• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Notorious joke characters of GAF past

Status
Not open for further replies.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Drinky Krow is the only one I knew. I actually had heard about his antics before I ever posted on GAF. Thats...impressive I guess. Shawn Elliott and his friend Rory had a couple of joke characters on the old 1up boards. It got to the point where any member posted something remotely ludicrous, it was assumed the were an SE joke character. I think I know who a couple of them were, the legit ones, because he posted about it here.

Good times.

IrishNinja

farnham said:
hes permed ?

wait, what? ChiTownBuffalo was cool, never got this guy's beef with him, hopefully he ain't gone.

i totally thought the first icecream thread i came across was a joke i wasn't getting, but he (she?) seems alright too, to each their own.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
It was pretty funny when GAF actually allowed joke characters to run free. MAF, Drinky, Dennis Duck Fat. That shit was hilarious. Back then the mods were in on it and those guys would intentionally provoke new members into saying something that would get them banned, but I guess they all at one point or another went overboard. Nowadays the closest we have are AstroLad and the like, but it's not quite the same blatant trolling.

chapel

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
WYL seems kind of preoccupied with NeoGAF.
No question the majority of its members are current or ex members of gaf. A lot of people still post here, and who says you have to pick and choose, one or the other? GAF > Internet > GAF right?

Anyways, I personally am not to keen on the management here, so I rarely post, unless I have something to add, other than that I almost never read the site outside of some halogaf stuff.

jim-jam bongs said:
WYL seems kind of preoccupied with NeoGAF.
One of the "other" sites is so preoccupied with GAF that it's named after an unfavorite mod, and another one is a play on the Gaming-Age name. At least "Wasting Your Life" is a name that is original.

WTF. WYL is FREAKY. I never saw a GAF copy like this so excuse my astonishment. IT'S LIKE ... GAF is Superman and this shit is Bizarro.

Ceres

Banned
Lionel Mandrake said:
You know, say what you will about Costanza, but thanks to him I got Toy Story, Toy Story 2, and the Princess and the Frog, all on Blu-Ray and DVD, as well as two tickets for Toy Story 3, all for around $5.

That was pretty sweet.

I'll do it again:
http://www.slickdeals.com

Everything he posted was just grabbed from that site.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
allegate said:
One of the "other" sites is so preoccupied with GAF that it's named after an unfavorite mod, and another one is a play on the Gaming-Age name. At least "Wasting Your Life" is a name that is original.

Ehh, the site named after a GAF mod is hardly fixated on GAF outside of occasional complaints (usually when people get banned), especially nowadays... if anything it's more like a retirement home for close-knit GAF veterans who prefer a more laid back, goofier board with less strict moderation.

Has anyone asked where lemurs or The Black Stallion are yet in this thread?

I dunno if they count as legendary GAF trolls, but at least it'd be interesting to know what became of them. When I first got here in 2004, they were some of the more infamous members around these parts.

djtiesto said:
Ehh, the site named after a GAF mod is hardly fixated on GAF outside of occasional complaints (usually when people get banned), especially nowadays... if anything it's more like a retirement home for close-knit GAF veterans who prefer a more laid back, goofier board with less strict moderation.
To be fair I only know the name and the reasons for its creation, I don't visit very frequently.

kai3345 said:
Vigilant Walrus from the Awkward Stories Thread.
There is no way he is real

I'll see that and raise you Vigilant Walrus from the Random or odd things that you find attractive in the opposite/same sex thread

Vigilant Walrus said:
This is going to sound a little bit weird, but I like it when girls have deformations in the skin, like scars and holes and such.
I think it's because one of the first girls in school that I had a crush on, had some sort of disease where she needed to blow air out of her throat, and I really liked this girl, and it just sorta sticked.
It's not like weird shit like that turns me on... just stuff like that reminds me of my big childhood crush. It's weird and hard to explain - I just think it ads to it, if there is some small beauty flaws. of course not like a tranny, 6th toe or a third nipple or something, but just a little something that makes it different.
Its not like i only would want to date girls with holes in their throats:lol

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Sometimes certain communities are just better served by having a forum of their own run by their own accord, rather than carving out a niche in a larger all-encompassing forum.

PetriP-TNT said:
Bad joke characters: Pharmacy.

Uuggh....

At least he helped clear out the Pick-up thread from people posting stock images for awhile. Overreacted doing so? Yeah, but it seems to have helped. :lol

chapel

Banned
Hitokage said:
Sometimes certain communities are just better served by having a forum of their own run by their own accord, rather than carving out a niche in a larger all-encompassing forum.
You know I happen to agree with you, but the reason said community was purged from gaf wasn't because they didn't want to follow the rules. There was more to it than that, it is sad really. *tin foil hat*

The thing is though, there are tons of microcommunities on gaf, like halogaf, ningaf, applegaf, lostgaf, you name it. Why don't you make them all leave too?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Crushed was the stupidest character who tried too hard. You guys put it/him/her on this pedestal when the user was a smart ass who wanted attention at all turns. Kind of like some users now.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Crushed was the stupidest character who tried too hard. You guys put it/him/her on this pedestal when the user was a smart ass who wanted attention at all turns. Kind of like some users now.
*raises hand*

Shanadeus

Banned
allegate said:
I checked both of them out and they were pretty lame.
Obsessed with sexual innuendo and acting like dicks just because no one will ban them.

Thunder Monkey said:
Well you do have 52 posts in this thread, more then doubling the second highest.

Sometimes you can be such an attention whore you know that right?
And now this putz has scared everyone off.

I see what you have to deal with in here monkey.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
allegate said:

Unfortunately most of their content isn't :teehee

Shanadeus said:
I checked both of them out and they were pretty lame.
Obsessed with sexual innuendo and acting like dicks just because no one will ban them.
You can act however you want. If you don't want to be a dick, don't. I don't see how acting the way you want is worse than being forced to act how others want you to. How is having the freedom to say what you want a bad thing?

WYL seems pointless to me because it tries to be GAF and does nothing to differentiate itself from it. Just seems like a two bit knock off from the topics to the attitude.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
who's the guy that posts mad insensitive shit and then ends all his shit with PEACE. I like to read his post and then imagine one of the waynes brother popping out from a room somewhere and shouting MESSSAAAAGE.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
chapel said:
You know I happen to agree with you, but the reason said community was purged from gaf wasn't because they didn't want to follow the rules. There was more to it than that, it is sad really. *tin foil hat*
Yeah, like organizing in an IRC channel how you'll stick it to mods.

Edit: Yes, I'm aware that EviLore initially came down hard on that guy for disputing the merits of not letting official threads remain self-contained entities.

chapel said:

The thing is though, there are tons of microcommunities on gaf, like halogaf, ningaf, applegaf, lostgaf, you name it. Why don't you make them all leave too?
You should go back to WYL.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
it's like seeing several parallel universes running alongside one another concurrently, and when you die in this one, you just scoot over to the other one, and the differences are mostly negligible.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Combichristoffersen said:
Vigilante Walrus has been mentioned quite a few times, yes. He is indeed the gift that keeps on giving.

Yeah, the thing about this one is, you have to hope this guy is a joke character. If he isn't then it's seriously disturbing.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Red Blaster said:
Amir0x doesn't appear to be too popular at these alternate NeoGAFs.

i frequently disagree with amirox, but scurrying off to a facsimile of this place so you can gossip and trash him is gutless.

Razorskin

----- ------
salva said:
Gotta love how Chapel only posts on threads to pimp out WYL. I don't think I have ever seen a posts of him that's not about WYL.

He's a mod there so of course he's going to promote it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom