• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter: World (PS4/XB1 early 2018, PC later, directed by MH4 lead planner)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanstesy

That rumor floating around doesnt make sense.

If Sony is partially funding this then why would they allow it on Xbox and Pc?

Because they want MH to be a system seller in Japan. Imagine if this game would be on the Switch as well and how many potential people would not buy a PS4 as a result in the future.

Ridley327

3a8FKJH.gif

Is that flowing water knocking the monster over? And is that a monster eating another monster?

The boss monsters eating other smallers monsters isn't new (it's been a feature for a long time), though we've never seen anything that elaborate before. That's generally your cue to wail away on it for free and hopefully get an easy tail cut.

jwhit28

I came in in third gen, and I loved the balance of fantastical and realistic. I still adore Lagiacrus and Qurupeco for their aesthetic.

Yes, stuff like Brachydios is silly and with Generations and XX you started to see Frontier over the top stuff creep in, but I would take colorful and fantastical over a T-Rex with fuzz.

All can be forgiven if I get my Qurupeco memes back.

This better have Tadayoshi Makino/Reo Uratani/Hideyuki Fukasawa/Akihiko Narita music in some way.

I still can't get over how much that T-Rex creature looks like undercooked chicken with hair. I hope they spice it up a bit, and add more color to the world in general. Everything looks so drab, but maybe it's just this area.

Kinsei, gurl, see you on PC.

Looks neat. Hope the difficulty isn't nerfed.

Much as I really don't mind the games being on handheld I have a really hard time playing Monster Hunter on the bus so being on a console's pretty OK for me; played all the other ones at home anyway.

Only 5 people liked underwater combat in Tri. I guess you're one of them.

It was so poorly received they got rid of it and never looked back. Maybe they can bring it back with better controls and movement.

I liked Swimming in Tri too (not so much in 3G). One of the few things about the new game that I'm not really down on.

Estoc

If I'm not clumsily holding 3 buttons at once while using my dick to aim the analog stick, then it's not real MH.

Reading your replies throughout the thread, it seems you're really upset from previous experience with the git-gud crowd in MH...

I don't think that's what people are complaining about, but you're free to believe what you want. EmCeeGramr and several others have already detailed why they're skeptical about the game, yet here you are, being dismissive because some people don't agree with your HYPE OMG WOOOOO!!

Seriously, go take it up to the git-gudders if you're so upset about them, because I haven't seen one here yet.

I'm sure the community would prefer to play the games in 1080p with new textures rather than a 240p screen.

Or do they prefer the 3DS over both Switch and PS4?

They would if they got a new version that has better textures.

I said traditional MH. If this game differs significantly from the core gameplay expected from the series, which it may with the inclusions and style changes, I doubt graphics will lead to some mass emigration. Maybe new blood, but not the abandonment you proposed.

That rumor floating around doesnt make sense.

If Sony is partially funding this then why would they allow it on Xbox and Pc?

Hmm, I think I've got it. Sony didn't "fund" the game development, but they will probably pay for the marketing of game in the west the same way Nintendo did. If I recall, Sony refusing to market P3rdHD is the exact reason why it was never localized.

El Odio

Banned
This was in the trailer they showed...
Huh, I'll have to watch again but I guess I was too taken back by the detective vision and grapple shenanigans to notice all the quick cuts of combat. I thought that was from those new clips on the site others were talking about earlier.

JP_

Banned

Just a hunch, but my guess is that this isn't the standard behavior -- that it's showing something like a super move for the bowgun where you temporarily go full auto. Weapon design probably wouldn't still have the crossbow design if full auto was default behavior. Could be wrong though.

FingerBang

Hmm, I think I've got it. Sony didn't "fund" the game development, but they will probably pay for the marketing of game in the west the same way Nintendo did. If I recall, Sony refusing to market P3rdHD is the exact reason why it was never localized.

It is PS4 exclusive in Japan, they definitely paid for that.

Prophane33

Hope we hear something about XX tomorrow. I've played 2 of the last 3 Monhun games in Japanese, but I was really hoping to play this one in English on the Switch (preferably as part of a Monhun themed switch bundle).

The info tidbits from the community manager has at least restored some of my faith in this. Still going to be worried until I actually play it and feel the gameplay flow.

Hmm, I think I've got it. Sony didn't "fund" the game development, but they will probably pay for the marketing of game in the west the same way Nintendo did. If I recall, Sony refused to market P3rdHD is the exact reason why it was never localized.
That doesn't make sense to me though. Why would they take the bulk of the marketing in the west when the game is on 2 other viable competing platforms in the region. It made sense for Nintendo to pretty much adopt the series when they were getting it exclusive in the west but Sony doesn't have that claim.

Salaadin

I don't hate what I saw. There's a lot of good here.
Hopefully we get some gameplay over the next few days. If not, I'll be eagerly anticipating the demonstration on the 20th.

Kinsei

Banned
Eh, I think swimming needs improvement. Could we agree on that?
Weapon balancing within water was so poorly done.. :(

Of course. It was quite rough, but it was still a ton of fun despite that. I was really looking forward to seeing how they would improve it in MH4 but then they just dropped it instead.

Reading your replies throughout the thread, it seems you're really upset from previous experience with the git-gud crowd in MH...

I don't think that's what people are complaining about, but you're free to believe what you want. EmCeeGramr and several others have already detailed why they're skeptical about the game, yet here you are, being dismissive because some people don't agree with your HYPE OMG WOOOOO!!

Seriously, go take it up to the git-gudders if you're so upset about them, because I haven't seen one here yet.

I've played MH since the PS2. Been good since the PS2. Played all the ones on PSP and 3DS. Logged in about 200 hours on PS2 and 300+ on PSP and 3DS. I main greatsword, longsword, dual blades, and bowguns. I play with randoms online and have a great time.

I take issue with people who want more of the same when we've been getting that and will continue to be getting that. I don't see skepticism from some people. The hardcore traditionalists are the ones being dismissive, despite all previous MH games have had cinematic action trailers with crazier stuff than this trailer showed.

bbdqdv1.gif

Can't tell if this is like a fast travel system or if it's more of a pre-baked way for players to join another player (flare seems to signal for others to join?)
Most likely both, since it's open world we will need a way to get to different parts of the world, even when venturing out alone.

I LOVE the way the world is looking so far too, this area is so dense and detailed. Hopefully there's other areas like desert and snow as well.

EDarkness

The community 100% wants XX. It's a known game that gives us what we want, not something nebulous that might leave behind what we enjoy.

Do they? I've seen a lot of folks say they have no need for that game now. No idea why Capcom announced that game for the NS when Worlds is right around the corner.

Kyoufu

Hrmmm...this looks a bit different for MH gameplay. MH gameplay is mostly about precision attacks. I sure hope they don't gimp the gameplay.

They clearly haven't. It just looks like gunners can actually use guns without feeling like they've been transported to the 1990s when people were still figuring out how controls work.

Long range weapon controls need to be less clunky and modernised to feel good. Look at games that do archery really well like Dragon's Dogma and Horizon as examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom