• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach's Forge Mode Revealed

Popeck

Dude... The first hours of my work day have been very fruitful.

les papillons sexuels said:
will overlook also be a MM level or is it FF only?

According to the list, it's just Firefight.

FourDoor

Very late to the party but OMG! Forge 2.0 looks amazing. There's so much to comprehend here!

I just hope that we get some kind of pre-release list of forge objects and/or overhead map of forgeworld so that we can start planning ahead as to what can be made in ForgeWorld!

Customs will be back with a vengeance!!!

EazyB

Banned
Sill4 said:
I just don't think a map creator was Bungie's aim. They have always called Forge a map editor.

Like you said, putting a full fledged map maker in would likely affect the overall package. I'm certain if Bungie wanted to bring us a full map maker and it was high on their priority list, then they would have.
Well at least 5 of their 13 maps are forge variants so it's obviously playing a large role and an exponentially greater priority than with Halo 3.

I think the main reason we don't see those things I've mentioned on my list is because it would take too much work. But not because Bungie couldn't deliver a game with that much content, but because their engine wasn't set up for these tools to be integrated. Pre-baked lighting is the most simple example of a limiting factor in their engine. If they were to create an actually new engine with editing tools in mind, it'd make their implementation much easier.

GavinGT

Banned
Forge looks fucking amazing. I'm curious, however, as to why there's so much water in Forge World. It looks like there's little land on which to build, but maybe that's just me lacking a sense of scale.

Sill4

EazyB said:
Well at least 5 of their 13 maps are forge variants so it's obviously playing a large role and an exponentially greater priority than with Halo 3.

I think the main reason we don't see those things I've mentioned on my list is because it would take too much work. But not because Bungie couldn't deliver a game with that much content, but because their engine wasn't set up for these tools to be integrated. Pre-baked lighting is the most simple example of a limiting factor in their engine. If they were to create an actually new engine with editing tools in mind, it'd make their implementation much easier.
The day that Bungie does give a full map maker, will be a spectacular one.

I can't even imagine all of the amazing shit people will make with terrain editing and textures.

I must admit I'm pretty bummed about no Forge in Firefight, though. That would have likely ended my fps purchases on 360.

NOKYARD

Sill4 said:
I must admit I'm pretty bummed about no Forge in Firefight, though.
It would be nearly impossible for AI to 'learn' the layout of a custom map.

Plus, the term 'fish in a barrel' comes to mind when i think of Forge Firefight.

Sill4

NOKYARD said:
It would be nearly impossible for AI to 'learn' the layout of a custom map.

Plus, the term 'fish in a barrel' comes to mind when i think of Forge Firefight.
This may sound boring, but I would love to just recreate stuff like the bridges in AoTCR, or just random shooting galleries with grunts :lol

Would be the ultimate time waster, especially with friends and meta scoring.

EazyB

Banned
GavinGT said:
Forge looks fucking amazing. I'm curious, however, as to why there's so much water in Forge World. It looks like there's little land on which to build, but maybe that's just me lacking a sense of scale.
It's hard to get a real sense of scale but you'll definitely run out of item budget before running out of space. The ground above the forerunner box is completely flat and big enough to fit Halo 2's Sanctuary in. You can even create your own floor using larger pieces of geometry. In the video it shows them building right above the water, you can even make the floor slightly submerged to create huge pools to fight in.

Sill4 said:
This may sound boring, but I would love to just recreate stuff like the bridges in AoTCR, or just random shooting galleries with grunts :lol

Would be the ultimate time waster, especially with friends and meta scoring.
It wouldn't be impossible to give users tools to set something like this up. This is exactly the kind of stuff you can do in Crysis's editor (put AI in, set triggers, tell them where they can and can't go, etc.) It's really impressive, but somewhat complicated. You can give AI flowsheets so they follow a type of if-then and boolean logic to set up really intricate behavior. I'm really hoping the PC version of New IP is full-fledged PC game and not a console-to-PC hack-job.

Popeck

Nice to see the Covenant turrent variation (whatever it's called) in the Forge World object collection (right next to the Falcon).

Popeck

Letters said:
Fuck jaded journalists taking notes in total silence, this is the kind of crowd I like to see in presentations like these. :lol

That reminds me of Joe Staten at E3 last year. His comment about the ODST pistol being a lot like the CE pistol didn't really set the crowd on fire. =P

NOKYARD

Just noticed the giant dice. Wraith Backgammon anyone?

Forge World is going to be a fantastic 1v1 Sniper map. :lol Epic week long games up to 25 points!

I didn't know in what thread should it be this info, so I'll just put it here. Also i'm going to translate some of it.

Spanish site Levelup wrote a summary about Firefight VS, and these 3 maps:D :

Spire: "Seems to focus on Aerial Combat. Has Man-Cannons around the building, and elevators that take you to the top." They played Invasion on it.
14nfgp3.jpg

f421hu.jpg

ornryt.jpg

Reflection: IVORY TOWER!! my favorite map. "Exactly like you remember", they said. Although it looks so different. sogood.gif
2hhhqtc.jpg

8zisy9.jpg

4pz3bq.jpg

Zealot "A very modified version of the Map Midship with more space in the center, with a bottom floor, and the possibility of getting out of the ship, in the space, which has different gravity." Looks like Midship, but its a completely new map, Awesome :)
suxezl.jpg

qxt24x.jpg

dxy2qt.jpg

They have more images of the maps, here, here and here

Only 7 more weeks guys, CAN'T WAIT.

feel

mmm WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF HOLY SHIT :O :O :O

IVORY TOWER! woooooooooo!

all 3 maps look incredible

Kuroyume

Banned
Have they discussed if there will be some kind of matchmaking for this thing?

Also, I really like the look of the Ivory Tower remake.

WJD

Jesus, this all looks fucking awesome.

My only complaint would be that with all Forge 2.0 taking place exclusively in the same area/landscape, everything is going to start looking a little samey after a while and I can only assume that eventually there will be a hell of a lot more Forge maps in matchmaking than original ones.

Nonetheless, it all looks gorgeous.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Unfuckingbelievable.

Multiplayer getting a graphical boost (unless the Theater mode is at work here) is the last thing I expected for the retail release and Ivory Tower's new design is straight up Mirror's Edge. I fucking LOVE IT.

EazyB

Banned
MendicantBS said:
I'm sorry that it took so long. I was waiting for one of you guys to post it.
Yeah, was that article really posted at 8 PST? Seems to me like the site must've broken an embargo but dios mio I'm glad they did. I'm not even a big fan of Ivory Tower but that map looks gorgeous.

Ramirez

EazyB said:
Yeah, was that article really posted at 8 PST? Seems to me like the site must've broken an embargo but dios mio I'm glad they did. I'm not even a big fan of Ivory Tower but that map looks gorgeous.

That's what I'm thinking, I bet this stuff wasn't meant to be seen til August. :lol

Makes the wait that much harder. :(

Kibbles

Ramirez said:
That's what I'm thinking, I bet this stuff wasn't meant to be seen til August. :lol

SP stuff was August. This is probably sometime for Friday. Ferrex did say he'd have more to say tomorrow, yesterday. Although that was during the Q&A for forge so I don't know.

Fuuuuucckkkkk looks so good. Give me Reach now! =p

EazyB

Banned
Ramirez said:

It's pretty crazy that we've seen all but two MP maps (countdown and boardwalk) already.

EazyB said:
Was thinking the same thing, but looks like they have it planned, even they have a schedule (from the last page of the article):
Monday: Forge
Wednesday: Chris Carney Interview
August 4: Reach Campaign.

feel

In the Invasion game of Spire, the objective is to steal the core at the top of the building. The attacking team starts in a beach and needs to control 3 points spread around on it to gain access to the main area. These battles on the beach were intense but separated from one another, so teams had to spread out. Once in the perimeter of the building, to get to the top they had the option of using air vehicles, the elevators inside, or getting shot up by the mancannons around it! They say it was incredible and very intense.

How's this gonna work? unless I am wrong ain't Reach a matchmaking game? are the core maps gonna be the only maps in matchmaking, or will you be able to upload a map, wait for Xbox live approval, and then switch from core matchmaking, to user created matchmaking.

Top Bottom