• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February 2016 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes March 8th

RexNovis

Banned
A publisher should always have the right to intervene. But of course we don't know, maybe they expressed concern, but Capcom ignored them. It's a pity.

Indeed it is a shame. Especially given the excellent fighting mechanics. I just hope it doesn't lead to Capcom cutting back on future support for the game...

That's not what I said..at all. people are putting words in my mouth...it's a missed opportunity yes, but not a HUGE mistake for sony is all is said.

"Huge" in itself is meaningless on its own. There's no context here, and "huge" to one person may mean something different than "huge" to another.

Is it 599 US Dollars? No. Is it Vita? No. So, sure, this is a much smaller gaffe than some others. Is this range your definition of "huge" and why this doesn't rate as such?

Oh come on dude. Seriously? You're going to respond with not only a definition of huge but the wikipedia? Really?

"Huge" is both contextual and subjective. What cosmic said is 100% true.

It's a silly question....people generally know what huge means. It should not need to be elaborated on. Also do people really think this would have sold a lot more if it had more SP content? That's an assumption, it may just be in decline period. Huge would be major repercussions, I don't see it with this at all. It's a screw up no one is denying that, really surprised at the responses over a harmless comment.

RexNovis

Banned
It's a silly question....people generally know what huge means. It should not need to be elaborated on. Also do people really think this would have sold a lot more if it had more SP content? That's an assumption, it may just be in decline period. Huge would be major repercussions, I don't see it with this at all.

Absolofuckinglutely it would have. If it had content people expected in release we would have seen significantly better critical reception which would have meant significantly better sales thanks to the lack of negative sentiment created by historically low scores for the series.

Would it have sold CoD numbers? No of course not. But sure as hell would have sold better than the piss poor showing its managing currently.

Absolofuckinglutely it would have. If it had content people expected in release we would have seen significantly better critical reception which would have meant significantly better sakes thanks to the lack of negative sentiment created by historically low scores for the series.

How much though? Don;t think it's as much a difference as some think.

It's a silly question....people generally know what huge means. It should not need to be elaborated on. Also do people really think this would have sold a lot more if it had more SP content? That's an assumption, it may just be in decline period. Huge would be major repercussions, I don't see it with this at all. It's a screw up no one is denying that, really surprised at the responses over a harmless comment.
It definitely would have sold better yes however i agree with your original statement about this not being a big deal for the ps4, capcom on the otherhand..im upset about

Hey, so, as a community we are very welcoming of new voices. Love it. But in order for all of us to have a meaningful conversation, it's helpful to have an idea of how people contextualize their statements.

It was a very honest question I asked you, in order to get you to elaborate on your comment and so I could get a better understanding of what you were trying to say.

If you're not willing to help those who are interested in what you're saying better understand you, then why make the comment in the first place?

Hey, so, as a community we are very welcoming of new voices. Love it. But in order for all of us to have a meaningful conversation, it's helpful to have an idea of how people contextualize their statements.

It was a very honest question I asked you, in order to get you to elaborate on your comment and so I could get a better understanding of what you were trying to say.

If you're not willing to help those who are interested in what you're saying better understand you, then why make the comment in the first place?

As I said..something being a HUGE deal should not need to be elaborated on..huge would mean big repercussions, in the long run I don't see this at all, and people are jumping the gun, lets see how it does when the new content comes out and they re-release it with all the extra content.

RexNovis

Banned
How much though? Don;t think it's as much a difference as some think.

Based on what exactly? Here's what we know SFV has performed less than half as well as would be expected for a new title in the franchise. Why is that? Is it because the gameplay isn't good? Hell no it's fantastic. Ok so what else could it be? Well hmm this is the first SF game to release without an arcade mode. It's also the first game to be released with the caveat of modes unavailable at release to be added in the future. Sooo yea. I think the sparse single player content for non core fighting gamers hurt the series significantly because let's face it the vast majority of games sold for the series were to casuals not competitive players.

Based on what exactly? Here's what we know SFV has performed less than half as well as would be expected for a new title in the franchise. Why is that? Is it because the gameplay isn't good? Hell no it's fantastic. Ok so what else could it be? Well hmm this is the first SF game to release without an arcade mode. It's also the first game to be released with the caveat of modes unavailable at release to be added in the future. Sooo yea. I think the sparse single player content for non core fighting gamers hurt the series significantly because let's face it the vast majority of games sold for the series were to casuals not competitive players.

Would casuals even know about the lack of SP? Maybe they expect to get those sales back over time with new content and re-releases.

RexNovis

Banned
As I said..something being a HUGE deal should not need to be elaborated on..huge would mean big repercussions, in the long run I don't see this at all, and people are jumping the gun, lets see how it does when the new content comes out and they re-release it with all the extra content.

If you think Capcom seeing SF bomb isn't going to cause some serious fallout for the series and for Capcom itself you are sorely mistaken. I only hope they don't cut future content/support for the game as a result but in all honesty it's pretty much guaranteed.

With the financial situation Capcom using they are playing things incredibly safe with little to no new development happening so when one of their cornerstone franchises significantly underperform on top of their current shaky standing that's danger zone territory IMO.

Welfare

I mean, yeah, SFV has no bearing on the PS4's success. Capcom rushed the release for their competitive crowd/EVO, and because of it the game's success with the casual crowd has suffered.

It's on Capcom for SFV's sales failure.

I mean, yeah, SFV has no bearing on the PS4's success. Capcom rushed the release for their competitive crowd/EVO, and because of it the game's success with the casual crowd has suffered.

This is what I tried to say but failed horribly at lol.

If you think Capcom seeing SF bomb isn't going to cause some serious fallout for the series and for Capcom itself you are sorely mistaken. I only hope they don't cut future content/support for the game as a result but in all honesty it's pretty much guaranteed.

With the financial situation Capcom using they are playing things incredibly safe with little to no new development happening so when one of their cornerstone franchises significantly underperform on top of their current shaky standing that's danger zone territory IMO.

I never said anything like this at all.......I said it was not on Sony or a huge deal for sony..not Capcom or SFV. It's on Capcom.

This is Sony's first really huge mistake this gen. Even if the decision was Capcom's, Sony should have known better and stopped this nonsense.
This is what the guy was responding to he never said capcom at all. I agree with him

I never said anything like this at all.......I said it was not on Sony or a huge deal for sony..not Capcom or SFV. It's on Capcom.
Nah you made it pretty clear perhaps some misunderstood you.

RexNovis

Banned
Would casuals even know about the lack of SP? Maybe they expect to get those sales back over time with new content and re-releases.

When every single review states a severe lack of content and when WOM is basically toxic absolutely. WOM is powerful. If your WOM is bad expect sales to suffer. If it's good expect sales to excel. Many of these "casuals" defer to the advice and expertise of others before they make their purchases so when that is overwhelmingly negative it's going to heavily impede sales.

ps3ud0

Hmm maybe Im tying up independent events but I really hope Sony paid attention to whats happened with SFV and look to ensure its other exclusives are far more polished at launch - perhaps the hiccup delay in UC4 could be proof of that?

ps3ud0 8)

RexNovis

Banned

Agreed. I seriously doubt Sony had much if any role to play in how things were handled as far as release date and whatnot. It seems to be entirely in Capcom's court and falls in line with their desperation mode. Basically Capcom is Tommy boy with a sale

Hmm maybe Im tying up independent events but I really hope Sony paid attention to whats happened with SFV and look to ensure its other exclusives are far more polished at launch - perhaps the hiccup delay in UC4 could be proof of that?

ps3ud0 8)
Eh idk i never felt any of Sony's big releases lacked content especially not on the level of sfv

While I agree that WOM can be incredibly toxic to a game like SFV, the UK sales had a baseline that was already incredibly low.

I have no doubt that the lack of content hurt the titles legs and sales. But I'm not entirely convinced that 1 day of reviews looks at the entire picture for its pitiful debut.

RexNovis

Banned

This is what the guy was responding to he never said capcom at all. I agree with him

Nah you made it pretty clear perhaps some misunderstood you.

Fair enough. I think it certainly falls under "big" or "huge" mistake for Capcom but I agree that for Sony it's not a particularly big deal.

But for future reference please avoid linking to definitions as a response especially Wikipedia definitions. It's just a horrible horrible way to respond to people. Especially when they are asking you a perfectly reasonable question.

RexNovis

Banned
While I agree that WOM can be incredibly toxic to a game like SFV, the UK sales had a baseline that was already incredibly low.

I have no doubt that the lack of content hurt the titles legs and sales. But I'm not entirely convinced that 1 day of reviews looks at the entire picture for its pitiful debut.

Let me pretend it is... Plz. I don't wanna deal with the other possibilities it implies T_T shit is depressing.

Edit: sorry double post.

ps3ud0 8)

I think they learned that lesson watching all the botched releases other publishers have had this generation.

Expect Sony to delay their first party creations until they and the relevant studio are satisfied with the level of polish.

You can thank the lack of good marketing for that .
Then again when your game so content empty they don't have much to market .
I knew people that were piss when they heard that story mode was not coming till June .
Just a week before launch .

RexNovis

Banned
This is the darkest time-line. You better prepare yourself.

T-T

il_570xN.886849489_lrk5.jpg

Hey thanks for expanding on your comment.

So... While I also don't think SF5 hurt PS4 sales a bunch, does that also imply that had SF5 been a bigger seller it would not have helped PS4 sales?

Are we seeing further potential evidence of exclusives not mattering as much this gen??

So... While I also don't think SF5 hurt PS4 sales a bunch, does that also imply that had SF5 been a bigger seller it would not have helped PS4 sales?

Are we seeing further potential evidence of exclusives not mattering as much this gen??
Idk i always was one to think that sfv wouldn't do much for the ps4 hardware sales wise. I mean i guess it gets the ps4 more out there because it will have to be used at the tournaments and so on. As far as exclusiveS go...yea i think the big hardware pushers are definitely third part deals. I wanna say there are exceptions but with what happened with halo i dont even think that's the case anymore

sense

i think people are reading into sf5 too much way too early. it seems like a long play for sony and capcom. it sorta seems like an episodic release with updates each month to keep people engaged, coming back regularly and bring new people over a long period of time. They can sell the base game at a lower price throughout the year as they announce the new content and cash in on dlc and maybe next year just make the base game free to play and go from there. there is a lot of revenue potential if it works. i mean it is pretty clear the game seems like a bare bones release at the moment and i don't see how capcom or sony couldn't have seen the soft reception because of it. whether this long play will work is a different question.

There are only a few exclusives that really move the needle in any decent quantity imo. The problem is how do you quantify it? I know many that got a ps4 knowing Uncharted, Gran Turismo, etc...would eventually come, how do you quantify that? It may not cause a spike at launch but many may have gotten the console in anticipation of those. I am a big baseball fan so I love MLB the show.... I got a ps3 for the show as well...so that is a system seller to me, same with the japanese support PS4 gets. I know many on OS sports also do the same, but you never see a spike when the show launches...Exclusives matter imo, but they don't always show a spike when a game launches, many buy a system knowing that those games will come to that platform. Same with buying an X1 for halo, gears....

People only look at a spike when an exclusive launches to see if it moves the needle, that does not tell the whole story imo.

sense

i am not sure how this can ever be answered

i could have a bought a ps4 months ago knowing sf5 (or any other exclusive) is coming only to ps4. why would these publishers continue to sign up these exclusives/console exclusives/exclusive betas/timed exclusives etc.... if they don't see that it is working. it is a way to differentiate your platform and make it attractive over another

Elandyll

Banned

The release could certainly have been handled better and a 6 months delay would have served the game well, but here it's 100% on Capcom and the need to have the game on shelves for championships and their Fiscal results.

They didn't even get Sony as Publisher apparently, I imagine so they could manage their own release dates and marketing...
Now maybe Sony will do some marketing in June and help launch a new "Ultimate" retail version, behind which they would put some ad $... We'll see.

But yeah, overall not a big deal, as it still is part of the "console exclusive" lineup, and by June it could have a sort of rebirth. I see the title as a slow burner imo (particularly given that the gameplay is pretty much universally praised).

LordRaptor

With the surprise release of Gears for PC I was thinking that this NPDs Xbox One sales might be underperforming, but with the cancellation of Fable Legends I'm thinking they might actually be pretty shocking.

It wasn't just the state of the game at launch that killed SFV. It was also Mortal Kombat.

After MK9 and MKX the broad demo expects a LOT more from their fighting games.

Welfare

This fighting game talk has me wondering if MS would release a retail Killer Instinct with all 3 seasons. They released a disk for Season 1 years ago, but I don't know how well that performed.

It wasn't just the state of the game at launch that killed SFV. It was also Mortal Kombat.

After MK9 and MKX the broad demo expects a LOT more from their fighting games.

This is what I was thinking pre-release, but even I didn't expect SFVs current numbers.

And man, Rare has a lot of pressure on them after that Lionhead closure. 343, Coalition and Turn 10 are all fairly safe due to the studios existing for one purpose but Rare...

I certainly don't want to be them right now.

Top Bottom