• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this twitter exchange with well known Nintendo fanartist and illustrator Zac Gorman and Sonic comic illustrator Tyson Heese.

ONfCX5d.png

A bit...worrying... :\

I can see it if they are rushing NX.

amnesiac

In the unfortunate event that (assuming NX is Nintendo's next main console) NX does around Wii U numbers, what will Nintendo do after? I read that the Wii U, despite not selling very well, is actually profitable for Nintendo, so would they just keep catering to a niche audience? Going third party seems too extreme.

Peterc

Unless it's competitively spec'd it should be priced at less than $300, possibly even less.

Not knowing what consoles you're current owning.

ps4 -basic- cost about 350$ still.
If you want vr, + 499$ = 849$, and i'm not talking about the ps4.5 yet.

xbox1 about 320$

So if you want a nx console that does have the same power as xbox one and with the new controller, but you only want to pay < 300$. That crazy.

Even if you just have only a controller like wiiu pro, it's still a crazy idea.

If you want to pay < 300$, you can expect an underpowered console.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
All those UE4 demos with Nintendo characters look awful.
It appears to me that it is just default settings Unreal Engine 4. And then a Mario model is "just" dropped into some demo projects that do not fit Mario's visual style. There's so much you can do with Unreal Engine 4 and it's definitely not impossible to make Mario look great, but of course just stitching things with clashing visual styles together won't look good.

Rösti;198942078 said:
It appears to me that it is just default settings Unreal Engine 4. And then a Mario model is "just" dropped into some demo projects that do not fit Mario's visual style. There's so much you can do with Unreal Engine 4 and it's definitely not impossible to make Mario look great, but of course just stitching things with clashing visual styles together won't look good.

It's the same for every UE4 thingy made in 5 minutes. Throwing 3D models without any art cohesion. Same for Zelda tech demos. It looks okay because of the lightings and effects, otherwise... it's pretty bad every time.

-Horizon-

In before "but how can they rush NX will releasing almost nothing on Wii U"
But then the last Wii year was dead for the softwares and Wii U had and still has awful droughts.

Could be wrong but I seem to recall an interview (or maybe it was just some speculation post) or something about them not being ready for HD development on the U.

udivision

Could be wrong but I seem to recall an interview (or maybe it was just some speculation post) or something about them not being ready for HD development on the U.

Yeah, I think that was the case.

But then again, Iwata did the "We weren't able to ___________, and we hope to fix that with ____________" like for three hardware launches in a row? I'm sure they'll be a new excuse next time.

-Horizon-

Yeah, I think that was the case.

But then again, Iwata did the "We weren't able to ___________, and we hope to fix that with ____________" like for three hardware launches in a row? I'm sure they'll be a new excuse next time.

kimishima: an intern deleted all our new NX games that were in development, we have to start over.

antonz

Wii U was also a disaster for Nintendo in creating the console. It was revealed about halfway through design they started over and settled on the Wii U as we know it. It is very possible Wii HD that Pachter kept shouting about was a real thing but Iwata and Miyamoto simply felt it wasn't compelling enough on its own.

Difficult development cycle for the console itself can cause all sorts of issues for game delivery

-Horizon-

Wii U was also a disaster for Nintendo in creating the console. It was revealed about halfway through design they started over and settled on the Wii U as we know it. It is very possible Wii HD that Pachter kept shouting about was a real thing but Iwata and Miyamoto simply felt it wasn't compelling enough on its own.

Difficult development cycle for the console itself can cause all sorts of issues for game delivery

I have to wonder if a Wii HD would have led to a different outcome. I guess it may have been cheaper since there wouldn't be a gamepad pulling the price up? That might have helped. Maybe.

Vena

But then the last Wii year was dead for the softwares and Wii U had and still has awful droughts.

The WiiU was in general a development mess internally too, aside from even just the HD issues. They even had tool issues and poor documentation from the troubled development of the system.

I find it funny how we are ready to believe any alias on this forum (or on reddit or ...) that has stated once something right (or not even that), but immediately dismissing someone who has a full name and a known job just because his opinion might be upsetting. It's a bit sad, really.

I don't understand this comparison. People on here are generally vetted if they make claims, if they haven't been banned its because they aren't blowing smoke. Orgen, for example, knew far too much on Trev's 100% validated leak and, before that, Pokemon B/W2 on the DS. To call that a random insider is to really just ignore evidence. He obviously has knowledge and connections.

But, then, that's the crux of this: People only like what they want to hear. Want to know the NX won't "steal our gamez" and fail out of the gate? Someone will have said something to that end. Want to hear that the NX is god's gift to mankind? Someone's got that view too.

The problem with the tweets is more that... it has no relative reference or preference from the person. What are his expectations? What are his opinions? What is he valuing and how much does he know? This is the problem with all of this in general. And you'll note that most of our insiders don't say shit about "You'll say wow!".

I also generally don't appreciate "insider" people who tease information and then clam up immediately. Why even say anything then?

I think mobile doesn't compete with handheld, because mobile games doesn't have physical buttons + the most game feels like flash games.

Nintendo will not be stuppid enough to bring a new console that still can't compete with ps4.
They know 3rd party devs will ignore the system again.

It's early to tell, but if one gimmick will fail, it will be the psvr because of many reasons.

Even when looking at apple with their products, it looks like they are struggling to bring new ideas to the market.

MS focus at the moment is PC & Hololens.

It's a good time for nintendo "to fight back" and bring something the core gamers want.
Lol

antonz

I have to wonder if a Wii HD would have led to a different outcome. I guess it may have been cheaper since there wouldn't be a gamepad pulling the price up? That might have helped. Maybe.

Its really hard to say. I mean it certainly would have been better price wise. It likely would have remained a PS3/360 level machine though as it would have likely came out in 2011 instead of 2012. Would have still faced much of the issues coming so late to the table on a machine comparable to what MS and Sony were about to abandon

Instro

Not knowing what consoles you're current owning.

ps4 -basic- cost about 350$ still.
If you want vr, + 499$ = 849$, and i'm not talking about the ps4.5 yet.

xbox1 about 320$

So if you want a nx console that does have the same power as xbox one and with the new controller, but you only want to pay < 300$. That crazy.

Even if you just have only a controller like wiiu pro, it's still a crazy idea.

If you want to pay < 300$, you can expect an underpowered console.

So we are in agreement that if it's underpowered it should be sub $300. My point is that I don't want to see a console priced at $350 that's inferior to the XBO, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

-Horizon-

Its really hard to say. I mean it certainly would have been better price wise. It likely would have remained a PS3/360 level machine though as it would have likely came out in 2011 instead of 2012. Would have still faced much of the issues coming so late to the table on a machine comparable to what MS and Sony were about to abandon

Yeah you're right. Support would've run away once the next gen twins came out.
Are there even any more cross-gen games this year other than a few japanese games?

Ansatz

It's the same for every UE4 thingy made in 5 minutes. Throwing 3D models without any art cohesion. Same for Zelda tech demos. It looks okay because of the lightings and effects, otherwise... it's pretty bad every time.

It's not about art cohesion. I love all the "what Nintendo games could look like on powerful hardware" while in reality none of the youtube demos or fan art concepts capture the tone and feel of a Nintendo game, for me anyway. Like, wtf is this shit that people love to quote:

These mature/serious atmospheres fail to capture what Nintendo is about. We already have perfectly good examples of how actual Nintendo games look in HD. I want games that look like the pics below on NX, they capture that sense of wonder and pure joy:

When I look at these I just want to jump in and play as quick as possible, while the above examples have the opposite effect.

Not to downplay Sonic Twitter guy, but everyone else in the industry is scared shitless of the NX NDA. No, that doesn't mean that the NX is powered by Unicorn Stem cells, but his contacts disclosed enough specific info to be considered possibly damning but no one else in the industry is even willing to comment on something as little as the color of the dev kit power cord.

Rösti;198942078 said:
Yeah, Mario would look good on it, but he already looks fantastic on MK8.
Surprised so many sites pick these up since they're not impressive or visually better than what's being offered

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
@Naked Prime I keep telling people they shouldn't talk about that. Most listen, some don't.

While that very well might be the case, they're in a better spot now than they were with Wii U.
They recently restructured their dev and hardware teams and they won't be working on making HD games as much.
There's also the 3DS which took a lot of development time away from Wii U titles since there now was a 3ad handheld Mario game.
Now most if not all the dev teams will be likely working on NX in one way or another thanks to the rumored shared library.
The launch should have Zelda U which is pretty different than Wii U which didn't get a Zelda title until...well, Zelda U.
They also won't have to work on making SD Wii games look HD but HD Wii U games look like HD NX games which should be easier.
They also have partnerships with Namco and other studios that they nurtured during the Wii U era.
So yeah, I'd hope they picked up some tricks from the Wii U. A lot of these games, engines, and assets made for the system should be suitable for the NX+NX handheld so I'm hopeful at least.
If the shared library/OS doesn't happen then they're probably f*cked...but I feel pretty good about NX's future so far.

sinxtanx

what tier of repercussion would one face upon breaking that NDA

yo Rösti

on a scale from "lose access to devkit" to "lowered into lava by chattering, barely humanoid beings" where is it at?

Vena

Well Trev got sources and he's just a random youtube dude so who knows. Not to mention all the random gaf people with sources like Kingsnake pointed out.

Random gaf people have a track record or get ignored/banned.

Trev posted his evidence in the raw.

QaaQer

what tier of repercussion would one face upon breaking that NDA

yo Rösti

on a scale from "lose access to devkit" to "lowered into lava by chattering, barely humanoid beings" where is it at?

I don't get where this idea that Nintendo ndas are worse than every other NDA. NDAs have to adhere to the laws in various countries so you cant have crazy stipulations like losing a finger or forfeiting your salary for the next ten years. Further, it would contravene fiduciary duty if NDAs from Sony, MS, etc weren't just as strict wrt sensitive information.

The more likely scenario is simply fewer gabby Western devs with kits and a more closed, deferential culture in Japan.

With the wii U stopping production this year surely that indicates a 2016 release. I just want them to announce this thing.

Releasing a year earlier would have been fantastic. That's one of the reasons Nintendo struggled, they just left the wii brand to die before releasing a successor. You want to strike whilst the iron is hot not once it has completely ran out of juice. It also would have given them a slightly better foothold in the market before their competition came in (and also would have allowed them to maybe get more late gen ports).

That plus I feel it depends if they ignored the screen. I think a wii HD could have been cheaper because they wouldn't have had to worry about tacking on the expensive control. They also could have focused on this new popular control method that had just taken the gaming world by storm and saw them fly to the top of it.

Anyway it's all history now.

Peltz

I don't get where this idea that Nintendo ndas are worse than every other NDA. NDAs have to adhere to the laws in various countries so you cant have crazy stipulations like losing a finger or forfeiting your salary for the next ten years. Further, it would contravene fiduciary duty if NDAs from Sony, MS, etc weren't just as strict wrt sensitive information.

The more likely scenario is simply fewer gabby Western devs with kits and a more closed, deferential culture in Japan.

I could imagine some pretty serious damages clauses.

They will stubbornly wait until E3 to roll out the red carpet, then, ladies and gentlemen, please put your hands together for.........

Wii U 2 :(

khaaan

Can someone summarize what's happened so far? There's been a lot of activity even after the OP's updates and I'm having a hard time following why this is being given weight. Here is my understanding so far:

Who is Rosti and why does this person have any credibility? And is that more ore less everything in relation to the image in the OP or is there something else?

Unrelated to the image but there's also

Daft Punk

Banned
I think mobile doesn't compete with handheld, because mobile games doesn't have physical buttons + the most game feels like flash games.

Nintendo will not be stuppid enough to bring a new console that still can't compete with ps4.
They know 3rd party devs will ignore the system again.

It's early to tell, but if one gimmick will fail, it will be the psvr because of many reasons.

Even when looking at apple with their products, it looks like they are struggling to bring new ideas to the market.

MS focus at the moment is PC & Hololens.

It's a good time for nintendo "to fight back" and bring something the core gamers want.

Please elaborate oh Swami.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Knowing me Smash and Monster Hunter is always enough lol

Same here. At long they bring Mario Kart 9 (or fancy title they probably came up with) and Smash NX (with new contents) then I'm definitely pick it up.

Also I just knew that they are going to bring good games to the table as well, hopefully.

III-V

Can someone summarize what's happened so far? There's been a lot of activity even after the OP's updates and I'm having a hard time following why this is being given weight. Here is my understanding so far:

Who is Rosti and why does this person have any credibility? And is that more ore less everything in relation to the image in the OP or is there something else?

I WANT TO BELIEVE

Seriously? The most likely scenario is high compensation clauses for revealing secret information. Obviously.

Diffense

Some people seem ready to freak out if the next controller has a screen but I don't think that was a terrible idea. I'll miss it a litte if it goes away TBH.

I don't think the Wii U failed because of the tablet controller. Nintendo didn't do enough to convince people to buy it; they were probably relying a little too much on the Wii's success. We saw the 3DS falter too and they had to enter panic mode (dropping the price) to get it back on track. If Splatoon and Mario Maker, two of Wii U's defining games, had come out a year earlier and Zelda Wii U had hit last year, the Wii U might have fared better.

Whatever the NX turns out to be, software will absolutely be the key to its success.

Pokemaniac

We're not really giving this weight at this point (at least, not most of us). We're more just waiting for them to trip up/secretly speculating about NX. The information provided isn't enough to fully disprove the image, but it does cast some pretty serious doubt on it

Rosti mostly just investigates things rather deeply, but some recent posts of theirs suggest that they know someone at Nintendo, but the only info their getting from them is general sentiment.

What we know for sure is that the NX has less time in the oven than the Wii U had when it launched.

Really? I don't follow.

anothertech

Hey, MS and Sony are launching 1.5 version consoles at the samish time as Nintendo.

Maybe they know something we don't, and are scrambling to keep up???

Hey, MS and Sony are launching 1.5 version consoles at the samish time as Nintendo.

This....its also funny how Vita was a legacy platform but almost a year later at last years TGS & PSX there was a healthy amount of titles & support thrown behind it. Also EA allegedly "rallying" ncl to make the nx ecosystem healthier for its titles struck me as odd. Granted EA is always gonna EA but what could possibly entice them to support nx with what happened with WiiU? Though I suspect NX being built around Vulkan could put the definitive console versions of EA titles on NX.

TunaLover

This....its also funny how Vita was a legacy platform but almost a year later at last years TGS & PSX there was a healthy amount of titles & support thrown behind it. Also EA allegedly "rallying" ncl to make the nx ecosystem healthier for its titles struck me as odd. Granted EA is always gonna EA but what could possibly entice them to support nx with what happened with WiiU? Though I suspect NX being built around Vulkan could put the definitive console versions of EA titles on NX.
I will always remain skeptic about third parties on Nintendo platforms, I will say that EA is just covering their bases here.

I think one of them was rumored to be making a stronger console than the ps4 so both are scrambling to hold on to that 1 bullet point of power like it mean so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom