• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Impressions: Mark All Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alej

Banned
Why people talks about the story? FF never has been about the story.

FFX and XIII IMO are the weak links in the serie. Too much story, too much linearity for me.

I just prefer the geopolitic intrigue of XII which ressemble the most to what came before X.

The PSX trilogy for example have complex stories, and engaged ones, but you experience them as you progress in the game, as you go to new locations and not as the "path<>cutscene<>path<>cutscene" cancer.

It was even more prevalent before that, in fact it was more of a treasure hunt where the treasure is the story progression. And this is what should be stories in videogame to me.

pLow7

Found the Story in FFXII pretty boring and messy towards the end. Still is one of ma favourite FFs and i put about 200 hours into it. For me it's Not about the Story at all.

azizhud

Sounds good to me.

- Quick Travel only works at certain stations or towns. So the occasional 5 minute car ride are not avoidable.
- None of the controller typs fixes this.
- I know how stamina depletion works lol. Its still a very annoying way to play since again, the default speed after running is waaaaaay too slow.

Hope that clears some stuff &#128077;&#127997;

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Story details and proper plot formulation has never been FF's strong suit. If it did, Watanabe and Nojima would be working out of Hollywood while battling serious cocaine addictions.

7, 8, and 10 are great. 10-2, and 13-2 servicable given their fragmentary structure, but the rest are severely compromised in one way or another.

Can't speak to the quality of 14, but 11 is pretty terrific too although the quality (understandably) fluctuates a lot over the years.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
People have to stop with this FF never been about the story bs. That is just not true at all.
It only makes sense through the revisionist lens looking through the entire media landscape(books, movies + games of the current day).

When most of the beloved FF games came out they absolutely had engaging stories that were definitely also hailed as one of their strengths compared to what else was out there at the time.

We just had that FFXV legacies video with Ken Levine speaking about what VII meant to games and stories at the time.
So dunno.

q3iCWqE.gif

What a silly thing to say.....

FF6
FF9
FFX

They all had fantastic stories.... Infact it's the storyline that keeps me going back to replay it (along with incredible soundtrack)

Squire

Banned
Basically how I feel and why XIII and its sequels were such a let down for me.

I'm really hoping this turns out to be an RE6 moment for them in the good ways as well as the bad. Seems like they tried to bring people in here at the cost of the actual main draw of the franchise: a grand, generally well-told narrative.

Neff

Seriously would not recommend simply at all now, theyve gone from super early to late delivery.

They're still one of the best around for value in the UK, and their service is reliable enough. I've only had one issue with them over the last few years when they forgot about one of my orders, but otherwise they've been pretty good.

But yeah, I think the last early game I got was MGSV.

I'm really hoping this turns out to be an RE6 moment for them in the good ways as well as the bad. Seems like they tried to bring people in here at the cost of the actual main draw of the franchise: a grand, generally well-told narrative.

More like the extended development problems prevented any consistently well-told story from being told in the final product. It's not like people would have been happy with another FF XIII.

nOoblet16

Erm..it's the story and production values that puts FF aside from other JRPGs. Gameplay wise there are other JRPGs which do the same if not better than FF. I mean aside from Lightning Returns you won't find a single FF that you can actually call hard for instance. Yea they have hard bits but none of them are particularly games made to focus on that way and instead focus on the experience provided by world building, story and production values.

Lol people saying ff has never been about story. Smh. Play ffxiv. Fantastic story and fantastic music.

Ffxv I'm 8 hours in. Music is the biggest disappointment so far. Sounds pretty genetic. I'm actually using the
portable mp3 player often

Nya

Actually, the only thing going for FF is the story and the world setting. Other than at the gameplay is not that interesting, imo.

Except for XV's gameplay, its fun and creative as hell.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
FF has always been about world, characters and stories. It's the most set-pieces narrative driven jRPG out there how can someone even deny it lol.

(Modern) FF has always been about the story, or better yet, the narrative and the way the scenario is delivered. Maybe the plots themselves are not the most complex or original, but the characters, their interactions, the small scenes and the overall pacing have been super important to make FF what it is (or was).

Hell, I recently replayed FFX for the first time since its release, I get easily bored with games nowadays if they are not great, and I couldn't. Stop. Playing.

The pacing during most of the game is just great. There's a perfect balance of cutscene, dialogue, free-ish micro-exploration and battles that just keeps you entertained and makes you want to keep going. You never get bored or tired because you do those for maybe 15 minutes max, and then you do something else, and it doesn't feel forced or useless. Most of the characters' interactions have a meaning and help you get to know them and form a bond with them. They're not (usually) cringy, they're not generic, and they're little details that make the game what it is.

It's the same for VI, VII, VIII and IX. XIV has a pretty good pacing as well for an MMO. Haven't played enough XII to talk about that one.

Now, a lot of people say "but the gameplay sucked!! XV's gameplay is a lot better". And I disagree. Just because they were turn-based it doesn't mean it wasn't fun. And for me, XV's "DMC-wannabe" combat is not very fun. It's trying to be an action game and failing. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of progression, either, at least not the way the materia/junction/sphere grid/etc did. You can argue they were "broken" because you could exploit the system when you got to know it, but at least they required creativity from the player.

sappyday

DAY 2 OF IMPRESSIONS

Chapters 1, 2, 3, 4 completed

Total Playtime: 20:01

Played a lot more today but oh how I wish I can play more. Tomorrow/today I have to go back to work and prepare for thanksgiving so I won't be playing much until nighttime. I'm having tons of fun. Already up there with Uncharted 4 and Overwatch with my GOTY. The only thing that can change if it just gets really bad at the end but even then just the world and exploration make up for it.

The Bad
  • The controls are still tough to get used to especially during combat. Whoever thought jump and interacting should be the same button should get demoted. Or letting you open the map during combat cause you think you're locking on.
  • The volume for music in the car is way too low.
  • There needs to be a way to skip to nighttime.
  • Side quests are still boring. They're ok but catching frogs and collecting tags aren't fun. What makes it fun is going and explore more of the world.
  • The framerate in Lestallum is bad at times. Can get annoying.
  • Had a glitch where the Regalia would move like a turtle.
  • There shouldn't be multiple choice for story moments.
  • Water barriers are terrible. Hate it.

The Good
  • The world is way too beautiful imo. It's HUGE. People worried about that area being just it need to know that it's more than you expect. The map looks small but you're like a ant when in real time. While there isn't much scenic diversity, everything looks nice and calm. It's a nice mix of fantasy and realism that it makes the fantasy parts more apparent.
  • Chocobos are fun to use. Glad you can name them and customize them as well.
  • Combat is fun for me now. Got used it despite some control issues.
  • The team deserves credit for making the game run pretty smoothly and bug free most of the time. While there are areas that suffer, in general everything is good. Also it's visually amazing and it's crazy to think how much better they made it look in 2 months.
  • The banter is hilarious and cute. While a lot of it repeated, there is some that make me laugh.
  • Love the small moments with the characters such as with Prompto and Noct on the Motel sign.
  • Fishing is fun even though it's quite easy.
  • Dungeons are great. The only thing is the camera but the designs themselves are fantastic so far.
  • The MP3 adds a lot more to the game. The overworld music rarely plays so using songs from older games makes exploring better.
  • The trial of Titan is a lot better than how it was showcased in E3. Pretty amazing that it ran a smooth 30fps the whole time.

The So-So
  • The story moves along with no proper push. It's "oh guess we got to go do this now." I understand it cause I've been following everything about the game since its inception but I wonder how a newcomer will react. Cause so far it doesn't feel organic, unlike with the characters (the bros mainly) and world. But it still isn't stupid or overly complicated.
  • Lestallum, while beautiful, is pretty darn small.

JBwB

I also tend to place story over gameplay when it comes to RPG's.

Personally though, if a game isn't up to par story wise it can still be redeemed through it's gameplay and content. FFXII excels in both those aspects tremendously well, to the point where I place it as the best FF I've played so far (sorry IV, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X & XIII!).

FFXV, at least from what I've played in the Judgment demo, really evokes the same level enjoyment I got from playing FFXII. So if the optional hunts & dungeons are really good then XV may very well rise up above all the others for me.

I can't wait to play it on release. Who knows, I may even enjoy the story despite all the negative impressions haha.

bigol

On Chapter 7, and the narrative is getting worse. It's as fragmented as I've ever seen a finished narrative. Justification for certain missions is nonexistent, key plot points that the game expect you to understand are never communicated to the player. I'm supposed to care about a character who died for some weird reason, when the game never even told me his name until AFTER his death. The beginning of a Chapter told me what Noctis was currently doing, and it came as an utter shock to me. Why are we going to this place? What the hell is the point? What's Luna doing during all of this?

Ugh.

Some things will be explained later, but the game really needed more infos explained through cutscenes, maybe showing what's happening elsewhere, just like happened in old FF.

It's a pity there is just a brief glimpse of this during the custscene with Iedolas, Ravus, Aranea. Beside that we don't know what happens elsewhere in the Empire if not by hearing radio announcements.

Squire

Banned
More like the extended development problems prevented any consistently well-told story from being told in the final product. It's not like people would have been happy with another FF XIII.

People would've loved a game structured very similarly to FFXIII if it had a developed, compelling story and cast pushing them forward. Evidence: FFVII-X

The dev time can't be discounted, but XV needs to be the game that puts the franchise back in the spotlight. I don't think Tabata's ideas are cutting it. FFXV didn't need to be semi-open world, it needed to be a re-examination and distillation of what it is that really endears people to these games to start with. The core of that is going to be the story, regardless of whatever drive-by revisionist history is being posted in this thread.

DAY 2 OF IMPRESSIONS

Chapters 1, 2, 3, 4 completed

Total Playtime: 20:01

Played a lot more today but oh how I wish I can play more. Tomorrow/today I have to go back to work and prepare for thanksgiving so I won't be playing much until nighttime. I'm having tons of fun. Already up there with Uncharted 4 and Overwatch with my GOTY. The only thing that can change if it just gets really bad at the end but even then just the world and exploration make up for it.

The Bad
  • The controls are still tough to get used to especially during combat. Whoever thought jump and interacting should be the same button should get demoted. Or letting you open the map during combat cause you think you're locking on.
  • The volume for music in the car is way too low.
  • There needs to be a way to skip to nighttime.
  • Side quests are still boring. They're ok but catching frogs and collecting tags aren't fun. What makes it fun is going and explore more of the world.
  • The framerate in Lestallum is bad at times. Can get annoying.
  • Had a glitch where the Regalia would move like a turtle.
  • There shouldn't be multiple choice for story moments.
  • Water barriers are terrible. Hate it.

The Good
  • The world is way too beautiful imo. It's HUGE. People worried about that area being just it need to know that it's more than you expect. The map looks small but you're like a ant when in real time. While there isn't much scenic diversity, everything looks nice and calm. It's a nice mix of fantasy and realism that it makes the fantasy parts more apparent.
  • Chocobos are fun to use. Glad you can name them and customize them as well.
  • Combat is fun for me now. Got used it despite some control issues.
  • The team deserves credit for making the game run pretty smoothly and bug free most of the time. While there are areas that suffer, in general everything is good. Also it's visually amazing and it's crazy to think how much better they made it look in 2 months.
  • The banter is hilarious and cute. While a lot of it repeated, there is some that make me laugh.
  • Love the small moments with the characters such as with Prompto and Noct on the Motel sign.
  • Fishing is fun even though it's quite easy.
  • Dungeons are great. The only thing is the camera but the designs themselves are fantastic so far.
  • The MP3 adds a lot more to the game. The overworld music rarely plays so using songs from older games makes exploring better.
  • The trial of Titan is a lot better than how it was showcased in E3. Pretty amazing that it ran a smooth 30fps the whole time.

The So-So
  • The story moves along with no proper push. It's "oh guess we got to go do this now." I understand it cause I've been following everything about the game since its inception but I wonder how a newcomer will react. Cause so far it doesn't feel organic, unlike with the characters (the bros mainly) and world. But it still isn't stupid or overly complicated.
  • Lestallum, while beautiful, is pretty darn small.

nyep.gif

Thank you for this. The best review I've read in a while.
I was beginning to worry that investing in the ps4 pro and a new 4k HDR TV just for this game was a bad idea.

After reading your views I am sooo hyped again.

AzureFlame

Found the Story in FFXII pretty boring and messy towards the end. Still is one of ma favourite FFs and i put about 200 hours into it. For me it's Not about the Story at all.

I loved XII as well, i don't think XV is as nearly as good, in almost everything else i mean, not only the story, but that's my opinion of course, i hope everyone who bought it enjoys.

valkyre

People really need to stop with this.

Just because you may want to somehow justify to yourself any shortcomings that FFXV has in the story department, that doesnt mean FF games in general have bad storylines or presentation...

FF6-7-8-9-10 became popular mostly because of their story and characters, not their gameplay.

Hell a lot of "gaming greatest moments" lists are filled with story moments from these games.

I loved XII as well, i don't think XV is as nearly as good, in almost everything else i mean, not only the story, but that's my opinion of course, i hope everyone who bought it enjoys.

Hopefully I disagree with you because I thought XII had the worst story in years and years. So generic. Plus it was so easy! Quickest I'd ever completed a FF game first try was 12.

artsi

I guess that every Final Fantasy has it's haters and lovers and XV won't be any different.

VIII is the best FF made :p

People would've loved a game structured very similarly to FFXIII if it had a developed, compelling story and cast pushing them forward. Evidence: FFVII-X

The dev time can't be discounted, but XV needs to be the game that puts the franchise back in the spotlight. I don't think Tabata's ideas are cutting it. FFXV didn't need to be semi-open world, it needed to be a re-examination and distillation of what it is that really endears people to these games to start with. The core of that is going to be the story, regardless of whatever drive-by revisionist history is being posted in this thread.

XIII had more problems than just the writing of cutscenes not being up to par. Its whole game design was restrictive, even compared to X, the most similar game to it. I don't think people would be happy with other game designed exactly the same but with a better story. Also, I think expecting XV to be a reexamination of the basic principles of the Final Fantasy series when it's an attempt to salvage a messy ten-year long development process is unrealistic.

I think what people who want a strong cinematic story centric game from Final Fantasy are looking for is best handled by the Uncharted series these days, and I don't think Square-Enix Japan is capable of meeting the same standards.

It sounds like it might be the opposite of FFXII in which the story started great and remained strong until the quest to Archades, after which it just sort of made a number of perfunctory developments before ending. I'm hoping the last 20-30% of this game can at least leave a good impression.

Not that it's not a fair comparison.

XIII had more problems than just the writing of cutscenes not being up to par. Its whole game design was restrictive, even compared to X, the most similar game to it. I don't think people would be happy with other game designed exactly the same but with a better story. Also, I think expecting XV to be a reexamination of the basic principles of the Final Fantasy series when it's an attempt to salvage a messy ten-year long development process is unrealistic.

I think what people who want a strong cinematic story centric game from Final Fantasy are looking for is best handled by the Uncharted series these days, and I don't think Square-Enix Japan is capable of meeting the same standards.

I feel like Xenoblade, on the Wii, was a very open JRPG that at the same time managed to be compelling, provide frequent plot developments, and had plenty of dramatic and cinematic flair to go with it. The question is - what will Monolith's next game look like? Chronicles or Cross?
Yes, I understand neither is a possibility.

People have to stop with this FF never been about the story bs. That is just not true at all.
It only makes sense through the revisionist lens looking through the entire media landscape(books, movies + games of the current day).

When most of the beloved FF games came out they absolutely had engaging stories that were definitely also hailed as one of their strengths compared to what else was out there at the time.

We just had that FFXV legacies video with Ken Levine speaking about what VII meant to games and stories at the time.
So dunno.

Yeah, exactly. I'm having a bit of a head scratch with the 'FF isn't about story' rhetoric that seems to have popped up in the last month or two. If the franchise's legacy was reliant on the gameplay, I can't imagine it would be remotely as well known. It's not like entries in the FF franchise are like games from Platinum, where you're there for the gameplay, and if you get a fun story it's a nice bonus. I'd known about FF as a franchise a few years before I played my first FF game, and it was the praise of the story, characters, and soundtracks that got me on board. The gameplay was a pleasant accompaniment, but not an advertising point. At times, I think the gameplay has been actively detrimental, especially in the aging process. For me personally, VIII and IX in particular had gameplay elements that didn't really gel for me, but I pushed through it because I was intrigued to know what would happen next in the story.

Everyone has games or playable casts they may prefer, but I feel like IV-X have really solid stories that hold up quite well considering how long ago some of them came out. (FFII is a great example of solid story, but gameplay actively getting in the way of that experience for a lot of players.) VI-X are filled with lots of dense story content and interactions, whilst still managing to mostly have great pacing. I love XII - it's easily one of my favorites, including the story and characters - but the development issues the game went through are very apparent whilst playing the game, especially the back half. When I think fondly of my time with Final Fantasy over the years, I think of globe trotting adventures, with likeable characters, and surprising stories that were well paced. Xenoblade Chronicles and The Witcher 3 are two RPGs in recent years that scratched that same itch for me, and yet both of them had some bad pacing problems. Dat XC level design, though, hnnnngk.

I will say for Toriyama's games that they are very playable, for lack of a better world. I enjoyed the moment to moment gameplay of X-2 a lot more than I enjoyed X, though obviously the story, characters, and pacing aren't comparable. I found XIII extremly underbaked in terms of story (with XIII-2 and LR being silly), but all three games had a good gameplay flow, with LR being the pinnacle. Even when the quality of the story wasn't great, they were all quite solid in terms of constant drip feed of story, which both XII and seemingly XV seem to have issues with. The playability of Toriyama's games helped to pick up the slack when the narrative fell short for me, which had often been the reverse in previous FF games. From what I've seen, I think XV will mesh what I enjoyed about XII and XIII, whilst still carrying the heavy burden of the same issues that dragged both of them down.

So what I gather XV is pretty much Phantom Pain. Just with more interesting open world, better music and way worse gameplay.

Ni No Kuni continues to be the last true great FF until NNK2. Balee dat.

pLow7

Im not saying Story is not important. I love FF7 to death it's my GOAT. But FFXII shows me, that i can have tons of fun with a game while not liking the story.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
NNK is not fun.

Not every game ever has to be "fun". Not going to deny that NNK has quite the gameplay deficiencies most being related to tedium creating design decisions + lack of depth. But it's a great RPG taking you on a true journey full of childlike wonder. It carries the spirit of the journey aspect of past FFs.
Whereas the decade of XIII....

Not every game ever has to be "fun". Not going to deny that NNK has quite the gameplay deficiencies most being related to tedium creating design decisions + lack of depth. But it's a great RPG taking you on a true journey full of childlike wonder. It carries the spirit of the journey aspect of past FFs.
Whereas the decade of XIII....
I am not talking fun in a jolly sense, I have to not hate the gameplay.

Mendrox

What? Yes it has been. Except for the first 3 entries, but even 3 had a bit story it and in the remake more than other FFs. FF7-9 had very big and grand stories. Even 10 had a good story, 11 was amazing, 12 was not my thing cause the story was more in the background or way too political for me. 13 was bad.

kromeo

Hopefully I disagree with you because I thought XII had the worst story in years and years. So generic. Plus it was so easy! Quickest I'd ever completed a FF game first try was 12.

For the main story at least VI-IX are all easier, I'd actually say that's their biggest flaw for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom