• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Portions of) Yakuza 3 coming to the West - March 2010

Baron Aloha said:
The US box art is terrible. Sad thing is, you know that someone spent time trying to come up with this cover. They probably even had meetings and stuff about it and everything when they could have saved time and money by just spending 2 seconds in Photoshop to take out the cigarette in the Japanese cover art....and it would have looked better to boot.
Oh, I'm sure they looked at popular trends and demographics and such. That whole "half-face" poster/cover design is pretty hot these days. I think even Avatar uses it.

Vespa said:
140945e_copy.jpg

I dunno, it's growing on me..
:lol :lol

Y2Kev said:
At least Snake has some expression on his face. This one is like...."WAIT WHERE IS THE CAMERA WAT"
Oh, I don't know. MGS4 has Snake with an expression like "I totally pooped my pants" while this game has Kiryu with an expression like "I am definitely considering pooping my pants".

So, do you guys like stroke off to your games or something? Because, really, it's the fucking cover. It's not like you're going to spend that much time even looking at it. If it really does bother you that much, just print off the Japanese one.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
So, do you guys like stroke off to your games or something? Because, really, it's the fucking cover. It's not like you're going to spend that much time even looking at it. If it really does bother you that much, just print off the Japanese one.
I ain't gonna lie, there isn't much in this world I don't stroke off to.

C-Jo said:
A few months ago, most of us were resigned to the fact that we wouldn't be playing it in English at all, and now we're bitching about box art? Come on.

yakuza fans love good things. if something is bad, we bitch, it's simple. keep the suck away from the good.

KuwabaraTheMan said:

Normally, I would agree with you, but Yakuza 3 really needs all the help it can get from a sales perspective. Having a pretty ugly cover isn't a good start. While the cover won't affect my personal experience with this game, it could lead to Yakuza 4 never coming stateside. The cover alone won't kill the game, but it might be contributing factor.

C-Jo

Augemitbutter said:
yakuza fans love good things. if something is bad, we bitch, it's simple. keep the suck away from the good.

I'm much more concerned about this whole sub/dub business. As long as the disc has Japanese VA with English subs, they can sell it in a flaming bag of shit for all I care.

I don't think I have ever replaced box art with a custom one, but that is going to change. Hell, I'll just put my spare Demon's Souls box art on there if I have to. Even if they made the change for the smoking, it's a horrible cover and they could have made it much better.

Since we've got a cover and seems the game is still headed for March in both territories, can we assume the dub was just complete misinformation? I mean they have like a month to dub it in, with no other news on such a thing so I think we're in the clear and Mr Gobby McSega had no idea what he was talking about.

Oh well, maybe the Euro box will be better, either way its a locked in purchase. God of War 3 and FF13 can piss off!

KuwabaraTheMan said:
In my experience, 99% of gaf memebers do not own printers and/or refuse to visit print shops.

_dementia said:
In my experience, 99% of gaf memebers do not own printers and/or refuse to visit print shops.

Actually all print shops I've been into in the past are really snooty and wont print "copyrighted" stuff, which is kinda annoying.

C-Jo said:
I'm much more concerned about this whole sub/dub business. As long as the disc has Japanese VA with English subs, they can sell it in a flaming bag of shit for all I care.

of course the game on the inside is much more important, but that's not the point. the cover looks like they didn't even try to create something special for you to spend your money on, you have to put a bit of eye candy on it so people can appreciate. yakuza is amongst the best series coming from sega currently, why would they package their blockbuster into a piece of ugly junk?

Xater

SecretBonusPoint said:
Since we've got a cover and seems the game is still headed for March in both territories, can we assume the dub was just complete misinformation? I mean they have like a month to dub it in, with no other news on such a thing so I think we're in the clear and Mr Gobby McSega had no idea what he was talking about.

Oh well, maybe the Euro box will be better, either way its a locked in purchase. God of War 3 and FF13 can piss off!

I'm only gonna pass on God of War 3. At least during March. ;)

C-Jo

Augemitbutter said:
yakuza is amongst the best series coming from sega currently, why would they package their blockbuster into a piece of ugly junk?

Haha, I'm not gonna pretend like I understand what the hell Sega is doing with this franchise outside of Japan. I would love to have proper box art and maybe some kind of sign that they understand what exactly their target market is. I just have appropriately low expectations and will be happy enough to get the game in an un-fucked state.

I just ordered Yakuza 2 so I'll be ready for this. :D When it looked like 3 wasn't going to make it to these shores my enthusiasm for getting 2 dropped, but now I'm on the hype train.

It shall be something good to play in March when my girlfriend has taken over my 360 for Final Fantasy 13. :lol

Gagaman

If they really wanted to make this game sell they could give it a box art like the Grand Theft Auto ones with the multiple panels showing different characters and elements of the game (though obviously not in the same GTA art style). Let people know about all the cool shit you can do in it, emphasize the combat if you have to.

Being a PAL gamer I'm holding out hope for our cover. Some times we tend to get the same cover art as Japan so who knows. This US cover however is just poor composition full stop, at least put his face on the side where the rating isn't in the way!

Gagaman said:
If they really wanted to make this game sell they could give it a box art like the Grand Theft Auto ones with the multiple panels showing different characters and elements of the game (though obviously not in the same GTA art style). Let people know about all the cool shit you can do in it, emphasize the combat if you have to.
Yeah trick all the newcomers to think that it's like GTA, further souring the series' rep overseas. Sounds like a good idea. Actually scratch that, sounds like Sega to me.

JudgeN

Stupid question has a price been announced yet? Cause in my mind I had it at $39.99 but when I look at IGN/Amazon/etc its $ 59.99 :lol

G0523

The price has not been officially announced yet. I'm hoping it'll be $39 but I'm willing to bet it'll be $59.

Gagaman said:

As I said, this would do the trick:
k13ywj.png

Hey everyone. First post here!

Though I've been a lurker for ages, I only now finally got off my ass and got registered. I'll try not to post stupid stuff here so try to bear with me... :)

Really looking forward to Yakuza. Day one for me. Looking at the videos, it really reminds me of the time I spent living in Japan. (stuff like the cityscape, karaoke...obviously not the yakuza business. Though some highschool girls did say I looked like one. LOL).

I really hope we'll have different boxart in Europe too. I'd personally be really happy if they sticked with the original Japanese one, though it probably wouldn't sell many copies either...

Sascha23

Banned
What the WTF is up with that cover? Okay, this makes the Heavy Rain cover for America look like perfection.

Seriously, SEGA, please rework this cover. At least move the bloody "M" rating out of Kiryu's face. Hopefully, we'll be offered a chance (similar to Heavy Rain) to print an alternate cover for ourselves.

Still, I am way giddy for this game to be in my hands.

iceatcs

Y2Kev said:
Step to the blue piece of tape on the floor and smile to take your license photo.
"Where the fuck should I look at"
*waiting for the print out*
"What the fuck!?! $10 photos for half face"

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I should be doing hw said:
They are probably squeezing every penny with this release. They probably got the intern from the Copy Room to do this.

And they're charging $60 for it.
Please Sega FIX THE BOX ART. I want to buy this release I really do. And I realize it's nitpicking, but I think most people will agree with me that the current packshot is one of the worst in a long time.

iceatcs

Kagari said:
Please Sega FIX THE BOX ART. I want to buy this release I really do. And I realize it's nitpicking, but I think most people will agree with me that the current packshot is one of the worst in a long time.
I agreed, it is quite horrible but I think the face is okay but just it is on the bad position and the background too simple.
You can print out my version in post 601.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
iceatcs said:
I agreed, it is quite horrible but I think the face is okay but just it is on the bad position and the background too simple.
You can print out my version in post 601.

I did save your version, but they really need to change the actual one.

Kagari said:
Well that isn't a guarantee on the price as of yet, and yes it is nitpicking. I really think you guys should get over it, all those posting in this thread are getting it anyway and after you've played it it will be put on a shelf/pile so only the spine will be visible for the rest of time itself only bugging you on replays.
Other options include;
- importing the PAL version that probably will have a better cover
- print the JAP or the PAL one off
- bitch on the PSBlog if it's been posted there (more chance your annoyances will be heard)
- email the copy room intern with WTF messages, and if you actually do get his email then exact Internet justice by posting here and on /b
- email someone else at SEGA
or, ineffectually, bitch in this thread. You have a myriad of options here, take them. As of now, GAF I'd fully aware that this cover sucks Kazumas dick, don't turn this thread into 10 more pages of a broken record.

Think to yourselves "What Would Kazuma Do?"

Think to yourselves "What Would Kazuma Do?"

The solution is always, friend or foe, to punch them really fucking hard in the face :lol

And thats why I think the cover should reflect what the game is actually about rather than hoping random game shop passers by are going to be curious about the pensive half face of a japanese man and generic dragon clipart symbol. I mean its not rocket science, but hey its Sega! Releasing in March up against FF13 and GoW3 with their least successful franchise in the west yet!

Maybe Sega should have a double sided cover.

The other side of the cover would just be the right side of his face with a panda embossed background. Thanks Sega America....

I think the cover would be more awesome if there is an IGN watermark on it.

androvsky

See I'd prefer more pages of "What Would Kazuma Do" than of the 'cover sucks' response. :lol

Instead of collecting Asian digital watches or 7500 yen from thugs as an apology for bothering him, he'd just make them buy a copy of the game. Crying about the cover? Guess the thugs just volunteered to buy an extra copy to give to someone else. Bullies bitching about the release date? Buy another copy in April.

Women, of course, are allowed to complain. Just don't expect us to buy the Champagne Gold.

LiK

Man, even the two previous US covers for the prequels were better. I guess SEGA really wants this to bomb on the shelves....

Top Bottom