• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In terms of natural beauty, which US state do you think is best? Prove it with a pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
dsc_2057.jpg

images

California.

These aren't natural landscapes...

Two Words

It's hard to take these pictures seriously with all of the HDR photos taken nowadays. Makes everything look like a Disney cartoon.

HStallion

It's hard to take these pictures seriously with all of the HDR photos taken nowadays. Makes everything look like a Disney cartoon.

Like I said earlier in this thread some color correction, HDR, etc. doesn't make these places any less beautiful in real life. There is a reason a lot of these spots are well photographed and visited by tourists, hikers, etc. and that's because many are awe inspiring landscapes.

I've lived in Montana, Wyoming, Arizona, and I'm currently living in Washington/Oregon (I live in Vancouver and I'd say my time spent in each state is evenly divided). I'm an avid hiker/camper so I've spent alot of time surrounded by the beauty of each state I've lived in. But I gotta say, Montana to me is the most beautiful. Everything there makes you feel so small and insignificant. There's only like 3 major cities in the whole state (and non of them are as big as Portland or Seattle), there's not very many people so when you're out in the wilderness you truly feel alone. No light pollution from distant cities in the night sky, no sounds/sites of civilization, not even cell service. Montanas landscapes are untouched.

Hiking or camping in the PNW is beautiful and fun, but you always have this feeling that civilization is close. What those pictures of Oregon or Washington don't show are the parking lots and viewpoints just out of frame. Or the crowds of tourists during the summer. Sure you can research and find secret locations no one knows about (I know of a few ;)) but even if you hike several miles to a secluded location, there's always little signs of civilization.

I grew up in Montana, so I might be a little biased. But goddamn is it beautiful.

Nafai1123

Banned
I'm obviously biased since I'm born and raised in California, but the state has so much diversity it's hard to say otherwise. We've really got it all.

Laekon

I'm obviously biased since I'm born and raised in California, but the state has so much diversity it's hard to say otherwise. We've really got it all.
This about sums it up. While a few other states have the same mix of mountains, forest, and desert, none of those states also have the varied coastline that California has. The only things missing are the fall foliage of the Northeast and the slot canyons of the Southwest.

South Carolina does have its upsides...

I have to say there are prettier states on the whole, like Montana. But there's something to be said for SC's variety. From the mountainous northwest, to the forests, to the rural plains, to the marshes, and finally to the beaches on the east.

I think one could argue that South Carolina is consistently the most pleasant state year-round. A lot of these photos are cherry-picking the best spots in a state at the best time of the year. In SC, there are gorgeous places year-round.

We also have the best beaches in America. Period.

mb_f2441e3e-7a24-4d12-9868-24dcaf616adb.jpg

Huntington-Beach-State-Park-46806.jpg

huntington-beach-state-park-17176.jpg

HStallion

I think one could argue that South Carolina is consistently the most pleasant state year-round. A lot of these photos are cherry-picking the best spots in a state at the best time of the year. In SC, there are gorgeous places year-round.

Plus, c'mon, we have Charleston:

fpo-1.jpg

Just to point again that isn't a natural landscape though I won't argue it isn't a beautiful state but not the best photo to show things off when complaining about the photos others are using to high light states.

Edit: And I see you updated your post ;D

Just to point again that isn't a natural landscape though I won't argue it isn't a beautiful state but not the best photo to show things off when complaining about the photos others are using to high light states.

Yeah, sorry about that. I realized it after posting. Changed it.

Probably have to go with Alaska. Nearly every state has beauty in it, but Alaska really has so much beauty it's unbelievable. Not going to post because I'm sure someone else has a better photo of Alaska.

I love that you can google every state with "Statename Scenic" and get incredible, diverse photos.

Nice photo of Mt. Sugarloaf in Massachusetts, not a large mountain, but a pretty view of the Berkshires in the west.

Mt. greylock, the highest point in Massachusetts and part of the Appalachian Trail

And there's obviously the Massachusetts coast which is beautiful, but there are also a lot of built up towns along the coast line leaving little that hasn't been thoroughly settled. MA does not come close for most beautiful/scenic, but I am still always impressed with the natural beauty of Massachusetts.

Jeff-DSA

Real answers: Alaska and Hawaii.

In the lower 48, it's really hard to pick, but nothing is as diverse as Utah. That's for dang sure. I mean, this is all from the same state...and not a particularly large one.

Real answers: Alaska and Hawaii.

In the lower 48, it's really hard to pick, but nothing is as diverse as Utah. That's for dang sure. I mean, this is all from the same state...and not a particularly large one.
Yeah, not really sure myself (there are so many great choices... California, Washington, Montana, Colorado, etc), but Utah is definitely a great pick:

Eusis

Gotta be Texas!

35bW2Dv.jpg
Can a state cause Stockholm Syndrome?
Yeah some great pics here but a good percentage are processed to hell and back.
More importantly they're views we normally won't see. I joked about the Texas one but that's closer to what you'd normally see (though most states at least have more green from my experience!), it's not like many of us can have a home with those sort of scenic views or even work at/visit that sort of thing on a regular basis.

tr00per

Probably California.

Not going to bother with a pic.

Edit: Wait, are we talking people or landscape? I was answering for people.

Lol i thought it was people too

Sadly this thread is full of retouched pictures :/

I'd have to give it to Alaska, the rocky states, or Hawaii

Xe4

Banned
Utah is the most gorgeous state in my opinion. Most variety and all of it is beautiful. It's the most consistently beautiful too.

maze-08.jpg

arches-sandstone-formations_2102_600x450.jpg

utah-mountains.jpg

green-river.jpg

6b948e8db908232cbf383f3abc84e3fe.jpg

2984D5DC3191A20C0FDE22B4D438AD58.jpg

Going to agree with those saying California and Hawaii.
But in my opinion, Alaska is overall best. Words can not describe it's beauty.
If you ever want to see what Skyrim would look like irl, go up there around August.
Some random pics:

Probably have to go with Alaska. Nearly every state has beauty in it, but Alaska really has so much beauty it's unbelievable. Not going to post because I'm sure someone else has a better photo of Alaska.

I love that you can google every state with "Statename Scenic" and get incredible, diverse photos.

Nice photo of Mt. Sugarloaf in Massachusetts, not a large mountain, but a pretty view of the Berkshires in the west.

Mt. greylock, the highest point in Massachusetts and part of the Appalachian Trail

And there's obviously the Massachusetts coast which is beautiful, but there are also a lot of built up towns along the coast line leaving little that hasn't been thoroughly settled. MA does not come close for most beautiful/scenic, but I am still always impressed with the natural beauty of Massachusetts.

I need to check those places out next time I'm in in MA. As a New Englander I'm ashamed I've never been.

TheYanger

It's funny how natural beauty basically means places humans haven't touched lol.

I mean...yes? I get what you're going for but it's a flawed argument since Natural Beauty literally precludes human structures. Of course, humans have 'touched' all of these places, we just haven't built over them.

There are insanely beautiful pieces of work that are unnatural, built by humans, but that's not what is being asked for here.

EDIT: That northern lights timelapse...man, the aurora borealis is something I really need to see before I die. I can't even begin to describe how amazing that shit looks to me. Just the video is making me think about the universe and life and everything, maybe I'm weird.

ironcreed

Banned
EDIT: That northern lights timelapse...man, the aurora borealis is something I really need to see before I die. I can't even begin to describe how amazing that shit looks to me. Just the video is making me think about the universe and life and everything, maybe I'm weird.

Not weird at all. Getting away from it all and seeing scenes like that would be an incredibly powerful and reflective experience. That is what I want to do, myself.

v1lla21

California has a wide variety of beautiful things. We have beaches, redwoods, desert, Yosemite, etc. All within a few hours.

Here's a picture of Big Sur, along Pacific Coast Highway (one of the best drives you can take):

big-sur-774901.jpg
The beaches there are amazing. I go almost every Monday during summer. Such beautiful place to be at. Nothing like staying at Caramel, going to Monterey for some sushi, and driving down by the beach.

after visiting about 17 states i'd have to say it's a tie between quite a few. many parts of california, arizona, virginia, pennsylvania, maryland, north carolina, etc etc are all stunning in their own ways. the united states is blessed with the variety of amazing natural things to see

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Haven't read the thread and don't have time to post a pic but I don't see how Hawaii doesn't win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom