• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's not smart enough to pick the ninja

Even without saying which one, you're right.

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch483
The new generation has Carol, which makes it better, but also has Jun, which makes it way worse.

Hmmm.

True. I mean Jun is pretty boring.

I do like how Tomo's dad can feel the evil presence of Misuzu though.

Mousou Telepathy 110 - 112

I think Toda is a bit obsessed with Nanako. Like seriously.

Takane no Hana nara Ochitekoi!! 7 - 8

I wonder if Shiraishi's confession will go the way he plans. Probably not.

rrvv

Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san 47

Obligatory "hottest girl in the school wants MC" harem trope in full force.

At the very least you can vaguely justify it in that Kogarashi isn't nearly as lame as Rito is since he has magic powers and is good at everything thanks to ghostly possession. Maybe he was once possessed by the spirit of a chick magnet.

so basically "hottest girl in the school wants hottest boy in the school"

I'm killing time in Animate and I've seen like 8 manga that aren't being translated that I fucking need in English

I know that feeling. Every time I've gone to Japan, I end up with a list of cool manga to check out, only to find out none of them are in english.

Last time I bought like 3 weekly manga magazines, and none of the cool looking ones were translated. Even worse is that I could spend forever translating them myself, but then I'd be missing all the chapters that came before.

Just started reading Kenshin and I'm on chapter 47. I'm really enjoying it so far, but it's mostly stuff I already seen. The Yutaro/Rajunta arc still makes sad even if the ending is kind of *happy*.

I know that feeling. Every time I've gone to Japan, I end up with a list of cool manga to check out, only to find out none of them are in english.

Last time I bought like 3 weekly manga magazines, and none of the cool looking ones were translated. Even worse is that I could spend forever translating them myself, but then I'd be missing all the chapters that came before.

It's infuriating; and what's as bad is seeing a series you like and being all "I wonder what chapter it's on?" and it's like 42 and the last chapter translated was 13 from a year ago.

Like fuck.

The Promised Neverland 1-23

Wow. How have I not heard of this series until now. LOVE IT. What other manga can you guys recommend that is similar to this?

Nordicus

Haru no Noroi 1-2

Older tomboyish sister who loved her younger sister more than she ever knew.

Younger "yamato nadeshiko" type sister who dies calling out her fiancé's name, much to the older sister's dismay.

Fiancé who always felt lukewarm about his arranged marriage, just went through the motions, and rather had his eyes on the clearly energetic older sister who acted really gloomy in his presence.
GeeS5QT.jpg
VO3qDqU.jpg
I dig this, it's a very interesting love triangle, Natsumi would absolutely loathe Tougo if she knew how he felt about the two siblings and I imagine she will find out in the future. Although even as things are, I'm surprised Natsumi's even giving Tougo a shot at dating. I'd imagine she does not give two shits about whether their parents want them to marry or not (they don't, what Tougo didn't tell her was that dating Natsumi was his idea rather than his parents')

Looking forward to future chapters (there's at least 2 more?)

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Sesiji O Pin! 70-72 Amazing. I was just thinking how long can this go on? but now I'm all Fuck! I can't wait till they're third years!

It's infuriating; and what's as bad is seeing a series you like and being all "I wonder what chapter it's on?" and it's like 42 and the last chapter translated was 13 from a year ago.

Like fuck.

I don't think I'll ever really be over the fact the last two volumes of Boys on the Run will never be translated.

Haru no Noroi 1-2

Really digging that art there. Going to get to this later.

Jintor

Someone gets to it eventually

Haru no Noroi 1-2

Older tomboyish sister who loved her younger sister more than she ever knew.

Younger "yamato nadeshiko" type sister who dies calling out her fiancé's name, much to the older sister's dismay.

Fiancé who always felt lukewarm about his arranged marriage, just went through the motions, and rather had his eyes on the clearly energetic older sister who acted really gloomy in his presence.
I dig this, it's a very interesting love triangle, Natsumi would absolutely loathe Tougo if she knew how he felt about the two siblings and I imagine she will find out in the future. Although even as things are, I'm surprised Natsumi's even giving Tougo a shot at dating. I'd imagine she does not give two shits about whether their parents want them to marry or not (they don't, what Tougo didn't tell her was that dating Natsumi was his idea rather than his parents')

Looking forward to future chapters (there's at least 2 more?)

Just finished reading the current chapters for this too, and loving it as well! (There's my simple recommendation as Nordicus said everything I had to say really.)

upandaway

Promised Neverland

I found this chapter to be really weird. The last chapter was a great setup and now this chapter took it all away. It's like a completely different direction.
It definitely felt very different from the rest of the series up to now, I can see why it will put you off. Personally I loved it but the whole chapter was like one carefully constructed climax scene from start to end, where the other chapters are the usual part of a bigger volume scenes (and they built up to this chapter in a lot of ways).

edit: whoops

Shengar

Partially rereading Spirit Circle reminds me what genius Mizukami is. While he's probably not the master of writing, he's most likely one in composition.

bobohoro

Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san 47

Blame it on the winter!
Actually kinda reasonable excuse.

Tomo-chan 484

Tomomom is draining Misuzu's energy. Kinda effective.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch483

RIP Misuzu.

Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro ch17

It bears repeating, but Chio is likely the most unassumingly badass schoolgirl out there.

Truly the greatest of pairs.

Elf-san wa Yaserarenai. ch2

Already a dark elf? Methonium doesn't mess around.

They're both fine~

Okusan ch42

Roadtrips with kids are always a mess.

Gorilla is a surprisingly level-headed guy though. I can sense a friendship blooming between him and Daa-san.

Swap ⇔ Swap ch15

Op-π! Genius.

Horimiya ch74

Hori is quite territorial.

Yuri Mekuru Oshigoto ch5

Considering these two, it went rather straightforwardly I must say.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Vinland Saga ch. 135

Mm, obviously a 'time to kidnap someone in order to force Thorfinn to fight' set up. Hopefully Garm tries that on Hild so she can kick his front teeth in.

Helck ch. 86-87

Anne's fire drake attack looked dope, and she was still holding back.

Also, hot damn, that dude got beat into the pavement.

Sket Dance 230-288/END
After taking a break with reading this for 3 years I finally finished it, really a well done manga that has good control when both dealing with the comedy and serious aspects. Guess time to start the mangaka's newest manga that's free on Viz.

Elf-san wa Yaserarenai. 2

hell yeah dark elves

real drow elves next plz

Chapters for this come out too slowly

Also new lift girls.

Also Dark Elf's fat ass is fine as is.

Dude just needs to make it one of his doujins. Like seriously, Methonium is a monster for teasing like he does.

I don't think I'll ever really be over the fact the last two volumes of Boys on the Run will never be translated.

FHSzbjP.png

I found a figure of him too but it was fucking $120 for no reason cause it was in one of those rental boxes. Love him as I do, I ain't fucking paying that much.

Sket Dance 230-288/END
After taking a break with reading this for 3 years I finally finished it, really a well done manga that has good control when both dealing with the comedy and serious aspects. Guess time to start the mangaka's newest manga that's free on Viz.

I'm still mad at all of you for not telling me about this.

Also, here's my haul from Japan. Minus the stuffed animals and non-anime shit.

I didn't grab manga as I can't read it so I'd just have it and uselessly stare at it until I cried.

As for how much I spent on animus, let's see...maybe 18000 yen all things considered? So around 160 bucks Americano.

The most expensive single item was the Shiro Nendodroid because it was impossible to find and I caught it at 4500 yen, thank you my incredible weakness for No Game No Life, and all the rest were like...Rem and Megumi were crane game prizes at around 2000 yen each and everything else was between 500-1200 yen. Throw in the little danglies for like 400-600 and there you go.

Now ask me how much I spent at the Kapibarasan store

LeleSocho

Banned
I didn't grab manga as I can't read it so I'd just have it and uselessly stare at it until I cried.

As for how much I spent on animus, let's see...maybe 18000 yen all things considered? So around 160 bucks Americano.

The most expensive single item was the Shiro Nendodroid because it was impossible to find and I caught it at 4500 yen, thank you my incredible weakness for No Game No Life, and all the rest were like...Rem and Megumi were crane game prizes at around 2000 yen each and everything else was between 500-1200 yen. Throw in the little danglies for like 400-600 and there you go.

No sweet sweet import videogames and consoles? If i ever have the precious chance to go in Japan i categorically have to bring an empty suitcase and a couple of thousand of Eurobucks just for that.

Soma

Kine-san no 1-ri de Cinema (I love cinema, I am lonely) 1-3

Single middle-aged businesswoman likes to watch movies a lot in her free-time, except she has very distinct taste in movies that she enjoys. Those are usually American action-thriller movies like Bad Boys II or Terminator III and she is pretty damn opinionated on them, especially when it seems that a lot of her friends/colleagues don't share her views:

Like damn this is some next level stuff. I dunno, you can tell the author is really passionate about these types of movies and uses this as a sort of platform to display his opinions in a fun and lighthearted way. Seems like every chapter focuses on a single film and it usually goes pretty indepth when portraying her thoughts on it.

Shengar

I have 38 volumes of Pokemon Special acting just as a collection items. But I'm fine with and honestly if the shipping cost isn't so prohibitive I would buy some manga that I really want on my shelf, just to support the author. I can read it somewhere else and as you might have know, on digital platform :p

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Looks like Jump is going to go through a cleanse.

There's new series starting every issue for the next six issues.

This likely means Amalgam of Distortion, Spring Weapon No 1, Demon's Plan, and Ole Golazo are all on the way out (Ole Golazo's first ranking is this week and it was second to last place. Ded)

This likely means Amalgam of Distortion, Spring Weapon No 1, Demon's Plan, and Ole Golazo are all on the way out (Ole Golazo's first ranking is this week and it was second to last place. Ded)

Damn, lets see whose getting new series...
Week 1: Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai (I can not study our lives, so comedy?) by Tsutsui Taishi (Did Esprit and Fukashigi Philia)
Week 2: U19 (I'm going to guess soccer or another sport) by Kimura Yuuji (Did Garden and Peach Pluck oneshots for WSJ both are eh)
Week 3: Poro no Ryuugaku-ki (Porori's Crowd, ????) by Gondaira Hitsuji (No real info)
Week 4: Harapeko no Marry (Google's translation is weird for this one) by Tamura Ryuuhei (Beelzebub's Mangaka)
Week 5: Dr. Stone (Action?) by Inagaki Riichirou and Boichi (Eyeshield 21 writer and Sun-Ken Rock's mangaka)
Week 6: Robot×Laserbeam (Action/comedy?) by Fujimaki Tadatoshi (Kuroko's Basketball's Mangka)
I guess this is what Jump has been brewing in hopes of getting something to live.

Also
Weekly Shonen Jump #9

Gintama (Cover, Lead CP)
1. One Piece
2. Kimetsu no Yaiba
3. My Hero Academia
Boruto (CP)
4. The Promised Neverland
Asagaya Geijutsu Kokou Eizou-ka e Youkoso (CP, One Shot)
5. Black Clover
Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma (CP)
6. Samon the Summoner
7. Straighten Up! Welcome to Shika High's Competitive Dance Club
8. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
9. Hinomaru Zumou
10. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
11. Spring Weapon No. 1
12. Amalgam of Distortion
13. Ole Golazo (1st Ranking)
14. Demon's Plan (2nd Ranking)
Chronicle of Isobe ~Life is Hard~

I have no clue what's going to get axed if 2-3 of those newcomers are able to stay in the middle or upper half, though I'm extremely doubtful its going to Yuuna since its Volumes are selling strong already.

Verelios

Hmm? It's drawn by the author plus some extra stuff by other people.
Knew I wasn't crazy. I do like meeting artists that transition between conventions and magazines just to ask their thoughts, for example I met Tosh like...was it 9 years ago when I went to Japan for a college field trip. Guys were crazy chill even though we interacted by pantomime since my Japanese is shot and even showed me to some good(?) booths. They were crazy expensive (to me at the time) but it was a lot nicer actually having the book rather than seeing it online for once.

cntr

Banned
I'd bet on Harapeko no Marry and Dr. Stone being good, at least. Beelzebub was fun from the bits I read of it, and E21's writing was fantastic.

Makes sense. Though I'm not rational like that. I've bought at least 6 volumes and 3 weekly magazines each time I've gone. Sometimes more.

So, how much?

No sweet sweet import videogames and consoles? If i ever have the precious chance to go in Japan i categorically have to bring an empty suitcase and a couple of thousand of Eurobucks just for that.

Only problem with games is the ones that don't get localized are usually text heavy rpg's. I did want to get a famicom last time I was there, but I had already checked my bags before my last shopping trip.

That's a lot of new stuff. I won't be sad for any of the bottom 4 going away. Kinda looking forward to what the Beelzebub mangaka has coming up. I really enjoyed Beelzebub even though the ending was kinda eh.

LeleSocho

Banned
Only problem with games is the ones that don't get localized are usually text heavy rpg's. I did want to get a famicom last time I was there, but I had already checked my bags before my last shopping trip.

Oh but i wouldn't play most of them, just the joy of owning them in their original version... prime examples would be the console in your avatar and all its iterations.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction ch. 42

I feel like this teacher is gonna get Asano'd soon.

Ontan calling Kadode Princess Loose Legs though lol.

Damn, lets see whose getting new series...
Week 1: Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai (I can not study our lives, so comedy?) by Tsutsui Taishi (Did Esprit and Fukashigi Philia)
Week 2: U19 (I'm going to guess soccer or another sport) by Kimura Yuuji (Did Garden and Peach Pluck oneshots for WSJ both are eh)
Week 3: Poro no Ryuugaku-ki (Porori's Crowd, ????) by Gondaira Hitsuji (No real info)
Week 4: Harapeko no Marry (Google's translation is weird for this one) by Tamura Ryuuhei (Beelzebub's Mangaka)
Week 5: Dr. Stone (Action?) by Inagaki Riichirou and Boichi (Eyeshield 21 writer and Sun-Ken Rock's mangaka)
Week 6: Robot×Laserbeam (Action/comedy?) by Fujimaki Tadatoshi (Kuroko's Basketball's Mangka)
I guess this is what Jump has been brewing in hopes of getting something to live.

That's quite a lot. Though I wonder how many of these end up succeeding.

Also doesn't Boichi have a manga running already? And now he's drawing something for WSJ too? RIP his wrist.

Oh but i wouldn't play most of them, just the joy of owning them in their original version... prime examples would be the console in your avatar and all its iterations.

I guess so. I mean that's kinda why I buy Japanese manga that I probably won't read all of.
But at least with older games, there's a lot less text. I mean some of my PC engine games are just about entirely in English.

Horimiya 74

Well that was weird. Miyamura went a bit off the deep end in this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom