• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Review Thread

belvedere

Junior Butler
Huggers said:
There is a vid somewhere of a rally car with it's bumper on the road it's doors flapping open etc... How do I make this happen!?

Last night in the Lambo only race (professional series I believe?) I was able to get my bumper to flap around on my Murciélago.

This was at lvl 14 btw.

The creeping and eventually overriding feeling is that this meticulously precise simulation, and its lovingly constructed catalogue of automotive history, deserved a little more game to come along for the ride.
Doesnt this magazine always complain about the trend of games being like interactive movies? Yet they complain that a game purely about interaction is not gamey enough. And the article is pretentious enough to not even define what it means by " it deserved a little more game", it just ends on that note. If the simulation, cars and tracks in a simulator isnt the core game, then what is?

Huggers

belvedere said:
Last night in the Lambo only race (professional series I believe?) I was able to get my bumper to flap around on my Murciélago.

This was at lvl 14 btw.

Yeah I'm level 21 and have smashed the shit out of my Lambo (often not on purpose) and had some fairly sever damage but never anything to this level http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGWih-RTbXQ

If as Psycohtext says it's just for that one motor it gives me hope that it will improve through patches for other cars

zoukka

theignoramus said:
Doesnt this magazine always complain about the trend of games being like interactive movies? Yet they complain that a game purely about interaction is not gamey enough. And the article is pretentious enough to not even define what it means by " it deserved a little more game", it just ends on that note. If the simulation, cars and tracks in a simulator isnt the core game, then what is?

Has to do with the challenge mostly I believe.

Challenge the AI, though, and traditional GT rules apply. Driver skill takes a back seat to turning up with the correct equipment for the job. In all but the highest echelons, the key to success is often as straightforward as fitting race-spec slick tyres to your vehicle – the night and day difference in grip usually converts almost any car that meets the entry requirements into a potential winner.

marc^o^ said:
The user interface, or so it seems.

The UI of a game is always present, whatever you do in a game. So yeah it's pretty damn important. Even more so in long games :)

lowrider007 said:
I called it for Edge,

There was noway they was going to give GT5 more than a 7/10 after only doing the same for GT4.

I agree 100%. A lot of reviewers just don't like the style of the game, which I prefer and find it unbelievably addictive. Its like when people call Starcrafts gameplay "old" and something like Company of heroes "modern" or "the future" of RTS, but I cant stand COH and Starcrafts resource management is my favourite type of design. At this point, reviewers are bashing a clear design choice instead of a "flaw" and it becomes 100% subjective.

DasRaven

Psychotext said:
Smash up that particular rally car. It's one of the few vehicles that has that much damage... if not the only one.

Indeed. In Yamauchi's latest twitter session it was made pretty clear that there are 3 levels of visual damage in GT5 and no mechanical damage yet.

L1 - Standard Damage (scratches/deformation, standard models)
L2 - Premium Damage (dislocation, premium models)
L3 - Premium Race Model Damage (detachment, Nascar/Rally/RM models)

zoukka

Lion Heart said:
I agree 100%. A lot of reviewers just don't like the style of the game, which I prefer and find it unbelievably addictive. Its like when people call Starcrafts gameplay "old" and something like Company of heroes "modern" or "the future" of RTS, but I cant stand COH and Starcrafts resource management is my favourite type of design. At this point, reviewers are bashing a clear design choice instead of a "flaw" and it becomes 100% subjective.

Starcraft II had excellent UI, single player and multiplayer infrastructure.

marc^o^ said:
The user interface, or so it seems.

While GT5's user interface is so-so, how they're measuring that against a best-in-class driving simulation component is what puzzles me a tad. Does a tremendous and feature-rich driving game deserve a 7 because the menus can sometimes seem slow and the graphics inconsistent? According to some reviews that's exactly the case. Seems slightly backwards in my eyes.

zoukka

LabouredSubterfuge said:
While GT5's user interface is so-so, how they're measuring that against a best-in-class driving simulation component is what puzzles me a tad. Does a tremendous and feature-rich driving game deserve a 7 because the menus can sometimes seem slow and the graphics inconsistent? According to some reviews that's exactly the case. Seems slightly backwards in my eyes.

You forgot the archaic Online mode and the lack of challenge.

zoukka said:

Have you actually played the game? There is a definite challenge in the game, especially as your progress into different racing tiers. Just because reviewers want to take the easy way out by taking a 500hp car into a race with 250hp cars doesn't mean that the AI is bad. And interesting that so many reviewers are criticizing GT5's AI yet none of them seemed to notice that F1 2010 faked their AI during qualifying. Gamers found this out within a day of having the game yet reviewers likely had it weeks in advance and never noticed something that truly is terrible AI.

-viper- said:
That reminds me - I wonder how many reviewers actually used a DFGT or a wheel for this game. My guess is... probably none.

Well, being that less than 10% (being generous) even play the game with a wheel, why would they? I mean, even in the hardcore GAF thread of Awesome I see a small amount of people using the wheel.

zoukka said:

Lack of challenge?!? :lol

Either you're the best fucking sim racer in the world, or an idiot. And I'm assuming you're not the best sim racer in the world.

flyinpiranha said:
Well, being that less than 10% (being generous) even play the game with a wheel, why would they? I mean, even in the hardcore GAF thread of Awesome I see a small amount of people using the wheel.

Actually, I think most people in that GT5 thread have wheels. Even people that aren't into racing games are buying wheels for GT5. The DS3 users seem to be in the minority.

hurricanepilot

Neo Member
amar212 said:
Can anybody link me to another source of this particular info:

Archtechnica review:
I’ve also encountered a bug, along with other wheel users (the make seems to be unimportant) where, after playing for a while, a small amount of brake pressure is automatically applied without me having anything to do with it. This prevents the car from gaining speed.

I haven't heard about this?

Happened to me a few times during the first couple of days, and for about half an hour when doing the first top gear challenge, exactly as he describes.

I'm not suggesting he's as dumb as me, but I fixed it by turning the dual-shock (that I'd been using to navigate the menus and had casually tossed aside) the right way up and resting it astride a tv remote so that neither the right stick nor the triggers had any pressure on them. I do this now as a matter of course and I've not seen the problem since.

SolidSnakex said:
Actually, I think most people in that GT5 thread have wheels. Even people that aren't into racing games are buying wheels for GT5. The DS3 users seem to be in the minority.

I disagree but it really doesn't matter in the long run as a VAST majority of GT5 players will not use a wheel. Too bad we can't do a poll.

zoukka said:
Has to do with the challenge mostly I believe.
lack of challenge in GT5? Maybe at the entry levels when you can overpower everything, but I just did a 2 lap race at Le Mans in the Professional series with a 890 HP Mclaren MP4 and the AI was fighting me every step of the way. Lack of challenge in the Special Events? Forget about the Top gear challenges, which are brutal enough, AMG driving school is ruthless. There is plenty of challenge to be had, even in B-Spec mode. Now if you want to criticize the AI, then do that, but don't pretend that represents a lack of challenge across the board.
"the lack of challenge".... You're either an awesome driver or a flat out liar.:lol

zoukka said:

What the crap? :lol The online mode in GT5 is so far ahead of most games it's even funny... What other games allow you to change maps while still maintaining the entire UI where you can change cars, chat, voice chat, change settings etc?

The netcode is pretty much flawless, I was playing with Crushdance the other day, he's from Canada I'm from Portugal, there was NO lag what so ever. None. And this includes hit detection on collisions.

The whole Community menus inside the GT Life are also awesome, it's like it's always one big community every time you play.

I keep hearing people saying the online in GT5 is crap... I mean, what the fuck? Compared to what?

Oh wait... is it because it doesn't have Matchmaking? THANK GOD it doesn't.

h3ro

zoukka said:

o______O

Michael Schumacher posts on GAF!

Also, netcode is pretty good. Love the option to run warmup laps from the lobby while everyone is dicking around or making fun of firewire. Haven't seen other online sim racers with that option so not really archaic either.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Metalmurphy said:
What the crap? :lol The online mode in GT5 is so far ahead of most games it's even funny... What other games allow you to change maps while still maintaining the entire UI where you can change cars, chat, voice chat, change settings etc?

The netcode is pretty much flawless, I was playing with Crushdance the other day, he's from Canada I'm from Portugal, there was NO lag what so ever. None. And this includes hit detection on collisions.

The whole Community menus inside the GT Life are also awesome, it's like it's always one big community every time you play.

I keep hearing people saying the online in GT5 is crap... I mean, what the fuck? Compared to what?

Oh wait... is it because it doesn't have Matchmaking? THANK GOD it doesn't.
The only thing that compares to me is Blur. That lacks the community features that GT5 has though. And it runs less smooth. GT must use dedicated servers or something.

-viper-

Banned
zoukka said:
:lol

I guess you're the greatest driver in the world, right? This is probably the most difficult racing game I've played. In that case I suppose you golded the Top Gear and AMG Challenges on your first try without assists or without any issues?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
theignoramus said:
lack of challenge in GT5? Maybe at the entry levels when you can overpower everything, but I just did a 2 lap race at Le Mans in the Professional series with a 890 HP Mclaren MP4 and the AI was fighting me every step of the way. Lack of challenge in the Special Events? Forget about the Top gear challenges, which are brutal enough, AMG driving school is ruthless. There is plenty of challenge to be had, even in B-Spec mode. Now if you want to criticize the AI, then do that, but don't pretend that represents a lack of challenge across the board.
"the lack of challenge".... You're either an awesome driver or a flat out liar.:lol
This video tests the AI in GT5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA5jIuoP4bs

The AI reacts in a non scripted way to the Mercedes. AI could be better, but it's nowhere near as bad as I read in some reviews.

Darkkn

I'm really loving this game much more than i thought i would, but i think it's good that reviews don't give this game a pass since there is obviously a lot of things that are not up to par with other entries in the genre or just generally could easily be better(UI).

Hopefully PD will take this feedback to heart while keeping their vision of the game. I just feel like there is like there is problems in development process(i guess it's a thing for Japanese companies trying to make AAA next-gen products) and some reality distortion fields going on due their previous massive success.

zoukka

-viper- said:
In that case I suppose you golded the Top Gear and AMG Challenges on your first try without assists or without any issues?

No it took several tries actually. The special events are the best part of the game easily. The A-spec races are the ones without challenge. Though this just depends on what you take on the track. Also if the later races have better challenge/AI, then great. But the three first classes are way too easy and the AI drivers have 0% aggressive behaviour.

And interesting that so many reviewers are criticizing GT5's AI yet none of them seemed to notice that F1 2010 faked their AI during qualifying. Gamers found this out within a day of having the game yet reviewers likely had it weeks in advance and never noticed something that truly is terrible AI.

Well these ARE videogames. I don't want pure rubberband AI in my games, but I still want to feel that I'm not alone in the track with train cars going around it.

erahk64

jett said:
Huh, so there's no mechanical damage at all in the game? In-store demos showed mechanical damage...

I think it means the damage doesn't affect car handling, it's just visual damage.

Omiee

anybody a gallardo and a racing truck please, i will even lend you my jaguar limited something racing car i got from facebook ( for you us guys who dident get it off course )

marc^o^

News24Games - 9/10
I have played many a current-gen driving game, but could tell after just the first few races that Gran Turismo 5 has got something special going on. Let’s get this out from the start, people: this is the most amazing simulated driving experience I have ever had.[...]its physics and graphics engines are simply incredible, and the addition of online play now allows for infinitely varied racing experiences. [...] What else can we say other than Gran Turismo 5 is videogaming excellence with just a few minor things spoiling what would otherwise be a 10/10 title.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
marc^o^ said:
This would be the one that would fall in line closest to my own. A near 10 with some minor flaws which don't take away from the experience. I can't say it upsets me too much how some nitpick things that don't bother me. As long as someone doesn't add things like development cycle and opinion based nitpicks to knock it down. The music and UI/menus are 2 big points which I disagree with on the criticisms.

zoukka

jakonovski said:
That's one of the vaguest reviews I've ever read. He loves the game but can't be bothered to go into specifics to tell us exactly why.

Weird that he isn't being called out on not playing the game enough huh...

marc^o^

jakonovski said:
That's one of the vaguest reviews I've ever read. He loves the game but can't be bothered to go into specifics to tell us exactly why.
Ask him why in the comments, he answered many questions already.

That Ars review was interesting. Interesting that it would be considered a "rent" with how much can be unlocked in this game and the time that would take. Aside from there being almost 10 Forza references in 3 pages, the topper was that the reviewer bought a Ps3 a week or so in advance with GT5P, and was hoping against hope that things would be improved. Sorry, it just felt slanted to me, and it was obvious the person was never going to give a proper review.

One thing that we all should know though, these are nothing more than people's opinions, and a rental is a good way to see if the game is right for you. What bothers one person, may mean squat to you. I can fully admit some of the design/development choices in this game are puzzling, but when it comes down to getting in the car and racing, it's fantastic. I've been to plenty of track days in my life, and it's better to navigate through a few menus, than pack up a set of wheels, check pressures, work the course :) The driving is brilliant in this game, and that's what really matters when you get down to it. I really think gaming has been reduced to people over analyzing, looking for the worst, or what should have been, instead of playing and having fun.

Huggers

Omiee said:
anybody a gallardo and a racing truck please, i will even lend you my jaguar limited something racing car i got from facebook ( for you us guys who dident get it off course )

Add me I'll loan you the truck

marc^o^

zoukka said:
Weird that he isn't being called out on not playing the game enough huh...
Gamerevolution were glad they played the game enough:
Gamerevolution said:
the GT series has always been about the driving experience and a superhuman attention to detail. And purely on its merits as a driving game, GT5 has no equal on consoles. None combines a rich simulation experience with such an instantly accessible racing game.
[...]
The AI also doesn’t seem to put up much of a fight until later in the game, but when it does start to show its true colors, you’ll wonder if you’re even playing the same game anymore.
[...]
Sony buried more than a few other surprises in GT5 that they didn’t foreground much in the lead-up to release (the rally courses are procedurally generated, for crying out loud!). All I can say is I’m very glad I put serious hours into this game before passing final judgment.
[...]
Sitting around picking nits is missing the point. Like a quality automaker, Polyphony Digital focuses on the tiny technical details so that we don’t have to. And trust me, Gran Turismo 5 is OCD enough for all of us.

dwebo

zoukka said:
No it took several tries actually. The special events are the best part of the game easily. The A-spec races are the ones without challenge. Though this just depends on what you take on the track. Also if the later races have better challenge/AI, then great. But the three first classes are way too easy and the AI drivers have 0% aggressive behaviour.
Exactly. I thought it was brilliant how they did it. Nobody should complain about the difficulty (at least until some of the extreme events with tighter restrictions) because the challenge you derive from a-spec (and b-spec) races is entirely up to the player. You want it easier? Pay more credits - buy a better car or better parts. You want it harder? Use a worse car.

The special events suffer in this regard because the difficulty is often inflexible, due to car and driving aid limitations.

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of stuff wrong with the game. A-spec difficulty isn't one of them.

Progmetal

Norwegian Spillmagasinet gave it 5/6

All in all is Gran Turismo 5 a entertaining and challenging game that just gives and gives. You'll probably going to hate it in the beginning, but when everything clicks it's a big possibility that this is going to be your favorite. If you ever felt your blood boil just a tiny bit by the sound of an engine, you got to have this game.

Pressfire.no also gave it 5/6

The last Car game you have to buy.

zoukka said:
The A-spec races are the ones without challenge. Though this just depends on what you take on the track.
hasn't GT always been like that? I feel like my Gran Turismo 3 experience was a function of saving up enough money to simply get superior parts and cars relative to the competition. Some races would be close because of similar equipment. Others wouldn't even be close. I feel like as much as 50% of my races featured me in a far superior car. But I'd be surprised if that were unique to GT.

Progmetal said:
Norwegian Spillmagasinet gave it 5/6

Pressfire.no also gave it 5/6
out of 6? what, 5 or 10 or 100 isn't good enough? someone always has to try to be special.

Massa said:
zoukka
Banned
(Today, 05:51 PM)
Reply | Quote
zoukka said:

He got banned for that?

J-Rzez

marc^o^ said:
Compare it to the 9 they gave to the other game:
http://www.next-gen.biz/features/review-forza-3

The change of tone is radical, for what are basically 2 great games with different qualities.

People shouldn't be surprised here with Edge for multiple reasons of course.

Other "Reviewers" are here to protect the gamer though of course, standing up against the mighty king of sim games, who has put the genre on the map, for taking their sweet time building the most complete and feature packed game ever for just $60. Not to mention how many times it's obvious they revamped the physics model. Instead, they'd rather applaud developers who pump out sequel after sequel in a years time with updates so small you have to be beaten over the head to even notice them.

GT5 has it's flaws of course, some very glaring considering what we expected out of it, but the goods far and aways outweigh the bads, and the "highs" are on a totally different level than anything we had to date before. But the reviewers will attack the hell out of this game for obvious reason again. Unfortunately, said reviewers don't attack other games for having glaring issues, and they don't even wince when they're actually FACTUALLY wrong about a game and it's features in their review.

Gaming journalism is dead, it's been dead for years now. There's no real unbiased, agenda wielding, greased-palm review site out there unfortunately, just wish there was at least one that would be factually correct on game features even. But even that's asking too much.

Top Bottom