• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This was only ever a mobile tech demo.

The PS4 one was based on Elemental.

Oh.
Mmh, I thought this was the controller for the home console. It's still true that it could be a general ARM demo though.

Galava

Better comparisson, cut from the video, the "NX" version looks downgradeda bit with shadows.

T5gj2vU.png

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Really makes me think handheld for this given the demo used. Or it's just an ARM demo. The 800 is a good spec baseline for a handheld.

So... this is the handheld? Or both?

Nintendoooooooooooooo

On the one hand they used a mobile-ish demo for porting UE3 to the Wii U.

On the other hand, if this was for a PS4-like console, I'd expect them to port Elemental instead.

I'm guessing this is either for the handheld or that both the console and the handheld are ARM based, but it's not impossible that this was just the most convenient thing to port with if they're trying to adapt for both a handheld and a console and only want to port one demo to do both.

Volotaire

Not sure if this has been posted yet but the image on the screen is from about 6 seconds into this tech demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=31&v=LMcscM_Hogc

Edit:
4tXwXqP.jpg

Great work. The video's description implies that the engine is optimised for at least devices with Snapdragon 800 with a Adreno 330 GPU in the Nexus 5, which was released 2 and a half years ago. The chip was released 3 years ago.

Of course, Nintendo may be using very customised chips in the NX handheld, which may render this comparison useless to find the 'base specs' of this device.

kankki

Senior Project Lead, NX Hardware Design at Nintendo of Europe
I find it a bit weird why they would be showing the buttons on a tech demo though. But they might be always-on for all I know.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Interesting about the mobile demo. Handheld? That would make sense here.

BiggNife

You can differentiate buttons by feel with good haptics, plus it allows developers to customize controls based on what makes sense in the context of the game. It's certainly more adaptable than trying to cram more and more features onto four face buttons, or getting into complex control schemes with analog stick gestures. You can customize the number of buttons, the layout, and have different feedback settings for different actions. It's certainly not all bad.

It's not all bad, and it's a hell of a lot better than just regular touch screen "buttons," but I still think it's impossible to replicate the feel of a real physical button with it. If people go hands on with it and rave about how good it feels, then I guess I'll at least give it a shot. But I'm not entirely convinced a company that has never used haptic feedback would nail it right off the bat.

georly

Better comparisson, cut from the video, the "NX" version looks downgradeda bit with shadows.

T5gj2vU.png

Well, if this is real, and all it's doing is running the UE4 demo at 62 fps, that's a good sign. If it's playing a video of the UE4 demo, that's sad ;_;

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Maximizing screen space - underneath/around your thumb, palm and fingers.

It makes no sense at all.
Developers would have to create every single game with either a dummy art border around the actual playscreen or go with a huge ultrawide FOV and make sure the outside edges are completely non-essential because otherwise your fingers could be blocking the content. How does it honestly add anything? Putting HUD elements there would equally be annoying as it's outside of the central view and periodically obscured by your hands.

Sounds to me that Nintendo just grabs one idea and just runs with it all the way to the end without ever stopping to go 'why'. The Wii-U is a splendid example. Brimming with potential but completely underutilized in practice.

Fantastic gameplay opportunities such as:
-"Shit, I didn't see that from off-screen projectile because my thumb/palm was covering it!"
-"Damn, I didn't see that enemy sniper in the top right because I was pressing the top right on-screen button!"
-"Where the fuck do we put the minimap now?!"

Nevermind this would make for the worst display method for Nintendo's legacy library ever conceived. You either play with half resolution in a rectangle in the center, or enjoy having all the corners cut off in zoom mode.

Oh and game journoz, you can have a headstart on "Nintendo is cutting corners" headlines in 3,2,1...go!

bachikarn

Not sure if this has been posted yet but the image on the screen is from about 6 seconds into this tech demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=31&v=LMcscM_Hogc

Edit:

Double Edit: A user on the IGN forums spotted this not me
http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/rumor-nintendo-nx-controller-leaked-photos.454729709/page-3

So what's the implication. NX can run UE4 (really shouldn't be surprising in 2016 but Nintendo)

OR

This is a fake and they used this video as their source image.

Vena

On the one hand they used a mobile-ish demo for porting UE3 to the Wii U.

On the other hand, if this was for a PS4-like console, I'd expect them to port Elemental instead.

My only question would be why use UE Mobile to demo a console for what appears to be an ovalized Vita. Even if the console has a more robust ARM I feel like Nintendo/UE would want a more grown-up demo for that.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Why would they be overlaying the GAME where your fingers will be? No, games will be cropped into the center and the outside will be for HUD elements/additional touch buttons, etc.

Which then would likely just lead to developers ignoring the feature entirely, like the Wii-U's display. All these fan theories about the potential, but developers are just going to port their games to the 16:9 center and call it a day.

Which begs the question, why even put in the effort to create a uniquely shaped display at that point. Are the handful of games that'll actually use the entire screen uniquely worth losing the D-pad and face buttons over? This is a solution to a problem that does not exist.

Even if the final version is only somewhat related to this prototype, I'm afraid most devs can't be assed to make use of the malleable-controls concept.

That's not a "lazy devs" knock, it's just apparent for the last few generations that devs aren't really interested in engineering their own control schemes.

Seeing that Unreal tech demo video, it is concerning that the image in the NX photo seems to be stretched out, rather then the 'middle area' being the full screen with the rest being a bigger fov. Like this:

URNMiYk.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom