• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February 2016 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes March 8th

Javin98

Banned
Sorry to ruin your safe prediction Welfare, but I do agree with you.
Thanks, Chobel, now my bold prediction will come true! :p

kPjjIsL.jpg

Not sure that's gonna happen mate. It's definitely bold though I'll give you that. I've no doubt it will absolutely curb stomp Halos first month sales WW but doing that in Murrica aka shooter land would be a different story altogether.
Just to clarify again, I was referring to retail only without bundles. I don't think it's a stretch to think that Uncharted 4 will open at ~950K in May. It does have three weeks of tracking after all.

Loris146

November is much bigger sales month than May. We shall see but I think it's pretty doubtful.

True but at the same time there is a lot of competition. In November 2011 U3 charted 7* in the cumulative chart. There were heavy hitters like Cod MW 3 , Skyrim and AC Revelations.

Software:
(Physical retail copies only.)

1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360, PS3, WII, PC)** Activision Blizzard 8.99 million (Less than 100K on Wii, even less on PC Retail)
2. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (360, PS3, PC)** Bethesda Softworks - 2.8 million
3. Battlefield 3 (360, PS3, PC)** Electronic Arts
4. Assassin's Creed: Revelations (360, PS3, PC) Ubisoft - ~1.26 million
5. Just Dance 3 (Wii, 360) Ubisoft
6. Madden NFL 12 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PS2)** Electronic Arts
7. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS3)** Sony - 700k
8. Saints Row: The Third (360, PS3, PC)** THQ
9. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (WII) ** Nintendo
10. Batman: Arkham City (360, PS3, PC)** Warner Bros. Interactive

Anyway it will be interesting to see :)

Bgamer90

Banned
Unless XBO gets a price cut in April, PS4 will win easy. March in the other hand will be interesting (The Division bundle + 1st week sales of new QB bundle)

QB bundle will be released in March.

Yeah, I keep forgetting that the bundle will release early so people can download the game. I could see a March Xbox win by a nose due to pre-order build-up.

ethomaz

Banned
My top 10 prediction...

Far Cry Primal
Fire Emblem Fates
Street Fighter V
Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
Grand Theft Auto 5
NBA 2K16
Star Wars Battlefront 2015
Fallout 4
Minecraft
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3

Edit - Yeap Naruto out.

Edit 2 - Naruto in again Siege out :p

sense

i am positive uncharted 4 will beat halo 5 npd of 935k(i know this includes bundles) in its launch month

RexNovis

Banned
My top 10 prediction...

Far Cry Primal
Fire Emblem Fates
Street Fighter V
Grand Theft Auto 5
NBA 2K16
Fallout 4
Minecraft
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege

Edit - Yeap Naruto out.

I dont see Cyber Sleuth here.
Clearly you have made a mistake.

Please God, let the Digimans win one for the team

My top 10 prediction...

Far Cry Primal
Fire Emblem Fates
Street Fighter V
Grand Theft Auto 5
NBA 2K16
Fallout 4
Minecraft
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege

Edit - Yeap Naruto out.
U don't think naruto will chart? Hmm I figured it would

ethomaz

Banned
U don't think naruto will chart? Hmm I figured it would
Yeap... I checked and Naruto 3 charted in last place.

1. Bioshock Infinite (360, PS3, PC)** Take 2 Interactive - 878K
2. Tomb Raider 2013 (360, PS3)** Square Enix Inc - Franchise high.
3. Gears of War: Judgement (360) Microsoft
4. God of War: Ascension (PS3)** Sony
5. Call of Duty: Black Ops II (360, PS3, PC, NWU)** Activision Blizzard
6. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS) Nintendo - 365K (415K with digital, but the 415K number is an LTD)
7. MLB 13: The Show (PS3, PSV) Sony
8. NBA 2K13 (360, PS3, WII, NWU, PSP, PC)** Take 2 Interactive
9. The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct (360, PS3, NWU) Activision Blizzard
10. Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 (360, PS3) Namco Bandai Games

I'm not sure.

I dont see Cyber Sleuth here.

Clearly you have made a mistake.

Please God, let the Digimans win one for the team
I put Naruto out and it has better chance than Digimon.

Sorry I want to be wrong.

Edit - I put Naruto in again :D

Hawkens

My bold prediction is that Uncharted 4 will have the highest opening month of any Sony Published game ever. (Disk based games only, no bundles)

Notable Sony Opening Months

God of war 3-1100k
The Last of Us - 985k
God of War 2 - 833k
Uncharted 3 - 700k
Gran Turismo 3 - 720k with bundles
God of War Asension - 633k with bundles
Gran Turismo 4 - 620k

Honestly so long as the game has a metacritic score above 90, I would even say that it is a safe prediction. Especially if you compare it to what headlining Microsoft and Nintendo software did in their opening months.

ethomaz

Banned
Same as last month with fire emblem at 5 and FC:primal around 6 or 7. Sfv failed. Ps4 top selling and Xbox second.
You be surprised how good Fire Emblem and FC: Primal sold I believe :D

If NPD puts FE together it could be first but if they use two positions then I guess it will be on middle.

Okay, bold predictions.

Cyber Sloth will chart

Minecraft will not chart (it has to stop one day)

PS4 will outsell XB1 2:1

We will have a PacMan pie, even if 3DS is included

MS PR statement will mention Rocket League and Gears of War

No GAF user will get banned in the prediction thread

Street Fighter will be 5th or worse

Ethomaz will make an incremental update to his avatar and finally take off his christmas hat

RexNovis

Banned
Okay, bold predictions.

:D

Cyber Sloth will chart

<3

Minecraft will not chart (it has to stop one day)

It will stop when no man's sky takes its place.

PS4 will outsell XB1 2:1

Wow what do you reckon they'll sell then? I'm thinking PS4 will be ~400k so that's mean XB1 would have to be 200k which seems a bit low to me TBH.

We will have a PacMan pie, even if 3DS is included

So basically PS4 will absolutely dominate then. I could certainly see it with over 50%.

MS PR statement will mention Rocket League and Gears of War

I'm hoping for cars demolished and goals scored myself.

No GAF user will get banned in the prediction thread

Now that is bold but given the snails pace these threads have been moving at I could see it happening.

Street Fighter will be 5th or worse

Yea that's pretty much guaranteed at this point. It might not even chart :(

Ethomaz will make an incremental update to his avatar and finally take off his christmas hat

Let's not go crazy now!

Wow what do you reckon they'll sell then? I'm thinking PS4 will be ~400k so that's mean XB1 would have to be 200k which seems a bit low to me TBH.

So basically PS4 will absolutely dominate then. I could certainly see it with over 50%.!
PS4 over 50% is doable, 2:1 is, too.
Xbox had nothing spectacular on the exclusive side, WiiU is dead, 3DS not much better.
PS4 had Street Fighter (a flop in Software sales, but could convince fans to jump into this gen) plus two great exclusive indies in Witness end january and FireWatch. I know these are no huge sales drivers, but they keep the console in the media and the momentum running.
And of course we had the CrapgamerGate, scaring off dozens of honest consumers from purchasing an XboxOne.
Not so bold prediction: Street Fighter V won't chart.
Nah, that's too harsh.

RexNovis

Banned
PS4 over 50% is doable, 2:1 is, too.
Xbox had nothing spectacular on the exclusive side, WiiU is dead, 3DS not much better.
PS4 had Street Fighter (a flop in Software sales, but could convince fans to jump into this gen) plus two great exclusive indies in Witness end january and FireWatch. I know these are no huge sales drivers, but they keep the console in the media and the momentum running.
And of course we had the CrapgamerGate, scaring off dozens of honest consumers from purchasing an XboxOne.

The bolded got me good.

I really dont see Firewatch and The Witness as hardware movers at all. Especially since neither were Retail titles (unless I'm mistaken?). These are titles that would mostly appeal to the core base that has already purchased a console. As far as Street Fighter goes... I think it has been absolutely bloodied by horrible WoM at this point which is a shame but I also think that it is partially their own fault for

• not marketing well enough to introduce consumers to the new game as a platform strategy they are taking with the game

• releasing it too early because they wanted the boon for their esport cup and their financial statement.

THe fighting community has known that SFV will be PS/PC exclusive for a long while now. I just dont see them pushing substantial numbers. Im sure many have already picked up their console knowing that it was the only one that would play SFV.

But hey thats just my gut feeling on it. I could, of course, completely wrong.
I usually am tbh. T_T

With Pokemon, they separate the versions in the Top 10, but with 3 versions, I think NPD will just combine all of FEF into one.

So you think they'll combine them just because there are three versions despite them being listed as separate SKUs at retail? Nah. I doubt that.

I really dont see Firewatch and The Witness as hardware movers at all. Especially since neither were Retail titles (unless I'm mistaken?). These are titles that would mostly appeal to the core base that has already purchased a console.
I think awareness and presence in the media is an important point for these downloadable indies.if you hear about games being exclusive for one console, and in the meantime nothing about the other it creates the image that one has all the games and One not.

RexNovis

Banned
I think awareness and presence in the media is an important point for these downloadable indies.if you hear about games being exclusive for one console, and in the meantime nothing about the other it creates the image that one has all the games and One not.

Maybe in the long term when the next holiday season roles around they'll remember these sort of exclusives but I'm not really in agreement in their immediate appeal for would be purchasers.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
So, hemm, i guess the 90% digital sales is not legit anymore for Street Fighter?

Unless the others games have 99% digital ratio of course

Jigorath

Banned
I think Naruto will do really well. And with Xenoverse's surprise success last year, Bamco is really on a roll with their anime fighting games. In fact they should just make Naruto X DBZ already.

I wonder if any rumours about incremental Xboxes will influence sales numbers. Not now of course, but if the plot thickens people could hold back purchases.
Fun thing is, we have no idea when, how and even if this will happen.
A few days ago I would have thought we will not see a next xbox-console at all. Now we might get one every other year...

Bgamer90

Banned
I wonder if any rumours about incremental Xboxes will influence sales numbers. Not now of course, but if the plot thickens people could hold back purchases.

I don't think there would be a real difference in this vs. what happened in the past with rumors of a (typical) slim model; Especially if the "Xbox One.5" will share the exact same games as the original Xbox One.

Bgamer90

Banned
(Continuation of discussion on page 51 of the January results thread.)

I mean move away from the Xbox name for the hardware that's going to be refreshed over & over again because the multi media consumers will be the people who will be going out to buy new products for the upgrades not the gamers. They can go beyond Xbox while still selling the Xbox games.

I still don't think this would be smart as the upgrades would be seen in the games and gaming features. Therefore, new models would more than likely attract both groups; People who like the latest devices/tech and people who are big gamers.

Keeping the Xbox name for each new model would give attention to the brand and help make it stay relevant in my opinion.

I don't think there would be a real difference in this vs. what happened in the past with rumors of a (typical) slim model; Especially if the "Xbox One.5" will share the exact same games as the original Xbox One.
Rumours of a more powerful model that might be on par or surpass PS4 should make much bigger waves than a simple slim version in my opinion.

Oh, and thanks for moving over, Bgamer90.

Bgamer90

Banned
Rumours of a more powerful model that might be on par or surpass PS4 should make much bigger waves than a simple slim version in my opinion.

It would but I don't think it would have a huge impact on console sales if these rumors wouldn't get going until (say) late April/May with the new model being released during June after a showing at E3.

Also, I would think the sales during the first month of the new model's launch would make up any previously lost sales of the older model due to rumors anyway.

Oh, and thanks for moving over, Bgamer90.

Yep, no problem.

Top Bottom