• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Wii U E3 2016 Gameplay Frame-Rate Test

I'm saying that from Nintendo's perspective, they may be thinking to themselves, that they've had consoles in the past where they tried to compete with the competition, such as the N64 and GC and that didn't work out for them. Then they decide they're not going to bother going down that route and come out with the Wii, and now suddenly they're more successful than they've ever been in their life. Then they bring out the Wii-U, which goes back to the generational jumps they did before and it's a failure just like the GC and N64.

If you look at it like that, it's quite possible that's what they feel was the major problem with the Wii-U.

You are trying hard to be a funny troll, but you only mess up this thread with pointless trash.

I'm saying that from Nintendo's perspective, they may be thinking to themselves, that they've had consoles in the past where they tried to compete with the competition, such as the N64 and GC and that didn't work out for them. Then they decide they're not going to bother going down that route and come out with the Wii, and now suddenly they're more successful than they've ever been in their life. Then they bring out the Wii-U, which goes back to the generational jumps they did before and it's a failure just like the GC and N64.

If you look at it like that, it's quite possible that's what they feel was the major problem with the Wii-U.

You do realize it's quite possible for the NX to be significantly more powerful than Wii U while still not competing in the arms race with Sony and Microsoft, correct?

test_account

XP-39C²
Df does this all the time and people seem to like such early tests.

But what concerns me: They usually do this with demos. But here they seem to test not the actual game demo but the frame rate of the YouTube video? This would be hilarious.

By the way: There is some AA obviously, otherwise there would be much more flicker in that gras.
I'm not sure how they do it, but i dont think that a video stream itself (doesnt really matter if its Youtube or not) will drop in frames. The videostream itself should be running at the same fps regardless, unless something got messed up in the encoding or if it was made like that on purpose.

I mean, if you look at it in the narrative you want me to look at it, I'd understand what you were saying.

But Wii U was still less powerful than its competition with a novel control scheme, same as the Wii. In its time, Gamecube was actually more powerful than the PS2.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
You are trying hard to be a funny troll, but you only mess up this thread with pointless trash.

Who's trolling? I'm just offering my opinions based on history and rumors. I mean, go ahead and call me a pessimist, but those are my thoughts. Hell, I'm hoping more than anyone else here that I'm wrong.

I think most of us have already put our faith in the NX version. I'm impressed that they managed to get it running up to a playable level on the Wii U. Even Xenoblade X which looks stunning has static shadows and stuff popping in 3 centimeters in front of you, things look more seamless in Zelda which is impressive but still to see it get to 20FPS is disappointing.

Overall really good. Hopefully they can smooth out the FPS during combat. Depending on what NX is, I'll likely get one and play it on NX. Hopefully the NX is rock solid with some other visual improvements.

LordRaptor

I'm not sure what your disagreeing with, but by all means let me know

Really? Okay.

Yes, cell shading was actually born as a cost saving technique as well as a visual one,

Incorrect, the first implementations of cel-shading required literally doubling the polycount of models to create the 'overdraw' edging effect; the effect was achieved by taking an existing mesh, duplicating it in its entirety, inverting its normals, and texturing it the colour of the desired outline and then expanding it to be slightly larger than the original mesh, so that when rendered the 'duplicate' mesh is visible only where the camera frustrum intersects the original model with the duplicate, providing the outline.

It was created purely for aesthetic reasons, and IIRC first demonstrated in Auto-Modellista

because you use less polygons and less detail that would otherwise be filled in to look right.

A pleasing cel-shaded effect requires a higher than normal polycount, particularly to create curved surfaces, as modern cel-shading effects utilise edge detection post-processing effects such as rim lighting.
Games without realtime lighting and shadowing can achieve a visually pleasing cel-shaded look by using a baked ramp shadow, but games with realtime lighting and shadowing offer no performance benefits from a cel-shaded aesthetic than a traditional 360 gen diffuse/specular/normal workflow does.

Cell shading is all about simplified models being shaded in a way that stylizes them to the point where you don't notice inaccuracies.

Good looking cel-shading requires an actual artist to hand draw textures in a painterly style consistent with the aesthetic.
Photo realistic texturing requires downloading a photo and maaaaaaybe using clone tool in Photoshop to make it tilable if you didn't get your photo from somewhere like CGTextures who already did that work.

Without that shading, Zelda's model would look like a below PS2 model, but because of how he is shaded, it comes to life in a different way.

Buuuuuullllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

The same goes for the rest of the world. They don't focus on realistic textures or having a lot of realistic physics to save on overhead.

Unrealistic physics still 'costs' more than no physics.

In terms of render costs, there is literally zero difference between:
seamless_cartoon_grass_texture_by_mbrockwell-d3byyeg.jpg
and

So they can animate fewer blades of grass for example with super big blades of grass that animate in a stylized way instead of having to conform to realistic large patches. Trees are simplified with designs to hide their lack of dimension and such.

Interactive 'toon' grass is more expensive than non-interactive mesh grass.
Interactive cartoon trees are more expensive than non-interactive speedtree generated meshes.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I really find pretty stupid to do framerate tests and analysises on games still in development.
Why? Nobody is passing judgement on the game yet. It's just a look at the performance in its current state. I find it's interesting data to have on hand. I looked at Halo 5 last year, for instance, and it ran pretty poorly at e3. The final game, however, was locked 60fps. The e3 test gives us an interesting data point highlighting just how much 343 optimized the final game.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Really hoping this NX does not disappoint.

Side note, are people expecting the NX to run WiiU/Wii games natively?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
In terms of render costs, there is literally zero difference between:

and

So why do the ground textures in Wind Waker seem fine, but the ground textures (grass) in Twilight Princess seem incredibly stretched out and blurry?

Why? Nobody is passing judgement on the game yet. It's just a look at the performance in its current state. I find it's interesting data to have on hand. I looked at Halo 5 last year, for instance, and it ran pretty poorly at e3. The final game, however, was locked 60fps. The e3 test gives us an interesting data point highlighting just how much 343 optimized the final game.
People get offended due to strange emotional allegiances to hardware and companies... do not think anything about it Dark. I find a game progess over time technically to be a really interesting talking point.

Yup. It's always interesting to see the technical side of games before release, especially as a comparison point with the final product. Keep up the good work!

AmyS

Things I want from the NX Version:

-1080p
-stable 30fps
-more polygons/better textures
-AA and AF
-Dolby Digital 7.1

More polygons, for more detail, would be awesome, but it's one of the things that's probably not *as* likely as some of the other upgrades.

LordRaptor

So why do the ground textures in Wind Waker seem fine, but the ground textures (grass) in Twilight Princess seem incredibly stretched out and blurry?

I don't understand the question.
2 textures of the same dimension and compression have the same render costs.
It doesn't matter what's on them. Presumably the source material was low resolution and upscaled.

dark10x

Fun note - I edited this video on a MacBook Air since I'm on the road. I've never appreciated my 5820k more.

Also, I'm thinking they may be using some mild edge smoothing but I couldn't tell on the show floor due to the rubbish TVs and bad calibration. Turning dynamic contrast and sharpness to the max was a bad idea.

The game runs at 720p30fps, with occasional dips and somewhat poor object lod. That being said, the game does feature some modern techniques that aren't particularly common for Wii U, such as Shadow Maps and Ambient Occlusion. The game also has nice specular effects.

But who cares, just look at that landscape man. It's a dream for Zelda fans.

Some people here are jumping to conclusion when the drops are minor and the game still has another year to go in development.

It's running on a 0.2 TF machine. It's bursting with dark magic.

People seems to forget that the Wii U has a second screen that it has to render with some games running at 60fps and is short of rendering at 900p.

Why wouldn't it? Wii U was shitty and expensive because it still used the PPC architecture. No one uses that so it was actually more expensive to get less power.

Nintendo will almost surely use a modern standard architecture which should result in much stronger hardware at a reasonable price.

Btw, we have a poster here who originally leaked the Wii specs saying the CPU is a little bit stronger than then the XBONE and the PS4. I forgot their username

LCGeek is that user, and yeah she was saying the CPU was more powerful than that of the XB1 by a noticeable amount. That could certainly change in the course of developing the console but I think it proves they're not afraid of going similarly powered.

orioto

Good Art™
Also i find that unfair to compare NX to Scorpio/Neo. Those consoles (i'm not sure for the Neo well..) are not replacement for the actual consoles in the way the actual console, with a price cut, could still sell more and will certainly have the bigger market share.

So the NX will have to be compared to PS4 and XBO. It's not the WIIU situation where it was the power of the old generation. NX, if XBO or PS4 capable, will be in the same category as the actual gen.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So basically what everyone had expected. Still pretty impressive for the Wii U. Likely will be more stable by release.

My realistic hope for NX is 1080p, 30fps, improved draw distance and object persistence to reduce popin with actual AA and AF solutions for improved IQ. Maybe improved lighting and shadows. But that's it. While I think this game is super important for Nintendo, the success of the NX launch and their future I for some reason don't see them really going all out. I still think they have some weird sense of loyalty to Wii U owners to not completely upstage them by going all out on the NX version visually similarly to how they handled TP on the GC and Wii.

Dream would be 1080/60fps with all the previous hopes plus more substantial improvements like improved character and object models, geometry, textures and increased objects. More grass, more trees, more wildlife, etc. Basically what the reveal trailer looked like everywhere.

Also i find that unfair to compare NX to Scorpio/Neo. Those consoles (i'm not sure for the Neo well..) are not replacement for the actual consoles in the way the actual console, with a price cut, could still sell more and will certainly have the bigger market share.

So the NX will have to be compared to PS4 and XBO. It's not the WIIU situation where it was the power of the old generation. NX, if XBO or PS4 capable, will be in the same category as the actual gen.
With the current "ban" on Neo/Scorpio exclusive games, that's a perfectly fine power-level for NX, imo.

Of course, let's see how long that no exclusives-statement holds up, but i guess Sony/MS won't bury the vanilla consoles until maybe 2 years in the update-systems lifetime.

MacTag

Banned
With the current "ban" on Neo/Scorpio exclusive games, that's a perfectly fine power-level for NX, imo.

Of course, let's see how long that no exclusives-statement holds up, but i guess Sony/MS won't bury the vanilla consoles until maybe 2 years in the update-systems lifetime.
2 years in we'll probably be getting word on the next cycle of Neo/Scorpio replacements. And maybe the next NX too.

Formless

If they're basically done with the game I'd expect the NX version to have a lot of improvements, but I think they're also still adding content. I suppose that's a different job than optimization though.

dark10x

Not to pick on your post, but I find it slightly humorous that low-resolution versions of 2007 technology are considered modern on Wii U. Gosh is that hardware just :(
Oh but it's true - at least, it's uncommon to see in Nintendo developed games. How else do you explain the number of 60fps Wii U titles? Something had to give!

geordiemp

Dat 60fps Nintendo goodness.

Its pretty easy to do 60 FPS on 2D platform games, hell even last gen 360/ps3 could super sample from 1440 at 60 FPS.

Open world 3D games or taxing 3D games...LOL

Lets face it WiiU tech for game performance is 2005 levels and needs to go real soon.

Its pretty easy to do 60 FPS on 2D platform games, hell even last gen 360/ps3 could super sample from 1440 at 60 FPS.

Open world 3D games or taxing 3D games...LOL

Lets face it WiiU tech for game performance is 2005 levels and needs to go real soon.

I wonder if I'll find your presence in the little big planet 3 ps4 digital foundry thread

dark10x

I just want better textures and maybe more light effects just like in the first trailer we saw.
Textures aren't bad (considering the style). I think decent texture filtering is all we really need here as the trilinear filtering used in the Wii U version is pretty nasty.

Expected, to be honest, and I noticed the frame dips during fights too. Hoping the NX improves upon these results, especially with frame rate and AA. Oh, and fix the pop-in!

Top Bottom