• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

zupahanz

Banned
Corran Horn said:
Is the Increase Health worth it you think? Read its only +20 health right? Trying to setup my setup for the future.
yes! also use this site http://www.maggametools.com/ to look at weapon stats, plan your skill tree and loadouts but dont try to do the trophies they have listed because there wrong but at the same time way better than the actual ones!

i.e. Activision Shill - Complain three times in one round over voice coms that "Modern Warfare 2 has better ____"

Oooh! Pretty! - Run more than 25m towards that cool green column of smoke and die in the resulting mortar strike.

Duuuuuuuuude! - With medkit , let a teammate completely bleed out within 25m of you.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I totally had an amazing moment tonight. I head to the enemy's artillery to take it out, and there's seven dudes coming my way (but don't see me). I hide next to the sandbags and take three guys out. I look on my radar and two more are about to flank me and I turn around to take those guys out. I'm now out of machine gun ammo so I grab my pistol and stand up, only to take out two guys coming at me straight from the middle. Then I plant the explosives and awesome music plays.

I now love this game.

Das-J

Law of the West
TheFatOne said:
Has anyone figured out a way to attack SVER on acquisition or domination?

I like to focus on the outer bunkers and work my way towards the AAA or blast my way through the gate with an APC and rove around destroying all the objectives behind their lines.

Click

Banned
Das-J said:
I like to focus on the outer bunkers and work my way towards the AAA or blast my way through the gate with an APC and rove around destroying all the objectives behind their lines.

There's actually a semi-glitch on SVER Domination.

One of the quadrants has a barrier that can be "squeezed" through easily with an APC.
You don't even have to destroy it and drive right on by, bypassing the entire SVER firing line. It's very difficult to predict if / when some jackass is going to exploit this flaw. Once we see someone do it, we line up the entire area with anti-tank mines though. :D

jorma

is now taking requests
Click said:
There's actually a semi-glitch on SVER Domination.

One of the quadrants has a barrier that can be "squeezed" through easily with an APC.
You don't even have to destroy it and drive right on by, bypassing the entire SVER firing line. It's very difficult to predict if / when some jackass is going to exploit this flaw. Once we see someone do it, we line up the entire area with anti-tank mines though. :D

So what you are saying is that the Sver domination map has a tiny portion that looks like the Raven domination map?

Loudninja said:
I disagree with one con. The graphics aren't that bad at all. Sure, there's quite a bit of pop-in, and the framerate can get a bit unstable in Domination, but for what it's doing, I think it looks pretty good. The game does have 64 to 256 players playing, and I'm sure if the graphics were any better than they are now, major framerate issues would have been the outcome. 4/5 is a good score, though. :)

Billen

Banned
weekend_warrior said:
How much more affective is the heavy armor compared to the light/medium? Everyone I talk to agrees that it doesn't seem to help at all.

I shifted from light to heavy yesterday, and felt invincible. I definately thought I survived situations where I would die minutes ealier. Then again, I may be fooling myself because I am a stupid git :D

See also the thread "MAG Ultimate Gun, Armor, Attachment, Equipment, and Perk Guide w/Stats" in the official forums.

J-Rzez

Click said:
Moral of the story: Don't do Veteran Mode unless you really want to switch factions.

I went into it just because I really enjoy the game, I'm going to play it, I might as well enjoy "working" to things again. We'll have to have a SVER GAF meeting if we're going to switch or not once everyone is high enough to do so.

Couldn't play at all today, going through MAGdrawls here. Tomorrow night I should be on a good clip at least.

jorma

is now taking requests
Billen said:
I shifted from light to heavy yesterday, and felt invincible. I definately thought I survived situations where I would die minutes ealier. Then again, I may be fooling myself because I am a stupid git :D

No, i actually switched yesterday as well, and had the exact same experience. Well i would not exactly call it invincible, but i feel like my shots are really packing a punch now. Definately worth the 5 points if you are constantly being bested in the 1 vs 1 close range situations.

edit: silly me i though we were talking about the light/heavy machine gun :p

oh well my point still stands: i upgraded to the heavy machine gun yesterday and i love it

theBishop

Banned
lastinline said:
I disagree with one con. The graphics aren't that bad at all. Sure, there's quite a bit of pop-in, and the framerate can get a bit unstable in Domination, but for what it's doing, I think it looks pretty good. The game does have 64 to 256 players playing, and I'm sure if the graphics were any better than they are now, major framerate issues would have been the outcome. 4/5 is a good score, though. :)

I think it's fair to dock the graphics. Even if you're happy with the overall rendering technology, the art style is a bit bland and often grainy. I disagree on the sound though. The surround mixing for this game is really wonderful. Sometimes I'm surprised that other people in my squad are only getting stereo, it's like we're playing a different game... together.

GrayFoxPL

chubigans said:
I totally had an amazing moment tonight. I head to the enemy's artillery to take it out, and there's seven dudes coming my way (but don't see me). I hide next to the sandbags and take three guys out. I look on my radar and two more are about to flank me and I turn around to take those guys out. I'm now out of machine gun ammo so I grab my pistol and stand up, only to take out two guys coming at me straight from the middle. Then I plant the explosives and awesome music plays.

I now love this game.

One man...

One desire...

One hero will stand against many.

TRATATATATATA! BANG! BANG! BANG! *thump thump* *thump thump* *thump thump*

His only desire is to plant some explosives...

"I only want to plant some explosives man, that's the only thing that matters."

BOOM! BOOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

From the creators of Socom and Socom II comes the most epic war thriller of the century.

TRATATATATATA! BANG! BANG! BANG! BOOM! TRATATATATATA!

"Kill him! He's just a man!"

BANG! BANG! BOOM!

"No, I'm not. I'm a ..."

Alfred Francis Chubigans is...

***************GAFFER WITH MAG******************

BANG!

"I now love this game."

Psykotik

so lets say i have a clan of 32 players.

obviously we can only have parties of 8 max. so 3 squads altogether.

is there anyway possible to get all 32 into the same game and hopefully in the same platoon?

Anton668

Psykotik said:
so lets say i have a clan of 32 players.

obviously we can only have parties of 8 max. so 3 squads altogether.

is there anyway possible to get all 32 into the same game and hopefully in the same platoon?

its not easily possible.

I believe if you all hit the queue at the same time you may hit the same game. so you would have to get all your squad leaders in a XMB chat or something to time the queue entry.

or so ive heard....

Didn't see it in the OP but some of the tracks on the soundtrack are played by Apocalyptica's Perttu Kivilaakso (on cello) and Mikko Sirén (on drums). I don't have a PS3 myself, but was interested to hear the band had contributed to the game, plus I don't think a lot of you would have realised it was a cello and drums you were listening to at times.

Here is what I be on about.

Anton668

Played a few tonight and didnt have a problem.

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN: if you are in the market for a new controller and stumble across the "Shadow Six" controller by Dreamgear.... DONT BUY IT!!! Worthless piece of shit!!

Anyone else having trouble getting into a game? I played a couple matches no problem just now. Now when I join a game it's either insanely lagged and then I get booted, or my PS3 totally hard locks a few seconds after I join a match =/

peetfeet

Just want to say a belated thanks to FFO and Lince and the other SVER bretheren for the games last night, I actually finished 4 games without it crapping out on me! Its been a nightmare since monday re:connections, was fine the thursday to sunday before, go figure.

I read last night on the MAG Forum a post from one of the Zipper guys saying that there are multiple servers around the world that host the games. It basically works by looking at the location of all the players in the game and hosting in the country that has the majority of players IE if 45% are in Europe, 20% in Japan and 35% in US then the server will be a European one. So possibly this has some bearing with the lag and dc's I've been getting lately... but then again....

Cya later chaps, tally ho.

bluegoon

Neo Member
Question: Has anyone checked MAG's bandwidth consumption per hour? Also, does playing a 256 host strong game rely strongly on having a huge broadband connection? Only got 384Kbps here.

Thanks.

For the first hour or so I was regretting my purchase, but after 6 hours flew by im hooked. Who do I contact around here to join up with gaf sver?

zugzug

chubigans said:

I now love this game.

ok that totally sounds like a fraps moment to relive.

Edit: what Im'm trying to say is sounds awesome great job :p

uraldix

Lagspike_exe said:
Yeah, online is crashing for me this entire morning.

The message on the beginning screen states that server maintenance occurs between 5-7 am EST daily. Could be due to that.

Lagspike_exe said:
Played a domi round with GAF, I believe we owned Valor really hard. :lol

Also, I'm playing with SVER and I'm not noticing any strange imbalancing issues. If I had to guess my win/defeat ratio without looking at stats, I'd probably say 50/50.

I am at about 70% win for both attacking and defending. When playing with GAF, I would guess that we win 90% of the time. I can only think of a couple of times that we actually lost.
That being said, it doesn't seem like Raven/Valor unleash coordinated attacks very often. 1 or 2 guys attack, get killed and there is no one there to rez them or back them up. With GAF SVER, everyone stays relatively close together and are constantly getting each other up and attacking/defending in groups. Makes a huge difference. I am looking forward to switching factions at some point and getting the perspective from the other side.

wud

Neo Member
Just got the game, seems good but as soon as I grouped up with a friend, the start of the match I just played was reaaaaaaally laggy and our headsets were working, but it was delayed. Like I said something and he heard it 5 minutes afterwards -- it sorted itself out but then it happened again. Help?

andycapps

wud said:
Just got the game, seems good but as soon as I grouped up with a friend, the start of the match I just played was reaaaaaaally laggy and our headsets were working, but it was delayed. Like I said something and he heard it 5 minutes afterwards -- it sorted itself out but then it happened again. Help?

Were the people you were playing with from your region? In other words, you're from America and they're from Europe or vice versa? The game will setup servers for whatever region the majority of the players are from, so you may be suffering some lag due to that. Or it could be your connection..

trk_rkd

Banned
Oh god reading this thread makes me remember how much fun i had in the beta. please don't make me buy this game gaf, i'm so fucking time poor...

theBishop said:
I think it's fair to dock the graphics. Even if you're happy with the overall rendering technology, the art style is a bit bland and often grainy. I disagree on the sound though. The surround mixing for this game is really wonderful. Sometimes I'm surprised that other people in my squad are only getting stereo, it's like we're playing a different game... together.

The game in general looks good, but it is kinda "stiff".... I guess thats how I would describe it. Lot of the visuals are kinda meh like how at a distance explosions and smoke is pixelated like it was in Resistance 2. Fire effects are pretty bad, explosions in general look weak. The animation on stuff such as the weapons is very bland compared to what we are seeing from other shooters..... it's alot of little things that just aren't that great looking that kind of pull down the visual presentation. For a game on a console though I think it's pretty impressive though for the scale they have with minor slowdown or lag issues.

Billen

Banned
trk_rkd said:
Oh god reading this thread makes me remember how much fun i had in the beta. please don't make me buy this game gaf, i'm so fucking time poor...

Sell another game. Buy this. It's worth it.

I love this game. :D

Liberty4all

Banned
Somebody at PA did a good write up for new players to help them understand what the hell is going on. I added it to the OP over there, might want to do the same thing here:

Stabbity Style said:
Your In Game Objectives AKA Understanding What The Hell is Going On (thanks Stabbity STYLE)

Assets
This information is about assets, which provide benefits for the defenders. They are found in Aquisition and Domination game modes.

Bunker: The bunker is one of the most important assets in the game. When defending, the bunker is your initial spawn point. They are the front line of defense and holding these is usually your top priority. There are four bunkers per front with one per squad, meaning a platoon covers an entire front. We have come up with shorthand for the bunkers, with them being numbered from left to right along the front (with the perspective of left/right/front/back being of the bunker/front). The two middle bunkers cover the gate (more on that in a second) while the outer bunkers generally cover infantry trying to pierce the front from the sides. The bunkers provides a turret, which can be manned and is very effective at suppressing the enemy and routing their paths to cover. Additionally, the bunker has rockets that are good at taking down armor, but the 2 rockets that it shoots before reloading aren't enough to take out an APC, so either another bunker or infantry with rockets/mines need to assist in taking them out. The bunker also provides a supply point, which you can use by entering the bunker on the right side.

Gate: There are two types of gates: Main gates and Infantry gates. The main gate is found in between bunkers 2 and 3 in the middle of the front. On Acquisition maps, the main gate is how you get the transport out of the defenders base. Attackers often try to bring an APC forward down the middle road to try and blow the main gate during the initial offence to breach the front and gain access to the base. This only really works if the attackers have already destroyed some of the bunkers or the defenders are doing a poor job of defending. When attacking, we generally avoid the gate until around the time we take down the AA (more on that in a bit). The other type of gate is the Infantry gate, which is found on Domination maps. Infantry gates block the attacker's path to the control points on Domination maps. Keeping these up prevents the attackers from gaining an easier entry to the point, but is generally a lot harder to keep up than the main gate because with the gates up there is no close exit to get out and defuse charges. Overall, the Infantry gate is a much lower priority asset than the main gate, but is still good to maintain.

Anti-Aircraft: The Anti-Aircraft battery (known as AA or triple-A) is right up there with the bunkers as a high priority asset. If the AA goes down, the attackers get a new forward spawn behind the defenders front line in the form of either parachuting or a helicopter. This effectively passes the bunkers (though the forward bunkers still allow the defenders to spawn forward and the turrets can take out parachuter's and the helicopters). There are usually a lot of attempts at infiltration behind the front line to take it out since even if you don't keep the forward spawn up for long, the more attackers behind the front line you can get, the more damage you can do to the enemy either in taking out assets or flanking the bunkers from behind. Since it can cause such havoc with the defenders, both sides need to keep an eye on it. Bunkers 2 and 3 are closest (since it's situated just a bit behind the main gate) and keeping an eye on it usually falls to them, but since you never really can tell who's competent on your team it's good to have someone on your squad available to get over there at any sign of trouble. Additionally, AA also prevents the attackers from calling in air strikes and UAV's. This provides an additional incentive for both sides. Any plane-based command ability (Squad Leader's UAV and Cluster Bombs, Platoon Leader's Precision Strike and Strafing Run) will be shot out of the air before carrying out their mission. Also, if you're calling in a Strike on another platoon's front (side of the map), their triple A needs to be downed.

Artillery: The Artillery, also known as the Mortar, is used by squad/platoon leaders for calling in bombardments. Taking this out means the defender can't call in strikes on your position, which is very useful. After taking out the bunkers and AA, this is generally the first asset we go for. While not quite as game changing as the AA or Bunker, it's still good to have up. Generally if someone has taken it down and the squad can spare a man, dispatching someone to fix it is a good idea.

Sensor Array: The platoon leader can call in a sensor sweep which I believe works the same way as a UAV (not sure, haven't actually used it before). Anyway, it's useful to keep up and the same rule for repair as Artillery applies here.

Motor Pool: The Motor Pool spawns transport vehicles, all of which have turrets. There are a number of uses the transports have, which I'll elaborate on. The first is blocking paths, such as putting two together on the main road to block an APC coming far behind our lines after the Main Gate is blown. They can also block the infantry entrances to the base behind the bunkers, which some squads choose to do. Another job is enemy harassment, since all transports have turrets on them. While not as durable as APC's, they come in handy once the enemy has broken through the defenses front line. They allow you to take out moderate amounts of enemies and draw their resources into fighting the transport instead of the proper assets that you're trying to defend. Since the Motor Pool is by the defenses rear spawn, destroying it after the front line has been destroyed is very difficult. The best two ways to take it out are either going behind their lines while the front line is still up or calling in a precision strike as Platoon leader after the AA is down. Priority on repairing it after being destroyed is fairly low when the front line is still active, so I'd recommend repairing it only if the Sensor Array or Artillery are down as well. However, if the front line is down, the Motor Pool becomes a lot more useful and should be given more priority, especially since it's so close to spawn.

Burn-Off and Cooling Towers: The Burn-Off and Cooling Towers are only found in the Domination game mode and are the main objectives before the capture points become active (more on that in a bit). The Burn-Off Towers are found in front of the main line of defense. However, with the bunkers still up capturing the Burn-Off Towers is pretty tricky. We generally try to take out the bunkers before going on the Burn-Off Tower (or get the Tower while the bunker is distracted by an assault). The Cooling Tower is found between the front line and the capture points and usually go down pretty quickly if the bunkers are already down. Your best bet at defending them is with your bunkers still up, but if they're not, you're pretty screwed. If you still have the bunkers up, you should send a man or two down to the tower that your half of the platoon is covering (there is a tower on the left and a tower on the right and the squads on the corresponding side generally cover their tower). Both towers need to be captured simultaniously (ie the attackers need to be in possession of both towers) in order to move on, which means that either your squad needs to cover both towers, part of your squad needs to harass the enemy at the other tower, or you hold your tower well and hope the other squads aren't a bunch of silly geese.

Capture Points: Also only found in the Domination game mode, Capture Points are labeled A through H. There are two points per platoon (much like the Burn-Off and Cooling Towers). The Capture Points are locked until the Burn-Off and Cooling Towers on that front are taken, so that the attackers can't sneak past your line and take the point. The points are pretty close to the defender's rear spawn, so defending them is relatively easy. The Infantry Gates I mentioned before are in front of these Points and help stall the enemies advance. Once at the Capture Points, there are a number of things going on. The defenders are going to try and get some of their assets up, which are in front of the Capture Points and by this point in attacker territory. They're also going to try and send a man or two to try and stealthily repair the bunkers and AA, though the main force of the squad should be focused on controlling the point.

Roadblock: Roadblocks are pretty ancillary, but they help you a bit. Mainly used on Acquisition (can't remember if they're on Domination as well), they block the path of the transport that is being defended. Keeping these up slows down the attackers as they try and leave with the transport. Their value for repair is dependent on how close you feel the enemy is to getting your transport.

Prototype Transport: The Prototype Transport, also known as the transport (not to be confused with the transport from the motor pool) is the main objective for the attackers in the Acquisition game mode. These are pretty fragile, so getting one out needs the bunkers down (at least the ones by the main gate). You'll also need the main gate down, and taking down some roadblocks wouldn't hurt. Getting in a position to get the transport out safely requires a lot of teamwork and coordination.

Bridge: A lot less common, it's sort of like a reverse roadblock. The defenders want the bridges blown so the enemy can't bring anything across them and the attackers want to repair it. Around the same priority as the roadblock on Acquisition maps. There is one on the SVER Domination map on one of the fronts that has a lot higher priority since it basically acts as a secondary main gate in front of the line, but keeping it down requires a lot of coordination.

All right, that's basically it for assets. The squad leader should have a good idea about how all of these play together and can issue orders accordingly. Hope this has been helpful.

It seems to me that players are getting better, at least more people seem to know whats going on. Just doing games with nothing but pugs, I've been getting in good teams with good commanders, constantly updating FRAGO, giving orders, hoarding together etc.

Liberty4all

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
It seems that Raven players are boycotting Domination :lol

Last I checked earlier there was close to 3k SVER players playing Domination and only around 900 Raven playing. Though Raven is all over in large numbers in Acquisition :lol Which they seem to be currently winning at too. "hey we can usually win our Acquisition maps, lets go play that instead".

This does not bode well for game longevity if it keeps up. PMC's just will gravitate their populations towards the modes in which they win the most in.

Yeah I've noticed this too.

I think that we're just tired of always losing on our (Raven) Domination map. Whenever that maps comes up you basically hear all 8 squad members groan. I think defending Raven Domination is even harder to win that attacking SVER's domination.

Acquisition for us is just so much more fun for most of us, knowing the odds are fairly even (maybe even skewed abit in our favour)

Bamelin said:

I think that we're just tired of always losing on our (Raven) Domination map. Whenever that maps comes up you basically hear all 8 squad members groan. I think defending Raven Domination is even harder to win that attacking SVER's domination.

Acquisition for us is just so much more fun for most of us, knowing the odds are fairly even (maybe even skewed abit in our favour)

Well from last night it sees most Raven are just not playing Domination anymore. Like I said earlier last night Raven had around 900 players only playing Domination while SVER and Valor had almost 3k playing the mode, yet Raven had tons of players playing Aquisition :lol

The Raven players seem to note the suck of the Domination maps and are just going towards the mode that they seem to win at.

Wes

venison crêpe
TheFatOne said:
Has anyone figured out a way to attack SVER on acquisition or domination?

The best way I've found so far is to double stack squads on one bunker and then move across.

So say for instance you're squad is spawned with the general purpose of attacking the right hand side, instead attack the far left.

You'll outnumber their squad 2-1 and as soon as that bunker is down you then have two advantages:
- 3 sver squads defending vs 4 attacking.
- the next bunker is right next to their AAA they have to defend two objectives with less people.

I think this is why there are platoons chats and such. So you can tell people to stack all on one bunker rather than duking it out 8 v 8 all the time.

Only SVER (and Valor on Raven's domination map) can get away attacking 8 v 8 and still annihilate you.

Fixed1979

So for the first time last night I picked up an enemies weapon, it was also my first time using the LMG with a foregrip and a reflex site. Goddamn it's easy to get kills with that thing, I don't know if I can put off respecing much longer, the difference is night at day.

Fixed1979

BattleMonkey said:
It seems to me that players are getting better, at least more people seem to know whats going on. Just doing games with nothing but pugs, I've been getting in good teams with good commanders, constantly updating FRAGO, giving orders, hoarding together etc.

It's definately getting better, but there's still a lot of players who just don't get it. I only got in a couple games last night, on the sabotage Sver map we had our spawn closest to 'B', the frago was set to 'B' yet as soon as the game started 2-3 members of our squad said they're going to 'A', and there they stayed for the entire game.

Violater

Bamelin said:

Begin Rambling Rant
You guys just don't know how to cover your bases, plain and simple.
I have gone up against some raven squads that totally shut our offense down.

For example, everyone runs out to defend the towers, no one stays to defend the bunkers, as the offense has evolved the defense has not.

Step up your game, really no claymores on your bunker?

I remember the AAA used to be such a pain in the dick to take down, now before I even frago it Boom its gone.

Each bunker is placed to cover a specific task, generally 1/2 the squad covers the towers and the other 1/2 swings between the defensive emplacements and the bunkers.

More and more I realize that waiting till SVER GAF levels up and is ready to switch to another faction is the best move.

/Rambling Rant

Wes said:
Only SVER (and Valor on Raven's domination map) can get away attacking 8 v 8 and still annihilate you.

Again this is such BS, no one squad should be able to go up against another competent squad THAT HAS A BUNKER and take it down. If this is happening then the defending squad is doing something wrong, I don't care which faction.
Sometimes the wrong frigging person gets up on the turret and screws things up for everyone. For instance they keep focused on one area instead of constantly scanning the battlefield.

ibu

Cagen and Rick808 just straight up disappeared then, I had the countdown to redeploy going on and on for like 5 minutes.

Had to exit out of that.

Apart from the kickouts etc. I really am enjoying the experience and have concentrated on upgrading my resuscitation and medic abilities.

Next up health increase and better weapons.

TheFatOne

Violater said:
Begin Rambling Rant
You guys just don't know how to cover your bases, plain and simple.
I have gone up against some raven squads that totally shut our offense down.

For example, everyone runs out to defend the towers, no one stays to defend the bunkers, as the offense has evolved the defense has not.

Step up your game, really no claymores on your bunker?

I remember the AAA used to be such a pain in the dick to take down, now before I even frago it Boom its gone.

Each bunker is placed to cover a specific task, generally 1/2 the squad covers the towers and the other 1/2 swings between the defensive emplacements and the bunkers.

More and more I realize that waiting till SVER GAF levels up and is ready to switch to another faction is the best move.

/Rambling Rant

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol Let me guess SVER GAF :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Top Bottom