• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sket Dance is very very good. It's basically Gintama lite (which makes sense considering the dude was Gorilla-sensei's assistant for a couple years); a gag manga first and foremost that can oftentimes do drama very very well. I'd actually say that even though it's pretty hilarious, it is very successful at it's drama and it never really feels forced or unrealistic. It has one of my favorite arcs in it, the Bossun Birthday Arc (calling it something else would be huge spoilers), wherein I lost my shit. Really really clever writing and it can get downright sad sometimes with some of the character's problems or issues. But at the end of the day, it's just a very hopeful and happy manga.

Amusingly, I sometimes re-read certain chapters or arcs and they're almost always the drama ones. When the manga ended, the culmination of the Switch Arc left me legitimately bawling.

It also is surprisingly progressive; it's last "big arc" was about shit very few manga, especially shonen manga, would touch with the care and respect it does.

Shit, I'd like to go on about it all but all the best moments are huge spoilers that ruin climactic arcs

cntr

Banned
Yeah, I read Sket Dance years ago and really liked it, but the translations stopped pretty early so I stopped.

I should pick it up again, hm.

Admittedly the "ending" ending kinda blows, but everything leading up to it is fucking excellent.

I love the series, it's just that no one ever really talked about it so I never really...well...got a chance to talk about.

Yea sket Dance was pretty cool, especially when the emotional arcs popped up and while i thought the Birthday arc had a bunch of things that made it a bit too convenient, the message was still there.

For me the Switch Arc was the one.

Zweizer

Banned
Nanashi no Asterism ch17

Even Mister Perfect's patience has limits.

Nomi Joshi ch19

As tasty as the food looks, it's tough to gorge on oil (and alcohol I guess) and not feel conscious.

Nozomi x Kimio ch30

Loves (eventually) trumps big boobs.

No Guns Life: Great little manga about a hard boiled cybork with a revolver for a head. Last few chapters (12/13) have now started to drive deeper into the real plot, and at the same time have made me terrified of the 'gun slave' units.

ob_06aee8_bann-nogunslife.jpg

Ascheroth

NGL is one of the rare manga that has official releases in my language while not having official english ones (as far as I know). And it could overtake the scans at the same time. How bizarre.
Volume 3 comes out in April, looking forward to it.

Boogiepop

Any chance anyone can speak on whether the original manga of Cat's Eye properly wraps up, how closely/thoroughly the anime covers it, and/or how the remake is? Was kind of hoping the anime would completely cover the story, seeing as it's 73 episodes to cover 18 volumes and both ended in the same year, but after just finishing watching through it for the first time, it definitely has one of those non-endings with nothing resolved that often pop up in incomplete adaptations. (All that said it was a nice capstone, and admittedly the overarching plot was pretty non-important to the series throughout, but it's still kind of disappointing not to see any resolution on that stuff).

Speaking of SD, based on a quick search, has it really been 3 years since he worked on anything new?

Yeah, I read Sket Dance years ago and really liked it, but the translations stopped pretty early so I stopped.

I should pick it up again, hm.

I remember that, there was this one time when young naive me went and looked for the translator group, entered the chat and asked how I could help with SD translation since it was a while it had been translated. I remember leaving the chat with some of the members giving my regards to that group. Dont recall what group though since it was eons ago, anti-something in their title.

Also you totally should, its really great. Bossun, Onihime, Switch and a ton more secondary cast were pretty fun characters. Hopefully this isnt spoiling much but there's a lil sister character that IIRC a literal tsundere with a slightly reasonable justification to her persona, an emo rock dude that speaks in emo rock words and never sentences and an occult obsessed girl who looks like Ju-on and a bunch more that pop up as you read on.

upandaway

Sket Dance was great, not as good as Gintama but I really liked it, of course main character arcs were the best. And also similar to Gintama, Sket Dance had a really slow start and didn't really get good until some time into it.

Maou-jou de Oyasumi 22
Swallow 1 Princess (with or without water) after every large meal and remember to brush thoroughly. I figured her nightmares would be about bees, and I also figured that everyone else's nightmares would be about her.

Sket Dance was great, not as good as Gintama but I really liked it, of course main character arcs were the best. And also similar to Gintama, Sket Dance had a really slow start and didn't really get good until some time into it.

Yeah, unfortunately a lot of the early stuff was the author getting his feet underneath him and it didn't really pick up til maybe after the first big arc. Which, if it was the Onihime arc, came unfortunately too early because her arc was the weakest =/

"MY ENTIRE SHTICK IS I'M THE LEGENDARY DELINQU-OH SHIT SOMEONE TOOK MY LACROSSE STICK, I AM NOW A WEAK, PATHETIC GIRL WHO NEEDS TO BE RESCUED"

Left a really bad taste in my mouth

Maou-jou de Oyasumi 22

Jesus Christ, she doesn't even care anymore. "I casually committed genocide, whatever"

Kumo desu ga, nani ka? 14-2

Jeez, these last couple chapters have just been a monkey vs. lone spider siege. She has to evolve to escape this predicament, she's got no chance with the bigger monkeys there. I'm going to be super disappointed when she turns into a human-looking spider because her just being a kinda large spider makes this way more entertaining.

Tachibanakan to Lie Angle 4-8
Huh, somehow I missed that 1) this had started updating again and 2) it's getting an official English release. Nothing particularly positive to say about the household's new addition - hooking her up to an alcohol IV might make her more tolerable to deal with. I enjoyed seeing how the festival's events played out from two different Angles, even if one was far more developed than the other. Iori and Hanabi evidently have a mutual attraction going on, so naturally the pair will never hook up and childhood friend will end up winning. Hope that isn't the case, since I'd consider it a bad end.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I just started hysterically cackling at work when I remembered that the Fuuka anime starts airing this week.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Oh man, please tell me there's people in AnimeGAF that don't know what's coming. I need those fresh reactions.

Kiritobread already announced his intention to watch and I made sure to tell him to not spoil it on MAL or by reading comments in the streaming videos lol

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Kiritobread already announced his intention to watch and I made sure to tell him to not spoil it on MAL or by reading comments in the streaming videos lol

Oh man, thank you for doing that. This has really brightened my dour spirits. This is going to be so good. So good.

Angry Grimace

Is the Fuuka anime even going to go that far in? At what point did it happen?

There's like no chance it doesn't get to it; it was chapter 37. Based on the structure of the manga, I'm fairly certain it will ends on Aoi showing up in the last episode and revealing her name.

Zweizer

Banned
Hi Score Girl ch33.6

Never underestimate gyarus.

Maou-jou de Oyasumi ch22

There are worse dreams to have.

A Kiss and a White Lily ch28

The battle is on!

Kekkon Yubiwa Monogatari ch24

As expected Saphir joined the party, poor her.

As an aside, dwarves always seem to get the short end of the stick.

Golden Kamuy 81

Laughed out loud at the Last Supper scene. Why is Kiroranke Judas and Asirpa Jesus tho?

Foreshadowing, perhaps. I think that
Arsipa skin might be tattoed (we only saw her full clothed) and be the key to locating the gold. Kiroranke is still a mystery, so he might kill or betray Arsipa for the gold.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Helck ch. 84.1

I'm pretty happy last chapter's cliffhanger was just a fake out.

But you know this upcoming fight is going to be tragic, so uh.

I missed reading some really good manga I need to go back to some classics

there is ahold manga I use to read about a Samurai guy in the Edo period forgot the name of it :( had some interesting battles forgot if it was based on real people or not

can anyone help me remember the title for this manga?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom