• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N. Korea sentences American to 15 years labor (Up: Otto Warmbier has died)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zophar

If I were president, it would take every fiber of my being to keep a cool and rational head and not to launch a retaliation against them for it.

Lucky for us, you probably care more about the life of any single American civilian more than our current POTUS.

Liha

Banned
I have a hard time not considering this as an act of war. Taking one of our citizens for their own petty personal purposes, and treating them like a savage, causing their death.

If I were president, it would take every fiber of my being to keep a cool and rational head and not to launch a retaliation against them for it.

You want to start a nuclear war because of 1 dead guy? I feel sorry for him and his family but starting a war is just wow.

Instead of worrying about fucking Cuba, the administration should be far more concerned about our citizens going to NK.
There's an easy solution to that. Someone​ should get Obama to say that USA citizens should be able to go to NK.
Trump would issue a travel ban to NK in less than 24h.

smh.

This is so damn tragic, and infuriating. RIP.

His blood is absolutely on NK's hands and I hope our government does something about it. Wholly unacceptable.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
You want to start a nuclear war because of 1 dead guy? I feel sorry for him and his family but starting a war is just wow.

I mentioned retaliation not war, and I didn't say I'd do it, but I'd be damn well tempted to. I'm sorry, but I'd have a hard time letting them just take one of the people who as a president I'd feel responsible for and let them treat him like a piece of trash until he dies.

Now would I start a war? Of course not, because that would lead to more lives lost, but something would be done, not necessarily in terms of arms or warfare.

A travel ban wouldn't work as North Korea already denies entry to Americans.

Usually, Americans get in by bribing the North Korean embassy in China and getting a fake Australian or Canadian passport.

I have a hard time not considering this as an act of war. Taking one of our citizens for their own petty personal purposes, and treating them like a savage, causing their death.

You would choose millions of your allies dying and huge war for one death.

That is insane.

What they hell does anyone think we can do when the say, "our government should retaliate"?

More sanctions? More China tough talk?

You would choose millions of your allies dying and huge war for one death.

That is insane.

Basically ...

A death that should have never happened as well, because Americans should never travel to NK.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

That's about the opposite thing to do in this situation. It's bad but there are warnings on going to certain places in this world for Americans. I'm not even sure why anyone would want to visit North Korea. The DMZ is enough for me.

That's about the opposite thing to do in this situation. It's bad but there are warnings on going to certain places in this world for Americans. I'm not even sure why anyone would want to visit North Korea. The DMZ is enough for me.

Doesn't a visit to the DMZ allow people to cross the line and technically be in North Korea?

In the blue house.

I'm sorry for quoting this again

But this is why NK is so paranoid and building nukes.

No other country is threatened with war for the mistreatment death of one national. It shows a desire for war looking for a pretext. Lots of governments have mistreated US citizens and lead to their deaths. Its all horrible. But its not a casus belli

Its no wonder that NK's chief policy is a deterrent that would foreclose on people thinking like this.

Condolences to the family. I can't imagine what that would have been like for Otto and his family.

I mentioned retaliation not war, and I didn't say I'd do it, but I'd be damn well tempted to. I'm sorry, but I'd have a hard time letting them just take one of the people who as a president I'd feel responsible for and let them treat him like a piece of trash until he dies.

Now would I start a war? Of course not, because that would lead to more lives lost, but something would be done, not necessarily in terms of arms or warfare.

It's people believing that they have the full protectiom of the government and doing stupid things will just get them a slap on the wrist. It happens frequently with teens and young adults sadly. The end result is heartbreaking. But anyone blaming the government for not doing enough is silly. The government isn't going to spark a large international conflict because of one person who ignored all safety warnings, restrictions and took actions they knew were dangerous, possibly deadly.

Outside or a military conflict there's really nothing we can do. We've thrown the book at North Korea already. The only think we could do is get China more involved and frankly, they really don't care. North Korea exists as a buffer zone. As long as they don't prove a big enough threat, they'll essentially never be touched.

I'm sorry for quoting this again

But this is why NK is so paranoid and building nukes.

No other country is threatened with war for the mistreatment death of one national. It shows a desire for war looking for a pretext. Lots of governments have mistreated US citizens and lead to their deaths.

Its no wonder that NK's chief policy is a deterrent that would foreclose on people thinking like this.

Meh ...

NK doesn't run the risk of war if they just sit in their ivory towers and stop building nukes though. The humanitarian crisis along with proximity to SK and China borders act as nice deterrents as is.

neojubei

Doesn't a visit to the DMZ allow people to cross the line and technically be in North Korea?

In the blue house.
That's a no. It's a place to visit to see and feel the tension of both nations but it's not a place to cross over. I think the North Koreans would immediately arrest you if you did.

Meh ...

NK doesn't run the risk of war if they just sit in their ivory towers and stop building nukes though. The humanitarian crisis along with proximity to SK and China borders act as nice deterrents as is.

When one is dealing with a sane, rational actor on the other side, sure. I'd readily agree with that conclusion.

Alas, the orange cretin rules.

Also, as a previous US administration has shown, the country is not above simply making shit up and disregarding UN findings if they wanna bomb some place.

Meh ...

I mean, if we signed a peace deal, maybe. But they saw Gaddafi, Saddam and Norega.

There's no guarantee if your chief goal is regime security. Also nukes enable coercive diplomacy which would give them a stronger hand in any negotiations with Japan or SK

That's a no. It's a place to visit to see and feel the tension of both nations but it's not a place to cross over. I think the North Koreans would immediately arrest you if you did.

That's correct. They warn you, that essentially the moment you step over the line, they cannot help you and you will be arrested, detained and all that entails being NK.

Edit: At least that's what I've been told.

When one is dealing with a sane, rational actor on the other side, sure. I'd readily agree with that conclusion.

Alas, the orange cretin rules.

Also, as a previous US administration has shown, the country is not above simply making shit up and disregarding UN findings if they wanna bomb some place.

True, but building nukes and ICBM's started before orange turd took over. Saber-rattling has seemed to increase, but that's my just speaking anecdotally.

I mean, if we signed a peace deal, maybe. But they saw Gaddafi, Saddam and Norega.

There's no guarantee if your chief goal is regime security. Also nukes enable coercive diplomacy which would give them a stronger hand in any negotiations with Japan or SK

Curious how much their leverage in negotiations changes if their good will with china decreases as they continue towards nuclear capabilities.

neojubei

Damn just remembered I knew a guy who was captured by North Korea and he was let go. He tried to kill himself a few times while detained there. I'd better not say no more. I remember he told me to look him up online. And I was blown away when I found out about all of this.

Ok. So instead of a bribe, now you're paying an entrance fee.

Most countries have visa fees....

but your post made two contentions

1) Americans were prohibited, this was never true and even less so after 2010

2) They are getting fake passports, which I can find no evidence of

Awful news, but after one year coma his fate was probably sealed. Poor guy, RIP.
Yeah. It's time to teach NK that the only people aloud to murder Americans with zero repercussions are the police.

Haven't they killed foreign nationals as well? (through incompetence rather than malice I hope)

Curious how much their leverage in negotiations changes if their good will with china decreases as they continue towards nuclear capabilities.

NK can probably run out the clock on either.

I'm of the opinion baring a radical change from China or Russia (or a formal peace threaty with the US) they will have nukes capable of reaching the entire US, save maybe Miami within 6-7 years.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
For those in this thread that blamed the victim. I hope you feel like shit because you really deserve to. Absolutely fucking shameful behaviour.

Are you saying American visa fees line the pockets of nameless government officials or that North Korean entry fees are on the level processing expenses?

In a week I'm going to Russia, Mongolia and China and the amount of cash I've spent on visas is well above 400 euro :\ Just the mongolian one (for a 1 day pass) was almost 300 euro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom