• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WikiLeaks releases video of US Apache helicopter (now with added RPGs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hari Seldon

Pandaman said:
i'm loling at grandiose assholes who think its acceptable for helicopter pilots to murder a dozen innocent people because they were 'hiding suspiciously' from a helicopter they probably never even saw or considered. all because they were in the same area of a convoy and group of 'insurgents' they also probably knew nothing about.

stupid civilians should be more psychic i guess.

Finally, most people can understand and accept the corner rpg angle from a helicopter gunner whose tense. unluckily for everyone involved, there's a whole bucket load of inexcusably shit in these videos, so maybe you should watch more than the first 5 minutes or atleast stop obfuscating everyones disapproval with the very first incident.

Well I actually think the first attack was perfectly acceptable especially considering the circumstances. The answer is not monday morning quarterback pilots in a life or death situation, the answer is to not go to war so shit like this doesn't happen at all.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Well, I'm an outsider so this story doesn't really touch me (except it's atrocius). Actually I agree with people saying it's war, shit happens, blah-blah-blah (that's not making war any better however), but I can't understand how people here are wonder why no major outlets are reporting this story.

Well, back in 2008 after the first reports from South Ossetia (not official reports, I'm talking about blogs and people calling their relatives) about Saakashvili setting sleeping Tshinval on fire with mass-destruction weapons I visited CNN, BBC, NYTIMES, Guardian to get an alternative take on the story, since I don't believe our official media and I wanted to know THE TRUTH :lol

Nothing. People are dying under BM-21 Grad rockets in their homes in Tshinval and they report nothing. Then our official media kicked in, I had their point and went to sleep. Next morning I hit CNN, BBC, NYTIMES, Guardian. Still nothing. I'm like wtf, civil people are dying there and there is no way they don't know this because it's been like that for like 12 hours now. Then later this day our tanks went to burning Tshinval. I visit CNN - and voila! The story is all over the place!! Russia is atacking Georgia!! It was a day of great dissapointment in humanity and West in general for me. I thought that there's such thing as freedom of speech there and people are really trying to report facts, truth and so on. But then I was watching some equivalent of Brejnev TV. It was disgusting. I understood that no matter where you are the government will always try to brainwash you and fuck you over. I was depressed for a few days. It's all about walking in line.

Then BBC started EDITING quotes of our officials. Like cutting phrases, words to make them sound in appropriate way for... who (heh)? And that was it. I've never visited CNN, BBC considering them propaganda tools and not professional news outlets.

But I am an outsider, it's ok for me not knowing such things and have some illusions about other countries. But you people, I thought you knew how it really is, since you live there. God bless the free internet. Free for now.

Kandrick said:
Accident ? Is it an accident to shoot the dudes in the van who stops by, who are obviously trying to help the guy still alive, like to bring him to hospital ? A van with 2 kids inside ? An accident yeah.... They just wanted to blow shit up.

At this point they are still under the impression they are terrorists or enemy combatants. The guys picking them up could be other terrorists trying to save their mates and reclaim their weapons (im sure they would prefer them to be left so they can get their details/ interrogate the one still alive for intel), if it was reversed do you think the taliban/ terrorists would allow the americans to rescue their injured troops? Not a chance in hell.

All a big accident, their attitudes are shameful tho.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Do you know what an rpg looks like?

This being a gaming forum, I'd imagine most of us DO know what a RPG looks like. Now take a trained military pilot and gunner, would you not say that they should probably be even more aware of what one looks like than us?

Korey

MSNBC gained a lot of points with me today.

I don't see CNN not covering this at all, I'm hoping they're preparing their story right now.

My own opinion of this whole thing is conflicted, as I don't think the soldiers knowingly fired on civilians/journalists. But this needs to be seen by as many eyes as possible.

Vyer

Tough video to watch. Very sad.

That dude who crouched behind the building probably accelerated the chain of events for all of them. :(

the gunner sounded pretty trigger happy, like listening to some dude playing CoD on Live.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Do you know what an rpg looks like?
there might be a few models i'm unfamiliar with. the iraqi military uses the 7 though and i do know what that looks like. pretty much anyone whose ever played a shooter game knows that one.

phoenixdark said:
The man was hiding behind a corner and seemed to be aiming in the direction of the helicopter at one point.
the man was not hiding.

taylor910

Can someone explain to me where the camera thing came from? I just watched the whole video and that is not mentioned once.

A soldier on the ground even says, "I see what looks to be an rpg where you said you engaged the target" or something like that. The choppers tell them to get pictures of everything.

Im confused...

That was fucking disturbing to watch. Saying "nice" at the sight of dead bodies isn't a normal human reaction, I hope all the people involved got or get some serious psychological counseling.

taylor910 said:
Can someone explain to me where the camera thing came from? I just watched the whole video and that is not mentioned once.

A soldier on the ground even says, "I see what looks to be an rpg where you said you engaged the target" or something like that. The choppers tell them to get pictures of everything.

Im confused...

We know two of the guys who were shot were reporters. The "RPG" was much too small, and the "AK" was clearly a tripod. So, what do you think?

kyo_daikun said:
At this point they are still under the impression they are terrorists or enemy combatants. The guys picking them up could be other terrorists trying to save their mates and reclaim their weapons (im sure they would prefer them to be left so they can get their details/ interrogate the one still alive for intel), if it was reversed do you think the taliban/ terrorists would allow the americans to rescue their injured troops? Not a chance in hell.

All a big accident, their attitudes are shameful tho.

ok, stop with this bullshit.
NOTHING pointed that the van driver was a terrorist.

The injured guy was crawling on his knees into the street around the corner.
The van guy didn't even see the massacre. He just saw a guy laying in the dirt who needs help and so he stopped. He didn't know that there were like 11 dead people maybe 50 meters away.

there was like no reason at all to assume that the van-guy was somehow related to the other people.

mugurumakensei said:
1) Unless you only want to kill yourself and your allies, you don't aim a rpg to the ground.
2) The supposed "rpg" was seen earlier in the video. It's quite small.

1.) You can point the RPG at the ground without killing yourself. It's not the posture but the trigger that does that.

2.) You have the privilege of going back and reviewing the tape, the soldiers in the helicopter did not.

daw840

Alucrid said:
He was aiming his camera street level so nothing was point at the sky.

Jesus. How many times does it have to be said. The Apache was there to provide support for a convoy on the ground. They thought that the guy was peaking around the corner waiting for the convoy to come and then shoot it with the supposed RPG. The apache was never under the impression that they themselves were in any danger, only the forces on the ground.

GhaleonEB

From the HuffPo story:

Just last month, WikiLeaks posted the results of a U.S. counterintelligence investigation into none other than WikiLeaks itself. The report determined that WikiLeaks "represents a potential force protection, counterintelligence, operational security (OPSEC), and information security (INFOSEC) threat to the US Army."

The report also concludes, highly suggestively: "Wikileaks.org uses trust as a center of gravity by assuring insiders, leakers, and whistleblowers who pass information to Wikileaks.org personnel or who post information to the Web site that they will remain anonymous. The identification, exposure, or termination of employment of or legal actions against current or former insiders, leakers, or whistleblowers could damage or destroy this center of gravity and deter others from using Wikileaks.org to make such information public."
So by using military resources and intelligence to retaliate against the whistle blowers by targeting and outing them, they hope to suppress additional releases by removing Wikileaks' ability to protect their ananymity.

If there were any justice in the world, this would be a massive scandal with considerable fall out. In ADDITION to the fallout from the video itself.

There's not, of course.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
mello said:

foxnewsucks-1.jpg

UGH

Banned
DarthWoo said:
This being a gaming forum, I'd imagine most of us DO know what a RPG looks like. Now take a trained military pilot and gunner, would you not say that they should probably be even more aware of what one looks like than us?
They should, and they probably do. That looks like an rpg to me.

To me, that looks like a guy peaking around the wall with an rpg resting against the side of his torso. Not a camera. Add that with the fact that he is with a group carrying AK's....

Aesius

Zombie James said:
That was fucking disturbing to watch. Saying "nice" at the sight of dead bodies isn't a normal human reaction, I hope all the people involved got or get some serious psychological counseling.

It's not a normal human reaction, but it's a normal military reaction. As others have said, when you join the military and are assigned to a combative role, you are trained to think of the enemy as just that - the fucking enemy. You don't sit and ponder the implications of killing dozens of people, you just do it. And you might brag about it, because that's the culture of military dudes who are deployed. It's not up to you to decide whether that's right or wrong. That attitude is encouraged because it helps get the job done.

Whether the job itself is right is another issue. But taking offense because someone in the military killed people (who he thought were the enemy) and was happy about it is just naive as fuck. And recommending they get counseling? :lol

GAZERK said:
2.) You have the privilege of going back and reviewing the tape, the soldiers in the helicopter did not.

The soldiers also had plenty of time to wait and assess rather than getting trigger happy considering that group never fired on anyone.

They should, and they probably do. That looks like an rpg to me.

To me, that looks like a guy peaking around the wall with an rpg resting against the side of his torso. Not a camera. Add that with the fact that he is with a group carrying AK's....

You mean tripods. Or did you seriously not pay that much attention to the video?

Pandaman said:
there might be a few models i'm unfamiliar with. the iraqi military uses the 7 though and i do know what that looks like. pretty much anyone whose ever played a shooter game knows that one.

the man was not hiding.

He wasn't crouching behind a corner? Come on. I'm so tired of the monday morning quarterbacking these types of issues spawn. At 4:09 it certainly looks like the man is getting ready to fire something, that's not debatable; he stands up and seems to point at the helicopter just as the view is obscured by the building. Even if the video is disturbing, it's odd people cannot put themselves in the soldiers shoes and admit this was a high tension, dangerous situation and yes, mistakes can be made in those situations.

I'm done with this thread. I see where this is going.

taylor910

mugurumakensei said:
We know two of the guys who were shot were reporters. The "RPG" was much too small, and the "AK" was clearly a tripod. So, what do you think?

Just trying not to jump to conclusions. If it is DEFINITELY NOT an rpg, then how is it DEFINITELY a tripod? and a camera?

My thinking is, this isnt just a random group of guys they decide to harass. They are there watching them for valid reasons (I believe).

Besides, dont reporters follow the terrorists in some cases? Film them, interview them?

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
While I'm glad Fox News put that up, "Appears to show...?" What the hell do they have to do to move to "Shows?"

Aesius

PhoenixDark said:
He wasn't crouching behind a corner? Come on. I'm so tired of the monday morning quarterbacking these types of issues spawn. At 4:09 it certainly looks like the man is getting ready to fire something, that's not debatable; he stands up and seems to point at the helicopter just as the view is obscured by the building. Even if the video is disturbing, it's odd people cannot put themselves in the soldiers shoes and admit this was a high tension, dangerous situation and yes, mistakes can be made in those situations.

Moral high horse GAF is eating this thread up.

taylor910 said:
Just trying not to jump to conclusions. If it is DEFINITELY NOT an rpg, then how is it DEFINITELY a tripod? and a camera?

Cause the "AK", tripod, was large enough to be clearly seen while the supposed rpg was not. Now, I'm no expert but generally a missile launcher is larger than an AK.

Stridone

Banned
Zombie James said:

What should they say? A prayer every time they kill a terrorist piece of scum (which they believed they just killed)? Especially from their position, where it really is hardly more than a video game, it's hard to really feel bad about killing some human-shaped figures. I think it's understandable, especially if you've already got some war experience.

Odrion

Banned
Aesius said:
It's not a normal human reaction, but it's a normal military reaction. As others have said, when you join the military and are assigned to a combative role, you are trained to think of the enemy as just that - the fucking enemy. You don't sit and ponder the implications of killing dozens of people, you just do it. And you might brag about it, because that's the culture of military dudes who are deployed. It's not up to you to decide whether that's right or wrong. That attitude is encouraged because it helps get the job done.

Whether the job itself is right is another issue. But taking offense because someone in the military killed people (who he thought were the enemy) and was happy about it is just naive as fuck. And recommending they get counseling? :lol
Yeah, anyone who thinks this a bunch of bad apples are wrong. This is the result of the system, not the soldiers.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Stridone said:
What should they say? A prayer every time they kill a terrorist piece of scum (which they believed they just killed)? Especially from their position, where it really is hardly more than a video game, it's hard to really feel bad about killing some human-shaped figures. I think it's understandable, especially if you've already got some war experience.

2a827hu.jpg

mugurumakensei said:
The soldiers also had plenty of time to wait and assess rather than getting trigger happy considering that group never fired on anyone.

Plenty of time being several minutes? Sure, to us that's a lot of time, but when you're worrying about some bad dudes blowing up friendlies you don't have "plenty of time."

El_TigroX said:
While I'm glad Fox News put that up, "Appears to show...?" What the hell do they have to do to move to "Shows?"

It's that way on MSNBC too. It's because there's no direct confirmation that the people killed in that video were the reporters even though it's pretty safe to assume so.

GAZERK said:
Plenty of time being several minutes? Sure, to us that's a lot of time, but when you're worrying about some bad dudes blowing up friendlies you don't have "plenty of time."

The group never fired even when fired upon. The military had more than several minutes too considering the convoy got their a while after the group was shot.

Aesius said:

If they are trained to enjoy/brag about killing people then maybe, just maybe they are doing it wrong? And people wonder why America gets a bad press?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
PhoenixDark said:

the man was not crouching behind anything. your perception of this is borne solely from your point of view from the gunners seat. the man was standing and crouching on a streetcorner in the bright light of the day with a group of his buddies. the man was an innocent civilian. he wasn't trying to hide from the helicopter he never saw. nothing he did makes him responsible for that slaughter in any sense of the word.

Brinbe

PhoenixDark said:

Come on, let us shoot!

Oh, yeah, right through the windshield! HA HA!

image-83C3_4BBA3120.gif

66zIg.gif

Enosh

mugurumakensei said:
The group never fired even when fired upon. The military had more than several minutes too considering the convoy got their a while after the group was shot.
the convoy was in range to fire shots at the group seconds after the helicopter did

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom