they are now. I'm not saying Yushida isn't great, but saying Harrison wasn't is just bullocks imo.

he was one of the reasons sony ignored huge franchises for the first 12-18 months of the ps3's life in favour of untested new ip's... this was brave but ultimately it was the wrong direction to go.

and during the last few year's he's kind of become irrelevant... look at atari... hardly the phoenix they promised, eh?

noah111

Still Alive
NinjaFusion said:
if it's more than 1.5 hours sony have lost their minds.
E3 was 2 hours, what's the big deal? Why would you get upset if their conference was (hypothetically) 3 hours long? How does that hurt you exactly..

Galvanise_ said:
Possibly. Vinterbird has heard that they will be revealing two games at Gamescom.

Thats' what my scheduel says:

NAMCO-BANDAI:
10:30 - … : GameRepublic presenting two unannounced games, 1on1. @ Business Area

Vinterbird said:
Thats' what my scheduel says:

NAMCO-BANDAI:
10:30 - … : GameRepublic presenting two unannounced games, 1on1. @ Business Area

Nice. Namco though? I don't think these will be exclusive then. Sony tend to publish Game republics Playstation titles.

The probability of one of these games being a Dragonball title is high.

VicViper

Where's the official GAF GamesCom thread, anyways? It's only one week away!

Who's going to attend? GAF meet and greet perhaps?

.nimrod

VicViper said:

161no76.jpg

:D

Xater

VicViper said:

I'd be up for that but probabl on the weekend. The first days when it's not as full I'll try to get some work done.

Loxley

It's still amusing to me that, ever since last year's TGS and going forward, before every fucking trade show people start talking about how either Sony will announce a price cut or the rumored "PS3 Slim".

"They're gonna announce it man."
"Seriously, this time they're gonna reveal the Slim."
"Okay this time I really mean it; they're gonna announce that price cut."

It's been almost a year folks, give it a rest. We're at the point where you don't even need to speculate, it'll happen sooner or later.

"Dude, I totally called that PS3 price cut a year before it actually happened. Suck it down GAF."

Galvanise_ said:
Nice. Namco though? I don't think these will be exclusive then. Sony tend to publish Game republics Playstation titles.

The probability of one of these games being a Dragonball title is high.

I don't think it will be Dragon Ball, because later in the day I'm going to see a new Dragon Ball title form another studio published by Namco-Bandai.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Loxley said:
It's still amusing to me that, ever since last year's TGS and going forward, before every fucking trade show people start talking about how either Sony will announce a price cut or the rumored "PS3 Slim".

'Slim Anticipation' only started in May really. No one was expecting a slim so soon prior to those photos leaking.

Some people hoped it might be announced at E3, but I don't think it was a very widely held expectation, I think most realised a later announcement was more likely.

As for pricecuts that's natural, people are always hoping for pricecuts, and it becomes more frequent/urgent when you've gone nearly 2 years or whatever without any price change.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Loxley said:

"They're gonna announce it man."
"Seriously, this time they're gonna reveal the Slim."
"Okay this time I really mean it; they're gonna announce that price cut."

It's been almost a year folks, give it a rest. We're at the point where you don't even need to speculate, it'll happen sooner or later.

"Dude, I totally called that PS3 price cut a year before it actually happened. Suck it down GAF."
Eh? Slim anticipation never started until the photos leaked.

I distinctly don't remember a slim bein talked about before the pics existed.

spwolf

DMeisterJ said:
Eh? Slim anticipation never started until the photos leaked.

I distinctly don't remember a slim bein talked about before the pics existed.

it wasnt, he is smoking something :D

Vinterbird said:
I don't think it will be Dragon Ball, because later in the day I'm going to see a new Dragon Ball title form another studio published by Namco-Bandai.

a new DB title besides Raging Blast (PS3/360) and Revenge of King Piccolo (Wii)?

-viper-

Banned
I hope they announce the Slim PS3 soon. My current PS3 is loud as hell and I want to get rid of it ASAP. It's going to be a pain backing up my files though :\

Xenomorph

Banned
I'll probably never get rid of my current PS3. It's got backwards compatibility, 2 extra USB slots, and all the SD card readers and junk.

It will take 1.5 hours of partying and booze to butter up the press for the other 1.5 hours explaining why the PS3 Slim should be $599.

Fizzle

-viper- said:
I hope they announce the Slim PS3 soon. My current PS3 is loud as hell and I want to get rid of it ASAP. It's going to be a pain backing up my files though :\

You can probably buy a 500gb for cheap now.

Graphics Horse said:
OK, try this thread, which is full of people hoping for a smaller PS3!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284860

"Hope" being the operative word!

Slim PS3 is a suprise, "forum officianados" have been talking of how much money Sony are losing every month, how many big PS3s are stuck in channels and on shelves, it's failing because it is an expensive blu-ray player, then within months of seeing blurry shots from a "Chinese production line", Sony have reduced costs by 70% and are clearing channels for a slim release in less than a months time. Noone predicted this!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There was chit-chat since the T3 article, and people are always speculating about internal revisions etc. but few people took the notion of a slim seriously enough to anticipate announcements about it until E3 this year, after the chinese photo leak.

It wasn't something that's been expected for a long time, for conference after conference. Price cuts are a different matter, for sure, but the Slim only started figuring into conference expectations more broadly at E3 (and even then, as I said, most I think recognised it was unlikely to show at e3).

travisbickle said:
"Hope" being the operative word!

Slim PS3 is a suprise, "forum officianados" have been talking of how much money Sony are losing every month, how many big PS3s are stuck in channels and on shelves, it's failing because it is an expensive blu-ray player, then within months of seeing blurry shots from a "Chinese production line", Sony have reduced costs by 70% and are clearing channels for a slim release in less than a months time. Noone predicted this!

I'm just saying it's a long running rumour, which didn't start with the Taiwanese pictures. (Even if they were the first legit source.)

Chris_C

Sentry said:

Absolutely, Harrison was a visionary and his perfect marriage was Sony, it's just a shame he didn't stay longer. Yoshida's doing great work, but Sony will really miss Harrison.

spwolf

Graphics Horse said:
I'm just saying it's a long running rumour, which didn't start with the Taiwanese pictures. (Even if they were the first legit source.)

um, someone hoping for smaller PS3 != PS3 Slim

thats like, 2-3 years from now, we get image of PS4 and then someone posting "blah, PS4 has been rumored since 2008". Seriously :D

gtj1092

Graphics Horse said:

I wouldn't say a long running rumor but it has been EXPECTED, its not like there wasn't a PSone or PStwo. When did it become taboo on this board to like sony products. There is just as many way out there fanboys here for MS and Nintendo but all angst is directed towards anyone who likes their PS3 and the games for it. Not saying you but just making the point. Like why does it bother some that there has or hasn't been speculation for a year. No one is forced to read it.

Vinterbird said:
Could be that, the game is titled Dragon Ball X with no platforms mentioned.

uhm, interesting...

about the Slim rumour.. i have the feeling that it's coming pretty soon. some weeks ago a friend of mine, who works for Gamestop, told me he got internal info about the Slim coming pretty soon, so i really think it's gonna be released this year.

offshore

highluxury said:
I think Harrison got out of touch with the PS community/fanbase in the late years.

I agree. He got pretty vocal as well....like a Krazy Ken Spec II.

Yoshida talks common sense whenever I see him interviewed. I was curious to see him talk about some third parties feeling more comfortable about going back to PlayStation exclusivity...it doesn't seem like the kind of thing he'd say on a whim...especially when third party relations isn't part of his job description (at least I wouldn't assume so!)

Some said that he may have had a hand in keeping FFXIV only on PS3 console. If that's true, he could be a big asset for Sony if he can pursuade third parties to go back to some kind of PlayStation exclusivity, timed or otherwise.

Top Bottom