• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda WiiU "confirmed" for 2016. Wolf Link amiibo compatible.

greenteaa

Neo Member
I actually don't think there will be a "partner" this time around.
I actually think Epona will be our companion this time around. Not in the traditional sense (she won't talk and will follow us only where she is able) but we've seen how much crap Epona is lugging around for us this time (bags, sleeping bags, weapons ..) so I imagine she'll be sticking by our side a lot more than we've been used to.

Zelda_Wii_U_Epona.png

Seems like she will be our sort of 'caravan', a movable home for Link during the adventure, a vehicle on which we can store stuff.

Plus it feels like they are making a point with this one to make us feel more connected to the natural environment of Hyrule (or wherever this is), what with all the wildlife; birds, goats, wild horses etc. So a less intrusive companion in the form of the horse would be perfect to emphasise this.

RK128

I actually think Epona will be our companion this time around. Not in the traditional sense (she won't talk and will follow us only where she is able) but we've seen how much crap Epona is lugging around for us this time (bags, sleeping bags, weapons ..) so I imagine she'll be sticking by our side a lot more than we've been used to.

Zelda_Wii_U_Epona.png

Seems like she will be our sort of 'caravan', a movable home for Link during the adventure, a vehicle on which we can store stuff.

Plus it feels like they are making a point with this one to make us feel more connected to the natural environment of Hyrule (or wherever this is), what with all the wildlife; birds, goats, wild horses etc. So a less intrusive companion in the form of the horse would be perfect to emphasise this.

Could see Link sitting by a camp fire, tinkering with his tools and upgrading them during night (if there is a day/night cycle) as well :).

DekuLink

Not sure what happened, but the res on this new shot seems rather reduced as compared with the trailer. AA/bloom seems to be gone (sharp, aliased edges on shadows), grass has lost texture detail, draw distance seems shorter and there's an unpleasant smoggy haze covering everything. It's lost quite a bit of that striking Miyazaki style in colors and the painterly quality it had. My guess is that this new footage is from the Wii U version, while the previous version was running on early NX hardware or a PC Target render for the NX.

Nintendo has released screenshots well above what the console they were to be released on could handle before though. There were 720p-screenshots for Twilight princess in 2005, does that mean those were screngrabs from the Wii U version now released 11 years later? ;)))
Skyward had 720p or something screenshots as well. And OoT had 480p-screenshots although 3DS is 240p.

greenteaa

Neo Member
Could see Link sitting by a camp fire, tinkering with his tools and upgrading them during night (if there is a day/night cycle) as well :).

Well, there is this:

XKP8fXd.png

Reminds me of this from LOTR:

The-Return-of-the-King-signal-fires.png

It would be so fucking nice to just chilli round a bonfire on a hilltop after a hard day of adventuring.

Ansatz

I like your Epona theory but there has to be a companion for the sake of dialogue, unless this version of Epona can speak like the king of red lions.

Zelda_Wii_U_Epona.png

It really seems like the item 'gimmick' this time will be that Epona can carry all your stuff, however when you leave her you can only take a few items. So for example, you can only take a hookshot and bombs into a dungeon (together with your sword and/or crossbow). It would be a cool form of item management that isn't as obnoxious as LBW's renting system.

RK128

I like your Epona theory but there has to be a companion for the sake of dialogue, unless this version of Epona can speak like the king of red lions.

Or maybe it can be like how Persona handles non-speaking MC's; you have dialog options and Link doesn't talk but everyone else speaks to him. It would makes sense considering this link is already an adventurer rather than working to become one (if the trailers mean anything).

Looks like both FFXV and Rise of the Tomb Raider use this gameplay mechanic (haven't personally played either). Seems like a cool idea, I hope there are lots of weapons and permutations of each.

RK128

Looks like both FFXV and Rise of the Tomb Raider use this gameplay mechanic (haven't personally played either). Seems like a cool idea, I hope there are lots of weapons and permutations of each.

Considering the first trailer had link shooting some futuristic light arrow, I could easily see your statement happening.

Eolz

I like this Epona theory!

Nintendo has released screenshots well above what the console they were to be released on could handle before though. There were 720p-screenshots for Twilight princess in 2005, does that mean those were screngrabs from the Wii U version now released 11 years later? ;)))
Skyward had 720p or something screenshots as well. And OoT had 480p-screenshots although 3DS is 240p.

Yep. People shouldn't read too much into this aspect (for now).
I'm sure they know the true Zelda NX needs to be released earlier in the console life this time anyway, and they've probably did some good experiments with the wiiu (HD dev, open world tech and game mechanics, etc).

-Horizon-

I don't think 'epona' is the companion.
I think it's that book thing that is at link's waist. And you communicate with it through the wii u gamepad screen.

DekuLink

I made a comparison for those saying it's a downgrade, apart from the fact that the old screnshots were bullshots at 1080p downsampled from 1440p or something.

cPJur7C.png

I pasted the new screenshot next to link and epona in the old one at the same size, since it's unfair to compair a close up to a far away shot.
And then cut out some grass (since grass is all that's seen in the new screenshot and it's the only thing comparable apart from Link and epona.) and then pasted it next to grass of comparable close up-ness in the old screenshot and then adjusted the colours to make it easier to compare.

To me the grass looks the same. It's lacking the red flowers and some kind of other grass, but that could just mean that they don't use the exat same grass/flowers everywhere, which at least I think is a good thing so it don't look exactly the same evrywhere.

Looking at link's face, things usually look distorted at a lower resolution than what's needed to see all detail, so it's a bit strange to draw conclusions from that to what Link's face looks like now

Regarding the light, it's obviously different times during the day, so it's a bit unfair to compare the light.

The old image is just in 1080.. the game looks exactly the same the main difference between that e3 image and the new one is lighting. Thats really all there is to it. And camera angle. This game kinda got that skyward sword thing going on that when you are further away from something the artstyle makes it looks a bit more organic and not like a game.

I'm pretty excited about that book-looking thing on his hip. I think in one of the old wishlist threads I mentioned that I wanted the main item to be a "Book of Mudora"-like item that you could scan via the Wii U tablet and even use to translate ancient runes around the world.

xxl30001

Banned
Would it be far-fetched to assume this is a sequel to Twilight Princess and this Link is related to TP link if not the actual Link?

jmizzal

After seeing this new footage, I'm even more hyped for this game. Knowing Nintendo, this game is coming to WiiU and NX one way or another. Perhaps NX ends up with the improved visuals, longer draw distances, etc. as an incentive for people to prefer that version over the WiiU version. Keep the current audience happy while offering up something new for the emerging NX offering.

Another thing is, NX Handheld version of Zelda may be similar graphically to the WiiU version but you can take it on the go. while console version is vastly superior, so it will make everybody happy.

If NX has cross buy, you own the console version then you own the handheld version, something like that would def get some people to buy both NX systems.

ReyVGM

If your talking about that pic, there is no way the wiiu version will match that, that's 1080p with great AA, the game on wiiu is already 720p and looks to have a lack of descent AA. It's already been downgraded.

It was never 'downgraded'.

The screenshots from the first trailer were bullshots. Nintendo did that with Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess.

And the E3 trailer in motion looks basically the same as this new 5-sec clip.

Anyone want to do some speculations on the book Link is carrying? In past entries, Red Lion partnered with Link while sailing, Midna was hiding in the shadow and Fi was actually the sword. So I was thinking, if that book Link carrying is actually the partner this time around, as he/she/it is nowhere to be seen.

Oh no, please no. I don't want another partner. Upend the tables, do away with tropes!

Answer: low-detail textures. Much easier to render lots of stuff if what you're rendering is relatively simple.

The artstyle helps a lot with that. An stylized artstyle like that allows the game to have low-detail textures without impacting too much how it looks as a whole.

DekuLink

Link does look more anime now (look at the mouth).

That could be due to the resolution being too low and Link too far away, and no AA present, combined with the lightning

I mean, look at this:

Zelda_Skyward_Sword_1104_24.jpg

XMoqbwB.png
usYXNWo.png

Kind of makes Link look not at all like he looks like at close up.

Or this example:

900p:
H9Ele0M.jpg

480p:
8rhkUKy.png

2cvoEQX.png
pvOgVVx.png

I had a hard time finding 480p images with link at a distance, so I downsampled a 900p dolphin screenshot to 480p with nearest neighbour filtering to simulate what no AA does.

Anth0ny

How in the world is Nintendo pulling this off on the Wii U? This is the first game in like 5 years that made me go wow. It's nothing technical but it's the amount of love they have put into the little things like the little blades of grass moving. I mean it's 5 seconds of a horse running and the sun shining into your eyes as you see the landscape. But dang there is so much going on and the way the land looks, really looks so inviting. I hope it is coming to NX. I want it in 1080p. I have a feeling this is going to be the Super Mario 64 of this generation. Nothing is going to top this for a very long time.

It's all art style.

1080p version on NX would be fantastic.

The artstyle helps a lot with that. An stylized artstyle like that allows the game to have low-detail textures without impacting too much how it looks as a whole.

I think they're definitely getting their mileage out of the environments (in particular the grass/foliage, landforms, and water) with the new art style, but I'm honestly a little worried about the character art - Link and Epona have always just looked "okay." I'd be happier with a little more texture for the characters.

So I was watching the Slow-Mo Video from Gamexplain and there you could clearly see how much is going on on the screen. There are still thousands of flowers, birds flying around, fog flowing around the ground, goats and I bet a lot more you couldn't see in the 5 seconds. Can't wait for actual gameplay in direcr feed quality.

sinxtanx

So I was watching the Slow-Mo Video from Gamexplain and there you could clearly see how much is going on on the screen. There are still thousands of flowers, birds flying around, fog flowing around the ground, goats and I bet a lot more you couldn't see in the 5 seconds. Can't wait for actual gameplay in direcr feed quality.

that video has great clarity

F26sXsk.png

I wasn't sure whether this was clouds or mist before, but now it clearly looks like water. Swamp area?

Vanpira

Link has a giant sword.

CTpckb5WcAASsZ5.png:large

Why?

He is on a horse. If you try and hit enemies on the ground the horse's height would make the range of your swing very short. Having a longer sword makes it so that combat on the horse is more useful and you don't think you have to get off to fight non mounted enemies. That's my guess anyway.

Eolz

Wow, nice.
I still feel RDR horses will stay my favorite horses in the end, but this Zelda seems like a fantastic matchup of past Zelda games, Mononoke (and similar anime) and western inspirations.
I feel we'll get a special Zelda Direct before E3 to discover a lot of small details like this.

ReyVGM

That could be due to the resolution being too low and Link too far away, and no AA present, combined with the lightning

I understand your examples, but in this case, it doesn't apply. The official screenshot is high res and you can clearly see Link's face and his mouth is clearly smaller than the E3 screens.

As long as it doesn't have those huge lips Link has in Skyward Sword, it will be fine.

Well, there is this:

XKP8fXd.png

Reminds me of this from LOTR:

The-Return-of-the-King-signal-fires.png

It would be so fucking nice to just chilli round a bonfire on a hilltop after a hard day of adventuring.

I think that is one of those shining spots you saw on the gameawards footage.

that video has great clarity

F26sXsk.png

I wasn't sure whether this was clouds or mist before, but now it clearly looks like water. Swamp area?

Yeah, bet you're right. Looks really like a swamp. But the tree doesn't really look like one you would except to see in a swamp. And the are would be a really small swamp aswell.

DekuLink

I understand your examples, but in this case, it doesn't apply. The official screenshot is high res and you can clearly see Link's face and his mouth is clearly smaller than the E3 screens.

It's only 720p though, and even if you believe that it's still clear that low res and no AA affects how he looks like, because he will not look like this at close up:

MWvGPPn.png

compare that with
pvOgVVx.png

and notice how the mouth only looks like a line of pixels. There is obvoiusly lost information and you can't even see his lips in the Zelda U photo. And I am definitely sure he will have some kinds of lips.

ReyVGM

I was rewatching the E3 footage, and when Link jumps off Epona at the end, he's not just jumping - Epona actually launches Link up so he gains more momentum and height.

sinxtanx

Yeah, bet you're right. Looks really like a swamp. But the tree doesn't really look like one you would except to see in a swamp. And the are would be a really small swamp aswell.

it gets pretty misty further up, might just be the edge of the swamp
and trees might not be final overall

btw I just noticed something small they fixed since last year: Link's cape doesn't clip through his shield anymore :D

georly

He is on a horse. If you try and hit enemies on the ground the horse's height would make the range of your swing very short. Having a longer sword makes it so that combat on the horse is more useful and you don't think you have to get off to fight non mounted enemies. That's my guess anyway.

I'm more wondering:

Are swords just longer in this game? Do you have weapon choices now? Is this a biggoron's sword equivalent? Do you pick better weapons for different situations, or is this an upgrade? Does this mean other weapon types are possible? Is this your first sword? Second? Last? If it's last, does this mean you never don the green tunic?

It brings up a lot of questions which I summarized in one word: "Why?"

I'm more wondering:

Are swords just longer in this game? Do you have weapon choices now? Is this a biggoron's sword equivalent? Do you pick better weapons for different situations, or is this an upgrade? Does this mean other weapon types are possible? Is this your first sword? Second? Last? If it's last, does this mean you never don the green tunic?

I'm assuming the bold.

Looks like sword/shield and bow will be primary weapons, and if they want to get the most out of the large world they'll be missing out both on content and gameplay variety if they don't offer different kinds of swords/shields/bows to discover and equip.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
How in the world is Nintendo pulling this off on the Wii U? This is the first game in like 5 years that made me go wow. It's nothing technical but it's the amount of love they have put into the little things like the little blades of grass moving. I mean it's 5 seconds of a horse running and the sun shining into your eyes as you see the landscape. But dang there is so much going on and the way the land looks, really looks so inviting. I hope it is coming to NX. I want it in 1080p. I have a feeling this is going to be the Super Mario 64 of this generation. Nothing is going to top this for a very long time.

Hell yeah! Looks incredible, indeed!

georly

I'm assuming the bold.

Looks like sword/shield and bow will be primary weapons, and if they want to get the most out of the large world they'll be missing out both on content and gameplay variety if they don't offer different kinds of swords/shields/bows to discover and equip.

Hate to always draw comparisons to dark souls, but it would be nice if you could pick your preferred weapon/fighting style for normal encounters.

Would also be cool if certain enemies were SUBSTANTIALLY easier with different weapons, so swapping weapons is incredibly beneficial (like being able to break someone's constant guard with a 2h weapon). Previously, certain enemies were weak to or easier to defeat with items (like bow/whip/etc), but it'd be cool if some enemies were a puzzle again, like in skyward sword - but rather than the direction you swing from being the key, it'd be the weapon you use.

I have a copy of Twilight Princess for Gamecube that I played for maybe an hour when it first released. I should probably play some more of that one someday.

Top Bottom