• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctre81

basically Tre but Nintendo pisses me off so much when they say things like that. Hopefully the Wii U "SALES" failure, Iwata death (sadly), and other factors light a fire under them again with this NX console.

Yeah they need to start firing direct shots again. This play nice Nintendo is getting old.

MogCakes

It's difficult without 3rd party support. The NX at least needs to have a good name that will catch on. No more Wii. Name it something else. Hyper Nintendo Entertainment System might work.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
It's not about art cohesion. I love all the "what Nintendo games could look like on powerful hardware" while in reality none of the youtube demos or fan art concepts capture the tone and feel of a Nintendo game, for me anyway. Like, wtf is this shit that people love to quote:

These mature/serious atmospheres fail to capture what Nintendo is about. We already have perfectly good examples of how actual Nintendo games look in HD. I want games that look like the pics below on NX, they capture that sense of wonder and pure joy:

When I look at these I just want to jump in and play as quick as possible, while the above examples have the opposite effect.

Erm...Metroid should have a mature/serious atmosphere. I quite like that fan concept.

I believe he also let us know that NOE was going to bring over Xenoblade in the past.

Aroll

Neither Sony nor Microsoft view Nintendo as competition anymore.

Pretty sure they have never publicly or internally stated this. Now, Nintendo has certainly stated this publicly, but there is no way that's how they approach it internally. That means they completely ignore industry trends and pay no mind to what competitors do and learn from it - which you can argue they certainly didn't learn this gen - but they also see how Sony as a company is basically surviving solely off the massive success of the PlayStation brand this gen and they aren't silly enough to realize that they probably chose an unsustainable path with the Wii brand. They have to rethink their entire strategy. Will they ever go directly after say, PS4's crowd? Doubt it, but they likely won;t be ignore it entirely either. Hell they didn't think they were ignoring it with the Wii U. Remember, it was a "gamers console" with "3rd party games" when they announced it. THey certainly saw what others did. THey just didn't anticipate what the others were going to do a year later.

Banned
And obviously compatible with WiiU discs, otherwise it would be incredible stupid to keep releasing new games that close to NX release
No it wouldn't. Nintendo themselves have said they need to satisfy Wii U purchasers still and not abandon them. That's why you're still getting second half Wii U games like Paper Mario and Zelda, even if some of those will be cross ported.

The NX isn't going to put PowerPC in its motherboard just to play Wii U games and make the console $50+ more expensive for a barely used feature. It's done boys. Keep your Wii U and 3DS if you want to play those games.

Peterc

Nintendo didn't promote the system yet or even told something about it what it is.
But we all together are promoting the NX like hell :)

It's crazy if you think about it, that we are already bringen a hype for the system, while we don't know even what it is.

Good marketing :) But I'm ok with it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't understand this comparison. People on here are generally vetted if they make claims, if they haven't been banned its because they aren't blowing smoke. Orgen, for example, knew far too much on Trev's 100% validated leak and, before that, Pokemon B/W2 on the DS. To call that a random insider is to really just ignore evidence. He obviously has knowledge and connections.

Random gaf people have a track record or get ignored/banned.

Trev posted his evidence in the raw.

It wasn't meant as an attack on the insiders here. I like the insiders here. I dislike attacking someone personally (like laughing at his job, for example) just because you don't like his opinion.

Maybe he could get vetted by Bish. Or by the twitter admins. Or the tooth fairy. I don't say to believe he's telling the truth, I say that laughing at his job (which by the way it's actually a cool job) just to dismiss his opinion is pathetic.

Especially since he has a realistic chance of knowing some people in the industry. Again, that doesn't mean he's telling the truth. But his job is not a proof he's lying either.

woen

Nintendo didn't promote the system yet or even told something about it what it is.
But we all together are promoting the NX like hell :)

It's crazy if you think about it, that we are already bringen a hype for the system, while we don't know even what it is.

Good marketing :) But I'm ok with it.

Wow it looks like you have a PhD in information science. So brilliant.

BowieZ

Banned
I suppose I could probably find another thread for this, but today I just had this feeling that it was time for a new HD 2D Metroid, for NX of course, and it will be a launch game around November. That would be one surefire way to boost the machine's hardcore cred, and it's been so many years and enough VC re-releases to justify the timing of a new 2D Metroid. Of course, they'll need to have other hardcore games, especially in 3D, and Mario and of course there'll be Zelda. We'll see if I'm right, in June...

It's time...

Meanwhile, some good fan made HD 2D Metroid art... *froths at the mouth*

metroid.jpg

tumblr_nihqz2wE791soo5b1o1_1280.jpg

deadly_allergies_by_zesiul-d69i1mn.png

crocomire_by_zesiul-d682n6v.png

metroid_rundas_by_rirth-d7i5zrx.jpg

Courtesy orioto, Robin Wouters, Zesiul (x2) and rirth.

Peterc

I suppose I could probably find another thread for this, but today I just had this feeling that it was time for a new HD 2D Metroid, for NX of course, and it will be a launch game around November. That would be one surefire way to boost the machine's hardcore cred, and it's been so many years and enough VC re-releases to justify the timing of a new 2D Metroid. Of course, they'll need to have other hardcore games, especially in 3D, and Mario and of course there'll be Zelda. We'll see if I'm right, in June...

It's time...

Meanwhile, anyone link me to some good fan made HD 2D Metroid art? *froths at the mouth*

I would also prefer a HD 2d metroid (not other m). i know allot of people wants a new prime. So i'm expecting that we will get another 3d metroid before a 2d one.

maxcriden

The question is, what consoles do you own of current gens?
What do you want to pay for a NX console?

For me, just Wii U. Though I may want to purchase a PS4 for TLG depending how good and how up my alley it is. And some indies as well. But I'm not willing to pay more than $200 and would like to pay less, so I'm in no rush.

What do I want to pay for an NX console. Hmm. I mean, power isn't too important to me. So ideally I'd like to pay not as much. But it's a new Nintendo system. I'm willing to pay the $350 we paid for Wii U just before they announced the price drop (and I truly don't regret it, that time playing the Rayman Legends Challenges App before the game came out was a lot of fun, and the specific time we had playing the other games we delved into during that time was well worth getting the system earlier).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The biggest bet about price of NX is ... will it be successful?

Should I pay 350 euro at launch for a console it's not guaranteed to last for more than 4 years? I think I would rather wait to see how the post-holiday season goes.

Is 250 euro a more acceptable price for this bet? Definitely.

Meesh

What do I want to pay for an NX console. Hmm. I mean, power isn't too important to me. So ideally I'd like to pay not as much. But it's a new Nintendo system. I'm willing to pay the $350 we paid for Wii U just before they announced the price drop (and I truly don't regret it, that time playing the Rayman Legends Challenges App before the game came out was a lot of fun, and the specific time we had playing the other games we delved into during that time was well worth getting the system earlier).
Myself I bought two at launch and only regretted it when the Zelda edition came out. So I "had" to buy that one too. Lol. I second the $300-350 bench mark and am gonna do it all over again. 2 at launch! I'm all in.

No it wouldn't. Nintendo themselves have said they need to satisfy Wii U purchasers still and not abandon them. That's why you're still getting second half Wii U games like Paper Mario and Zelda, even if some of those will be cross ported.

The NX isn't going to put PowerPC in its motherboard just to play Wii U games and make the console $50+ more expensive for a barely used feature. It's done boys. Keep your Wii U and 3DS if you want to play those games.

I think you are unselling how much crossover there will be along with the fact that software emulation could be on the table

My money is more on the whole "port big titles" wagon though

maxcriden

The biggest bet about price of NX is ... will it be successful?

Should I pay 350 euro at launch for a console it's not guaranteed to last for more than 4 years? I think I would rather wait to see how the post-holiday season goes.

Is 250 euro a more acceptable price for this bet? Definitely.

Am I remembering correctly that Wii U prices were getting to fire sale level at some stores a year after launch, like at some High Street-type stores? (Unsure if I used that term correctly here.) My impression is that Nintendo has very little mindshare specifically in the UK, where even it's evergreen games struggle to chart. I wonder what they might be able to do to get UK fans interested in Nintendo again. I know they do pretty well in France and I want to say Germany as well? Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

It's time...

Meanwhile, some good fan made HD 2D Metroid art... *froths at the mouth*

RayMetroid Legends?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Am I remembering correctly that Wii U prices were getting to fire sale level at some stores a year after launch, like at some High Street-type stores? (Unsure if I used that term correctly here.) My impression is that Nintendo has very little mindshare specifically in the UK, where even it's evergreen games struggle to chart. I wonder what they might be able to do to get UK fans interested in Nintendo again. I know they do pretty well in France and I want to say Germany as well? Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Yeah, there were some £199 fire sales for the premium bundles (including one with ZombiU) in the summer of 2013 already. I still laugh remembering how "experts" on this forum were saying back then "wait, it will be even less in the fall ...". It was never cheaper than that.

Saw this twitter exchange with well known Nintendo fanartist and illustrator Zac Gorman and Sonic comic illustrator Tyson Heese.

ONfCX5d.png

A bit...worrying... :

Definitely disheartening. Still have hope Nintendo learned something from the Wii collapse and Wii U bomb. Hopefully...

Ydelnae

What I'm sure of is that I'm not going to buy another Nintendo system at day 1. I paid nearly 270€ for the 3DS and I had to play just Pilotwings for over 4 months until Zelda came. And then they announced a 50€ price cut. I'm only interested in the NX handheld but I'm not going to bit the first year unless the price is really attractive and the lineup is good.

Anteo

What I'm sure of is that I'm not going to buy another Nintendo system at day 1. I paid nearly 270€ for the 3DS and I had to play just Pilotwings for over 4 months until Zelda came. And then they announced a 50€ price cut. I'm only interested in the NX handheld but I'm not going to bit the first year unless the price is really attractive and the lineup is good.

They too got me with the 3ds hype, and I played only SFIV for months. First FG game and all that.

I waited for the WiiU so at least I learned from the 3ds launch

NX: X is ten in Roman numerals, and if it launches this winter, it'll be around / on the tenth anniversary of the launch of the Wii. Now, consider the fact that ten in Japanese is Jū and the only logical conclusion is that the console will be the Wii Jū.

We'll all be playing a cross-generational Zelda at launch and history will repeat itself in a cycle.

Well, the launch titles of 3DS are sterile. Only three Nintendo first-party games launched with it. I think NX's launch will get more supports from Nintendo provided that many studios must be working on some games for a long period of time. If new Zelda is going to be in the launch window of NX, as suggested by Trev's info, I will get NX day one.

Anteo

Well, the launch titles of 3DS are sterile. Only three Nintendo first-party games launched with it. I think NX's launch will get more supports from Nintendo provided that many studios must be working on some games for a long period of time. If new Zelda is going to be in the launch window of NX, as suggested by Trev's info, I will get NX day one.

Doubt it. They had bad launch from GC onwards (probably before that, but I dont really know much about pre PS2 era), and even when they said they will fix it for next time, they didnt.

Xiao Hu

Doubt it. They had bad launch from GC onwards (probably before that, but I dont really know much about pre PS2 era), and even when they said they will fix it for next time, they didnt.

I think Jim's assumption is coming from a mathematical point of view. Since both divisions have been merged (plus the rumored shared library) the amount of produced games is supposed to be bigger according to the number of usuable studios within the new structure.

BowieZ

Banned
NX = Nintendo Cross
This is what I always assumed the code name basically meant, referring to cross play (between systems). In other words, most games can be played in HD on the console and taken with you on the handheld which doubles as the console controller.

However, this concept fell out of favor in the last year as the likely "gimmick" so I dunno.

I still think extensive cross play is going to be a big thing.

georly

This is what I always assumed the code name basically meant, referring to cross play (between systems). In other words, most games can be played in HD on the console and taken with you on the handheld which doubles as the console controller.

However, this concept fell out of favor in the last year as the likely "gimmick" so I dunno.

I still think extensive cross play is going to be a big thing.

Yeah, I think the code name refers to the concept that allows cross play between console and handheld, but I really doubt it'll keep the name 'cross' in its final name. While the word 'cross' is seemingly super duper popular in japan (cool, the letter X!), it doesn't really work internationally, so I suspect an entirely different name for it. It could happen (that it keeps NX or the word cross), but I think they'll just call it something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom