• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda BOTW Patch 1.11 released

mindatlarge

On the Switch here, the patch definitely fixes a lot of FPS issues in some pre-patch problem areas. Graphically, things look the same to me as they did pre-patch. See no reason to hold back on this patch.

Honestly kinda seems like this is Placebo Effect: The Thread.

23 pages and no solid evidence of improvements or downgrades, unless I missed something. I'll wait for Digital Foundry's analysis I guess.

You would have to be fucking blind to not notice the framerate is way better in stressed areas. Like that is not Placebo Effect.

Ecto311

Game still appears to be fun after the patch.

Man this is perfect. So much bickering over some silly shit. Does the world revolve around some make em ups game on a toy and if it gains or loses 2 frames in play.

It feels like the hype and everything else takes over people completely in these threads. Too bad this kind of fervor isn't used for something contructive.

Man this is perfect. So much bickering over some silly shit. Does the world revolve around some make em ups game on a toy and if it gains or loses 2 frames in play.

It feels like the hype and everything else takes over people completely in these threads. Too bad this kind of fervor isn't used for something contructive.

Says the guy with over 5000 posts on a gaming forum. Irony at its finest lol.

This is a thread about a patch. A patch many people hoped would improve dreadful performance.

trixx

Yeah looks like frames are improved. The pop-in is might be more apparent in respect with the draw distance or i might be seeing things.

Overall good stuff. Switch btw

Ecto311

Says the guy with over 5000 posts on a gaming forum. Irony at its finest lol.

This is a thread about a patch. A patch many people hoped would improve dreadful performance.

Well since we digging into someones info go over those 5k posts and find the ones where I am fawning over frame drops or patch hype.

Most of those are asking questions or helping others with things I know since I am also interested in toys/tech. Plus that is 5k over years and years. Having a job, kid, wife takes the sting out of a patch not making it run at 60 constant I guess.

I didn't know what to expect from the patch but it seems, to me, to be running at a slightly higher framerate, but the draw in seems worse. Don't really care, as I adore the game, but it was noticeable.

Skyzard

Banned
I didn't know what to expect from the patch but it seems, to me, to be running at a slightly higher framerate, but the draw in seems worse. Don't really care, as I adore the game, but it was noticeable.

That was my take after about 5 minutes with the wiiu version. Bit more popin, slightly more stable framerate.

Less grass?

Well since we digging into someones info go over those 5k posts and find the ones where I am fawning over frame drops or patch hype.

Most of those are asking questions or helping others with things I know since I am also interested in toys/tech. Plus that is 5k over years and years. Having a job, kid, wife takes the sting out of a patch not making it run at 60 constant I guess.

I'll be happy with constant 30 :)

One random ass thing I noticed on Wii U is that if you skip the Great Fairy upgrade animation, it almost always instantly skips it, when before it always faded to black for like 2-3 seconds.

Instro

I wonder if they will ever be able to do away with the hard drop down to 20 fps. That seems like too big of a task for patches. That strikes me as the real problem in all of this though. Variable framerate between 25-30fps is a hell of lot harder to notice than abrupt 10+ fps drops whenever it goes below 30.

J@hranimo

Banned
This thread got weird.

Been playing both docked and undocked and the overall performance is a LOT better. Haven't had any framedrops in the overall at all.

Anyone that says "well uh obviously this all place" doesn't have the game or might be playing on Wii U.

Kakariko is the worst area in the game from what I've seen, haven't checked it out post-patch. (Note that I'm far from finishing the game, though.)

Hateno seems improved, much smoother, as I recall it being choppier, but I should caution that I last visited it like ten or twenty hours ago. There's still some troublesome spots, on top of trees or exiting/entering buildings in busy areas, but it really does feel much better overall.
One random ass thing I noticed on Wii U is that if you skip the Great Fairy upgrade animation, it almost always instantly skips it, when before it always faded to black for like 2-3 seconds.

Oh man.

I checked the patch notes and that's totally in-line with what was adjusted.
Version 1.1.1
  • Adjustments have been made to make for a more pleasant gaming experience.
#gamechanger

I wonder if they will ever be able to do away with the hard drop down to 20 fps. That seems like too big of a task for patches. That strikes me as the real problem in all of this though. Variable framerate between 25-30fps is a hell of lot harder to notice than abrupt 10+ fps drops whenever it goes below 30.

It's gone on Switch. Any frame drops are between 25-29 imo. The framerates not a perfect 30 but it's a massive, massive improvement with the new patch.

En-ou

Anyone noticed excessive bloom/brightness in korok forest and the blood moon cutscene?

Wiiu version here. Also, I can confirm the frame rate is better in towns.

Seik

Banned
I've been playing a lot with the new patch on Switch.

A lot of places with lags like Kakariko and Plateau are now pretty perfect, if not, really improved from before. Still noticed lags in some dense forest places but were less severe.

I didn't notice any graphical downgrades, so it's a great progress from before to me so far.

Instro

It's gone on Switch. Any frame drops are between 25-29 imo. The framerates not a perfect 30 but it's a massive, massive improvement with the new patch.

Haven't really tested yet myself, that would be interesting though. Maybe that's all they did with this patch, rather than any other optimizing.

I've been playing a lot with the new patch on Switch.

A lot of places with lags like Kakariko and Plateau are now pretty perfect, if not, really improved from before. Still noticed lags in some dense forest places but were less severe.

I didn't notice any graphical downgrades, so it's a great progress from before to me so far.

So they just pulled some extra performance out of their ass?

Mega

Banned
I was in an open grassy area in the Akkala region and had Bokoblins on horseback pop in and out a distance away, at will as I moved towards/away from them. I've never been able to do that before and know for a fact I could always see enemies from further away without this ever happening. It was pretty jarring... and then a couple popped up almost right on top of me. As bad as I remember in Xenoblade X on Wii U. I have 100+ hours and never seen anything this bad until after the patch.

Edit: should mention this was in handheld mode.

Jobbs

Banned
Version 1.1.1
Adjustments have been made to make for a more pleasant gaming experience.

I hope they fixed the bug where it stops being fun after 20 hours or so because you've effectively done everything and the challenge is gone

shiyrley

Banned
So they just pulled some extra performance out of their ass?
Is it the first time a game has received additional code optimization via a patch? Why are people this confused about such a simple concept?

When Witcher 3 got heavy framerate improvement in one of the patches, I didn't see confused people thinking "what the tradeoff was". People understood the word "optimization". Did we suddenly forget it?

NewGame

Banned
Be warned, I updated the Wii U version and really regret it. The resolution is lower, shadows look far worse, texture detail takes a big hit and the draw distance is much closer. It's a huge visual downgrade.

I'm pretty sure looking at the ocean from mountain tops has always looked like that.

Instro

I was in an open grassy area in the Akkala region and had Bokoblins on horseback pop in and out a distance away, at will as I moved towards/away from them. I've never been able to do that before and know for a fact I could always see enemies from further away without this ever happening. It was pretty jarring... and then a couple popped up almost right on top of me. As bad as I remember in Xenoblade X on Wii U. I have 100+ hours and never seen anything this bad until after the patch.

Yeah testing for the first time post patch in docked mode, pop in definitely seems more aggressive now.

Dremorak

Banned
Wait, people are questioning if the update does anything? Ffs. Been playing post patch for about 6 hours. Almost no drops anywhere outside that one forest. Even in docked mode. Anyone doubting this obviously hasn't played it at all

atr0cious

Just had my first screen tear ever while fighting about 6 bokoblins in southern hyrule field in that camp next to a small bridge and some overgrown guardians.

This is how it was prepatch for Wii U.

Dremorak

Banned
I hope they fixed the bug where it stops being fun after 20 hours or so because you've effectively done everything and the challenge is gone

Thats crazy, I'm over 90 hours in and still have heaps to do and actually just about died fighting a blue bokoblin on a horse with lightning arrows lol.

Top Bottom