• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Yes, a new Marvel vs. Capcom game is in development. (X-Men gone, MCU focus)

Which Marvel character are you most looking forward to in MvC4?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tribal24

Banned
Considering the information so far (MCU universe, 2x2) I don't think you're going to like what they will show. Those are my predictions at least:

-Capcom will use the same engine as SF V. They are familiar with it and it's good to cut costs.

- Considering it's based on MCU, the art style will be more realistic instead of cartoon or comic book based. I wouldn't be surprised if they used the same models of SF V in this game (the models are great and I really like SF V art style, though not everyone agrees).

-They will probably have something akin to fight money to buy anything that affects gameplay. I think Capcom might use the fight money system to boost SF V too (you gain FM from both games and it's put into a single account).

- Arcade mode will probably be in from the beginning. I also hope/expect they making a story mode (marvel writers that is).

- DLC characters will be planned as seasons just like SF V. Half marvel, half capcom.

-As I said before, gemaply should be more akin to TvsC. More systems, more balanced, less fun to watch.

This is what I expect from the game at least. Oh, and a good online mode. SF V is working great here at least.

yeah i can see this happening, except the realistic art style i think they should go with a look similar to the ink look in Street fighter IV costume 11 i believe. Marvel has to look eccentric thats what makes Marvel what it is.

Hunter from Monster Hunter with all the weapons represented in his various specials or BUST. Launching with a great sword up swing, dual swords air attacks, block with the sword and shield, wall bounce with a lance charge, OTG hammer golf swing etc.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I really hope they're not focusing solely on the MCU. Since the X-Men got cut we better see some stellar picks in their stead, like:
Songbird - Thunderbolts / Avengers
BslruAB.jpg

The Runaways
SXxV7Mp.jpg

Spider-Gwen

Pu0MYJU.jpg

Elsa Bloodstone - Nextwave
8hTfPZV.jpg

Josh5890

Ok question for all of you. How would you like Capcom to handle the inevitable DLC? I hope they go the SF V route with adding a new character every month and not forcing you to buy a new version of the game every year or two.

Ryce

I guess Ant-Man and Groot are playable.

Someone on Twitter, Ian Walker, asked Michael McWhertor (the Polygon writer) to clarify his roster statements, and after a lengthy back-and-forth McWhertor wrote "DM me real quick." A minute later, Walker Tweeted: "So, apparently, Polygon's sources are saying that Ant-Man and Groot are in Mvc4, but the stuff they wrote Wolvie/Magneto isn't concrete."

cordy

Banned
Fox owns the movie rights to the X-Men and has for quite some time, as they were sold back before Marvel was doing movies and selling those rights was just an extra revenue stream for their comics business.

Now that Marvel is doing movies and TV, they want those rights back. The only way they can get them is if Fox agrees to sell it back or lets the license go into disuse. At some point, Marvel started minimizing X-Men in their universe and cutting back on X-Men-related comics. The idea is that Fox already has enough stories to adapt, and Marvel isn't going to heavily feature those characters just so that Fox can pick up that story and use it for ther new X-Men movie.

So, basically, until Fox decides to give up on their X-Men franchise, Marvel is working to minimize the amount of new material they have to work with and minimize the visibility of those characters in Marvel Comics products as an attempt to force Fox into giving up their rights.

Interesting.

I can't really get mad at Marvel, I mean that's business so yeah.

tribal24

Banned
Ok question for all of you. How would you like Capcom to handle the inevitable DLC? I hope they go the SF V route with adding a new character every month and not forcing you to buy a new version of the game every year or two.

2 characters per month 1 capcom and 1 marvel

Someone on Twitter, Ian Walker, asked Michael McWhertor (the Polygon writer) to clarify his roster statements, and after a lengthy back-and-forth McWhertor wrote "DM me real quick." A minute later, Walker Tweeted: "So, apparently, Polygon's sources are saying that Ant-Man and Groot are in Mvc4, but the stuff they wrote Wolvie/Magneto isn't concrete."

which probably means that they're DLC, if they're in.

I would like them to release a pair of characters (one Marvel, one Capcom) and, if it's happening, an assist exclusive character every 2-3 months or so.

Celcius

°Temp. member
The article says that it would be coming to "consoles" next year, but it seems strange that SFV would be PS4/PC and then they would change this for MvC4. Maybe they mean PS4 + Switch with a PC version coming later?

shaowebb

Man I even bought all the shadowpacks in vanilla. I dont even care. Take my fucking money. Just make it and continue to support it. Seasons of Marvel? Oh lordy yes.

Megatron

I want Psylocke :(

You aren't getting her. :(

I think Wolverine will probably still get in. But that may be it.

The article says that it would be coming to "consoles" next year, but it seems strange that SFV would be PS4/PC and then they would change this for MvC4. Maybe they mean PS4 + Switch with a PC version coming later?

Why would Sony pay them to not put it on Xbox, but switch is ok? I highly doubt they saw street fighter V's revenue and though 'we should totally do that again!'

antibolo

Banned
Everybody's talking about the Marvel side but I'm really wondering what the Capcom side will look like.

Capcom has basically made nothing original since MvC3? I mean what new Capcom characters could they possibly add with at this point? lol

I can't believe I'm just seeing this now. Mixed emotions.

I would rather play an X-Men fighting game, than a MvC game without X-Men.

I get it, but what a shame. No Bishop. No Cable. Ugh.

I want this to be like SFV I love the service model. I don't want to be another version of the same game for $60

Sesha

It'll be a SFV-style gradual drip of DLC, since that's basically what Capcom's console business model is now. I want them to support the game long term, so I'm down with the SFV model.

Groot seems like the kind of offbeat character Capcom loves implementing in these games (Shuma, M.O.D.O.K., Rocket Raccoon, etc.). Wouldn't be surprised at all.

Mags and Wolverine being DLC would be a plausible compromise, though people would eviscerate the fuck out of Capcom for that, even if Marvel's the one to blame there.

Everybody's talking about the Marvel side but I'm really wondering what the Capcom side will look like.

Capcom has basically made nothing original since MvC3? I mean what new Capcom characters could they possibly add with at this point? lol

They could go for IP that's yet to be properly represented in the game (Dino Crisis, Breath of Fire, Monster Hunter, etc.)

And honestly, it wouldn't be the first time they've had to scrape the bottom of the barrel for Capcom newcomers. Hell, look at every Capcom newcomer aside from Jill in Marvel 2.

xaosslug

lol, the backpedaling...

Kalentan

It's TV MCU, which outside of Netflix doesn't seem to have the same company-wide importance as big screen MCU and the comics.

Well yeah, but even then I can't find any source that says it's MCU. Marvel Television is helping making Legion and that is clearly not MCU.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
it says "more likely plucked". I wouldn't say that x-men is 100% out. Would seriously be surprised with no Logan especially with the new movie out.

There is no chance this ends up on the switch.

I can see this being Xbox + Ps4 (with PS4 having a timed exclusive) because someone mentioned in another thread that Marvel wasn't happy at all about the mod situation on PC.

Korigama

Hunter from Monster Hunter with all the weapons represented in his various specials or BUST. Launching with a great sword up swing, dual swords air attacks, block with the sword and shield, wall bounce with a lance charge, OTG hammer golf swing etc.
That would require the MH team to cooperate and let their franchise be included, and they flat out said no last time. I'd love to see it represented, but I'd rather not get my hopes up.

Hm, an MvC without X-Men just feels wrong.

The God

They don't have any platform information

Some people have really unrealistic expectations.

Just because the X-Men getting axed they are not going to be replaced with Marvel characters most people say

YRZLkFC.gif

They are just getting replaced with the big Inhuman names and Marvel Movie characters.

Runaways no way in hell they gonna make it.

Xion385

Fans of the series should expect Marvel vs. Capcom 4's roster of Marvel characters to draw strongly from the cinematic universe that Marvel Studios has popularized — and has full control over — during the past decade. That means fighting game fans will more likely see characters plucked from The Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy films, and not from properties like the X-Men. Expect to see superheroes like Ant-Man and Groot make appearances, with characters of mutant origin — think Wolverine and Magneto — sitting out this entry.

Yo, Yipes might need a hug.

Drayco21

I could live without the muties, Human Rights are for Humans and all that, but losing the FF will be a tragedy; I don't want to play in a Mahvel without Footdives.

I hope that the voice cast from 3 comes back instead of being replaced by the awful Avengers Assemble era cast, and that when Star-Lord is inevitably added, he acts like Star-Lord and not like space Chris Pratt or whatever the Bendis skrull was; but I'm bracing for neither, and for the roster to look awful because of the rights thing.

Hopefully if I keep expectations low, it'll turn out fine.

Sesha

Well yeah, but even then I can't find any source that says it's MCU. Marvel Television is helping making Legion and that is clearly not MCU.

Well, Legion is X-Men, so that's Fox. Runaways will be on Hulu, which is partly owned by Disney, and we know Marvel has the rights to the Runaways since they've considered making a movie before. I think it'll like be its own little thing, still connected, but more remotely connected than the rest of the MCU, kinda like the comic series was. I'm sure we'll see references to the wider MCU, including possible appearances by Cloak and Dagger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom