• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PGS -- Windows 10 Game Handheld announced

me0wish

GPD WIN continues to be the safest bet, both PGS and Smach Z appear to be bullshit. Z8750 would of been really nice..

Rad-

Looks too good to be true for that price. I'd buy that asap for emulators and less demanding indie games.

SRV

Please forgive my ignorance, but assuming this is real, would you be able to access your Steam library?

ty_hot

A Chromebook, with full HD IPS and 4gb of Ram costs 300$. How can they make it smaller, faster, double of ram, better screen, etc etc etc for 250$? WITH 128GB of SSD??? hahaha

A bit more info, via the Pyra/Pandora and dingoonity boards:

- Secondary storage is MicroSD

- Retail launch is still the first plan, via investor income for funding.

- They don’t plan to do pre-orders. The device will be available when it is ready (ETA Q4 2016). Interestingly, the estimated price has gone up a fraction to $230-260.

- Vibro-motors will be added to the device (not sure what effect this will have on ETAs/price).

- They’re reconsidering the location of the analogue sticks, second screen app, guide button and colour scheme.

- The company is registered in the United States, Detroit. The head office is located in Moscow. Logistics office in China.

therapist

A bit more info, via the Pyra/Pandora and dingoonity boards:

- Secondary storage is MicroSD

- Retail launch is still the first plan, via investor income for funding.

- They don’t plan to do pre-orders. The device will be available when it is ready (ETA Q4 2016). Interestingly, the estimated price has gone up a fraction to $230-260.

- Vibro-motors will be added to the device (not sure what effect this will have on ETAs/price).

- They’re reconsidering the location of the analogue sticks, second screen app, guide button and colour scheme.

- The company is registered in the United States, Detroit. The head office is located in Moscow. Logistics office in China.

If its actually that price , then wow. Ill buy one.

I think the people behind this project have Kickstarter on their mind.

Check out this unlisted video entitled "PGS Kickstarter 2.0" that was uploaded on March 26: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyTYOM_yl0k

It seems to show a working "prototype" but I have quotation marks there for a reason. Someone who watched it believes it's just an off the shelf windows tablet without its case. Can anyone confirm this and identify the board?

BQzIBLQ.jpg

2Hqg9MO.jpg

If indeed their "early prototype" is just someone else's product and they're making these outrageous claims and price predictions, then I would strongly advise them to reconsider launching a Kickstarter at this stage.

Edit:

By the way, did they hire the ScreenJunkies honest trailer guy to say "PGS Revolution Now"?? If it's the same guy that's pretty cool!

Also, just some helpful advice to the team. It seems like the guy in the video is a foreigner speaking English and they dubbed over his voice. I would recommend that they just use his voice, even if he has a heavy accent. It actually is endearing to have the "foreign tech guru" leading a pitch video.

I've identified their "early prototype" as a $65 Linx EM-I8270 7 inch Tablet, which is also sold under the Emdoor brand.

It's actually written on the board itself.

enhance.jpg

Also, when you look at the buttons and input/outputs they are exact matches.

BL312193.jpg

Here is the Linx (flipped over) superimposed on the "early prototype":

trans_linx_crop.jpg

wanders

I've identified their "early prototype" as a $65 Linx EM-I8270 7 inch Tablet, which is also sold under the Emdoor brand.

It's actually written on the board itself.

enhance.jpg

Also, when you look at the buttons and input/outputs they are exact matches.

BL312193.jpg

Here is the Linx (flipped over) superimposed on the "early prototype":

trans_linx_crop.jpg

They responded:

This movie is incomplete. It was created a long time ago, when we were still planning to go on Kickstarter. An early prototype was created almost two years ago. To create it, we used the stuff from Cube iWork 7 2\32. Current prototypes are assembled from more recent hardware.
p.s. This video is only available from the direct link. We have not even planned to spread it.

Mattenth

I'm on Team Fake...

One thing to notice is that the screenshots all show Steam. I feel that a serious handheld attempt, in this day and age, would probably have its own storefront in order to capture some of the distribution profits.

a linx7 processor is not going to play a great deal without melting, the processors in those get HOT and I know, I own the 10inch model.

dLMN8R

I'm on Team Fake...

One thing to notice is that the screenshots all show Steam. I feel that a serious handheld attempt, in this day and age, would probably have its own storefront in order to capture some of the distribution profits.

lol hardly.

Building a storefront is incredibly expensive. And that's before you actually convince developers to put their games on your system. And you won't, because the potential audience is so tiny there's nothing worth it for them to spend the time (which is money) to do so. So then you're paying developers for the privilege of adding their games to your store.

And don't forget the extraordinarily complex workings of international financial systems, being able to accept payment in different countries, how you track all the accounting, paying your developers on time.

Oh! Don't forget about developer dashboards so they can check to see whether they sold 3 units or 4 units last month! And also you need to build refunds now. So that when 3 of your 4 customers refunded the game because they'd rather buy it on Steam, the developer knows how much money they should be getting back from you. Did you figure that part out too - working out how refunds should work?

And then everyone will just go and install Steam anyway.

If Microsoft released it I would be interested because I'd know games would be supported at those performance specs. I couldn't commit to an item like this in the PC wild without set performance targets.

dwr

I know that many of you guys think this is looking too good for that price, but this is the list of changes they are considering thanks to the feedback they are receiving:

PGSLab from Dingoonity.org forum April 27 said:
Vibration (Hardcore)
Sticks position
eMMC instead SSD
Key illumination (with brightness control. Hardcore)
Guide button
Software for binding bottom screen zones as keys
Virtual keyboard for bottom screen which works with fullscreen games
SD instead MicroSD (Hardcore)
NanoSim instead MicroSim
Replacement battery (Hardcore)
And some others

I want to believe :p

CO_Andy

Pictured: Hardcore and Standard model. Here's an update from PGS taken from two sources (Dingoo board and FragHero)

FragHero said:
Hi, FragHero.
Many thanks from PGS Team!

Several unique facts of which we have not spoken:

1. We do not want to go on Kickstarter. Currently, we are negotiating with several investors.
2. We have big plans for PGS. We also began to think in advance about the next revision of the PGS, which will be built on the next generation Atom processors from Intel (Apollo Lake).
3. At the moment, we are in talks with Intel about the possibility of increasing the frequency of the GPU.
4. Intel took our project to review, and promised to support their part, including the step of advertising and promotion.
5. PGS is the only device with the screen less than 10 inches in the world that can emulate PS2 with fullspeed.
6. Many people doubt the performance of Atom x7 Z8700… Of course, its performance is far from the performance of a desktop gaming PC. However, this performance is quite enough for comfortable play in HD on most existing PC games:
Some gaming performance tests from our target-hardware rig (z8700/4gb):

Batman: Arkham City (hd, min, 30-35fps)
DmC: Devil May Cry (hd, min, 25-30fps)
Dark Souls 2 (hd, mid, 26-31fps)
Mirrors Edge (hd, min, 36-42fps)
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (hd, mid, 27-32fps)

PGS commentating on the latest revision on Dingoo said:
eMMC instead SSD
Key illumination (with brightness control. Hardcore)
Guide button
Software for binding bottom screen zones as keys
Virtual keyboard for bottom screen which works with fullscreen games
SD instead MicroSD (Hardcore)
NanoSim instead MicroSim
Replacement battery (Hardcore)
And some others

Guess we won't have to worry about this being a crowdfunding scam.

Mirk

If they can really get this tech into that form factor I'd pay double the price. I just can't see how they can get rid of the heat. For the fps they are showing the cpu must be in boost mode and that wont last long so choppy fps a plenty.

I dont believe it. Must be a scam and they'll either do a crowdfunding or preorder thing.

Out of nowhere, unrealistic prices and specs.

Mirk

That hardcore model makes no sense. How are you supposed to close the screen if the analog sticks are protruding?

When you rotate the top of the stick it pops out and locks into place or back and push them down and they lock down. It not a new concept and one of the few things that could happen with this device.

dwr

Some new info I found on a youtube comment by the PGS team:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i60l92f4Z08

Portable Solutions 5 days ago said:
Hi, Thank you for attention to PGS!
// "Where i can purchase"
At the moment, nowhere. We are planning to start selling in December. But this depends on many factors.

// "I can not find PGS on the Kickstarter"
Initially, we planned to develop a device using a business investor. Unfortunately, we went with the opinion with the investor. The investor would like to convert the product to the next low-quality junk. While we want to do as a qualitative device as possible. Eventually we going to try luck at Kickstarter. Most likely in the coming week.

Link to a draft of our page:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pgslab/981507127?token=c0c2fbd9

// "do you have prototype?"
Currently, we have several "frankenstein" prototypes. Unfortunately, at the moment they are visually far from the final renders. They based on Microsoft Surface 3 (128\4) stuffing, and it has the same performance. As soon as we have an industrial prototype, we are pleased to show his.

// "2016Q4"
This date we promised our partner manufacturer. Even if we have to move the release date, I do not think that will be a big shift.

// Why so cheap?
Because we can:) The approximate cost of the base model - $ 200. We have big plans for our product, and its future generations (Apollo Like), and we would like to earn a reputation in the eyes of the target audience, get fanbase. Retail will be a little more expensive.

// Retail Constacts?
Currently - nope. We plan to sell our product from Gearbest and Amazon.

// Can you show prototype benchmarks video?
Can, but the results will not differ from the results of testing Surface 3 (128/4), full of them on the web.
In truth, PGS is not the best choice for the most demanding games, like Witcher 3, DOOM 4 etc, but we must remember that these games less than one percent. Battlefield 3? No problem. Mass Effect trilogy in HD? Why not? Bioshock trology? Sure. Skyrim, Fallout 3? Yes. Tens of thousands of great games that are not available on phones and handheld game consoles.

PGS team - fans of the handheld gaming devices. We do not aim to release the device to just make money. We want to do something really new, comfortable, high-quality, popular. And we will do everything in our power to make it. I hope that answered all the questions. If we missed something, ask us. Good luck!

Preorder - Comming June (Kickstarter). But, if you want to see some reviews and final samples test, we recommend you to wait for retail (approximately december).

iavi

Steam BPM is hard enough to get running on an actual PC with multiple monitors. This little handheld is supposed to do it seamlessly?

#Teamfake

Top Bottom