• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War details, in-depth RPG systems, No load screens, plus more

HardRojo

This game is going to be amazing, I just know it, but as a big GoW fan I gotta say it's going to be really hard to top GoW III's opening, that was a thing of beauty.

I had few days to think about the new GOW and i like it a lot, especially since Corey is the one directing it. It needed these changes to keep GOW fresh. The game is the most humane Kratos i have seen, which is great.

This game is going to be amazing, I just know it, but as a big GoW fan I gotta say it's going to be really hard to top GoW III's opening, that was a thing of beauty.

Cory Barlog was the director of GOW2 and the designer of GoW III's opening before he left the team. So don't let your expectations go down. ;)

Monocle

I am digging this new direction. The action of God of War was always second tier to the greats, and this gives it a way to invent a new personality and perhaps break some new ground while we're at it. It looks astonishing, of course. I didn't think I even wanted to play another God of War if it starred Kratos, but they went in probably the only solitary direction I could have been interested in the character helming the franchise again. I'll reserve judgment for if it plays any good for when I get a hands on or I hear trusted GAFer impressions, but it sounds rad for now.
Totally agreed. This new direction seems like a great way for the GoW series to distinguish itself from the rest of the genre.

Very interesting infos from this French site: http://www.jeuxactu.com/god-of-war-on-a-revu-papy-kratos-et-on-a-de-nouveaux-details-104578.htm

The journalist watched the behind closed doors demo and was able to ask Cory Barlog about the game.

- The behind closed doors demo was more about showing the exploration side of the game.
- He asked whether the game was running on PS4K but Cory Barlog confirmed that it was running on a regular PS4.
- He asked him whether the game will have a skill tree and Cory Barlog was reluctant to answer and didn't neither confirm it nor deny it. He only replied that they are still working on that aspect.
- The axe is not only helpful in combat, but also in exploration, like collecting objects and items: for example there is a distant object that you can't reach or you need to walk for some time to get it, just throw your axe on it and call it back, it will retrieve the object with it.
-The axe has really amazing complex combos connecting the throwing and the recovering of it: You hit an enemy with the axe or other weapon, you throw your axe on the enemy (you can probably continue punching him or beating him with another weapon) then you jump, and instantly call your axe midair and beat him or finish him from the airs.

Loudninja

Very interesting infos from this French site: http://www.jeuxactu.com/god-of-war-on-a-revu-papy-kratos-et-on-a-de-nouveaux-details-104578.htm

The journalist watched the behind closed doors demo and was able to ask Cory Barlog about the game.

- The behind closed doors demo was more about showing the exploration side of the game.
- He asked whether the game was running on PS4K but Cory Barlog confirmed that it was running on a regular PS4.
- He asked him whether the game will have a skill tree and Cory Barlog was reluctant to answer and didn't neither confirm it nor deny it. He only replied that they are still working on that aspect.
- The axe is not only helpful in combat, but also in exploration, like collecting objects and items: for example there is a distant object that you can't reach or you need to walk for some time to get it, just throw your axe on it and call it back, it will bring the object with it.
-The axe has really amazing complex combos connecting the throwing and the recovering of it: You hit an enemy with the axe or other weapon, you throw your axe on the enemy (you can probably continue punching him or beating him with another weapon) then you jump, and instantly call your axe midair and beat him or finish him from the airs.
Sounds great we seen some this in the demo.

No no talking about the gameplay vid lol

You know the part when he jump up midair and attack the troll with the axe.

No no. You didn't get it. The one in the Sony conference demo was after triggering "Spartan Rage" His axe wasn't thrown on the troll and he used his punches, then he used his axe to finish off the grounded troll.
I meant there are special complex combos where: you fight using the axe, then throw it on the enemy (maybe fix him to a wall or stun him if he is big), then jump and in mid-air you immediately call it then do an areal attack or finisher with it like the complex combos from fighting games.

No no. You didn't get it. The one in the Sony conference demo was after triggering "Spartan Rage" His axe wasn't thrown on the troll and he used his punches, then he used his axe to finish off the grounded troll.
I meant there are specialcomplex combos where: you fight using the axe, then throw it on the enemy (maybe fix him to a wall or stun him if he is big), then jump and in mid-air you quickly call it then do an areal attack or finisher with it like the complex combos from fighting games.

E3 demo had that move.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ_GCPaKywg
At 5:05

Glad to see axe throwing combos are confirmed. That's what the demo was hinting at and it's nice to see it confirmed.

I want to see a combo where you throw the axe on a damaged aerial enemy (after you've launched them or some such) followed up by an axe throw. Would love to see how far the axe and enemies go.

I wonder if :
- the barlight reacts to the axe's powers and other conditions.
- the speaker is used for something (maybe when using the horn)
- touch controls are used for something like giving special commands or directions to his son.
-motion controls are used for aiming or some movements like shaking to free yourself from something that may capture you.

Two Words

I wonder if :
- the barlight reacts to the axe's powers and other conditions.
- the speaker is used for something (maybe when using the horn)
- touch controls are used for something like giving special commands or directions to his son.
-motion controls for aiming or some movements like shaking to free yourself from something that may capture you.

Why

Corto

Don't know if this was hinted in some way, but I was thinking of the possibility of Kratos being the father/creator of Norse Pantheon. He destroyed the Greek Gods and now he will create the Norse ones. The kid would be Odin. Could be neat.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Wow, even in his old age Kratos is still pretty damn strong!

giphy.gif

so, I was watching the official trailer and compare it with the one from Sony press live stream. just realized they're not the exact playthrough. the one in the official trailer you can see Kratos only use the basic 4 hit combo which I assume is the basic square (changed to one of the shoulder button in this game) button combo.

there are also variable speed with the same basic combo, Kratos use the combo a couple times in the trailer, but sometimes the animation are quick while other time slower or have delays between attack. not sure if there are effect like holding the button longer for stronger damage, or the player simply delay the button press timing.

more interesting, in the livestream. Kratos have different attack animation that I assume is the strong attack, the triangle button in old GoW. you can see Cory try combination of what I assume is /\,/\ and [],/\,[] in the live stream.

the strong attack noticeably have longer animation compare to old GoW triangle attack, in old GoW, triangle attack is usually more about the wide sweeping attack rather than stronger attack I think. so I guess they make distinction for it being the strong slow attack this time.

Vaga

- The axe is not only helpful in combat, but also in exploration, like collecting objects and items: for example there is a distant object that you can't reach or you need to walk for some time to get it, just throw your axe on it and call it back, it will retrieve the object with it.

mgs5bcdefk6u2t.gif

No way this gets a march release like other GoWs in 2017, right?

I'm glad they went for a new direction with this. I don't mind Naughty Dog effect in other sony first party titles, because it means we can have games with awesome narratives and well realized gameplay. But I really hope this new GOW is more like TLOU itself and not like Left Behind and Uncharted4 with really long non-gameplay sections. I seriously can't take that anymore.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

That sounds surprisingly much like how Thor used Mjolnir in Norse mythology, as in that he would throw it and it would return to him. Hmm....

The fact that it has RPG elements, crafting and no loads is pretty goddamn impressive. Count me in as another one that would love to see/know more :).

VinFTW

I wanted a traditional God of War game, I really did, but... dare I say, this might be my game of the show, especially with these new details.

Idk, at least top 3 from E3.

I think the story is going to fucking nail it.

I do agree that it's really similar to "The Last of Us" at first glance (dad-like figure and young, easily influenced kid).

do you guys think Kratos will shave his beard after the 'prologue' of the game? I mean it's kinda typical in stories right. guy have been out of his game for long time, got long hair and beard, then something happened, he's coming back to the game and then shave his beard/ cut his hair to prep himself up.

J-Skee

mgs5bcdefk6u2t.gif

No way this gets a march release like other GoWs in 2017, right?

First thing I said was that there's no way it's hitting the traditional March date. That would be the dream though. But it sounds like they're still trying to figure some mechanics out. But they can take all the time they need. All of this new info is seriously making God of War my game of E3.

bunkitz

do you guys think Kratos will shave his beard after the 'prologue' of the game? I mean it's kinda typical in stories right. guy have been out of his game for long time, got long hair and beard, then something happened, he's coming back to the game and then shave his beard/ cut his hair to prep himself up.

Sure hope not. He looks great with that beard. Looking at old Kratos now, it's kind of hard to tolerate that face. This one? Just great.

... Bullshit. I love that axe so much already. Fuck.

I thought the thing he did with the troll where he retrieved it just as he was jumping was like a scripted kind of thing or only for special occasions but shit, it sounds like that's a move we can do anytime.

GeNoMe

I hope not. I'm digging the beard actually. Suits the setting as well.

bunkitz

There is no way that kid isnt Thor or at least heavily hinted at being Thor.

First line of dialogue from the kid
"That dull hammer doesn't scare me"

oh and he shoots fucking lightning

84KxCtx.png

Story speculation
Would not be surprised if Kratos becomes Odin by the end (ie. losing an eye) and starts Norse mythology

Would be crazy if he was Thor, but
I did think about the possibility that Kratos is the one who kickstarts the Norse gods race or something like that.
So that would be really interesting. Strange, but interesting.

valkyre

They took the time to animate that beard so awesomely, so I sure hope they dont shave him. I like him better that way.

Everyone is so sure that Kratos starts the Norse mythology is forgetting that it was already heavily pointed out that the other gods already existed at the end of GoW III.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
New thread worthy? DF test shows that new GoW again has unlocked framerate, it's always between 30 and 40, with single small dip under 30 when troll slammed Kratos from the bridge to the ground.

2016-06-1612_34_29-grgfuln.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDLsAKNIuoY

Awesome performance even in this early stage.

Problem is, are we sure it was running on the PS4?

Top Bottom