• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming April 2016 | Fool's Gold

pronk420

Okay, Chameleon Run is fantastic
There are 16 levels in the game, but there's a nice amount of challenge and replay value for each level, and the devs always provided good post-release content for their games

An easy recommendation for $2

Are there really only 16 levels? It seems like 5 of those are tutorials, including the last one, which seems odd.

Matt Frost

It seems like Apple is going to put and end to the bug that prevents GameCenter from working on the next update, 9.3.2... finally

Cant believe it yet, but there is a lot of hope, might even get into the iOS beta once again to try this as soon as possible...

Souce: http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Game+Center/news.asp?c=69692

And Illusion Labs just soft-launched Mr Crab 2 on the Australian, Philippines and Denmark AppStores:
screen322x572.jpeg

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/mr.-crab-2/id1075872386?ls=1&mt=8

Source: Twitter (as with all my stuff, Twitter knows first)

PittaGAF

I'll believe they patched the iOS bug when I'll see it and it will stay so for at least 2 weeks.

I'm still pissed to no end that my record gold run in Out There is not on my Game Center :(

For something that is de facto a gaming platform it's still amazing how little consideration Apple put into it (as a gaming platform).

I hope next WWDC will bring news about this.

killercow

I'll believe they patched the iOS bug when I'll see it and it will stay so for at least 2 weeks.

I'm still pissed to no end that my record gold run in Out There is not on my Game Center :(

For something that is de facto a gaming platform it's still amazing how little consideration Apple put into it (as a gaming platform).

I hope next WWDC will bring news about this.

You could install the beta for iOS 9.3.2 now and find out ;)

I hope they do something about Game Center and other gaming issues at WWDC, i just don't think they really give a shit.
Apple needs a gaming czar to watch over this stuff.

PittaGAF

You could install the beta for iOS 9.3.2 now and find out ;)

Eheheheheheh I was expecting your answer :)
I do hope they got rid of this bug.

Did it solve for you?

My reservations are because I had it solved for months around Xmas then I got the bug again.
I hope it's solved of course but I fear it solved things for many just because they installed a new OS so the device reset.
We will see in a week if the bug is still there.

PaulLFC

How does beta iOS software generally affect games? Obviously nobody can predict what might happen with future versions, but for those up to now, are many games usually affected by the beta software, insofar as crashing etc? Just trying to get a general idea so I can decide whether I should enrol in the beta or not.

killercow

How does beta iOS software generally affect games? Obviously nobody can predict what might happen with future versions, but for those up to now, are many games usually affected by the beta software, insofar as crashing etc? Just trying to get a general idea so I can decide whether I should enrol in the beta or not.

It's generally really stable, especially X.X.X version that are bug fixes.

Eheheheheheh I was expecting your answer :)
I do hope they got rid of this bug.

Did it solve for you?

My reservations are because I had it solved for months around Xmas then I got the bug again.
I hope it's solved of course but I fear it solved things for many just because they installed a new OS so the device reset.
We will see in a week if the bug is still there.

I had the bug for a second time a few days ago but I restored from iCloud to get rid of it. Still, a few users and more now have been reporting that it fixes it so it's at least a temporary fix.

Matt Frost

I beta tested iOS 9 for a lot of versions and is practically the same as the normal iOS version, in fact, I am already installing 9.3.2 and starting beta testing again to see if this works, I need GameCenter. As for Apple Betas, it works the same, and like Killercow said, even better with 9.x.x versions. Only difference is that you can help Apple with a feedback app and send them crash reports, opinions and such things

Matt Frost

Mr Crab 2 is... as good as the first one platforming wise... but with more things on it... like curved shapes, more bounciness, more springs, bigger wow factor... it also has a full game unlock that gives all levels (so far, 42 levels), and a prize machine that gives hats, glasses, and a lot of stuff to customize your crab... you can also unlock different crabs and other animals to play with, all with their customization options, and you unlock this animals by recuing their children in-game. Mr Crab 2 lacks revives, continues, timers and all that BS that plagues all the F2P games nowadays, in fact, it seems like a real game but with the option to give them money as IAP. Prize machine works with either stars of watching ads. I like it.

... And now, to install iOS Beta 9.3.2 and see the GameCenter bug by myself... I will give impressions here about it...

If any of you is interested, you can do the same here: https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/welcome

Pachimari

Finally got around to buying Power Hover as I promised the developer a long time ago. Completed the tutorial and first level and the first thing I take away from it is the really slick control. It really feels good and it behaves how you would expect the hoverboard to do. Great little game so far.

Pachimari

Tapping a block splits it in two. Splits alternate between horizontal and vertical. Tap and hold a block to preview the split. When there are four neighbouring blocks of equal size, they're assigned a countdown timer requiring a number of moves. When these blocks "fall" their countdown timer is halved (iirc). When the timer reaches 0 the blocks are removed. New blocks fall from the top. Points are awarded somehow along the way.
This were better explained than the explanation in the game itself. Thank you very much. :)

Tapping a block splits it in two. Splits alternate between horizontal and vertical. Tap and hold a block to preview the split. When there are four neighbouring blocks of equal size, they're assigned a countdown timer requiring a number of moves. When these blocks "fall" their countdown timer is halved (iirc). When the timer reaches 0 the blocks are removed. New blocks fall from the top. Points are awarded somehow along the way.
Another key point: the number of moves isn't random, but equal to the number of splits you've currently made (which you can see in the top right of the screen)

awp69

Mr Crab 2 is... as good as the first one platforming wise... but with more things on it... like curved shapes, more bounciness, more springs, bigger wow factor... it also has a full game unlock that gives all levels (so far, 42 levels), and a prize machine that gives hats, glasses, and a lot of stuff to customize your crab... you can also unlock different crabs and other animals to play with, all with their customization options, and you unlock this animals by recuing their children in-game. Mr Crab 2 lacks revives, continues, timers and all that BS that plagues all the F2P games nowadays, in fact, it seems like a real game but with the option to give them money as IAP. Prize machine works with either stars of watching ads. I like it.

... And now, to install iOS Beta 9.3.2 and see the GameCenter bug by myself... I will give impressions here about it...

If any of you is interested, you can do the same here: https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/welcome

Loved the first Mr. Crab. Can't remember if I have an account in any of the countries it's in. May need to create one.

Enjoying the three released I got this week - Chameleon Run, CATTCH, NO THING (What's with the all caps for the last two?)

NO THING is easily the most difficult of the three. But I love the aesthetic and weirdness of it all. Kind of feels like what Jeff Minter would do with a first person runner. Wish there were checkpoints as it can be really frustrating to get through 90% of a level and then die.

Matt Frost

Loved the first Mr. Crab. Can't remember if I have an account in any of the countries it's in. May need to create one.

Enjoying the three released I got this week - Chameleon Run, CATTCH, NO THING (What's with the all caps for the last two?)

NO THING is easily the most difficult of the three. But I love the aesthetic and weirdness of it all. Kind of feels like what Jeff Minter would do with a first person runner. Wish there were checkpoints as it can be really frustrating to get through 90% of a level and then die.

I watched a video and it seemed simple, just one lane, you just had to tap left or right to follow the path, and it seems like it was more about the story behind the running than on gameplay itself... thats what I guessed from the video (since I dont visit TA or PG anymore), am I wrong? How does it play? I will be grateful if you could explain it

Finally got around to buying Power Hover as I promised the developer a long time ago. Completed the tutorial and first level and the first thing I take away from it is the really slick control. It really feels good and it behaves how you would expect the hoverboard to do. Great little game so far.

Power Hover is awesome. Really like it. And as you say, the controls are very slick. Mad at myself for not picking it up earlier.

awp69

I watched a video and it seemed simple, just one lane, you just had to tap left or right to follow the path, and it seems like it was more about the story behind the running than on gameplay itself... thats what I guessed from the video (since I dont visit TA or PG anymore), am I wrong? How does it play? I will be grateful if you could explain it

Yes you do tap left and right on the path but it gets very fast with many turns, almost like a twitch game in terms of timing. It's extremely difficult, for me at least. There's the weird story but honestly the hard stretches, I'm more focused on what I'm doing than the story. And the levels are long so one screw up no matter how far you get, you need to start all over. It can frustrating but definitely one of those "just one more time" type of games.

PaulLFC

So I decided I felt like playing Monkey Island again and went to my purchases to redownload them and... nothing. A quick Google tells me they were removed from the app store for whatever reason, which is unfortunately more and more common lately it seems - but removing them from people's purchase history? That's bullshit.

I wasn't even aware this was a possibility until 2K did it with Bioshock, but people rightly complained and as far as I remember they restored it to people's purchase history (but not the Store). I don't see why publishers (edit: More reading around tells me this could be an Apple policy and not intentional by publishers) think it acceptable to remove paid apps from users' purchase history. My email receipt from 2010 tells me I paid a grand total of £1.18 for both games, and I have them on other platforms, but it's not the point. Once you've paid for something, it shouldn't be removed.

It's generally really stable, especially X.X.X version that are bug fixes.

I beta tested iOS 9 for a lot of versions and is practically the same as the normal iOS version, in fact, I am already installing 9.3.2 and starting beta testing again to see if this works, I need GameCenter. As for Apple Betas, it works the same, and like Killercow said, even better with 9.x.x versions. Only difference is that you can help Apple with a feedback app and send them crash reports, opinions and such things
Thanks both. Going to back up the iPad and then enrol for the beta.

Pachimari

Which high profile games are coming out later this year?

I know about Lumines, Lumines VS, Fantasy Life 2, Breath of Fire VI, Pokémon Go and Romancing SaGa 2.

Pachimari

I want to buy new games, I don't know which... Implosion, Her Story, Sorcery...

Also, I have 190 games on my phone. Welp.

I want to buy new games, I don't know which... Implosion, Her Story, Sorcery...

Also, I have 190 games on my phone. Welp.
Personally, I think Her Story is best played on PC, although it does work well on mobile

Sorcery series is excellent, highly recommended. 4 is coming later this year

Yeah I got Her Story on Steam already. Might just skip it on iOS then.
The thing with Her Story is that typing causes the digital keyboard to cover half the screen and that kind of ruins the whole "Searching through your old computer" aesthetic that works so well on PC

Matt Frost

I downloaded Sorcery 3 and like it, although is not my cup of tea, but there is a lot of game and is great... if you like those games, you should check it out. Depends more of what games you are into, although 190 games seems like a lot and you should give your backlog some time, try to finish some

Downloaded and installed iOS Beta 9.3.2, and so far... GameCenter is back... works perfectly. Anyone interested should do the same. Battery is even better now. And the rest, flawless...

Matt Frost

Yes you do tap left and right on the path but it gets very fast with many turns, almost like a twitch game in terms of timing. It's extremely difficult, for me at least. There's the weird story but honestly the hard stretches, I'm more focused on what I'm doing than the story. And the levels are long so one screw up no matter how far you get, you need to start all over. It can frustrating but definitely one of those "just one more time" type of games.

Might have to check it out... sounds cool... but I already bought 5 games and my backlog grew a lot, went from 9 games to a lot in a week, have a lot on my plate right now. Really enjoying Power Hover, CATTCH, Badland 2, Telepaint, Dragon Hills, Whale Trail, Mr Crab 2,...

Edit: Ups... sorry... double post

Pachimari

I downloaded Sorcery 3 and like it, although is not my cup of tea, but there is a lot of game and is great... if you like those games, you should check it out. Depends more of what games you are into, although 190 games seems like a lot and you should give your backlog some time, try to finish some
I don't finish games.

Is Sorcery like 180 Days?

PaulLFC

I think it's still coming. Last I heard they may be tweaking it from F2P to premium, but who knows.
I hope they are. If I wanted an F2P ARPG I'd play Dungeon Hunter. I don't.

Premium full featured game with no IAPs and it'll be a buy.

PittaGAF

I was in arena 7 briefly , now I'm in danger of falling back into 5. That's just how this game is I suppose....

Wow!

How the hell you counterattack the fireball throwing Mage?
Every time I manage to get to Arena 5 he destroys me in no time.
Always.

Top Bottom