• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 PC Performance Thread

jorimt

Do the new nvidia drivers improve the performance?

Not that I know of. The latest driver was just to hotfix the issue where Windows 10 Start tiles can't be dragged and dropped. Nothing else changed over the original Battlefield 1 game-ready driver.

Shawsie64

Banned
I've just went out and bought 16gb Corsair Vengeance RAM, might not be the issue but it’s the cheapest upgrade route for me ATM.

shanafan

Debating on upgrading from a 960 to 1060/1070 for this game.

Got my performance in the middle of GeForce Experience, pushing 50-60 FPS.

atpbx

Just the usual battlefield thing where it causes device not found errors on an Nvidia card for me.

You'd think considering this has been happening since BF3 they would of fixed this by now.

Finished install and played for about 15mins this morning.

i5 2500k 4.1ghz
16g 2133mhz DDR3
GTX 1070
SSD

60fps locked on Ultra, 1080p

One odd thing, I got a notification from my display that I had my HDMI cable plugged into the UHD port. TV recommended plugging it into a different HDMI port. Anyone know what that's about? Never got that message before.

Jack John

I have capped my fps to 59 so it doesn't go over my monitors refresh rate and have disabled Vsync, but I'm getting bad screen tearing even though my monitor is Gsync.

Anyone know what is happening here?

I was able to fix this by making sure vsync is set to ON in the NVCP.

Have you tried running it in Fullscreen and is V-sync forced off ingame and from drivers ? Thats about the only things I can think of.

I tried turning off vsync ingame and turning it on through the control panel yesterday and I got an awful stutter that happened every other second but what seemed like a more stable framerate overall. I turned on vsyc ingame on top of the control panel settings and it seems okayish now. Need more testing.

I tried this on another game (vsync through control panel and off ingame) and also got the same horrible stuttering.

mintyice

This game runs weirds.

i5 4670k @ 4.2ghz
Strix 970 OC +175/425
8gb DDR3 1600
Installed on SSD
1440p/Gsync 165hz

Sometimes I can run with all Ultra settings and get 50-80fps. Other times I can barely maintain 60fps with all low settings. It seems totally map dependent. There's random stuttering that I can't tell is server lag or me dropping frames. I seem to always have the low FPS warning on the side even if I'm getting 90-100fps.

I'll try changing settings mid match and the ground texture will fail to load all the way so it looks like I'm playing a flight sim from 1995 while all the models are ultra.

Moldiver

So I'm having some major framerate issues, sometimes I launch the game and I'm lucky to get over 20 fps in the menus.....restart game and fps seems to fix itself but even on low setting I can't get my fps over 70.

i7 4790 @ 4.0GHZ
16Gb ram
SLI 980's
1440p 144hz

Low settings @ 1440p DX12 ON

pT6OcUi.jpg

Moldiver

So I'm having some major framerate issues, sometimes I launch the game and I'm lucky to get over 20 fps in the menus.....restart game and fps seems to fix itself but even on low setting I can't get my fps over 70.

i7 4790 @ 4.0GHZ
16Gb ram
SLI 980's
1440p 144hz

Low settings @ 1440p DX12 ON

Looking like my issue is probably SLI related as the last game I tried my second card didn't go over 4% with my first card maxed out...any ideas?

EDIT
DX12 seems to be the issue. Off and framrafe and sli all
Good.

jorimt

Wouldn't that still introduce input lag the same way vsync in-game would, defeating one of the purposes of Gsync?

To my knowledge, V-Sync only activates with G-Sync when the fps exceeds your refresh rate. I think it also acts as a transitional buffer when the frametime spikes/fps goes below G-Sync range. As long as you have an fps cap in place for your games (mine is at 135 for my 144Hz refresh) V-Sync behavior will never engage, thus no additional input lag.

For reference, here's an article where Blur Busters tested G-Sync for input lag:
http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/preview2/

Another comment from the author in the same article with further findings on fps limiting and its effects on input lag w/G-Sync:
http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/preview2/#comment-2762

Finally, a description from Nvidia on what V-Sync on/off does with G-Sync:
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/g-sync-gets-even-better

Repo Man

I tried turning off vsync ingame and turning it on through the control panel yesterday and I got an awful stutter that happened every other second but what seemed like a more stable framerate overall. I turned on vsyc ingame on top of the control panel settings and it seems okayish now. Need more testing.

I tried this on another game (vsync through control panel and off ingame) and also got the same horrible stuttering.

Ideally you would run without V-sync and have it forced off ingame and drivers but I know some people get tearing and don't like it which is fair enough.

I only got the game last night and loving it but whats weird is that I was fully expecting to have the issues people are having in this thread yet my game runs silky smooth almost all the time ( not gloating or anything, just adding my experience to the pool ) and I play Conquest 64 exclusively. Haven't tried Ops yet though. I've had some dips to what felt like the low 40's in a few games but it was only brief and I barely noticed it.

Game is set to Ultra in DX11 at 1080p and my rig is:

i5 4690k @ Stock
GTX 970 @ Stock
16gb of DDR3 @ Stock
Win 10

Haven't been keeping and eye on my CPU useage but the fans aint't going mental or anything so shouldn't be too bad.

PaNaMa

Banned
MSI X99S Mobo (Gaming 7)
Intel i7 5930K @4.4Ghz
Nvidia 980Ti @~1379-1400Mhz
16MB DDR4 @2801Mhz
2560x1440p, Ultra all settings +Txaa

60 fps locked all the time.

75-90fps and beyond If I disable vsync and see where she goes.
This is on DX11. The game really looks and runs beautifully.
DX12 is weird, tho. Framerate still over 60 but it feels heavier, somehow. Hitches on weird things like respawning (zooming back to the map) and just doesn't feel as good/smooth over all.

Having some issues, the Battlefield 1 trial, worked perfectly, but since the release and the latest patch, PC keeps restarting automatically after about 10 mins of playtime. Any solutions out there for this?

AMD fx 8350 (4.0Ghz)
GTX 970 (3.5 GB)
RAM HyperX 8GB
Ultra Preset, 1080p, 60FPS

Having some issues, the Battlefield 1 trial, worked perfectly, but since the release and the latest patch, PC keeps restarting automatically after about 10 mins of playtime. Any solutions out there for this?

AMD fx 8350 (4.0Ghz)
GTX 970 (3.5 GB)
RAM HyperX 8GB

Using the most recent drivers? They were updated like a day or two after the game ready ones, which reportedly have many issues.

6600k @ 4.5ghz
16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Amd Fury @1100
Ssd

Game runs great @1080p with resolution scale at 135%, everything ultra + vsync. Frame limited to 59 via RTSS and everything is gravy. I did have trouble with some input lag with dx12 at first but it's gone now so that's good.

It would seem that most people with issues are running 8gb of ram. Looks like 8gb is the new minimum!

FX-GMC

AMD fx 8350 (4.0Ghz)
GTX 970 (3.5 GB)
RAM HyperX 8GB

Does this mean shutting down completely? If so I'd lean towards PSU. My 8320 @ 1.404v and Overclocked 780 Ti killed my Seasonic 650w PSU last year. To be fair I was asking a lot of it.

Does this mean shutting down completely? If so I'd lean towards PSU. My 8320 @ 1.404v and Overclocked 780 Ti killed my Seasonic 650w PSU last year. To be fair I was asking a lot of it.

I have a Corsair CX750W PSU, Its not that old, 2-3 Years old. Not had this issue with any other recent games.

Firebrand

Going to give up on this game soon I think, can't figure out why the GPU driver crashes in BF1 and BF4, and only those two games. Underclocked card by 100 core 250 mem, clean reinstall of drivers with DDU, increased TdrDelay, switched to borderless window, disabled / uninstalled Shadowplay... nothing seems to help. Temperature is fine, hovering at 83°C which is the target temperature for boosting. Probably not the PSU as I'm on my second one for this machine and I had the same crashes in BF4 before that.

There's no performance degradation or artefacts before the crash.

jorimt

As a continuation to my original post about TAA sharpening (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=221004601&postcount=507), I found the parameters that control the TAA setting in the "initfs_Win32" file (install/Patch folder):

Code:
#WorldRender.TemporalAAEnable 1
ShaderSystem.MipmapBias -0.5
WorldRender.PostProcessAntialiasingMode PostProcessAAMode_TemporalAA
WorldRender.TemporalAAJitterUseCmj True
WorldRender.TemporalAADisocclusionRejectionFactor 0
// TUNGUSKA - iwainwright - [DIVERGENCE] - TUN-29679 - Setting TemporalAAHistorySharpeningEnable to false and TemporalAAQuality to 0 to increase performance
WorldRender.TemporalAAHistorySharpeningEnable False 
WorldRender.TemporalAAQuality 0 
// TUNGUSKA
[U][B]WorldRender.TemporalAAMotionSharpeningFactor 4[/B][/U]
WorldRender.TemporalAAResponsiveness 1
WorldRender.TemporalAAAntiflickerStrength 1

I believe the underlined code is responsible for the sharpening (I think Mirror's Edge Catalyst, which uses the same TAA, is set to a much lower "1" value).

Unfortunately, the in-game command console and user.cfg file do not recognize these lines as valid parameters, and my attempts to change the file directly results in detection, which prevents me from launching the game.

EDIT: I found Star Wars Battlefront's settings for comparison...

Code:
#TAA
PostProcess.TemporalAAUseImprovedVersion True
WorldRender.TemporalAAHistorySharpeningEnable True
[B][U]WorldRender.TemporalAAMotionSharpeningFactor 0.1[/U][/B]
WorldRender.TemporalAAJitterCount 26

Almost non-existent sharpening level.

Tovarisc

As a continuation to my original post about TAA sharpening (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=221004601&postcount=507), I found the parameters that control the TAA setting in the "initfs_Win32" file (install/Patch folder):

Code:
#WorldRender.TemporalAAEnable 1
ShaderSystem.MipmapBias -0.5
WorldRender.PostProcessAntialiasingMode PostProcessAAMode_TemporalAA
WorldRender.TemporalAAJitterUseCmj True
WorldRender.TemporalAADisocclusionRejectionFactor 0
// TUNGUSKA - iwainwright - [DIVERGENCE] - TUN-29679 - Setting TemporalAAHistorySharpeningEnable to false and TemporalAAQuality to 0 to increase performance
WorldRender.TemporalAAHistorySharpeningEnable False 
// TUNGUSKA
[U][B]WorldRender.TemporalAAMotionSharpeningFactor 4[/B][/U]
WorldRender.TemporalAAResponsiveness 1
WorldRender.TemporalAAAntiflickerStrength 1

I believe the underlined code is responsible for the sharpening (I think Mirror's Edge Catalyst, which uses the same TAA, is set to a much lower "1" value).

Unfortunately, the in-game command console and user.cfg file do not recognize these lines as valid parameters, and my attempts to change the file directly results in detection, which prevents me from launching the game.

EDIT: I found Star Wars Battlefront's settings for comparison...

Code:
#TAA
PostProcess.TemporalAAUseImprovedVersion True
WorldRender.TemporalAAHistorySharpeningEnable True
[B][U]WorldRender.TemporalAAMotionSharpeningFactor 0.1[/U][/B]
WorldRender.TemporalAAJitterCount 26

Almost non-existent sharpening level.

I guess dev(s) tweaking those values have different visual vision for BF1 than dev(s) who tweaked for BFront had for that game.

jorimt

I guess dev(s) tweaking those values have different visual vision for BF1 than dev(s) who tweaked for BFront had for that game.

Apparently the BF1 beta devs had a different vision than their near-future selves for the final retail release then, since the beta TAA looked near identical to Battlefront's, which I find far superior; sharpening should not add those kind of artifacts, and if it does, then disable it and let us use our preferred amount of SweetFx lumasharpen (or none at all) instead.

I really hope they revert it, or at least add an additional preset or two.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Apparently the BF1 beta devs had a different vision than their near-future selves for the final retail release, since the beta TAA looked near identical to Battlefront's, which I find far superior; sharpening should not add those kind of artifacts, and if it does, then disable it and let us use our preferred amounts SweetFx lumasharpen (or none at all) instead.

I really hope they revert it, or at least add an additional preset or two.
They need a clamp to prevent over sharpening. But I consider TAA to be unusable without the sharpening. Same goes for FXAA.

I'd rather use Reshape for custom sharpening than their solution.

jorimt

They need a clamp to prevent over sharpening. But I consider TAA to be unusable without the sharpening. Same goes for FXAA.

I'd rather use Reshape for custom sharpening than their solution.

Again, preference. Unlike yourself, I prefer TAA sans sharpening. We're both right, but it's sad that they chose to force the "sharpening" on everyone.

Before this, I thought pre-sharpening would be far superior to the post-sharpening Reshade affords, but apparently it's not in this case. As it is now, the pre-sharpening being used is effectively bad edge-enhancement, usually reserved for poor DVD remasters of older movies.

A lazy fix would be to offer the ability to use those parameters I exposed in the user.cfg file and command console, and let advanced users decide for themselves.

FrsDvl

I'm running between 50-60 fps on ultra 1080p

i5 6500 stock
8gb DDR4
GTX 1060 6gb

Had a strange "fps bug" happen earlier though, where I went prone and my fps sunk to 19fps till I stood up again.

Mechazawa

It's weird to be actually saying this about these specific franchises, but Battlefield and Deus Ex could stand to take some tips from Gears of War.

That game straight up had a sharpening scale and you could choose how intense you want the sharpening.

DTKT

670 and an i5-750 at 1080p. I can only maintain some kind of playable framerate at low. Probably fluctuate between 50-70.

Should I expect anything more out of the system? Time for an upgrade?

Xyber

So my friend with a 2500K@4,2GHz who had constant 2-8 second freezes during online and singleplayer sessions found a way to completely get rid of them. I asked him to disable 1 core for the process and while he did get lower framerate, the freezes were completely gone. Not a single freeze in 2½ hours when it used to happen 1-2 times per minute before.

I have seen that others have experienced this as well, so this might help someone out.

670 and an i5-750 at 1080p. I can only maintain some kind of playable framerate at low. Probably fluctuate between 50-70.

You really need to upgrade that CPU and it's probably time to get a new GPU as well, there's plenty of cheap ones out now that will run the game great.

jorimt

It's weird to be actually saying this about these specific franchises, but Battlefield and Deus Ex could stand to take some tips from Gears of War.

That game straight up had a sharpening scale and you could choose how intense you want the sharpening.

Even Crysis 3 allowed for sharpening adjustments through the command console and cfg files.

With more and more games using some form of TAA, it just plain stupid (and lazy) not to offer a sharpening slider, and even stupider to force a predetermined amount of sharpening without the option to disable it.

Tovarisc

imo good numbers for that HW, but I think it's safe to say that upgrade starts to be in order. I retired my i5 750 year ago.

b0bbyJ03

Has DICE said anything about any performance updates? not that im really complaining. Im enjoying the hell out of this game but its weird, sometimes im running at 100 fps and then all of a sudden im down to the 50s (GTX 1080 & a 3770k@4.3). Is this related to my CPU or is this just the way the engine runs? I've ran MSI Afterburner and while the CPU spikes every now and then its nothing crazy so im wondering why it gets so stuttery all of a sudden.

Xyber

Has DICE said anything about any performance updates? not that im really complaining. Im enjoying the hell out of this game but its weird, sometimes im running at 100 fps and then all of a sudden im down to the 50s (GTX 1080 & a 3770k@4.3). Is this related to my CPU or is this just the way the engine runs? I've ran MSI Afterburner and while the CPU spikes every now and then its nothing crazy so im wondering why it gets so stuttery all of a sudden.

You will definitely be CPU limited on some maps if you play at 1080p with unlocked fps. But 50 seems very low, do you have 8GB RAM?

I have a 4770K@4.4 and on Empire's Edge which seems to be the one map where I'm most CPU-limited, I still only go down to about 80fps at worst with my GTX1080 at 1080p with max settings.

They've mentioned something about a patch addressing some common performance issues, but I'm not sure if they've talked about any specifics.

dawid

Anyone else having problem with the game running fine but then freezing for 3-4 seconds(sound keeps playing) every minute? 1070 GTX. Reinstalled with newest drivers.

Spook_485

Neo Member

If you have minimum of 50FPs with that HW you can consider yourself damn lucky. I am 35-70 (average around 45) on Ultra or Low (no difference) with i5 2500k 4.5ghz and 1070.

b0bbyJ03

You will definitely be CPU limited on some maps if you play at 1080p with unlocked fps. But 50 seems very low, do you have 8GB RAM?

I have a 4770K@4.4 and on Empire's Edge which seems to be the one map where I'm most CPU-limited, I still only go down to about 80fps at worst with my GTX1080 at 1080p with max settings.

Yes, I'm running a GTX 1080 as well but I'm at 1440p on a gsync monitor. I should mention that the drops into the 50s are very rare but they do happen.

daxy

If you have minimum of 50FPs with that HW you can consider yourself damn lucky. I am 35-70 (average around 45) on Ultra or Low (no difference) with i5 2500k 4.5ghz and 1070.

I feel like there's something wrong then.

Last edited:

robotrock

Banned
Updated to the latest drivers, I jumped from 35fps to 60fps.

Thanks for your expertise though.

At the time, I was asking about the hotfix drivers (375.63), which didn't increase performance, just sorted out some Windows bugs that the last set of drivers (375.57) introduced. 375.57 and above definitely increase your performance if you're coming from something older than those.

Top Bottom