• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 PC Performance Thread

The1Ski

i5 2500k at 4.0, 970, 8GB Ram. Running great at 1080p on ultra. Played MP for 8 hours and only had 2-3 dips when the screen was getting lit up with mortars and grenades. Dont know the exact frames but I can't feel any change except for those few moments above.

Seriously?!

I have:

i5 2500k 3.3, 960, 8gb RAM and I'm struggling on medium settings. I'm getting regular swings from 60 to 20 fps. Absolutely killing the experience. Y'all think a RAM upgrade would help? Obviously cheaper than a CPU upgrade.

Timu

Seriously?!

I have:

i5 2500k 3.3, 960, 8gb RAM and I'm struggling on medium settings. I'm getting regular swings from 60 to 20 fps. Absolutely killing the experience. Y'all think a RAM upgrade would help? Obviously cheaper than a CPU upgrade.
16 GB RAM if possible and maybe overclocking the cpu.

Vipu

Banned
Have they fixed stuff so you can finally hide medals and all that "+50xp FOR HEADSHOT" crap messing the screen?

Xyber

Seriously?!

I have:

Overclock that CPU, you really need it for this game. My friend had constant drops and freezes with standard clock, he went and bought another 8GB of RAM and overclocked the CPU to 4,2 and now only has some very occasional freezes. FPS still drops at times, but it is quite an old CPU at this point and this game is really CPU hungry.

daxy

Seriously?!

I have:

See if it helps if you set the BF1 profile in the Nvidia CP to prefer maximum performance (under power management). It'll clock your memory, power, and core clock to their maximum non-OC capacities. Core clock in particular is a parameter that swings wildly under regular settings with this game (for me anyway).

UnrealEck

Poor utilization, poor scaling, negative scaling, microstutter? I haven't launched the game yet but I'm curious. BF4 had great SLI support.

I'm getting good SLI performance now. Not sure what was changed. I did uninstall GeForce Experience so maybe that was causing a problem.
I now get 99% on GPU1 and about 85%+ on GPU2 (usually around 88%).

The graphics driver crashes a lot though if I overclock my graphics cards. It might be my power supply as I have a 780W PSU that's trying to supply a 6700K at 4.5GHz, two 980Tis and 3200MHz main memory.

Setting maximum pre-rendered frames to 1 in the nvidia control panel seems to have made quite a difference on the load placed on my 2500K. Playing 4-5 games after setting it to that I am yet to run into a CPU bottleneck, seems to hover around 70-90% usage now with a much more stable 60 fps.

There are still moments when it peaks up to 100% randomly and causes stutter, but they seem infrequent rather than constant now.

I also combined this with the in-game command to limit framerate, which is set to 61, but not sure if that is also helping or not.

Apparently setting it to 2 pre-rendered frames instead of 1 may eliminate frame drops completely, but the higher you go the more input lag you experience so I'm quite happy with setting it to 1 for now.

shanafan

I turned on maximum power management in the Nvidia CP, and my FPS dropped to 45-50. With it back at optimal, I had 55-60 FPS with my GTX 960.

UnrealEck

About 80+ FPS at 4K (ultra) now with proper SLI performance. It goes up into the hundreds in scenes with less explosions but to estimate an average it's probably in the mid 80s.

6700K at 4.2GHz
16GB at 3.2GHz
2x 980 Ti at 1.366GHz

There is some weird pre-sharpening or edge-enhancement being applied in the final build with TAA enabled. It definitely wasn't present in the beta. It's creating a crusty halo artifact around edges.

Nkqa.png

I don't mind pre-sharpening, if that's what they're going for, but I'd like it to be an option at least.

Yeah the image looks weird compared to the beta. Especially when you combine it with resoluton scaling, it becomes too sharp. Hope they patch in an option.

Firebrand

Seriously?!

I have:

It runs mostly 60 for me on i4770 stock, 8GB, 770 2GB, but I'm really feeling the need for more RAM, there's some occasional freezes and loading takes a long time.

So what are people using to see FPS in DX12 mode? I have an AMD card so no shadowplay. FRAPS doesn't work.

I tried the perfoverlay.fps 1 config but that randomly goes away after a while.

Xyber

So what are people using to see FPS in DX12 mode? I have an AMD card so no shadowplay. FRAPS doesn't work.

I tried the perfoverlay.fps 1 config but that randomly goes away after a while.

Afterburner has DX12 support I think, haven't tried it though.

So what would be better DX11 and ultra settings or DX12 on high? What are the different pros and cons of DX11/12? Using a GTX1070 on a 1080p TV. I don't really get PC stuff any more.
Playing with a controller too.

Spook_485

Neo Member
So what would be better DX11 and ultra settings or DX12 on high? What are the different pros and cons of DX11/12? Using a GTX1070 on a 1080p TV. I don't really get PC stuff any more.
Playing with a controller too.

If you have a weak CPU you should try DX12, otherwise DX11.

Firebrand

Does your screen go a sort of brown colour and you hear that Windows 'bong' sound and the PC just locks up?

It just freezes with the Windows error sound, i hit ctrl+alt+delete for task manager and then I can see the DirectX-related app crash error. Opening up Event Viewer -> System logs confirms it's the display driver crashing.

I had the same issue in BF4, but not in the BF1 beta strangely enough.

Have you tried the drivers before that? Not one crash here.

I had to upgrade to the latest one to launch the game. Might roll back and go with the minimum ones it says though.

Firebrand

Oh by the way, if anyone's having this issue I'll post the solution just in case:

If you find you can't aim mortars, mounted MGs etc properly, like it it's jittery, try setting gamepad controls for vehicle aiming to "custom", then go into key bindings and delete all the axis bindings for vehicles.

aka_bueno

I'm late to the party, did the new Nvidia drivers improve performance or do anything?

I already had great performance but just curious is all. Dx12 improvements or anything at all?

dr_rus

Is there any particular reason for this? I have a 2500k for example (OCd to 4.2GHz) and I am running DX11 (780ti). Would DX12 give better performance due to my older CPU?

No. Your older CPU with its overclock is up there with modern Skylakes. When people are saying "slow CPU" they mostly mean AMD CPU as anything from Intel back to Nehalem probably would be enough for NV's DX11 driver.

I experience moments where the framerate suddenly tanks, and continues to do so when playing Conquest or Operations in Multiplayer. All other game modes with lower player counts run fine, and with V-Sync, never dip below 60fps. However, with 64 player servers, overtime the game will degrade in performance, and certain portions of the map will cause the framerate to drop anywhere between 55 - 45 fps. I have a Gigabyte GTX 1070, and an i5 6600k.

What makes this problem more frustrating, is that my brother has a computer with a GTX 980 and i5 4670k cpu, and doesn't experience any of the above when playing at Ultra settings. We both have the latest Nvdia drivers (375.57). I have tried switching between DX 11 and 12 with minimal differences, and no matter what graphics quality I set (low, med, high, ultra) the game to, framerate drops still occur.

I'm not sure if this makes any difference, but my brother also uses a G-Sync monitor at 144hz, while I use a standard 1080p 60hz monitor. One last thing to note is that I recently re-installed Windows 10 again on a brand new SSD, and this problem persisted before AND after this process. Any help or insight on this issue is greatly appreciated.

Rizific

I experience moments where the framerate suddenly tanks, and continues to do so when playing Conquest or Operations in Multiplayer. All other game modes with lower player counts run fine, and with V-Sync, never dip below 60fps. However, with 64 player servers, overtime the game will degrade in performance, and certain portions of the map will cause the framerate to drop anywhere between 55 - 45 fps. I have a Gigabyte GTX 1070, and an i5 6600k.

What makes this problem more frustrating, is that my brother has a computer with a GTX 980 and i5 4670k cpu, and doesn't experience any of the above when playing at Ultra settings. We both have the latest Nvdia drivers (375.57). I have tried switching between DX 11 and 12 with minimal differences, and no matter what graphics quality I set (low, med, high, ultra) the game to, framerate drops still occur.

I'm not sure if this makes any difference, but my brother also uses a G-Sync monitor at 144hz, while I use a standard 1080p 60hz monitor. One last thing to note is that I recently re-installed Windows 10 again on a brand new SSD, and this problem persisted before AND after this process. Any help or insight on this issue is greatly appreciated.
I have the same cpu and gpu, and have experienced this only once. I'm only lv14 and have spent 100% of that time in 64p conquest. The drop seemed to be much lower than 40 however it only lasted a few secs. After that all went back to normal 90-100 fps.

riflen

The monitor difference is a red herring. I play this game in G-Sync mode at 144 Hz and there is a significant bug affecting performance.
For me it manifests as GPU usage dipping down ~20 percent in an instant, every couple of seconds. Settings don't seem to matter and usually the first round played is OK.

All temperatures are below 60 degrees (custom water loop), GPU is configured to prefer max performance in NVCP. Performance is as I would expect on all other games. If there's a CPU bottleneck, it's caused by a bug or bugs. CPU is i7-6900K @ 4.4 Ghz.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously?!

I have:

Also maybe worth mentioning, I rolled back from the Windows 10 Anniversary Update a month ago or so because it was giving me troubles.

I don't know what setting it was, but there's something that makes the leaves on Argonne look like CRAP when turned down. Probably undergrowth quality or something, but man. Turning your character makes the leaves almost disappear and the sky gets all washed out. Turned what I had down back up and it was then fine.

Shawsie64

Banned
Man this game is kicking my PC ass.. 2500k, GTX 1070, 8GB Ram & 144hz monitor (No Gsync). Single player is OK on ultra, but MP I was getting drops to sub 30 in intense areas with GPU usage around 30-50%.

I overclocked my CPU to 4.2ghz and it helped a lot with performance.. Thinking the old 2500k is holding me back, anyone else have similar experiences?

leng jai

Man this game is kicking my PC ass.. 2500k, GTX 1070, 8GB Ram & 144hz monitor (No Gsync). Single player is OK on ultra, but MP I was getting drops to sub 30 in intense areas with GPU usage around 30-50%.

I overclocked my CPU to 4.2ghz and it helped a lot with performance.. Thinking the old 2500k is holding me back, anyone else have similar experiences?

Read the thread, tons of people are having issues with older CPUs like the 2500k. Game is very CPU heavy right now.

Xyber

Yup, it's pretty much the same for my friend. He was having constant 2-5 second freezes while at stock on the CPU, so I got him to overclock it to 4,2. Now it only happens very rarely, but he does get a lot of fps drops when shit goes down. He has a 1060 and 16GB RAM.

Multiplayer kills my framerate with 3570k@4,4ghz on a 1070. 1440p res. 100% cpu usage. Any recommendations? Does this mean I should upgrade soon or is it just this game?

Shawsie64

Banned
Yup, it's pretty much the same for my friend. He was having constant 2-5 second freezes while at stock on the CPU, so I got him to overclock it to 4,2. Now it only happens very rarely, but he does get a lot of fps drops when shit goes down. He has a 1060 and 16GB RAM.

Thanks.. Might be upgrade time for me I think. I'll try OC a little more for time being.

This game must make use of HT. 3770k stock and its running like a dream. No pause or stutters, paired with 980ti and 16GB ram ddr3.1080p ultra. I'm pinching myself.

Tovarisc

I think some maps like Ballroom Blitz stuttering is caused by the server and not so much by your PC. Earlier today played several Blitz's without any stuttering. Just now played round on Blitz and it was stutter town. At my end nothing was different from HW usage perspective and even game was restarted because different playing sessions.

Lead me to think that for reason or another at times server lags out causing stutters.

tuna_love

Banned
im not getting big drops or freezes but with a mouse it doesnt look all that smooth. controller is smooth as bro tho.
6700k 980ti 32gb ram, around 75 to 100 at 1440 with gsync. when cpu goes to 100% i can swap between full screen and borderless to fix it

Top Bottom