• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Family Actress that plays Alex Dunphy had to get a breast reduction at age 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
http://www.glamour.com/inspired/blogs/the-conversation/2015/08/ariel-winter-breast-reduction

Every time Ariel Winter stepped onto a red carpet, she knew what was coming: the stares, the whispers, the rumors. But for the 17-year-old star of Modern Family, she had a job to do—act. Act, and pretend she didn’t notice. But even though from the outside it looked like the attention didn’t bother her, there was an emotional and physical battle that she struggled with deeply inside. At 5’1, the petite star was dealing with more than an awkward growth spurt. “It really did happen overnight,” Winter says of her breast development. “I remember being in my sister’s wedding and being so flat and thinking, ‘I just wish I would grow boobs!’ and then overnight I did. But then they kept growing and growing and growing and it didn’t seem like they were going to stop." It’s hard enough being a teenager in life, but being on one of the most popular and critically-acclaimed sitcoms drew heightened interest. “I was 15 years old with [size] F [breasts],” recounts Winter. “It’s like, ‘How do you navigate that?’”

And yet, navigate she did—at least to the best of her ability. Finding bras and clothes that fit was more than difficult emotionally but nothing that compared with the physical pain she endured on a daily basis. Noting that standing up straight for hours at a time proved difficult, Winter often found herself hunched over on set. "It started to hurt so bad that I couldn’t take the pain,” admits the young star. Noting that the female side of her family has a “history of large breasts,” several family members were not shocked when Winter confided her thoughts about eventually undergoing breast reduction surgery. “A few of my cousins have had breast reductions, so it wasn’t a shock when I decided to get one.” Still, Winter stresses that the decision was entirely her own and not the result of online bullying. "I got it for myself. I can’t even really put it into words about how amazing it feels to really feel right."

On the morning of June 4—a little more than two months ago—Winter woke up ready to put the physical and emotional pain behind her. Having only told a select few family and friends, the Modern Family star underwent breast reduction surgery to reduce the size of her chest from a 32 F to a 34 D. The result for Winter was noticeable right away. Throughout the course of our exclusive sit-down interview, she mentions frequently that she “feels like a new person.” Winter knows the physical difference is what everyone will be talking about, but it’s the emotional change that’s most evident.

Size F, wow.

Glamour: How did you settle on a D-cup?
Ariel: [My doctor and I] did. I knew for sure that I wasn’t going to go bigger than a D because the whole point was to get rid of it! I was a 32F and that was too big for me! My doctor said we shouldn’t go bigger than a D, and I agreed. He said he didn’t think we should go smaller than a C, and I agreed. And the reason I said that was because I have always been a curvier girl. Always. And I enjoy being a curvier girl. I don’t want to be disproportionate again. I have a big butt, I like having a big butt. I didn’t want to have a big butt and no boobs!

ariel-winter-new-2015-beach-photos-w724.jpg
[/IMG]

She wore a very revealing dress to the emmys or golden globes or some other shit show and got a lot of shit for it. She was probably a little young to be wearing such a cleavage heavy dress, but the shit she got for it was way over the top. Can see why something like that would knock you mentally.

Dice//

Banned
Unreal that a 17 year old managed to out-size the actual voluptuous co-star.
Good for her though. Health reasons as well as the responses on the internet are more than enough reason to get it done. :p

0ULj6N6.jpg

I want to say good for her because she wanted to be taken more seriously, and I'm sure people were being inappropriate to her all the time.

At the same time, if she wanted to be a role model to tell young girls to love the skin they're in, that won't fly anymore.

Manu

Good for her. Watching the series you know they were running out of ways to hide it, making her wear oversized clothes and such.

Dice//

Banned
At the same time, if she wanted to be a role model to tell young girls to love the skin they're in, that won't fly anymore.

Dude... a 17 year old with an F-cup. She's an outlier, I feel like she gets a 'pass' on the "loving the skin you're in" platitude (however important it is). This is more of a health thing (and yeah, I'm sure she got a lot of the wrong kind of attention for her chest size as well).

NastyBook

Unreal that a 17 year old managed to out-size the actual voluptuous co-star.
Good for her though. Health reasons as well as the responses on the internet are more than enough reason to get it done. :p

0ULj6N6.jpg
*gets ready to turn himself in after work*

KevinCow

Banned
Yeah, F-cups were a little too big for her frame. And it's good that she got the reduction if she was already starting to have back problems at 17.

Stet

Banned
I want to say good for her because she wanted to be taken more seriously, and I'm sure people were being inappropriate to her all the time.

Love the skin you're in, even if that skin gives you back problems.

Good for her. She's a beautiful young lady. Quite talented as well. I believe I saw a pic of her mom once who was quite the big woman herself. Her height has to a big factor here. I've got quite a few female friends at the 5ft range. I can't imagine seeing them with boobs that big.

Dicer

Banned
F cups has got to suck.

My GF is FF, and she's on the smaller end of the scale among her sisters...

They are all solid gals so they mange to carry them well, but this girl has such a small frame it would have wrecked her back for sure.

JDSN

Banned
Girl has had a rough life, a piece of shit mentally abusing mom and now surgery. Now ill take my leave before the eventual lock.

Kinyou

‘I just wish I would grow boobs!’ and then overnight I did. But then they kept growing and growing and growing and it didn’t seem like they were going to stop."
Classic monkey paw

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
Soleil Moon Frye had the same thing done at 16, though I think hers was a medical condition.

besada

Banned
What the fuck are they putting in our food these days
Some girls just start early and get big fast. My wife got her boobs at 12. She had a C cup at 12. She found it to be pretty horrible, so I have a lot of sympathy for this girl. You're a kid and suddenly grown men start treating you very differently, and you have no idea why or what to do about it.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I guess this means they won't need to hide her in sweaters and behind various objects on Modern Family anymore.

Konka

Banned

Love the skin you're in even if it's causing you back and neck problems that could affect your entire life!

friend of mine had G's or H's. She got a breast reduction, she used to talk about the back pain all the time and the breasts always getting in the way etc.

Africanus

Perfectly fine, especially considering the potential spinal and muscle problems that may have intensified in the future.

Necessary to reduce if they're growing too fast.

I know they can cause back stress and major discomfort.

Even though I'm a boob guy I advocate reductions for the sake of health and comfort.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

You do realize that large breasts can cause back pain and problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom