• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Controller Rumor [Up5: Original was fake, and thus this is too]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I missed out on a lot of the thread but, were there really insiders suggesting this was real? I hope they're banned.

To be honest, I don't remember who implied it was real presuming to be an insider. Rosti wasn't, he clarified in the first thread and in the second one...it was more like WE were assuming his clarification was a hint towards this being real in the first thread.
ShockingAlberto just said he "heard" someone saying it was real. The guy from CIG I suppose was just having fun at this point lol

Also, do we really want the man who made the fake banned? Guys, he literally highlighted the insanity of gaming forums. There were people who thought they guessed correctly the location of the building BY A REFLECTION OF A TREE ON THE SUPPORT OF THE TV SCREEN. DO YOU EVEN UNDERSTAND HOW MENTALLY INSTABLE IS THIS?!? :lol

He deserves to be a mod, an admin, to get a golden statue at the entrance of Evilore's house, or just something to remember him as what he really is: the hero we needed and deserved.

ar4757

Best GAF meltdown drama I've ever seen. The plot twist with the man behind it all being a Gaffer was crazy.

7.8/10 too much press coverage

Seriously though that design is impressive to have made. This thread was insanely popular (1 million views in a few days) so this just goes to show hype for the NX

Not exactly. There are two independent things here the fake pic and the fact that he heard that the controller doesn't have face buttons.

That this is fake, doesn't change the fact that the real controller may lack buttons.
The fact of the matter is that all this news comes after the fake. Why not before? All the sudden NDA is out the window huh?

To be honest, I don't remember who implied it was real presuming to be an insider. Rosti wasn't, he clarified in the first thread and in the second one...it was more like WE were assuming his clarification was a hint towards this being real in the first thread.
ShockingAlberto just said he "heard" someone saying it was real. The guy from CIG I suppose was just having fun at this point lol

Also, do we really want the man who made the fake banned? Guys, he literally highlighted the insanity of gaming forums. There were people who thought they guessed correctly the location of the building BY A REFLECTION OF A TREE ON THE SUPPORT OF THE TV SCREEN. DO YOU EVEN UNDERSTAND HOW MENTALLY INSTABLE IS THIS?!? :lol

He deserves to be a mod, an admin, to get a golden statue at the entrance of Evilore's house, or just something to remember him as what he really is: the hero we needed and deserved.
Honestly, the way Rosti posts nowadays, he keeps his bases covered. His comments could have been taken either way, especially his first one, and the subsequent comments conveniently gave him an out. I'm not saying he's lying, but I haven't really been able to appreciate his posting style ever since he dug too far into Nintendo's devkit registration process or whatever.

Not exactly. There are two independent things here the fake pic and the fact that he heard that the controller doesn't have face buttons.

That this is fake, doesn't change the fact that the real controller may lack buttons.

But why mention it now? When there was a fake that somehow confirmed their suspicions that they kept to themselves? Wouldn't that be newsworthy? That industry whispers may say that the NX won't have face buttons? It's not like the dude was under an NDA because he publicly told us the musing. As far as I'm concerned, what he heard is in itself, a rumor, one he couldn't confirm himself.

McHuj

The fact of the matter is that all this news comes after the fake. Why not before? All the sudden NDA is out the window huh?

Sometimes leakers feel more confident when others start leaking first. It's harder to track down the later leaks as opposed to the first.

I admit I was really hoping someone would start leaking specs.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

To be really honest, it can happen. Think of it as a domino effect: if something that's behind an NDA suddenly leaks, then it's not impossible for anyone who is informed about the content behind a specific ND / embargo to say "Look, since this got out of the bag, I'm going to say it's actually happening". Not all the domino's pieces will fall, but some will.

And this is why I can see these elaborated fakes (insanely elaborated, mad-scientist level of insanity) acting as bluffs, as attempts to trick those who actually have insider infos to come out. Even if unintentionally.

Ahaha, so much fun with this thread... But seriously, how did you dare :
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=199045400&postcount=5072

disaster-girl.jpg

misdirection lel

edit: also kankki, i wonder what's your reaction when the discussion is about the trees at one point?

McHuj

But why mention it now? When there was a fake that somehow confirmed their suspicions that they kept to themselves? Wouldn't that be newsworthy? That industry whispers may say that the NX won't have face buttons? It's not like the dude was under an NDA because he publicly told us the musing. As far as I'm concerned, what he heard is in itself, a rumor, one he couldn't confirm himself.

Well that's what he did say. That's why he didn't write about...

wheapon

Absolutely fantastic. This was a really great fake. Also thank you for showing how it was done to silence the conspiracy theorists.

To be really honest, it can happen. Think of it as a domino effect: if something that's behind an NDA suddenly leaks, then it's not impossible for anyone who is informed about the content behind a specific ND / embargo to say "Look, since this got out of the bag, I'm going to say it's actually happening". Not all the domino's pieces will fall, but some will.

And this is why I can see these elaborated fakes (insanely elaborated, mad-scientist level of insanity) acting as bluffs, as attempts to trick those who actually have insider infos to come out. Even if unintentionally.
Yes but really someone known in the industry saying that? You are still under NDA or whoever your source is, is under NDA as well.

Notice how when Sean posts its just a moon landing. Even its fake you still cant outright say it.

Boogdud

Some people here got scarily close to guessing exactly how it was made, too!

This seriously just made my week (the whole thing).

So.... WAS it your face in the reflection of the monitor on the screen? I made a joke post about the head being on there and people were literally head hunting poor Massive!

Hopefully Nintendo will see our insanity about face buttons and make sure they are present. Pretty please.

I would certainly hope so.

Just remember, Team Real, and anyone who thought the possibility of 3D Printing was not in the realm of reality. That no one would spend the time and resources to make an actual hoax product. That the 3D technology isn't that sophisticated.

IT IS.

NOTHING WAS METAL.

Really interesting video, it's cool what you can do with 3d printers, technology is amazing.

Loved watching the screen be cut, what type of device is that? Is it controlled by the computer/software you created the design in?

it should be a typical laser cutter machine. you feed the cad design onto its software and it will cut according to the measurement, or something like that

Now, we REALLY need anything about NX directly from Nintendo, asap. Because there will be nothing as exciting as these fake photos untill we get confirmed info. And that makes me sad.

Woffls

Hahaaa massive respect on that one. The sensible side of me didn't want to believe, but the quality of the fake and just wanting something made it very convincing.

Seems to be a good way of getting people to disclose their knowledge about the project. Now I am worried about face buttons :/

Oh what fun we have on NeoGAF.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Now, we REALLY need anything about NX directly from Nintendo, asap. Because there will be nothing as exciting as these fake photos untill we get confirmed info. And that makes me sad.

I'd like Reggie to appear holding the fake NX device before revealing the real one xD

Oops, sorry for double post.

DrWong

Hahaaa massive respect on that one. The sensible side of me didn't want to believe, but the quality of the fake and just wanting something made it very convincing.

Seems to be a good way of getting people to disclose their knowledge about the project. Now I am worried about face buttons :/

Oh what fun we have on NeoGAF.
You meant, fake buttons :D

Lesson learned from this thread is, there are trees everywhere tbh.
Also the unhealthy love for physical buttons is real, LOL.

Don't think this was posted yet, but some additional commentary from Game Informer's Andy McNamara, who said he had a source that matched this concept of "no buttons". Not much new; he clarifies it was from a single source.

This was recorded before either source/picture was revealed as fake.
https://youtu.be/KoN7Ocogpxw?t=50m24s
Yeah, the patents still exist.
The Wii U ones were pretty close: http://videogamewriters.com/more-wii-u-tablet-controller-innards-revealed-in-patent-20027

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom