• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Masamune-kun no Revenge 1-38
mlkX5.gif

what the fuck man, what a rollercoster.

Murenase! Shiiton Gakuen 18-18.5
Don't fuck with giraffes, and I mean that in every sense. Congrats to Jin for taking that rare MC step of confessing relatively early, but for the sake of the ongoing comedy I'm hoping that Hitomi's hinted crush is one of the animals. Ideally a teacher (dinosaur) for maximum hilarity.

JulianImp

MangaBark?

Yeah, you can get it on a JP AppStore account here: https://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/mangaone-mangawan-mei-ri-geng/id774618503

There's also an Android version, but I found a page detailing how to create an AppStore account first, so I ended up going with that. At first I was expecting that the four free chapters you got to read every twelve hours would expire, but so far I've slowly been adding stuff from volume 2 and everything after volume 3, and can get to read chapters I've previously unlocked with no issues.

There're in-app purchases, but once you catch up to any given series I'd say that eight free chapters per day is really high, which I appreciate as opposed to some awfully restrictive limits in order to force users to dip into IAPs if they wanted to actually read anything in there.

Yeah, color me surprised that when it started tackling heavier shit it actually handled it better than most serious series.

I'm kind of missing out on some vital plot details due to my kanji-fu not being good enough to recognize everything that's being written, but I guess I'll eventually get better at that. For example, the kanji have locked me out of actually getting the whole deal behind the two kingdoms that were wiped off the face of the planet and what the deal was with the black knight and his little sister, but I did get what was going on with the previous slavedriver arc.

Also, I've seen like 30 different ways to spell Piwi.

Damn, you're right!

To Love-ru Darkness 75

FWlsOg1.gif

It was about damn time.

Huh, that MangaWan thing sounds interesting.

Also, surprised at the Murenase confession being this early. That's...rare. It's obviously not going to go well, and I'm probably giving the mangaka more credit than he deserves but I think the point of this chapter dealing with homosexuality right before his confession to Hitomi is because Hitomi might be gay. People pointed out her hair clip which is a female symbol (which honestly doesn't mean too much as it might just be a visual indicator like "this is the girl of this species") but taken with the chapter itself it does seem kinda...odd that both occurrences would be in the same chapter.

Stinky

Akai Mi Hajiketa V1-2 END

I know many of you here have read this because YOU MOTHERFUCKERS WORKED ON IT! Was surreal to see PhilipCostigan, Dramatis, Akito and Charizard-man in the TL Credits.

For those who haven't, its a series of one-shots about first loves, falling in love, friendships etc.

Really enjoyed this, the art is very good, like a mix between Ran and the Grey World and My Sweet Alien. The stories are all cute and funny, there wasn't one I didn't like, and the epilogue with all the stories was excellent.

Highly recommended and its a short read. You'll blast through it in one sitting for sure.

a3A8Kth.jpg
3B0LM4d.png
vjtqIgL.png
ts3owdP.png

Y U G E
N I C E D I E
Fly Towards Death!

Akai Mi Hajiketa V1-2 END

Had some time at work as I was waiting for calls and entering in some data and pretty much breezed through this.

Fuck me, that was some seriously good stuff.

Edit: I will say that to this day I still don't understand why people feel like they have to hide going out?

Zweizer

Banned
Murenase! Shiiton Gakuen ch18-18.5 +Omake

I doubt it's happening so soon, but it's certainly bold.

Kawaii Joushi wo Komarasetai ch13-14

Actually, she's right in that she doesn't have to be a good cook to be a good critic.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Magi Curious how this end game is going to play out. God knows I didn't see any of the other crazy bits happening.

Helk Seriously, someone should make an anime of this, I think it would get a lot of success off the heels of stuff like One Punch Man and Mob Psycho.

Mob Psycho Sobbing right now.

JulianImp

I know that Piuy is technically incorrect but you have to get over my body to make me use something other than that.

Technically? Romanization's hell, so I'm okay with Piuy, Piwi, Pewey, whatever. It's funny how a really simple character with several very obvious gimmicks has grown on me, since I tend to favor character development over giant screaming chickens with huge eyes. The best part is that you get used to seeing it scream, so it's actually funny when the mangaka makes it talk normally using a regular speech bubble.

Stinky

Had some time at work as I was waiting for calls and entering in some data and pretty much breezed through this.

Fuck me, that was some seriously good stuff.

Edit: I will say that to this day I still don't understand why people feel like they have to hide going out?

Great glad you enjoyed it. Regards to your edit, which chapter are you referring to? I don't get it.

Apparently I Am A Hero is ending in seven chapters.

I think there's like eight or so chapters that haven't been translated yet.

Wow. I used to really love this manga. It seemed to be heading towards the end I suppose..

I was just reading Kengo Hanazawa's one-shot volume Tokkaten and the first few chapters were really good. The art is so different. Not worse but different. The chapter with the assassin "Johhny" is realllly good.

bobohoro

Tokyo Ghoul:re 107

Pinning someone to the ceiling to let him watch the torture is kinda fresh.
I'm actually kinda interested in this manga again, the Ghoul side was always way more interesting.

Also, since I'm playing Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 right now, I'm kinda amazed that the final arc of the manga is even worse than I remembered it. All those random powerups and techniques without any rhyme or reason, the dumbass dialogue and character motivations and the whole reanimation fuckery is reeeeeally weak. And I'm not even at Kaguya yet.
The gameplay is also kinda weird. Or just not for me. At least the game is pretty and fun to look at, kinda regret not trying it earlier when the good manga parts were being done.

LeleSocho

Banned
Technically? Romanization's hell, so I'm okay with Piuy, Piwi, Pewey, whatever. It's funny how a really simple character with several very obvious gimmicks has grown on me, since I tend to favor character development over giant screaming chickens with huge eyes. The best part is that you get used to seeing it scream, so it's actually funny when the mangaka makes it talk normally using a regular speech bubble.
These latest omake made it clear that his name is derived from Kiwi so Piwi is obviously the closest thing with Pewey being acceptable, Piuy instead at least how i pronounce it (Pee-oo-ee) doesn't sound at all like Kiwi but it's the bestest so i'll stick to that forever.

I'M PIUY YOU KNOW!

Tokkaten

This is the first manga I've read (technically not true, I've read time ago the first three volumes of IaH) of Kengo Hanazawa, author of works like Ressentiment​, I am a Hero or Boys on the Run. It's a compilation of short stories he has done over his career, so some are older and others are more recent.

My impressions were mixed. There are 7 stories, and I liked four of them (the first four). One of them is basically unfinished, others present an interested idea but he goes nowhere with it, so it gives the impression they scrapped a bit the bottom of the barrel to compile enough for this volume.

The style is pretty much what I had imagined, it's a trademark mix of pathetic characters, in pathetic/sad stories with sometimes an absurdist comedic tone and a slight bittersweet ending in them. Teenagers, coming of age, bullying, love and sex are common themes. In a pair of them the comedy aspect is stronger, and they aren't bad at all.
The first story is a good example, you have the bold story of 3 friends in high school, which decide to spend well their last summer of youth... by drilling a hole into a wall to the girls dressing room and peep at the girls. Funnily, they don't seem to notice two of them had opportunities with some of the girls, so they waste their last summer idiotically instead of having the 'real deal'.

In other news...
Ballroom came back! Now, we play the waiting game (aka wait until it's translated)

Stinky

I was just reading this last night! I've only read half of the stories but as I said I really enjoyed the assassin Johhny one-shot.

The first chapter (peep-hole) was really stupid but mildly entertaining, but I did really enjoy the two girls who tried to start a conversation with them and they just shut them down, completely unaware that this is a great opportunity. Sort of cringe-worthy and unfortunately relate-able in my personal experience.

I really like seeing early series from mangaka where the art is so different.

I was just reading this last night! I've only read half of the stories but as I said I really enjoyed the assassin Johhny one-shot.

The first chapter (peep-hole) was really stupid but mildly entertaining, but I did really enjoy the two girls who tried to start a conversation with them and they just shut them down, completely unaware that this is a great opportunity. Sort of cringe-worthy and unfortunately relate-able in my personal experience.

I really like seeing early series from mangaka where the art is so different.

Yep, I didn't comment that but that one was also my favorite, the assassin that inadvertently start having a normal life with a girl is very good, unexpected and have an earned emotional climax.

And yeah, lots of his stories are 'cringe-worthy'. Definitively.

Alice in the Borderland 1-13

MDf3QlG.png

Someone has been playing too much Hotline Miami

This a manga about a high-school student being transported to the 'Borderland', where people are forced to either participate in potentially deadly games or simply die.

While this setting has been ovedone to death, so far this manga has executed it very well with its brutal games and its grim atmosphere. The characters at first seem simple but they develop over time so you get invested in what happens to them.

The 'Borderland' and its games are pretty brutal, they hold no punches. For now, the game rules are pretty simple which makes it pretty easy to focus in the action instead to be bogged down by rules. The games are divided in 4 types and each type focus on a certain aspect of the participants, as the manga progresses perhaps there will be more complicated games.

Whoever is setting up all those games, especially the "Heart" types, has quite a sick twisted mind.

In short, I am really liking what I am reading.

Helck 1-9

Its alright so far? Kinda seems like One Punch Man if Saitama wasn't the protagonist and it was in Dragon Quest land. I assume there has to be some twist if it has so many chapters

Usobuko

Banned
Alice in the Borderland 24

This is just getting better and better. The Witch Hunt is quite the fucked up game thats just perfect for the Beach members.

The characterizations in this manga are unrivalled.

Like everyone of them that got a back story are so relatable and humanized at the same time they all come together and subtly influenced one another.

Don't skip the side stories, read along with the main.

The characterizations in this manga are unrivalled.

Like everyone of them that got a back story are so relatable and humanized at the same time they all come together and subtly influenced one another.

Don't skip the side stories, read along with the main.

You are damn right.

Alice in the Borderland 25-28

Wow at all those reveals and backstories that came together seamelessly and influenced each other. I feel sorry for all those guys.

The ending of the Witch Hunt arc was fucking great. Also the MC is such a badass now.

This manga is fucking great. I am impressed.

Alice in the Borderland 29

Great cooldown chapter.

Shouta

I would as well but I don't see this happening

Probably won't be happening. Based off what Watsuki's said, this might be the ending he wanted to write for Kenshin but couldn't come up with at the time of its original publication. Back then he couldn't see a way a proper way for Kenshin to end as a Shounen manga. He apparently felt that because the story was about atonement, the eventual outcome would be something like Ashita no Joe with Kenshin fighting to his last breath to protect others. That's the reason for what Kaoru says at the end of the manga.

However, due to all of the Kenshin related stuff that's been happening the last few years like the movies and the Takarazuka version, he says that he's finally found a path to an ending that surpasses the one he wrote originally, one where Kenshin is truly happy, I guess.

Whether or not this will be as good as he imagines it, I don't know but I hope so. =P

Deadly

Probably won't be happening. Based off what Watsuki's said, this might be the ending he wanted to write for Kenshin but couldn't come up with at the time of its original publication. Back then he couldn't see a way a proper way for Kenshin to end as a Shounen manga. He apparently felt that because the story was about atonement, the eventual outcome would be something like Ashita no Joe with Kenshin fighting to his last breath to protect others. That's the reason for what Kaoru says at the end of the manga.

However, due to all of the Kenshin related stuff that's been happening the last few years like the movies and the Takarazuka version, he says that he's finally found a path to an ending that surpasses the one he wrote originally, one where Kenshin is truly happy, I guess.

Whether or not this will be as good as he imagines it, I don't know but I hope so. =P
How is he not happy in the original end though? IIRC in the guidebook he mentions things about how he planned to have the Juppongatana return and hints to the Hokkaido arc but it just didn't fit because the Jinchu arc was the logical conclusion.

Meido > Commandojou > Class Prez > Tsundere
Commandojou > Meido > everyone else

JulianImp

Helck 1-9

Its alright so far? Kinda seems like One Punch Man if Saitama wasn't the protagonist and it was in Dragon Quest land. I assume there has to be some twist if it has so many chapters

Like we were discussing, Helck lets its audience know that it's not a gag manga fairly early on, which was interesting even though it seemed weird after how the early chapters made it look like your typical comedy centered around a ridiculously overpowered character.

I guess I started to watch anime again and I'm not sure why everyone is dropping their monocles about Youjo Senki? Other than some...at best "questionable" design choices for the Corporal Bug Eyes, this was fine as set-up. The Lieutenant is an asshole little girl and at this point there wasn't any fan-service or sexualization of her which is a fucking rarity for her type of character. A lot of military tactics talk, a decent fight scene, if anything it kinda dragged on with the military fetishism. The end was an obvious stinger to get you interested even if it is a bit silly for her to make that expression just randomly at Bug Eyes. If anything I'd say the start was just okay for a set up with an interesting stinger at the end.

If you want to complain about the two women's designs vs all the relatively realistic men's designs it's a fair point but is often looked past in many other shows like Shirobako and if you have a problem with the Germanic love affair then...uh, that's every anime ever. Personally neither of those bug me (Tanya's design is obviously supposed to be contrasted against her shitty nature, Bug Eyes is one character amid like 20 introduced/if you watch Anime you're already pretty used to them whacking off to Germany). Honestly, if they can make Tanya a complete piece of shit, never sexualize her and keep her from acting how a girl that age is supposed to act she may turn out to be a pretty good execution of a fairly common trope of "character that looks like a kid is actually a monster/strong/whatever" which is a trope I've always enjoyed (mostly) because I enjoy the clash of appearance vs character.

Danberu nan kiro moteru? 12

For a beach chapter this was pretty boring and tame =/

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's nazi loli witch isekai.
Her name is Tanya Degurechov and speaks with a young girl's lisp while she commands the army. Tanya used to be one of Japan's elite office workers, but because of a wrathful god was reborn as a little girl. Prioritizing optimization and career advancement above all, she will become the most dangerous entity among the Imperial Army's sorcerers.
It's sort of like if you commissioned r/The_Donald to write a light novel this is what you might get. I think it'll have some killer action sequences but the premise is really awkward given the current political landscape. Even worse, it compares poorly with Man in the High Castle, the other actually Nazi story going on right now. There's a right way to do a Nazi story and a wrong way and while Man in the High Castle isn't particularly good it had some saving graces in Smith and Tagomi. Youjo Senki is just... eyebrow raising.

Shouta

How is he not happy in the original end though? IIRC in the guidebook he mentions things about how he planned to have the Juppongatana return and hints to the Hokkaido arc but it just didn't fit because the Jinchu arc was the logical conclusion.

Commandojou > Meido > everyone else

I don't think he was unhappy with the ending. I think he just wanted to write more for Kenshin but couldn't get it to work and end within the constraints of being a shounen manga. He couldn't figure out how to continue working on the story path he wanted and still end it like all shounen-like. The Jinchu arc was the perfect time to do so for him and so he wrote an ending that worked and called it a day despite still wanting to go further. He just left a little bit of his feelings of wanting to continue in the ending with the way Kaoru speaks to Kenshin in the last panel.

More specifically, if I had to guess, I think he didn't feel like Kenshin's journey of atonement had gone far enough. Looking back, I kind of get what why he would feel that way. The Jinchu arc was a very personal arc for Kenshin. It was basically him connecting his past and present together. Yet, that's more or less it for the story. It doesn't really do much for Kenshin's original objective after the Bakumatsu, to make up for all the lives he took.

It's nazi loli witch isekai.

It's sort of like if you commissioned r/The_Donald to write a light novel this is what you might get. I think it'll have some killer action sequences but the premise is really awkward given the current political landscape. Even worse, it compares poorly with Man in the High Castle, the other actually Nazi story going on right now. There's a right way to do a Nazi story and a wrong way and while Man in the High Castle isn't particularly good it had some saving graces in Smith and Tagomi. Youjo Senki is just... eyebrow raising.

Lol wait what, that's the premise?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The anime is doing some weird, might be cool, in-media res thing which I applaud the director for but yeah, knowing what's ahead I can't really give it much leeway.

Aw that's sad cause as it was I wasn't seeing issue. I mean, if she's a piece of shit I don't see a problem with it because a Nazi piece of shit isn't offensive but if they pull that other stuff then yeah, that's some conservative ass propaganda. Maybe the anime will hold back a bit lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom