• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2016

ps3ud0

There is a chance that PS4 has outsold XBO by 2:1 this month.
Hmm so how do you reconcile that with your earlier thoughts that just over 200k isnt that great for PS4 because U4 launched. It sounds like it prevented a decent drop...

ps3ud0 8)

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Number 2 is at least 387K, right?

As DOOM sold more than DOOM 3 [PC] launch month.

If it's late 2017 that's a bad thing to focus on this far away...unless they just don't care about xb1 sales

It's not that they dont care, it's the fact you can't just keep slashing the price every 5 mins. What else can they do but slash the price again really? Of which it's not really helping outside of the main selling season.

It's all down to the rebranding/slim and then the new upgraded system to try and turn the tide. But it's not like Sony is going to sit on their hands and do nothing. I don't see a way out for them. It's past that now this gen.

Zemm

Been hearing a lot of people saying that Overwatch was going to run over everyone. Well, not only did UC4 prove that wrong (on a single platform), but man, Doom did it too. Impressive.

This only makes sense if you ignore digital where Overwatch PC will have run over everyone.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Hmm so how do you reconcile that with your earlier thoughts that just over 200k isnt that great for PS4 because U4 launched. It sounds like it prevented a decent drop...

ps3ud0 8)

I would say that is more like a doomed month for XBO. :p

Remember, i didn't said PS4 didn't sold great this month, i just saying that for me isn't very impressive... it's actually good 200K in a slow month, just imo not that good.

Fady K

Sony will still count it as a PS4. The software will still be PS4. It is about ecosystem now.

More than likely the same for MSFT. Software will still be labeled PS4 on the box, with maybe an, 'Enhanced on PS4K' or the like.

They are in the same x86/64 ecosystem, with better pricing on the smaller process, which would have been more expensive to stick to the old fab. The power upgrade is all a bonus and working out to their ecosystem model from the beginning. Another reason both went with AMD tech.

That would be great if so, makes it a more natural extension and won't divide the PS4 community.

Welcome back by the way :D

Bgamer90

Banned
Gears is not going to change the tide.

I never said it's going to change the tide. I simply implied that Gears is a big first party title that shouldn't be brushed off yet (especially not for North America) considering it's one of the biggest console exclusives releasing this year.

Do you think Gears will do anything that Halo 5 didn't? Let's be realistic here.

Considering that the Gears series hasn't had as rough of a past 4-5 year period as the Halo series, yes it's possible. I'm not saying it will though. Just stating that it's too soon to jump to conclusions in my opinion.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That would be great if so, makes it a more natural extension and won't divide the PS4 community.

Welcome back by the way :D

Agreed. It seems the most logical, less confusing way.

And thanks, lol.

I never said it's going to change the tide. I simply implied that Gears is a big first party title that shouldn't be brushed off yet (especially not for North America) considering it's one of the biggest console exclusives releasing this year.

Agreed. It may do better than Halo 5, especially with the first party drought on their system right now.

Audioboxer

The issues for Microsoft are not really in the US anyway imo.

Well yes it's way worse outside the US.

Issue for MS always has been outside of the US. It's just this generation when they get their cosy US rug pulled from under their feet it shows how bad they need to work on things outside the US even more.

EU Sony gamers even bought into the arrogant Sony PS3 era, they're the biggest threat to MS.

MS need to do work in Europe and keep failing to. Last gen they had the UK helping them, but even the UK has been flipped this gen.

Less of the America fuck yeah MS. This gen you've finally been embarrassed with that leading you. We know you're an American company and America is awesome but Sony is a Japanese company and has still managed to work hard to tie up Europe.

Not even going to lie as primarily a Sony fan I want MS doing much better than this. Arrogant Sony while fun for a while usually ends up eating itself eventually. Although Kutaragi is now away competition is healthy and needed. Pick up the pace MS. You guys should have had your Neo coming out this year, before Sony even. Not at the tail end of 2017 with One sales like this.

Instead we have fucking streaming boxes rumoured for this year. Woo hoo.

I would hope so, being on 3 platforms and attractuve impulse pricing on the PC where the majority of their fanbase is.

I mean PC digital is what really matters anyway. Might've sold more on PC alone without even taking consoles into account. It's a Blizzard game so if it hasn't already, it will in the long run.

Guymelef

I would say that is more like a doomed month for XBO. :p

Remember, i didn't said PS4 didn't sold great this month, i just saying that for me isn't very impressive... it's actually good 200K in a slow month, just imo not that good.

Well, it's the best May since launch, how it's not that good?

Javin98

Banned
PS4 being up YoY by at least 32% is pretty good to me, especially since it was essentially flat the last two months. Now we just need the cream pies!!

Javin98

Banned
*Crying*

...I still remember how i was hyped for this game in 2013, and hell, even before launch. Bought the game at D1, and now i totally abandoned it. :(
Sorry, bruh, but if you bought a Ubisoft game at day one and got disappointed, joke's on you! :p

AdanVC

Nintendo has been doing so badly this last 6 months. Literally, how are they managing to survive?? At least in the US. So freaking depressive and as a Wii U only owner I'm so salty of course.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I believe Amazon is selling Xbox One for $299 since last year, they never increase the price in 2016.

Still, in others places the price was $349 with $50 gift card.

Best Buy has been $50 gift carding and game bundling as well since last year. So clearly a MSFT 'unofficial' move.

Not to mention heavy Live sub discounts for quite a while.

Fezan

I don't know why but I expected uc4 to sell more. Uc3 had much stiffer competition and less advertising than uc4

Don't see 299 helping x1 much at all, it's been easy to get x1 for 299 since Jan very easy at most retailers.

I don't know why but I expected uc4 to sell more. Uc3 had much stiffer competition and less advertising than uc4

It also had a far bigger install base and released in the holiday season.

Mooreberg

It is hard to believe that Nintendo feels no sense of urgency to reveal the NX sooner. Wii U is beyond done. Also, how much do we suspect that GTA V sold this month? I'm betting Battleborn is a lot closer to that than Doom.

Sterok

Nintendo has been doing so badly this last 6 months. Literally, how are they managing to survive?? At least in the US. So freaking depressive and as a Wii U only owner I'm so salty of course.

February-April were great (relatively) for Nintendo. Fire Emblem did great, Pokken and Twilight Princess did great, Star Fox did better than it should've done based on critical reception, the 3DS put up decent numbers in February and March, and they were the top software publisher in April. This month is bad because they're not releasing anything. Can't sell what you don't have.

Top Bottom