• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is HDR a thing now?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What I dont understand why MS is so proud that X1-S has HRD, it brings nothing to the table (for games)

I think for this generation HDR is here for early adaptors, mainstream will start to use it in a couple of year.
...but it DOES bring a lot to the table for games. There are games just about to ship on Xbox One which support HDR out of the box (on the One S). Forza Horizon 3 and Gears of War 4, to name two. I've seen them both in HDR. It is glorious.

The XO version of Gears 4 running in HDR on an OLED TV looked better in person than the PC version running on a large 4K LCD without HDR.

The standard "what is HDR" image:

hdr1-100656714-large.jpg

Of course, this is displayed on your non HDR monitor, so they have to play down the "non HDR" photo to show the comparison. But given the content I've seen in HDR, this is a fair comparison.

Holy fucking shitballs! That looks incredible!

Guess I need to start saving for a new TV then.....

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
You think it would be capable. But I don't know because supposedly the signal, the way it's encoded, only passes through hdmi 2.0 connections.

I think my receiver supports so called "deep color". My TV I am not totally sure. I think it's just 8-bit per channel.
Outside some camcorders I don't know too many things that supported deep color.

HDMI 2.0a actually.

It's why I don't own an Xbox One S. My 1400 dollar Marantz reciever is HDMI 2.0.

I can see 4k HDR content over Netflix without sound because my TV (LG OLED) has a native Netflix app (though I get no sound).

I bought my receiver 3 months too early or I would have the Marantz HDMI 2.0a connection and UHD already :/

Muzicfreq

Banned
The standard "what is HDR" image:

hdr1-100656714-large.jpg

Of course, this is displayed on your non HDR monitor, so they have to play down the "non HDR" photo to show the comparison. But given the content I've seen in HDR, this is a fair comparison.

-_- these comparisons sell me on nothing honestly since it it can be "simulated" then obviously whoever edited the non hdr intentionally fucked the picture up or used a shit camera

theWB27

What I dont understand why MS is so proud that X1-S has HRD, it brings nothing to the table (for games)

I think for this generation HDR is here for early adaptors, mainstream will start to use it in a couple of year.

Because the system does more than games. Why wouldn't they be? These machines don't exist in a game bubble. They're entertainment machines also.

Holy fucking shitballs! That looks incredible!

Guess I need to start saving for a new TV then.....

I recommend you check out an electronics store to see if they have any HDR demos going on. It does look incredible but don't let any of these comparisons sell you on it, remember your current display is showing you these images.

jmdajr

Basically we are going from millions of colors, to billions.

That's the jump. Up till now we've haven't been seeing tru full color range.

LQX

What is perplexing me is that I still don't understand why it needs a TV capable of 4K with HDR. Is this not the same HDR Valve showed in Half Life 2 years ago which any monitor was capable of showing?

grizzelye

HDMI 2.0a actually.

It's why I don't own an Xbox One S. My 1400 dollar Marantz reciever is HDMI 2.0.

I can see 4k HDR content over Netflix without sound because my TV (LG OLED) has a native Netflix app (though I get no sound).

I bought my receiver 3 months too early or I would have the Marantz HDMI 2.0a connection and UHD already :/

That sucks.. :I

I'm thinking maybe I should have waited on purchasing the LG OLED , and held out for the HFR tv variant instead.

Ok....so I have a couple of questions.

Right now we have:
HDR 10 (10bit Color) and Dolby Vision(12bit Color)

HDR10 is probably gonna end up being the standard right? I mean since there are licensing fees for Dolby Vision.

Also, how long before there is a HDR12 ?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Yes but as the first commenter pointed out it didn't spark like 20 topics on enthusiast sites like NeoGAF, Microsoft have a HDR machine out right now with games that take advantage of the feature coming shortly but it hasn't had the same impact on us. Most of us just didn't know what HDR really was until the PlayStation Meeting and it's a very hard thing to sell in the digital space.

Don't know how if you follow this industry you didn't know what HDR was until Sony said something about it. At/Post E3 just about every gaming outlet out there was talking about it.

I'd think its more popular post Sony event because more people are likely to Up grade to the Pro then a slim console that getting upgraded again next year.

Paz

What is perplexing me is that I still don't understand why it needs a TV capable of 4K with HDR. Is this not the same HDR Valve showed in Half Life 2 years ago which any monitor was capable of showing?

no.

JordanN

Banned

As others said, HDR in games is faking it. Real HDR is what your eyes can see (and that the TV matches that).

jmdajr

Ok....so I have a couple of questions.

Right now we have:
HDR 10 (10bit Color) and Dolby Vision(12bit Color)

HDR10 is probably gonna end up being the standard right? I mean since there are licensing fees for Dolby Vision.

Also, how long before there is a HDR12 ?

My question is how long before Broadcast goes 4k. You think by 2025? Hopefully will be a smoother transition than analog.

pastrami

No. There are a lot of different uses of the term HDR, from the graphical technique (attempt to mimic human eyesight), photography technique (compositing different exposure levels), or new TV technology (expanded color and contrast range). It can be easy to confuse them, but they are very different things.

...but it DOES bring a lot to the table for games. There are games just about to ship on Xbox One which support HDR out of the box (on the One S). Forza Horizon 3 and Gears of War 4, to name two. I've seen them both in HDR. It is glorious.

The XO version of Gears 4 running in HDR on an OLED TV looked better in person than the PC version running on a large 4K LCD without HDR.

I can't wait!!!!

jmdajr

HDMI 2.0a actually.

that sucks.

I should stop by a best buy and see something in HDR. I remember going to the Sony store when they dropped their first 4K tvs and was like hot damn. One at the clarity and two at the price.

Bsigg12

So if my plasma tv supports 10 or 12 bits of color it is somewhat hdr capable? It supports deep color and has a 30 bit mode if that helps.

Edit: It also has a 24,576 color gradation system

I believe if you turn on deep color it would be recognized by the system, at least that's what I've seen with TVs on the Xbox One S.

Dude again it's been discussed and talked about several times in this thread and all the other hdr threads. Its not the same thing.

NewDust

No. Valve hdr simulates the adjustment of the eyes to various lighting environments, but would still display in sdr.

HDR is better at showing what our own eyes see in a same scene (frame if you want) it has better color reproduction and better contrast and more importantly is capable of local zoning contrast.

Carlius

Banned
does hdr really make things look bettter? from my experience its shit...dont see how it makes things better, it makes everything looked burned.

Are those new HDR tvs different on a technical level from my EIZO 12-bit (internally16 bit LUT) monitor (CG222W) I used for 5+ years at work?

Something that makes stuff look better on them?

does hdr really make things look bettter? from my experience its shit...dont see how it makes things better, it makes everything looked burned.

That sounds more like a adobeRGB to sRGB problem when color management is not working, at least then it looks "burned" to me.

jmdajr

I believe if you turn on deep color it would be recognized by the system, at least that's what I've seen with TVs on the Xbox One S.

Hmmm. Can a 1.4 device support a signal from an HDMI 2.0 device?

I mean I know it can, but can it transfer HDR info?

Bsigg12

A properly calibrated TV with HDR showing HDR enabled content looks incredible.

Hmmm. Can a 1.4 device support a signal from an HDMI 2.0 device?

I mean I know it can, but can it transfer HDR info?

I don't think it can support the HDR content. Someone will probably correct me though.

BumRush

The fake examples of HDR running on a standard monitor / TV do make things burned. But the tech in person is the real deal...if that makes sense.

Ran rp

Now, that's how i explain HDR
You need two separate pictures to understand the difference, because, heh, you're seeing things through a SDR screen.

There you go.

hdrlio6j.jpg

On the left, the picture as shot. To be able to show some detail in the dark, everything outside the window is blown out, almost solid white.

That's not overexposed though: the camera still captured details and colors correctly for that area, as would your eyes.
Those details are there, but your monitor cannot display them.

That's why cranking down exposure in post processing using lightroom or camera raw, I am able to recover the blue sky and the foliage outside. (Pic on the right.)
Of course, now i lost details in the shadows and everything turned black.

HDR screens, if we're not being lied to, should be able to show you the entire range captured by the camera at the same time.
So you'd see what's inside and what's outside of the window.

No, merging the two pics and tone mapping is not the same, you'd just compress brightness values of the scene within the 0-255 range your tv can display.

jmdajr

Are those new HDR tvs different on a technical level from my EIZO 12-bit (internally16 bit LUT) monitor (CG222W) I used for 5+ years at work?

Something that makes stuff look better on them?

I'm thinking it's just the same tech going mainstream with higher resolution and contrast.

Now they are actually pushing content though.

Lady Gaia

High Dynamic Range is a descriptive term that can be applied in many contexts. In photography it describes capturing detail in both dark and brightly lit areas of a scene, which are then typically compressed back into a normal dynamic range for display. In a game engine for a title like Half Life 2 or Ico it describes processing information describing areas that are both darker and brighter than can normally be displayed, allowing an adjustable subset to be displayed with everything else clipped to simulate how our eyes adjust to light and dark scenes.

The more recent development are displays that can output a wide range of brightnesses. This requires 10-bit or better source material, equal or better processing, and also a much higher peak brightness than displays of the past. It's the perfect way to show HDR content instead of merely compressing or clipping it into the normal range.

Wide color gamut is a different thing entirely. It involves moving the pure red, green, and blue hues used by a display closer to the hues the cones in our eyes respond to uniquely, allowing a wider range of fully saturated colors to be displayed.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I have to echo the HDR love. I have a regular 4k TV in my living room (old one broke during a storm, 4k was same price as 1080p). I can't tell a difference sitting on my couch. Shit looks the same as 1080p, even played a 4k bluray vs 1080 stream form my apple tv and I could barely see any difference unless I was right on top of it.

After the Sony Pro conference I upgraded my gaming TVs and dam! Put on the only 4k HDR Bluray I have and its like a night and day difference. I bought Forza Horizons 3 just to try out the HDR and I hate racing games.

You think it would be capable. But I don't know because supposedly the signal, the way it's encoded, only passes through hdmi 2.0 connections.

I think my receiver supports so called "deep color". My TV I am not totally sure. I think it's just 8-bit per channel.
Outside some camcorders I don't know too many things that supported deep color.
Thanks.

People really should see what The Revenant UHD looks like on a HDR set. It is amazing.

Forza Horizon 3 demo (no HDR) looks great, excited to see what difference the HDR in the full game will make.

Z3M0G

Really? I could have sworn every xbox s add online harps on hdr and 4k playback.

Oh I'm sure they did... what I mean is that it was exciting then for those who knew what it meant but everyone else likely didn't think much of it... but after Sony made a bigger deal about it, now everyone else is now asking about it, trying to understand it, chatting about it, etc.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Heres what im confused about....my LG set is a 4K HDR 10 set, and after the 4.0 update yesterday the PS4 setting for HDR defaulted at "automatic" which is what it needs to be for HDR sets. But now do i need to go into my tv settings someplace and enable HDR or is it just set to automatically recognize a HDR device and display accordingly?

Top Bottom